DCL to RCI - big learning curve!

My TA who specializes in Disney Cruises had mentioned to me on several occasions I should try RCL. After a few years of my TA telling me about RCL I decided to try especially since my friends where going to sail on RCL and I wanted to be on the same cruise. I contacted my TA and he made all the arrangements for my cruise. They also walked me through all the differences between DCL and RCL (since prior to my RCL I had sailed with DCL 8 times). I had sailed on Anthem a few weeks after it had gone through that storm and sustained some damage. My cruise was great and I had a wonderful time sailing with my friends on the Anthem but after my RCL cruise I've come to realize that I clearly prefer DCL. Yeah, RCL was more cost efficient compared to DCL and has plenty of activities for everyone that DCL doesn't even offer (virtual surfing, virtual skydiving, bumper cars, roller skating, and the rock wall). I also enjoyed all the technology around the ship and in my stateroom (I enjoyed my virtual balcony stateroom). The paid dining options where also plentiful (and I tried them all) and a few dining experiences where outstanding (chef's table and Neverland). Although all these things might be great for some people they didn't really do it for me. DCL provides the best service and friendliest staff. Disney shows are the best or maybe since growing up with Disney movies they are easier to understand because the shows on RCL seem to drag on forever and often left me thinking "what did I just watch?" I also seemed to always accidently run into the smoking areas by mistake when heading to pool area or walking around the ship which left me gagging (Yeah, DCL has it's smokers but no where near the amount of smokers on RCL). Given the difference I will most likely stick with DCL unless my friends talk me in to joining them on another cruise because as I mentioned I did have a great time with them.

We just got back from Anthem and seconding the smoking section on the pool deck. We would get turned around on which side of the ship we were on and boom! smoke! It was pretty lame, because it's literally the middle of a main walkway around the ship. Also seconding the staff on DCL being head and shoulders above RCL. I don't know what it is, but the passengers on RCL seemed worse too. Absence of pixie dust in the air? But they would cut in line, hang out at tables on their phones as people were circling the buffet area to eat, stand in the middle of elevators and not move... Most people were just fine, of course, but bad behavior leaves a bad taste, especially when the staff turns a blind eye... Can't help but think of the waiters on the Wonder last year - they literally took the tray out of my hands and found me a table on that first day. RCL waiters stared blankly at me as I tried to balance my breakfast stuff one day.

However, I *loved* the weird shows. Of course, I'm a weirdo theater nerd, and I'm sure you can tell by my use of the word "weird" that I understand they wouldn't be to most people's tastes. We left The Gift, and I said to my husband, "That's the weirdest thing I've ever seen." "Even weirder than the Halloween musical at Six Flags that one time?" "Yep, because The Gift had a budget. Somebody saw that script and said 'YES! Throw money at it as fast as you can!'"

What can I say? I'm a sucker for 6+ people in matching outfits doing choreographed dances.

Just my two cents but if you are jumping ship from DCL to RCI I think you should go big and sail on an Oasis class ship (there a 3!). I haven't sailed Disney but from what I understand, their service is amazing. I think you will notice a drop in service but with Royal, but it is the ship that is the attraction and with the ages of your kids there is so much more for them to do on an Oasis class ship.

Anthem would be another good option (I just sailed her in July). It is a bit of a different set up than other Royal ships but is a truly modern and beautiful ship. Another poster mentioned the passengers being a little pushy but that has something to do with her home port (please don't take offense NYers and NJers, I love you guys!).

I just recently found this board so I don't know the rules regarding mentioning other sites, but there is another website with very busy boards on all cruise lines with the initials C.C. that may be able to help with some more details answers.

We just got back from Anthem and seconding the smoking section on the pool deck. We would get turned around on which side of the ship we were on and boom! smoke! It was pretty lame, because it's literally the middle of a main walkway around the ship.

While true, it is no different than the smoking areas on the pool deck on Disney - which are also in the main (only) walkway around one side of the ship.

While true, it is no different than the smoking areas on the pool deck on Disney - which are also in the main (only) walkway around one side of the ship.

I had to check that and you're totally right! It's hilarious because I literally never noticed it - there must really be fewer smokers on DCL! The smoking section on Anthem never had less than 15 people in it, so it was truly a cloud of smoke there at all times.

this is why there are cruise lines for everyone. We have been on DCL, but honestly, we didn't feel it was worth the extra cost. We didn't care for the shows, and while the service was good, we didn't feel it was better than on other lines. We honestly have had more fun on our Carnival cruises! But....each person has their own preferences....and there are enough cabins to fit them all! we are taking our first RCI cruise for spring break. We chose the Freedom of the Seas, because of the activities offered, and I really don't think I would like the mega ships. Hope you are able to decide and have a great time!

Good thread! On the RCI ships is there just one main dining room ( not including the speciality places ) or is there several like DCL?

We have cruised all classes of RCL and I wouldn't rule out Oasis class based on your description of your needs. The "inward focus" is definitely true but it's not like you don't see the ocean from restaurants, pools, mini golf, etc. We had a balcony overlooking the Boardwalk on the Oasis and it has its pros and cons. Pro being we could watch the water show every night from our balcony (which you have to make reservations to see on the ship). This could be good with your son who gets overstimulated easily I think you said. Con being obviously you're looking not at the ocean but straight across to other balconies. There is never a loss of things to do on this class of ship. The Freedom class would also be my recommendation as they are such a great size and also have plenty of activities. Basically, I would book one of those two classes as your first time on RCL based on dates, cost, port options, etc. that you find you like. Good luck:)

Good thread! On the RCI ships is there just one main dining room ( not including the speciality places ) or is there several like DCL?

One main dining room that you go to every night and sit at the same table with the same servers That is, unless you choose to book any specialty dining restaurants (at an extra cost)

Technically there is one dining room. But each level has a different name. For example on Independence the MDR on deck 3 is Romeo & Juliet, deck 4 is Macbeth and deck 5 is King Lear. When we sailed on IOs last year Rome & Juliet and Macbeth were used for traditional dining. King Lear was used for My Time Dining.

Technically there is one dining room. But each level has a different name. For example on Independence the MDR on deck 3 is Romeo & Juliet, deck 4 is Macbeth and deck 5 is King Lear. When we sailed on IOs last year Rome & Juliet and Macbeth were used for traditional dining. King Lear was used for My Time Dining.

I see that sounds like the Pride of America type set up we sailed on once. I like the Shakespear theme! Thank you for the info

I think since they'll be 16 and 18 (2 girls, 2 boys) if we decide to sail next summer, I'm just looking for a wide variety of new things to do and a change of scenery. They've all sailed DCL multiple times. While they enjoy it, they do tend to get bored after a few days since they've done most of the things they are interested by then!

i feel just like you - -considering RCCL after DCL and totally overwhelmed. Also, my sons will be 18 and 16 on the cruise (along with Ds9) they are not interested in sailing Disney again as they remember being quite bored, but the Allure/ Oasis seem HUGE and I get a bit stressed looking at the photos.

What decisions did you make? Maybe I can benefit from your wisdom. :)

i feel just like you - -considering RCCL after DCL and totally overwhelmed. Also, my sons will be 18 and 16 on the cruise (along with Ds9) they are not interested in sailing Disney again as they remember being quite bored, but the Allure/ Oasis seem HUGE and I get a bit stressed looking at the photos.

What decisions did you make? Maybe I can benefit from your wisdom. :)
I wish I had wisdom to share! :)

For now, we are going back to WDW this summer rather than cruising. I did more research on RCCL and wasn't finding a date/price for two rooms that worked particularly well for us. It was definitely cheaper than DCL, but not enough to make me take the plunge yet, and still far too expensive. So we decided WDW was our safest bet for now. I'll keep looking at RCCL for down the road....maybe by the time they all graduate college I'll have it figured out! LOL.

I wish I had wisdom to share! :)

For now, we are going back to WDW this summer rather than cruising. I did more research on RCCL and wasn't finding a date/price for two rooms that worked particularly well for us. It was definitely cheaper than DCL, but not enough to make me take the plunge yet, and still far too expensive. So we decided WDW was our safest bet for now. I'll keep looking at RCCL for down the road....maybe by the time they all graduate college I'll have it figured out! LOL.
Yes, mine would rather go to WDW too and we are doing that this summer. With son leaving for college this year, I wanted to do something special and different with all the boys together for their last spring break before he leaves.. Dh isn't going so the price isn't tooo bad for Rccl for 4 of us. The DCL price was ridiculous but tht giant RCCL ship makes me more nervous than excited.

One main dining room that you go to every night and sit at the same table with the same servers That is, unless you choose to book any specialty dining restaurants (at an extra cost)
Or you can do "My Time Dining" (MTR). You can reserve a different time each night, or simply just walk up (like you would a restaurant on land). You may or may not get the same table/servers each night. This is in the MDR, not specialty restaurants.

considering dipping into the RCL experience myself, if there is anyone that can direct me to a link that explains the concierge experience on RCL would be appreciative

With the ages of your kids I think you are going to really enjoy RCL. The rock wall, the flow rider, etc. While DCL is a great product, I always wonder what the older teens really think of it.

I would recommend Freedom Class for your first RCL cruise. It has the ice shows, the flow riders, 24 hour pizza, etc but still has a lot of outward facing views. Oasis Class is amazing as well, but it is definiteley a class that people love or hate since it is very different so I would hate for your first RCL experience to be soured if Oasis class isn't for you.

We love the radiance class, but only if we aren't traveling with kids. A bit too low key for them. The Navigator class (or maybe it's called Voyager class) is fun too, but I prefer the Freedom Class just a little more.

The only real big difference is you like soda you have to buy a soda package on RCL. But it is still way cheaper than Disney prices.

I have never noticed any more smoke on RCL than DCL. Super easy to avoid. You can do regular dining, my time dining (you pick the time you want to come each night or just stop by if you don't mind waiting a bit) or specialty dining where you pay or the buffet (Windjammer).

I think all cruise lines have enough things in common that you can figure out what your doing after a day or two.

I love trying different lines - they all offer different things. For us cruising is the ship and learning all it offers more than even the desntinations.

have fun!

After sailing DCL twice a year from 99-07 we switched to RCCL in 07 and have sailed a minimum of 3 and up to 6 times a year since....sailed all classes from Majesty of seas to Oasis (a must do once but unless it's a smoking deal I have no interest) the Freedom and Radiance are my favorite. We are now Diamond and enjoy the benefits! Again, we LOVED DCL and will probably sail again but sail them once or RCCL 4 for same price. Lol

considering dipping into the RCL experience myself, if there is anyone that can direct me to a link that explains the concierge experience on RCL would be appreciative

There's a lot of info about the new (not really so new now) tiered suite program, but it really only applies the Oasis class and up class of ships.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/royalsuiteclass

If you're sailing on smaller ships, it varies slightly from ship to ship but is a pretty standard set of perks for all suites (Grand Suite and above). This typically includes:
Priority embarkation
Priority tendering
Concierge lounge with daily cocktail hour
Priority reservations for specialty and my time dining (and spa appointments)
MDR menu available for room service
Suite breakfast (for suite guests only in specialty restaurant)
Special sun deck and seating for shows

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter