• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

Happy Monday. Made it to the gym and played tennis with the family. It is a beautiful day here. Taught the dds to play the card game Rook last night. Oldest seemed to get it while younger struggled. Watching French Open now on tv and relaxing for the day. Steak n Cheese on the menu for tonight. You all have a good one.

Morning Guys.

My take on Pirates - I thought it was better than the last one but not the rest. Wasn't exactly sure what the clip at the end of the credits was getting at but took a guess and I think it may be good idea.

Hope you all have a good Memorial Day.

I out my thoughts on FB. I had heard this was it for Pirates, but maybe they left it open for another movie.

Hello Gents, well I am back in the great white North and starting the new job this morning. Going fine so far, just doing all the tedious stuff like getting a swipe card for the office and doing a safety orientation. Plus trying to clean off my "desk". It's great they knew I was coming a month ago but despite having an office picked out for me, nobody bothered to clean it out. :headache: Apparently it's been used as a storage closet for a while. Oh well, nice to be appreciated. Anyway, a few days and I'll be sorted hopefully.

I do envy your guys living father south and can pick strawberries in May. Ours won't be ready until July, although with the "sprinter" we've been having it could be even longer this year. Apparently there are snow flurries in the forecast here for overnight. I know the weather around here is crap, but it's not usually that bad. Won't be breaking out the shorts and sandals here anytime soon.

Sorry to hear about the job. Sadly, it seems most companies just don't care anymore about their employees. Maybe there are some out there. We should have peaches next month. There is a smaller family farm business that does festivals. Their peaches are the best.

In honor of those that gave the ultimate sacrifice so we can be free to enjoy all that we have.

Way behind and need to catch up here. Finished my speech / toast and less than a week before DDs big day. Hope all, that have one, are enjoying the extended weekend

Well, so begins my last week of work overseas. After 12 years working in the same place, there is a touch of sadness, but mostly looking forward to heading home and starting something new.

That sounds awful. If you're in need of a drink, I'm at Heathrow this Sunday morning for the last time (only for a few hours from 7am-noon). Hardly an ideal night out of course.
(I'm really just joking by the way. A meet up would be cool, but I wouldn't expect you to shlep all the way to Heathrow on a Sunday morning)

Same to you, hope you had a good one.

Also sounds awful. Maybe we all need to schedule fake appointments. Too bad we don't all live closer to WDW. I could make fake appointments with Dr. Dawabar all the time.
Hope you enjoyed the last week of your gig. Hope you are looking forward to the improved family time from the change.
Today has been a totally Disney day. I've been concerned for the past several weeks because there seemed to be some issues with my status on the wait list for a job at WDW. When you apply for a job they set up a 'dashboard' with all your info on it and my job status info started disappearing for a few days and then back again and so on. I tried contacting both the casting office and my recruiter about the problem but to no avail. I finally asked our neighbor who is a cast member if she knew an alternate contact because we thought that the task of casting all the positions for Pandora might have thrown things into a kerfuffle but when i checked a last time this morning i found the message i was looking for that they send each month to make sure your still interested so i felt relieved as we prepared for a a late day at MK, having dinner at BOG and then the new Happily Ever After show. Guess what, just before we were set to leave I got THE CALL. My recruiter called with an offer of a job at the new (actually, reopening) Marina at Wilderness Lodge. Apparently, when they built the fancy new cabins there, they rebuilt the marina. So, i should be getting my official offer tomorrow and then it's onboarding and Traditions over the next couple of weeks.

So it was a very happy trip to WDW and dinner at BOG was a bit of a celebration. Too bad the weather didn't hold and there was a Hellacious down pour. We had decided to leave before the fireworks because of how the weather was shaping up and we were about half way across Seven Seas Lagoon on the ferry when the rain hit. IT's a good thing the DW checks the weather and makes sure we have two ponchos with us. But it was quite a light show on the ride home. So, if you ever get to Wilderness Lodge on a Saturday, Sunday or Monday, take a trip to the docks.
Congrats! Saw all the position changes! Still working PT at DaWorld sounds o.k. to me.
Morning all. I have determined it is a bad idea to let high school seniors run any form of project at a school.
My oldest DD new high school has renaissance faire at the end of the year each year and participation for all the high school students counts as a major grade in all of their core classes. They go all out, costumes, props, catapults, speeches the whole 9 yards. But the seniors are in charge (they are royalty.. juniors are merchant class, sophomores are working class, freshman are peasants) They have had the whole school year to work on it. We got her stuff for a costume a couple weeks ago and then found out Monday that the color for her kingdom is green :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:. The faire is Friday. Would have been nice to know before we spent money on a dress. So we got a replacement ordered and were working on her props (she was going to be a baker) Tuesday we found out no actually she is going to be a scribiner :mad::mad::mad::mad:..
End of rant. Thank you for your time.
Ahhhh, school cluster bombs. Always wondered when these types of things go down, where the heck are the teachers and administrators to keep things on time and organized?
Good lord it's been forever since I posted here. Hi everyone!

Just dropped off the little spawn this weekend at my parents' 1200 miles away. We need to keep the connecting flight in Orlando as it's easier on him. 2 2.5 hour flights much easier to manage than a 4 hour flight then a 1 hour flight (connecting in Baltimore). We're in TX, parents in upstate NY. That means we had to fly up on a Saturday since connecting flights in MCO are only on weekends. Did some checking, if I split it up on the return flight and go from Albany to MCO, get a hotel room, then fly out from MCO to Austin a day or 3 later, plane tickets are actually cheaper. I think you all know where I'm going with this.

Now to somehow get a spare $1000 together and convince the wife to put a 2 day Disney trip in August when we get the kiddo back...
Welcome back!
Happy Friday Boys. No work that I will get paid for today but have a weekend of plastering and painting ahead. Heading to the store to get the paint. Trying to match the the rest of the room so I hope they can blend a close match. Happy Memorial weekend to me.

Safe travels and smooth sailing as a new chapter of your life opens up.

Yep, but it is kind of cool when they become seniors and can dish it out instead. Flashback Friday from her 1st day as a high school senior....

Nice. Warm and muggy with storms here last night but today is supposed to be a good day.

We went there for lunch once. Food was good and the atmosphere can't be beat. I'd go back and it is something you should do at least try.

If you figure it out, you shall be declared the wisest man in all the land.
Hey, it's not Labor Day weekend? Great pic of the DD and at the risk of repeating myself, they grow up to dang fast!
Right boys. That's it. I'm calling it. Work week over. Everyone pile into the tambu lounge for a Spiced rum Lapu Lapu in honour of Jeff, who in true dis-daddery has given up the glamour of international travel to spend more time at home with the family. Salut and safe travels buddy.
Last one in there has to take Tiana home. And let me tell ya, she always wants you to dig a little deeper. And you just know you wanna get your hands on her man catching beignets.
Sorry I missed your call and looks like I'm last one in - ugh. As this coming Friday will be day before wedding and rehearsal dinner I will call the bar of choice her early, how about we hit Tune-In Lounge at Studios, part of 50's Prime Time - they make a great Manhattan and we can take in SW fireworks or Fantasmic to close out the night.
Afternoon Guys,

Rainy Friday up here in the north, quiet day in the office.

Busy weekend ahead, sort of. DW is running in a 5K at the airport tomorrow and then we are off to the NB Sports Hall of Fame induction dinner in the evening. DS is still on the DL so he won't be playing again this weekend. I'm sure he will want to go to their game in Sunday though and of course, it's out of town. Finish the weekend off with nice friendly soccer game in our non-competitive masters league. Well they say it's non-competitive.

Have a good one, almost time to head to the bar with Dan.
Hope DS is recovering well and on schedule, all the best to him. Hope you enjoyed Pirates, we are saving it to watch on upcoming cruise.
Actually the job at Fort Wilderness is renting golf carts. It's sort of a karma thing, I guess. Back in New Jersey well had a park model trailer on a site for 15 years and the road it was on was a hill. For the last several years they were allowing carts to try and cut down car traffic and as you can imagine you had people speeding down the hill. We used to watch and see if there would be a roll over. Now it looks like I'll be an enabler. Karma's a funny thing.
Still sounds ok and hopefully will lead to the boat job you want
Hello Gents, well I am back in the great white North and starting the new job this morning. Going fine so far, just doing all the tedious stuff like getting a swipe card for the office and doing a safety orientation. Plus trying to clean off my "desk". It's great they knew I was coming a month ago but despite having an office picked out for me, nobody bothered to clean it out. :headache: Apparently it's been used as a storage closet for a while. Oh well, nice to be appreciated. Anyway, a few days and I'll be sorted hopefully.
Not a great start but hey, think of the improved family situation.
:rotfl2::rotfl2:

Last edited:
One step closer. Spent about three hours today filling out forms and reading employee manuals (a total of 25 e-documents) in advance of onboarding this Friday. I must admit that one of those hours was trying to get a JPG of my signature uploaded because my 6.5 year old laptop can't capture from the screen. As to the golf cart job, it could work out pretty well since it looks like a lot of it is inside, which is no small thing since i'm starting at the beginning of June, plus they do have a Marina at Fort Wilderness so i could probably pick up some time there, so all good. Plus, maybe i can peel off one of the older carts and do a little work on it for some night time street racing on the back trails of the campground.

Top O the Mornin Dads! Kinda like these short work weeks as I am also off this Friday - could get used to only 3 day work weeks. Couple of roasts on the grill from yesterday

Hello All,

Been busy at work. I am only 6 days until my flight to Florida, and 7 days until our reservations at Disney. It is a little bittersweet as my wife was told her contract would not be renewed. So as of the day we fly down to Disney, she is unemployed. She is a high school chemistry teacher, and she had to take some FMLA this year because of a stress induced issue. While they say they are letting her go because of a "change in direction". it is really because it's a small district and they made a business decision. As a manager in a large institution I can understand the business decision, but man it sucks. They told her(and her union rep told her to as well) to resign, otherwise they would blackball her. She has decided that after 5 years of teaching at three different schools that she has had enough, and is going to change careers, so she told them to fire her. The board choose to not renew her contract. She had no rights because she was only there for 2 years, and you get no protection in the contract until year three. I feel bad for my wife, I could care less about her being a teacher or whatever she chooses to do. :)

So while Disney is going to be a blast, and everything is paid for already, and we have free dining, it is still going to be a little hard on the wife. She says that she is excited for the change, but I think she is just trying to make me feel better.

She has a Chemistry degree, and a masters of education, so she has plenty of opportunities and has unemployment coming, so we will be fine for six months or so for her to figure out what she wants to do. The worst thing is she provided medical, so we have to switch to mine, and meet the deductible again, which was not in the budget. <sigh>

Anyway, just venting about it, and hope everyone has a great week. I will be at Disney at the Coronado Springs resort this day next week. :)

Hello All,

Been busy at work. I am only 6 days until my flight to Florida, and 7 days until our reservations at Disney. It is a little bittersweet as my wife was told her contract would not be renewed. So as of the day we fly down to Disney, she is unemployed. She is a high school chemistry teacher, and she had to take some FMLA this year because of a stress induced issue. While they say they are letting her go because of a "change in direction". it is really because it's a small district and they made a business decision. As a manager in a large institution I can understand the business decision, but man it sucks. They told her(and her union rep told her to as well) to resign, otherwise they would blackball her. She has decided that after 5 years of teaching at three different schools that she has had enough, and is going to change careers, so she told them to fire her. The board choose to not renew her contract. She had no rights because she was only there for 2 years, and you get no protection in the contract until year three. I feel bad for my wife, I could care less about her being a teacher or whatever she chooses to do. :)

So while Disney is going to be a blast, and everything is paid for already, and we have free dining, it is still going to be a little hard on the wife. She says that she is excited for the change, but I think she is just trying to make me feel better.

She has a Chemistry degree, and a masters of education, so she has plenty of opportunities and has unemployment coming, so we will be fine for six months or so for her to figure out what she wants to do. The worst thing is she provided medical, so we have to switch to mine, and meet the deductible again, which was not in the budget. <sigh>

Anyway, just venting about it, and hope everyone has a great week. I will be at Disney at the Coronado Springs resort this day next week. :)

Sorry to hear about your wife but go to WDW and have a great time. As you say, it sounds like she should have lots of opportunities.

Happy Tuesday. Busy day with an early morning workout at the gym, office, tennis with daughter, cookes tacos for dinner for the family, tennis again tonight with my state tournament team. Accomplished quite a lot for today. I think I'll take the rest of the week off. :lmao:

Way
behind and need to catch up here. Finished my speech / toast and less than a week before DDs big day. Hope all, that have one, are enjoying the extended weekend

I'm sure there are a few Disney references in there.

One step closer. Spent about three hours today filling out forms and reading employee manuals (a total of 25 e-documents) in advance of onboarding this Friday. I must admit that one of those hours was trying to get a JPG of my signature uploaded because my 6.5 year old laptop can't capture from the screen. As to the golf cart job, it could work out pretty well since it looks like a lot of it is inside, which is no small thing since i'm starting at the beginning of June, plus they do have a Marina at Fort Wilderness so i could probably pick up some time there, so all good. Plus, maybe i can peel off one of the older carts and do a little work on it for some night time street racing on the back trails of the campground.

I managed to figure out how to scan my email signature into a computer a few years ago. Since then, I've been emailing it to new computers and jobs so I don't have to figure that out ever again. :sad2:

Top O the Mornin Dads! Kinda like these short work weeks as I am also off this Friday - could get used to only 3 day work weeks. Couple of roasts on the grill from yesterday

You're the top dog - or close enough - right? Make it happen. 4 day work week.

Vent away. That stinks. Laws like FMLA were allegedly passed to help employees, but once again, are allowed to be side stepped. Since it's definitely a bad decision for your family, I can't say it's a good business decision. Those decisions are felt by other teachers and their families when actions like that happen. It breeds ill feelings and an atmosphere if distrust at the workplace.

Last edited:
Hello All,

Sorry to hear the news about the DW. Nothing like a week at Disney to clear the head.
Best wishes she lands on her feet and finds something better.

Thanks everyone, it helps to hear kind words. Trying to get caught up at work, and get my leads to cover the load for me while I am gone for two weeks. While still letting them know to call/email me if they need me. And of course hoping they don't call when my wife is not going to be happy with work time during vacation... :)

Morning Guys.

Going to be a wet Wednesday up here,, hopefully the sun will return soon.

DS has started his rehab and it looks like he may be on the shelf longer than we hoped. The therapist feel he has a bit of a high ankle sprain and those take longer to rehab. Hopefully he'll use his youth to heel fast.

Have a good hump day all.

Happy Tuesday. Busy day with an early morning workout at the gym, office, tennis with daughter, cookes tacos for dinner for the family, tennis again tonight with my state tournament team. Accomplished quite a lot for today. I think I'll take the rest of the week off. :lmao:

Go State!!

Morning gents. Well, yesterday's weather up here started terribly with frost on the roof of the house when I got up at 6:00am - yes, frost at the end of May, even for us that sucks. But it turned into a nice sunny day and when I got home from work, DW and I had time for a walk in our shirt sleeves with 22C/72F temps, so very pleasant. Got some BBQ porkchops done for supper. It was nice to get back from overseas and have a BBQ.

Also met DD17's boyfriend last night. They've been dating for 5 months but between the first couple months of "hiding from the parents" and me being overseas, I had never crossed paths with him. He *seems* like a nice enough guy but I appropriately had a steak knife in my hand when we spoke, just for some added effect. I can't say I like DD being in a relationship, but I think there are laws about locking her in the basement, so not much I can do. Can't stop her from growing up.

Sorry to hear about DW. I work in oil & gas and the last couple years have been brutal, seen so many colleagues get the axe. It's a tough world, but hopefully it will work out for you in the end.

DS has started his rehab and it looks like he may be on the shelf longer than we hoped. The therapist feel he has a bit of a high ankle sprain and those take longer to rehab. Hopefully he'll use his youth to heel fast.
Not good news on the rehab. Best wishes to him for a speedy recovery.

Morning gents. Well, yesterday's weather up here started terribly with frost on the roof of the house when I got up at 6:00am - yes, frost at the end of May, even for us that sucks. But it turned into a nice sunny day and when I got home from work, DW and I had time for a walk in our shirt sleeves with 22C/72F temps, so very pleasant. Got some BBQ porkchops done for supper. It was nice to get back from overseas and have a BBQ.

Also met DD17's boyfriend last night. They've been dating for 5 months but between the first couple months of "hiding from the parents" and me being overseas, I had never crossed paths with him. He *seems* like a nice enough guy but I appropriately had a steak knife in my hand when we spoke, just for some added effect. I can't say I like DD being in a relationship, but I think there are laws about locking her in the basement, so not much I can do. Can't stop her from growing up.

Have you considered an ankle tracking bracelet? ;)

Not good news on the rehab. Best wishes to him for a speedy recovery.

Thanks

‘Morning all…
I see a lot has been going on while I was traveling.
I'll try to stay more caught up but for now: prayers where needed, congrats as deserved and Dole Whips & Bacon for all.

Mmmmm…
Dole Whip…

Anyway…
We spent Monday recovering and readjusting from an excellent trip to Da World and yesterday was consumed by trying to scale the Mount Crap-a-totla that had accumulated at work. I do love my trips down to Walt Land but you also end up paying for them both before and afterward (just in different forms of currency)

We had a great time.
Saw the new shows, tried some different things, acquired a number of excellent libations, hit most every attraction we were interesting in and I even got called out on the Laugh Floor as: “That Guy”.
I can live with that.
I could even do it again.
Hopefully sometime in the near.

Top O the Mornin Dads! the SIL to be got in late last night and some family start rolling into town today for the wedding. I'm at work today and most of tomorrow before a 4 day weekend off for the festivities and a little post event down time. On the Disney front DS is returning to TSA Nationals with his high school as alumni / judge / whatever. It's in Orlando and if he came home with the group he would get home at about 3:00 am the day before we head back down to Orlando for our cruise. So he now has 2 nights at Pop Century and a day to hit AK and Pandora before hooking up with us for the cruise - nice gig if you can get it.
Hello All,

Sorry about the situation DW has to deal with. I'm sure DaWorld will be a blast and help everyone forget about the day-to-day challenges for at least a bit.
I'm sure there are a few Disney references in there.

You're the top dog - or close enough - right? Make it happen. 4 day work week.
Speech does have a reference quoting some guy about chasing your dreams. You meant hot dog right?
Morning Guys.

Going to be a wet Wednesday up here,, hopefully the sun will return soon.

Sorry about DS rehab looking to take longer - high sprains are the worse. Alwasy better to get them fully recovered though or it just lingers.

Good luck on the boyfriend front and all you can do is try to get to know the young man a bit and hopefully he ain't too bad and to trust DD.
‘Morning all…
I see a lot has been going on while I was traveling.
I'll try to stay more caught up but for now: prayers where needed, congrats as deserved and Dole Whips & Bacon for all.

Mmmmm…
Dole Whip…

Anyway…
We spent Monday recovering and readjusting from an excellent trip to Da World and yesterday was consumed by trying to scale the Mount Crap-a-totla that had accumulated at work. I do love my trips down to Walt Land but you also end up paying for them both before and afterward (just in different forms of currency)

We had a great time.
Saw the new shows, tried some different things, acquired a number of excellent libations, hit most every attraction we were interesting in and I even got called out on the Laugh Floor as: “That Guy”.
I can live with that.
Great to hear you had a good trip! Any video of the Laugh Floor performance?

The advantage to youth is that they do heal. At least you caught it in therapy and have a chance to heal instead of just resting a couple days then walking it off.

I can't say I like DD being in a relationship, but I think there are laws about locking her in the basement, so not much I can do.
You sure about that? Pretty sure you can lock them up as long as you feed them and stuff.

Can't stop her from growing up.
Aint that the truth.

And the place just get's classier and classier. They had told us my wife's contract ran until Aug, so her benefits and pay checks would arrive as normal until then. Today they informed her, that her last pay is June 23rd, and her benefits term on June 30th, and they will do a single big payout for all her earnings for June/July/August. Also, they reported to unemployment that my wife had no income from them since December 2016. Well, her pay stubs tell a different story. <sigh> They are very classy people, that is all I can say.

I am trying to get them to give her a letter, so I can get my benefits set-up to start for all of us on July 1st, but of course they want to be a#$%oles about that as well. I really wish I had some legal leg to stand on and get an attorney to subpoena the emails that I am sure some numbskull sent about why they were going to terminate my wife. There is always one that will put it in writing thinking no one will ever get that email. <shrug> I am trying to rise above it all, but man is it hard to do that.

And they don't want to produce the letter until July. So I am going to try to use an email that they sent to my wife to get my company to start benefits early.

Happy Wednesday. Guess what day it is? Well for me, it's been a tennis court drying, two office covering, and future tennis day. currently, it is Dr. STRANGE day as that is on Netflix. I know the character but didn't read the comic. It is a bit slow in the beginning, but interesting. But, my Canadian girl Rachel McAdams is in it.

Thanks everyone, it helps to hear kind words. Trying to get caught up at work, and get my leads to cover the load for me while I am gone for two weeks. While still letting them know to call/email me if they need me. And of course hoping they don't call when my wife is not going to be happy with work time during vacation... :)

Yes, I get calls from one job while at the other. It is frustrating, even more so on vacation. Try to enjoy it.

Go State!!

Hope he recovers quickly, but yes, those take longer to heal. I'm feeling more confident about our team this year.

Well, if no one finds out they are locked in the basement..... :lmao:

But, you also don't want them to be dependent upon you for their whole life. It's part of becoming an adult - take it or leave it.

Anyway…

We had a great time.
I can live with that.

Just another sign of bad management, and yes, I get it. As for the trip, I've been Sulley and both my girls made the jumbo tron as they had Mike and Sulley costumes on at the show. Glad you had a great trip.

Top O the Mornin Dads! the SIL to be got in late last night and some family start rolling into town today for the wedding. I'm at work today and most of tomorrow before a 4 day weekend off for the festivities and a little post event down time. On the Disney front DS is returning to TSA Nationals with his high school as alumni / judge / whatever. It's in Orlando and if he came home with the group he would get home at about 3:00 am the day before we head back down to Orlando for our cruise. So he now has 2 nights at Pop Century and a day to hit AK and Pandora before hooking up with us for the cruise - nice gig if you can get it.

?

If he needs a chaperone and you're buying, give me a call. I'm available. :lmao:

And the place just get's classier and classier. They had told us my wife's contract ran until Aug, so her benefits and pay checks would arrive as normal until then. Today they informed her, that her last pay is June 23rd, and her benefits term on June 30th, and they will do a single big payout for all her earnings for June/July/August. Also, they reported to unemployment that my wife had no income from them since December 2016. Well, her pay stubs tell a different story. <sigh> They are very classy people, that is all I can say.

Well, just another sign of a crappy employer. I hope you can manage something out of it. Good luck.

Last edited:

Sorry for the setback and I also hope he'll use his youth and recover quickly. If it takes time, it takes time.

Good luck and you have the right attitude. The only thing is know you raised her right and have her back when she needs it.

We had a great time.
I can live with that.

I always knew you were THAT GUY! Sounds like a great trip and worth the pain of returning to reality.

Congrats to your son, nice pre-trip bonus. Enjoy the festivities after all you are paying for it. (Too soon?) I hope everything goes off without a hitch and everyone has a great time. Well, except her FIL. May he have a case of laryngitis and not be able to say a word all weekend.

Sorry to hear about your DW's circumstances. Hope it gets resolved in her favor. May the trip be a blast and you can forget about everything for a while.

I am trying to get them to give her a letter, so I can get my benefits set-up to start for all of us on July 1st, but of course they want to be a#$%oles about that as well. I really wish I had some legal leg to stand on and get an attorney to subpoena the emails that I am sure some numbskull sent about why they were going to terminate my wife. There is always one that will put it in writing thinking no one will ever get that email. <shrug> I am trying to rise above it all, but man is it hard to do that.

And they don't want to produce the letter until July. So I am going to try to use an email that they sent to my wife to get my company to start benefits early.
Wow thats classy. The way they let her go sucks but at least she is away from a bad situation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter