DDE and DVC

paulh

<font color=blue>likes to have a beer<br><font col
just a bit confused here,just got back and had paid for ddp while at SSR.
and had it free for 5 nights at pop.With the changes regarding tip and app next year we most likley not pay for it again
My questions
to get DDE card do i have to have an annual pass to get one,or as being a dvc member can you get one without an annual pass?
I know the benefits for TS meals is 20% off,but is the tip calculated on the discounted price or the price before?(next year auto 18% tip for dde card)
when getting a QS meal will an 18% tip be added? or is that just going to be for TS
Thanks paulh

on a side note,we were there at ssr the week before free dinning started,while at front desk and was told that week was the first time the rooms for resort the week were fully booked up.looks like it will be selling out soon

You must have an AP or be a Florida resident to purchase the DDE card.

You must be an AP passholder in order to purchase the DDE card (or FL resident as stated above). It provides a 20% discount on food and beverage at 70 WDW restaurants. Tip is at your discretion but WDW always provides a statement recommending 18% as appropriate. Click HERE to view the DDE information here on the DIS.

You must have an AP or be a Florida resident to purchase the DDE card.

thanks mike thought as much but was unable to fid it on member site.
now for the tip questions
Paulh

You can get a DDE card only if you hold an AP or are a Florida resident. Then, you pay $65 for it if you are an AP holder. You get that 20% off on table service restaurants for the most part, and it is off the regular price. I think you may be confusing the DDE and the DDP. There is no discount, other than the 20%, with the DDE. I like to figure it as I leave whatever the discount was as a tip...so it's a break even type thing. Unless it's a buffet, and then I tend to tip a little less.
You can use the DDE card for counter service only at areas that do not have a table service restaurant...POP Century food court and Animal Kingdom. But Yak and Yeti may change that in AK..but I would imagine that you would be able to then use the DDE card there since it provides table service.

I know the benefits for TS meals is 20% off,but is the tip calculated on the discounted price or the price before?(next year auto 18% tip for dde card)
You are correct -- effective 1/1/2008, an 18% gratuity will be ADDED TO THE CHECK on all DDE checks. It will not be a suggestion, it will be part of the bill. The tip is calculated on the menu price of the items purchased, not on the -20% cost.

You should also read the fine print about blackout dates. The DDE is generally accepted at the same restaurants which accept DDP (and probably more), but unlike DDP there are some blackout dates when you cannot use the DDE card.

The DDE card is also the only discount that applies to adult beverages, and can be used in conjunction with other discount plans like DDP.

You are correct -- effective 1/1/2008, an 18% gratuity will be ADDED TO THE CHECK on all DDE checks. It will not be a suggestion, it will be part of the bill. The tip is calculated on the menu price of the items purchased, not on the -20% cost.

You should also read the fine print about blackout dates. The DDE is generally accepted at the same restaurants which accept DDP (and probably more), but unlike DDP there are some blackout dates when you cannot use the DDE card.

The DDE card is also the only discount that applies to adult beverages, and can be used in conjunction with other discount plans like DDP.

thanks Jim,Reason for asking is as done ddp last 2 years have found tip included a great benifit.But as not going for plan next year, was trying to work out if dde card would work for us.We usaly stay for 14 nights weve worked out we would be eating TS mainly offsite say 5 nights onsite 3-4 nights,not as many cs as every day.
What i found was that when we eat off site at outback last week 10 of us(so tip included)including beers on hapy hour came to $250
The more i look at it the DDP looks less value
Even getting a dde looks poor value as we have hopers with plenty of days on them
Just working out the options
When on plan last fortnight when we got good service we tiped more oop
Paulh

Jim, Is this for new DDE cards purchased on or after 1/1/2008? My card did not have that requirement when I purchased. I leave the 20% discounted amount rounded up, like goofy4tink indicated.

I have found that a "fixed" tip usually means very poor service, and kills their motivation to do a good job on those that are forced to give a fixed percentage. I have noticed the lack of service to those on the DDP. Why do you think they ask if you are on a "plan" when seated.

If you are visiting during holidays keep in mind that they sometimes block out the entire week around the day listed in the fine print with a holiday menu all week and the DDE is useless. We are going the week before Thanksgiving and all the restaurants we are interested in won't accept the DDE card at all that week.

Jim, Is this for new DDE cards purchased on or after 1/1/2008? My card did not have that requirement when I purchased. I leave the 20% discounted amount rounded up, like goofy4tink indicated.

I have found that a "fixed" tip usually means very poor service, and kills their motivation to do a good job on those that are forced to give a fixed percentage. I have noticed the lack of service to those on the DDP. Why do you think they ask if you are on a "plan" when seated.
No, this is on all DDE checks beginning 1/1/2008.

You will still get all the discounts you signed up for, but in accordance with the new labor contract Disney negotiated with their unions, an 18% service charge will be added to all DDE checks.

That provision is one of the concessions Disney made in exchange for removing the included gratuity in DDP. I've never noticed any difference between service with automatic tips or without, but our personal opinions are not part of the contract, obviously.

If you do that math properly, you will see that Disney reduced their costs by about 30% in the DDP and added 18% to yours for both DDP and DDE...but that's another thread...and another board.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter