Dealing with parade filming

SwaBird

Earning My Ears
We are headed to MK on Dec. 6 when they are filming the Christmas parade. We are just doing a one day trip prior to our cruise and it will be our DD2.9's first visit. I understand Main St. will be packed and we will probably avoid that area. Will we be able to see the parade performing along different areas of the normal parade route or do they only perform when they reach Main St. Also any other pointers on attacking MK on Film day.

To the best of my knowledge, the parade is taped on Sat, the 7th. There will probably be some taping in certain areas in MK on the 6th, but they really don't impact touring very much.

1- Will we be able to see the parade performing along different areas of the normal parade route or

2- do they only perform when they reach Main St.

1- Nope.
2- It's a bit more convoluted than that.
Suffice it to say that if you are not on Main Street or in the Castle Hub, you won't see the parade performances.

As I understand it, according to my nephew who has been there for the parade weekend several times, they do most of the taping on the 6th on the castle stage and that draws some crowds but as mentioned it has little affect on the rest of the park. We'll be there that day as well.

As I understand it, according to my nephew who has been there for the parade weekend several times, they do most of the taping on the castle stage and that draws some crowds but as mentioned it has little affect on the rest of the park. We'll be there that day as well.

They use ALL of Main Street -and- the Castle Hub at different times over the 2-4 taping days (depending on weather, technical and guest scheduling situations.)

I would avoid MK on parade taping day like the plague. They re film and re film the same sequence over and over again until it's perfect from every angle. The crowds are horrible.

I would avoid MK on parade taping day like the plague. They re film and re film the same sequence over and over again until it's perfect from every angle. The crowds are horrible.

That's good advice, but sadly, due to short trips and non-refundable MVMCP tickets, some of us have no choice but to go on a parade taping day.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Josh (easywdw.com) recommends MK for 12/6- even with the parade stuff. Check out his site for the details.

We'll be there that same time, we leave Disney Saturday and I really want to do MK one last time on Friday or Saturday. So Friday looks like it will have lower crowds.

Also, looking at different sites contradict what shows/parades are happening on 12/6. Will the Cinderella castle lights happen.

If that is your only day I would just go and enjoy yourself. You can always walk through the Emporium or take the train to get you away from the crowds. Once you are away from the Hub or Main St. it will be business as usual.

Two or three different years we've been there for parade taping. Main Street is crowded, but the rest of the park is pretty empty in our experience. Disney pretty much films the floats over and over one at a time on one day and the castle show on the other day. Weather was never bad, so no more than that when we've been there.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Two or three different years we've been there for parade taping. Main Street is crowded, but the rest of the park is pretty empty in our experience. Disney pretty much films the floats over and over one at a time on one day and the castle show on the other day. Weather was never bad, so no more than that when we've been there.

So Dec 7th may not be that bad? Due to being unhappy about FP+ (we are AP holders who stay offsite, so can't even use FP+), we have drastically shortened out WDW days for this trip. Usually for an eleven day trip, we spend at least nine days in the Disney parks and two days at Universal, but this trip will be spending only about four days in the WDW parks and the other seven days offsite doing other things in the Orlando area. Our only MK day is a partial day Saturday Dec 7th. We'll be going over to Gaylord Palms that morning for the Shrek Feast and ICE, so won't get to MK until after lunch on Dec 7th. How bad is it going to be?

9AM-1:30PM, good.

1:30PM-6PM, not so good.

Absolutely! Saturdays are historically the worst day of the week to go to MK to begin with. But on parade taping day? I did it once....stayed away in the morning because we had other stuff to do, but headed over about 3pm! OMG. It was awful. All those people that had come for the parade taping were out in the park, in addition to the regular Sat crowds. My friend and I stayed for about an hour and then left! You will never find me in MK on taping Saturday!

If that is your only day I would just go and enjoy yourself. You can always walk through the Emporium or take the train to get you away from the crowds. Once you are away from the Hub or Main St. it will be business as usual.

We found no problems on parade taping day, beyond getting out around lunch time. Other than that we stayed away from the Hub and Main St. and it seemed like every other day of our trip.

I've done a bit of research on this and decided the following.

The first night of our trip we're at Shades of Green, we wanted to cehck it out so we added a day to the front end to just relax a bit and enjoy the resort. Friday the 6th we've got an early ADR at Ohana since it's close to SoG. We'll likely check out but keep the car/bags at the resort, go to breakfast and then pop into MK for a few hours.

I've got our Fastpass+ set up for that morning and we'll be done with all 3 by noon, at which time we're heading out to go check in at AoA and spend most of the afternoon.

The 6th was the night we got BOG reservations and they are early so we'll be heading back to MK to make it to BOG by 4:15 (ressie is at 4:35, I like to be early). My plan right now is to take the train over to Fantasyland to avoid Main St traffic. We'll have a stroller with us and I just would rather spend longer riding the train than fighting a crowd to get to Fantasyland.

We've got party tickets (and the dessert Wishes party too!) so we'll stay in MK for the rest of the night. I *think* this is about as good as I could do as eating at BOG is kind of high on my list.

Saturday is our EPCOT day.

If there's something I'm overlooking, please let me know! Not sure I'll be able to do much given my stubbornness on BOG but I'd love any input!

We found no problems on parade taping day, beyond getting out around lunch time. Other than that we stayed away from the Hub and Main St. and it seemed like every other day of our trip.

That was pretty much our experience, and we've done it 2 or 3 times. Except we didn't park hop on that day for whatever reason. People for some odd reason want to be part of the taping and once they start, they are trapped until it is over. And whenever we've been there, it's taping right up till dusk so all those people are on Main Street. Others are so busy avoiding the park they've removed themselves from the equation. We walked on all rides in under 15 minutes, no FP.

I'm sure it can vary from year to year. Taping could run quickly or slowly.

People for some odd reason want to be part of the taping and once they start, they are trapped until it is over.

Except for those being paid/compensated to be in the crowd, guests are free to walk away at any time.

Except for those being paid/compensated to be in the crowd, guests are free to walk away at any time.

Are you sure?

I remember when they used to give out tickets, they told everyone that they needed to stay the whole time because the crowd can't change half way through the shots of the same scene. That was the first time we were there and the big reason I said no. Last time we were there, we were approached and asked to be in the crowd, with a promise to be up front and a 'guarantee' to be on tv (which I don't desire). I told them no because I didn't want to spend my day taping, especially since I paid to get into the park. The CM didn't dispute it, but kept trying to convince me in other ways. I think they wanted my kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter