Debt Dumpers - 2018

I think it all depends on the number of total days you'll be there. There is an annual pass that allows entry into both DL and WDW, but when I checked on it a couple of years ago, it was in the neighborhood of $1200 per person. The cost was approximately the same as buying a WDW AP and a DL AP.

For the amount of time I've been able to go to DL, it has never been cost effective for me to by an AP, but a single AP to WDW breaks even (for me) at about the 5 day mark. Assuming you are staying off property and plan to buy Memory Maker. (Free parking vs. $20/day * 5 days, plus $150 - $200 for MM). The second AP didn't break even until ~ the 10 day mark or 2 5 day visits or 3 3-4 day visits.
Thanks Dave. I plan to buy individual tickets for both. Comes out cheaper.

You got it! The time will fly by and I have to say it feels great to have the snowball go into the bank instead of toward debt!:cheer2: I didn't hunker down and pay it off quite as quickly as I could have, as I should have, but still I'm so glad to have it behind us. I felt like I was foolishly walking along the edge of a tall cliff and any wrong move would have ruined us.
Looking back at all of the payments I have listed on The Plan, the year that I paid off our last cc bill, 2015, was the year we decided to skip a summer vacation. It helped that ds21, then 18, needed his wisdom teeth pulled before going away to college & I really wanted to be there for him in case he got a dry socket like I did.:headache: :sad:. Now this year, ds17 has same thing scheduled for June, 2 days after graduation, so no summer vacation.
Also my mom was recently diagnosed with lung cancer, 3 masses, so I'd like to be able to help her out whenever I can.
4.5K for a furnace & AC is super cheap! :earseek: Ours was $8k in 2016 when a tree fell on our house and crushed ours, and that was from our bff who owns the company. In his defense though, insurance was paying for it so I think he probably gave them his regular price. He was our best man in our wedding and I've been friends with his wife since we were 5 and they didn't even charge us for the 2 repairs they did for us in the past. :hug:
Anyway, that's a stellar deal you got! :thumbsup2

Hang in there! You can do this!

Yes! We are counting down the days to be free and clear :hourglass We make a solid income, but we have just have never been good about sticking to a budget. 2018 is our year for change! Our plans have changed bit by bit and I’m sure we’ll continue to make adjustments as needed. But, we have our main goal and figures in place. By the time our debt is gone, our oldest will be 12. Still plenty of time to enjoy the magic of WDW. And we will be able to enjoy it much more knowing we have all our ducks in a row.

Our HVAC guy is a good friend of my Dad’s. He is pretty much a one man operation and his prices are truly unbeatable. It’s great to have a dependable and trustworthy HVAC guy available!

Below zero this morning with about four inches of snow. My car started right up and did great! Very nice to not have to walk to and from work when it's so bone chilling cold out.

Bought my airfare from Southwest yesterday for my September WDW trip! Now I have everything purchased for the trip (park tickets, DVC rental, airfare, dog boarding package) and just need to set aside money for meals!

ETA: Also, I'm down to 30% credit utilization. I should be below 25% by the year's end!

Last edited:
Hope everyone had a good weekend! I came to the conclusion over the weekend that we will definitely be adding to our debt this year and not getting rid of it. :( I know i've mentioned that thought before, but I think I truly realized it over the weekend. Spent just under $400 at Lowes on items for our house and I know i'll be adding to that total before we move in next weekend. We do get the keys tomorrow though! :cool1: I also bought our flights for two trips we have planned this year when Southwest released their schedule through Oct 1. But I bought these flights using points and companion pass, so I only paid the security fees (a total of about $50). 2 of the flights are for an August cruise that we plan on taking even though it would probably be best to not spend the money. My husband and I officially began dating on the Carnival Splendor when we went on a week long cruise with a group of our friends. 2 years later we got married on our anniversary. I found out that next year the Carnival Splendor will be moved from Long Beach to Australia permanently. So for our anniversary this year (4 married/6 together) we plan on taking another week long cruise on the Splendor before she leaves for good. :love:

But I bought these flights using points and companion pass, so I only paid the security fees (a total of about $50).

This is one of my goals after I get my cc debt paid off and after I get a new vehicle. I want to get a cc that gives airline mile rewards so I can put my everyday expenses on it and pay it off every month - and earn free flights in the process!

This is one of my goals after I get my cc debt paid off and after I get a new vehicle. I want to get a cc that gives airline mile rewards so I can put my everyday expenses on it and pay it off every month - and earn free flights in the process!

It's definitely nice to have! We signed up a few months ago when Southwest was offering free companion pass for a year to CA residents. That also came with the 40k bonus points after spending 3,000. We've switched from using our Costco Visa for cashback to using the Southwest Visa for miles. :)

It's definitely nice to have! We signed up a few months ago when Southwest was offering free companion pass for a year to CA residents. That also came with the 40k bonus points after spending 3,000. We've switched from using our Costco Visa for cashback to using the Southwest Visa for miles. :)

I love Southwest! I think their cc has an annual fee though, right? I've never had a cc with a fee before, but it sounds like it's worth it for this one.

I love Southwest! I think their cc has an annual fee though, right? I've never had a cc with a fee before, but it sounds like it's worth it for this one.

It's a $69 annual fee, but you get 3000 miles every year on your card member anniversary. So essentially your paying $69 for 3000 miles, which i'm totally ok with. This is the first card I've had with an annual fee, but i've had no regrets so far!

Doing a check in....

Well....hubby didn't make as much in February as he normally does. Because of that, one of the bills that I was hoping we'd be paying off before the end of April isn't going to happen anymore :(

However, I'm not discouraged. We are going to be successful in our debt repayment this year. I've never been this motivated to pay off our debt. Its aggressive repayment and its forcing us to reevaluate our wants and desires vs needs and survival necessities. I've gotten amazing over the last few years at grocery shopping and money saving, so having to tighten that more has been a bit of a challenge, but I want this so bad that I'm doing whatever I can to make it a success.

Our biggest challenge will be the land and sea trip in April. The Disney cruise was "won" by my hubbys work...all flights and cruise expenses were paid for by them (we have a $200 onboard credit and are going to work our butts off to not go over that amount!! I feel like this might more difficult than I'm anticipating!). But, we decided to post-extend to include DisneyWorld as we thought it would be worth the cost to take the kids there. I'm trying my best to try to come up with ways to save money like mad for this. I've already warned my husband that I may be scary cheap on the trip but he's ok with that.

I feel such stress and tightness in my chest at times thinking about money so hoping that by completing this goal, I can finally relax!

Hope everyone had a good weekend! I came to the conclusion over the weekend that we will definitely be adding to our debt this year and not getting rid of it. :( I know i've mentioned that thought before, but I think I truly realized it over the weekend. Spent just under $400 at Lowes on items for our house and I know i'll be adding to that total before we move in next weekend. We do get the keys tomorrow though! :cool1: I also bought our flights for two trips we have planned this year when Southwest released their schedule through Oct 1. But I bought these flights using points and companion pass, so I only paid the security fees (a total of about $50). 2 of the flights are for an August cruise that we plan on taking even though it would probably be best to not spend the money. My husband and I officially began dating on the Carnival Splendor when we went on a week long cruise with a group of our friends. 2 years later we got married on our anniversary. I found out that next year the Carnival Splendor will be moved from Long Beach to Australia permanently. So for our anniversary this year (4 married/6 together) we plan on taking another week long cruise on the Splendor before she leaves for good. :love:

Can’t blame you for the cruise. DH and I got married this past year on the Carnival Magic and we are hooked on cruising. We even considered the Splendor, but the dates didn’t work for us.

We’re planning a cruise on the Carnival Conquest this fall. Just waiting for SW to release October flights! I say life is short and enjoy your cruise!

Can’t blame you for the cruise. DH and I got married this past year on the Carnival Magic and we are hooked on cruising. We even considered the Splendor, but the dates didn’t work for us.

We’re planning a cruise on the Carnival Conquest this fall. Just waiting for SW to release October flights! I say life is short and enjoy your cruise!

Life is definitely short and we won't get the chance to go on her again unless we make a trip to Australia (which would be amazing!)I haven't been on the Magic or Conquest, just Splendor (Long Beach), Miracle(Long Beach), and Triumph (New Orleans). At least since Long Beach is our home port, we save on some travel costs! Hope you guys have a fabulous cruise on Conquest!

Life is definitely short and we won't get the chance to go on her again unless we make a trip to Australia (which would be amazing!)I haven't been on the Magic or Conquest, just Splendor (Long Beach), Miracle(Long Beach), and Triumph (New Orleans). At least since Long Beach is our home port, we save on some travel costs! Hope you guys have a fabulous cruise on Conquest!
Hey do you have a recommendation for a good airport hotel for LGB? Clean and affordable since it's just an overnight stay.

Hey do you have a recommendation for a good airport hotel for LGB? Clean and affordable since it's just an overnight stay.

Unfortunately I've never actually stayed at a hotel near LGB. I've stayed at a hotel in Seal Beach that was nice. http://www.thepacificinn.com/ it's 6 miles from the airport, 15 mins with no traffic on the freeway. I just did a Google search and I see there are a few Marriott's near the airport, a holiday inn express, Hampton Inn, Homewood Suites. I'm not sure how much they run though, I would imagine it could also depend on when it is your needing the room. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. :( If you ever need hotel recommendations in Anaheim for Disneyland, I can help with that. :)

Unfortunately I've never actually stayed at a hotel near LGB. I've stayed at a hotel in Seal Beach that was nice. http://www.thepacificinn.com/ it's 6 miles from the airport, 15 mins with no traffic on the freeway. I just did a Google search and I see there are a few Marriott's near the airport, a holiday inn express, Hampton Inn, Homewood Suites. I'm not sure how much they run though, I would imagine it could also depend on when it is your needing the room. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. :( If you ever need hotel recommendations in Anaheim for Disneyland, I can help with that. :)
Thanks. What are your recommendations for Disneyland?

@Ngwira We really like the Best Western Anaheim Inn, 5 minute walk to security, hot breakfast, remodeled rooms, charges a small resort fee but parking is included with it. It's also right next to a Denny's, Tony Roma's, Jimboys, small convenience store, etc. Our second choice would be the Tropicana Inn, 5 minute walk to security, recently remodeled rooms, comfy, has a convenience store is next door to McDonald's. Downside is they do charge something like $17 a day for parking. We've also stayed at Best Western Pavilions, it's a little bit further from the parks (maybe 10-15 minute walk? we uber'd so i can't say for certain), they offer a breakfast certificate for the Denny's that's in the same parking lot, quiet, rooms weren't bad. It's a little cheaper than the first two options because it's a little further away.

Other places we've stayed that we'd maybe stay at again if the price was right: Hotel Menage (now known as the Four Points by Sheraton) and the Days Inn and Suites Anaheim (on S. Harbor). Both of these hotels are "over the freeway" so they're maybe a 10-20 minute walk (Days Inn is slightly further away). The Sheraton charges for parking, Days Inn doesn't (at least when we stayed). Across the street is a Chevron, Starbucks, and Taco Bell. Next to the Days Inn there is a Shakey's Pizza. Sheraton didn't offer a free breakfast, but Days Inn offered a continental breakfast.

Hope this helps!

I just recently signed up for the SW card. 50,000 bonus miles after meeting minimum spending in the first three months. Normally I wouldn't take on another card but I figure I can at least see it through, if we get a plane ticket's worth from points, then it was worth it. Then, I'll see each year if it's worth maintaining or not.

Good news. Ish. Saw my deposit for my February check. With the tax change, I'm getting about $75 more a month. Now to decide what the best way to use this windfall will be ... :scratchin
I may be in the minority here, but I changed my deductions. I just don't trust that the "tax break" will be as fabulous as they say. Just throw me a tin foil hat. :) But, if we DO get that money back, we would like to look into a vacation to TN next year to scout out possible retirement locations.
You just reminded me that next month is a three paycheck month for me and DH! :banana:
I LOVE an extra paycheck!!! I will TOTALLY have the "surprise" CC dept paid off for sure with that check, and the rest will go towards the other card. I shall also do the banana dance now: :banana:

She said she is going to work hard to get me a full time position as she loved having me on her team at the hospital and she knows I’ll be a great asset to the University. It’s definitely nice getting that kind of feedback! I am still kind of shocked about how this all turned out! I never would have expected my decision to make a cold call like that would turn into such an awesome opportunity. Even if full time takes a while, it’s another stream of income to help me meet my debt dumping goals!:cool1:
Congrats!!!

Yes! We are counting down the days to be free and clear :hourglass We make a solid income, but we have just have never been good about sticking to a budget. 2018 is our year for change!
I hear you! I look at my complicated snowball and spreadsheet and think, "One day..." But 2018 is already a big turn around for us!

I feel such stress and tightness in my chest at times thinking about money so hoping that by completing this goal, I can finally relax!
Don't we all? Here on this board, I've learned it's okay to push myself. AND it's also okay to cut myself slack. Today, I had a mini-heart attack when I looked at my spreadsheets and something was off because I forgot a $400 bill next month. But hey...at least I realized it before next month.

My update: unexpected vet bill for the kitty named Phish. She's dandy and recovering. The food we bought for the family in need served them well. Had to sign up DD for basketball to the tune of $200 for a deposit. The upshot? I would've been freaking out if I didn't have my spreadsheets. I know what I'm spending. I watch it. I had a massive life event happen over the weekend and the budget still was foremost in my mind this morning, just for peace to make sure we have money for milk or ice cream. Because you know what? Ice cream helps.

Doing a check in....

Well....hubby didn't make as much in February as he normally does. Because of that, one of the bills that I was hoping we'd be paying off before the end of April isn't going to happen anymore :(

However, I'm not discouraged. We are going to be successful in our debt repayment this year. I've never been this motivated to pay off our debt. Its aggressive repayment and its forcing us to reevaluate our wants and desires vs needs and survival necessities. I've gotten amazing over the last few years at grocery shopping and money saving, so having to tighten that more has been a bit of a challenge, but I want this so bad that I'm doing whatever I can to make it a success.

Our biggest challenge will be the land and sea trip in April. The Disney cruise was "won" by my hubbys work...all flights and cruise expenses were paid for by them (we have a $200 onboard credit and are going to work our butts off to not go over that amount!! I feel like this might more difficult than I'm anticipating!). But, we decided to post-extend to include DisneyWorld as we thought it would be worth the cost to take the kids there. I'm trying my best to try to come up with ways to save money like mad for this. I've already warned my husband that I may be scary cheap on the trip but he's ok with that.

Ugh! That tightness in my chest is my driving force right now. I hate it, but it’s also given me the clarity to see the benefit knocking this debt OUT. I am sure we will have hiccups along the way which is why I love to have this group for support and accountability.

PLEASE teach me your ways for saving on grocery store runs and food in general. We definitely eat a good portion of our income. While we have a big family, we could tighten this up considerably. When I successfully meal plan, we do great. But, if not it gets expensive quickly. I’ll take any tips and tricks you’re willing to give ::yes::

I may be in the minority here, but I changed my deductions. I just don't trust that the "tax break" will be as fabulous as they say. Just throw me a tin foil hat. :) But, if we DO get that money back, we would like to look into a vacation to TN next year to scout out possible retirement locations.

I LOVE an extra paycheck!!! I will TOTALLY have the "surprise" CC dept paid off for sure with that check, and the rest will go towards the other card. I shall also do the banana dance now: :banana:

Congrats!!!

I hear you! I look at my complicated snowball and spreadsheet and think, "One day..." But 2018 is already a big turn around for us!

Don't we all? Here on this board, I've learned it's okay to push myself. AND it's also okay to cut myself slack. Today, I had a mini-heart attack when I looked at my spreadsheets and something was off because I forgot a $400 bill next month. But hey...at least I realized it before next month.

My update: unexpected vet bill for the kitty named Phish. She's dandy and recovering. The food we bought for the family in need served them well. Had to sign up DD for basketball to the tune of $200 for a deposit. The upshot? I would've been freaking out if I didn't have my spreadsheets. I know what I'm spending. I watch it. I had a massive life event happen over the weekend and the budget still was foremost in my mind this morning, just for peace to make sure we have money for milk or ice cream. Because you know what? Ice cream helps.

This board is by far my favorite for the very reasons you mentioned- it’s okay to be super intense about debt payoff and it’s okay to make a conscious decision to loosen things up for a specific reason or event. Definitely grateful for this knowledgeable and friendly group!

Just had Home Depot over about putting more insulation in our attic. The upstairs is always hot in the summer and cold in the winter, so I think better insulation should help. And I want to get this done since we are now working on converting my sewing room into DD's nursery. She is getting big and will soon have to transition out of the bassinet. I got a quote from another place that wanted $1300. Home Depot said $1000 and they are actually going to do more because that quote included replacing the crappy cardboard baffles with nicer plastic ones for better air circulation. We can also get a $125 rebate through our energy company. And they have availability for next week.

DD had her physical therapy evaluation today. It was with the same therapist she saw before about her eating issues. She said that though Asha does have muscle tightness, it was what she called, "the higher end of the normal range." She said that she doesn't think we should worry about a larger problem and that with some regular work at home on different exercises, she should be much improved. And she also wrote me a note to give to the daycare to ensure that they are giving DD enough tummy time each day to help her strengthen her core and shoulder muscles. I feel much better now and have a concrete plan to move forward with. I always work better with a plan.

I mailed off the retainer check for the architect today and will be setting up an appointment to have her take measurements for our basement floor plans. I am pretty excited to get started on the basement. We also have a few other home projects that we plan on doing as well. I want to have a storm door installed on the front of the house. We want to do a tile backsplash in the kitchen, though I will probably wait on that because we would do the same backsplash in the basement wet bar. And we want to have an attic ladder added to the garage and putting down some flooring so that we can have some storage above the garage.

And finally, we have DD's hebrew baby naming set up for March. My parents will be coming to visit for the weekend and we plan to spend Saturday at the Henry Ford Museum. They have a Science of Pixar exhibit that I have been wanting to see before it leaves in mid-March, so I am really excited for it.

Oh and when we had the guy from home depot over last night, something happened that I found pretty funny. When DD started rubbing her eyes (her tell tale sign of being ready for bed), DH took her to her bassinet and put her to sleep. She settled right down, without as much as a peep, which is pretty typical for her. The guy was like, wait, is she asleep now? Just like that? No crying, no fuss? He was in total shock. :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter