Debt Dumpers - 2019

Thanks for the replies on the dining plan! I think if we did do it on another visit, the regular plan probably would make sense for us as we usually do two or so table service meals. I see, so I could mix up how I use the QS and TS, just can't mix the plans. Sorry if that sounded confusing!

Okay. I need help Adulting for a minute. Lol.

I got approved for a Capital One Platinum MasterCard today. It has a low limit, which I'm fine with because it can be raised with consistent payments. I really just want it to help raise my credit score since I didn't have a credit card to help build. I plan to just use it for gas each month and pay it off in full. So my question: WHEN do I pay it? Do I pay it in full *before* the billing cycle closes or do I pay it in full *after* the cycle closes and I get the bill and then pay the full amount due?

Second, does anyone know if you can use a cast iron skillet on a glass top electric stove?

Third, we just got the first of the hospital bills from Piper's ER visits and all that fun .stuff when she broke her arm. Has anyone applied to have them wrote off or heavily discounted before? Bill #1 is already $1500 and we still have 3 more to come. Ugh.

I got approved for a Capital One Platinum MasterCard today. It has a low limit, which I'm fine with because it can be raised with consistent payments. I really just want it to help raise my credit score since I didn't have a credit card to help build. I plan to just use it for gas each month and pay it off in full. So my question: WHEN do I pay it? Do I pay it in full *before* the billing cycle closes or do I pay it in full *after* the cycle closes and I get the bill and then pay the full amount due?
You don't have to carry a balance or really let the cycle close showing a balance to help improve your credit. All that will really matter is how much you are charging in gas per month vs what your limit is. Your usage percentage has an impact, so if you are charging $500 on a $1000 limit for example, 50%, looks high and may make your score a bit lower. So depending on how much your gas is vs your limit, maybe you want to pay full or part before the cycle closes to help bump it up. Usually it's not a huge impact overall though, and also if you had a month close with high usage and the next month close with very little, it corrects itself a bit.

Second, does anyone know if you can use a cast iron skillet on a glass top electric stove?

Third, we just got the first of the hospital bills from Piper's ER visits and all that fun .stuff when she broke her arm. Has anyone applied to have them wrote off or heavily discounted before? Bill #1 is already $1500 and we still have 3 more to come. Ugh.
I can only help with 1. You can pay it either before the statements closes or after it closes before the due date. I prefer to pay my credit cards in full after the statement closes. The only time I usually make interim payments is if I have purchased something for someone else and get paid back, I’ll immediate send that money off to the credit card.

We have used a cast iron skilled on a glass top electric stove before. I was just careful to not drop it or slide it across the top.

the ones that come from our local hospitals have wording on them that speak to an automatic 10% discount if paid within 30 days of billing, there's also often a number printed on the bill for patient financial assistance. sometimes it works best to call the hospital directly and ask to speak to someone in patient services in house b/c they may be more familiar with assistance programs vs. those who who work for contracted billing companies out of state (seems like most of the billing in our region is done by out of state companies).

1. As long as you pay it off before it gets reported to the credit agencies (a few days after your due date) it doesn't make too much difference WHEN you do it. It might jiggery pokery a few extra points, but honestly the long game of 100% on time payments, credit age, and low utilization will help you the most. For example, I currently sit at almost 12k of CC debt (which is up quite a bit for us unfortunately but **** has happened) but my total available credit is 45k, so my utilization is 27%. You want to keep it under a third at all times, ideally, less than 10% if possible. If you are ONLY using it for gas, you should be fine with paying it off each month. Also, welcome to the CC game. Be careful.

2. Yes, I have. Like Stacy said, don't drag it along the stovetop and use both hands when moving it.

3. Call the office/hospital. Explain the situation. Most of the time they will work with you. Some money is usually better than no money.

I use mine on the glass top stove all the time. I am just really care to make sure I set it down carefully so it doesn't slam down to hard and crack the glass.

1- I had read paying it off soon after charges are made helps to keep utilization low. I can’t verify the accuracy of this, but the article I read suggested paying at least weekly. Personally, I just pay once before the due date.

2- No idea

3- Oui- medical bills :sad2: I think it depends on the hospital. When I was young and naieve, I spoke with someone in billing who convinced me the best option was to pay it in full with my credit card ‘and just take my time paying it off’. It took me too many bills and too much interest to realize this was TERRIBLE advice. I have never had luck getting my bills reduced, but I have had success setting up payment plans. Now that I am older and wiser :laughing:, I do this for most bills over $1k even though I *could* pay in full with our HSA. If they are going to give me an interest free payment plan, I’ll take that and keep my HSA balance healthy. Most hospitals do have programs for bill reduction/forgiveness if you qualify, so it’s definitely worth a phone call or two!

On the medical bills, has it already been run through your insurance? Our local hospital often sends a bill right away for the full amount, and then we get a follow up bill that reflects what insurance has covered. I have always been able to negotiate payments. Basically, I tell them what I want to pay and that’s what they accept and set up for me.

On the medical bills, has it already been run through your insurance? Our local hospital often sends a bill right away for the full amount, and then we get a follow up bill that reflects what insurance has covered. I have always been able to negotiate payments. Basically, I tell them what I want to pay and that’s what they accept and set up for me.

It does show insurance paid a little bit, but they usually run it a couple times, so I wonder if I wait another couple weeks if I'll get a final bill.

It does show insurance paid a little bit, but they usually run it a couple times, so I wonder if I wait another couple weeks if I'll get a final bill.

My medical / hospital / doctor bills will show what the insurance company allows and then if the insurance paid anything. Otherwise, it is on me. The hospital and my PCP clinic will generally also do an additional discount on the remaining balance. At the hospital, I have to send in paperwork for each visit, but my PCP clinic I only have to re-certify every year. (Pay stubs to prove I'm part of the working poor).

I'd give your insurance a call. I ran into this a bit with a dentist bill once, they tried to get me for an extra $100... It did have a bit to do with me turning 26 and not being eligible under my dad's healthcare any longer. Basically it was the end of the month that I turned 26, but the dentist verified on the phone in front of me, and I verified and got in writing that my coverage went through the end of the month. But the dentist billed and when I called to talk about the charges, they told me I wasn't covered at all (no insurance because over 26). So I had to go back to the old insurance and sent a message and uploaded dentist bill, written message from them I was covered, original estimate for work, etc. It was a bit of a pain because it was almost 6 months later, so I no longer had an account with that insurance agency to work through, and they had trouble looking me up on the phone. But I sent that through the contact form, got a message back a few days later that I should only owe $$ to the dentist (actually less than the dentist's estimate/what I had paid the day of service, so insurance told me I overpaid) and when I stopped by the dentist office for my next appointment which was around this time anyways, they were like oh you have a credit for $$ (amount insurance told me I overpaid) like magic! Yeah. :sad2: Anyways, it can't hurt to verify with insurance if they are done with their part.

Checking in for March. I'm so glad this board exists, because if nothing else, it's making me stay accountable. I paid off my first CC today it had the smallest amount but the highest interest. Moving on to the next one. Like I said, it'll take a bit, but I'm doing it this time. My regular savings ( I also keep a Christmas club and vacation account ) is up to $4880 and change. My goal at Christmas for savings was to always try to have $5000 and keep it going. I've saved with every check and I'm only $120 down so I'll be at $5000 by the end of the month and move my goal to $10000.
I have finished my full month of "no buy" in January where I didn't allow myself to buy anything but needs such as groceries and toilet paper etc. I've loosened my rules for myself but the no buy really helped me. Instead of buying anything I want, I now think about it way more and leave most everything behind because I really don't need it. I did buy 4 new shirts today at costco at $12.99 each. I needed some new plain and easy shirts for an upcoming ( and fully paid for ) trip and I wasn't going to beat $12.99.
I had an annoyance earlier this month when I got an email that my homeowners was cancelled due to non-payment. I called my insurance guy and questioned what was going on since my insurance $ is in escrow. My mortgage company paid it late- only 4 days before the due date. It's been received and I'm back and re-instated, but my insurance guy, who's seen what a nightmare my mortgage people are, said I need a new one. I told him that at 3% on a 15 year that's been paid down 5 so far, that's not happening. So, I continue to babysit my mortgage company instead.
I so can't wait to get more of my debt paid off. I make pretty decent money but absolutely have spent more than I should. This will help me grow my savings ( my retirement is good, I routinely put 16% away plus what my company matches) and have more cash available when I want or need something. Thanks for the support!

We were never given a choice whether to pay our taxes/ins on our own vs. escrow but after many, many years of doing escrow, I finally wrote them a letter to request that we can pay on our own and was approved. Initially, they asked me to send proof of each bill I paid but after a year or so I stopped doing that too. It's so silly and waste of time.
They were never late on making payments but they never wanted the balance to drop below $1000 which was annoying. Of course they're making money off of holding onto our money.
So "Escrow" is one of several savings accounts we have at Ally and it's not earth shattering interest that it's earning but it's ours. It typically earns $5-7 per month which doesn't sound like a lot but if you do the math over a 15 yr mortgage, that comes to $900-1260 and that doesn't even factor in compounding of interest.

I think it can't hurt to write them a letter if you've been on time with your payments. Or if you're lucky, your mortgage will get transferred to another bank. That happened twice when we had our condo and once after we moved to our current home. I wondered why, since we were never late but they said it happens a lot in the mortgage world.

I just think it's so stupid that you all have these medical bills to contend with :( you shouldn't have to go into debt for your child breaking her arm :(

medical expenses are insane which is why it's so vital if given a choice between insurance plans to weigh out the monthly/yearly (deductibles/max oop costs) potential costs of higher vs. lower premium plans.

dh and i were never so glad to have always opted to pay for higher monthly cost/lower oop cost coverage than when our dd broke her arm about 15 years ago. it was a minor break but it uncovered an issue that necessitated orthopedic surgery. we had an hmo so all we ever paid were $10 copays for each appointment and $25 for the hospital overnight stay (for surgery). it was months of appointments and while i have no idea how much it all came to, the hospital hiccuped on the billing and sent it to us-the negotiated lower amount that the insurance company was paying out was over $60,000:faint::faint: if we had opted for the lower monthly cost plan our then employer's offered we would have been on the hook for a large deductible, 20% of all those doctor's appointments, mris, tests.... and $12,000 for the hospital-the equivalent to years and years and years of the higher cost of our insurance. at the same time a friend's child had a serious medical diagnosis. the friend always thought people like us who paid for the higher coverage plans were 'suckers' and he could do better 'banking the difference' (of course it never happened that the difference got banked)-in the first 3 months his kid's expenses were in the hundreds of thousands BEFORE he rolled into a new deductible year. within 6 months they were looking at over $50,000 just as THEIR share of the costs:sad2::sad2::sad2: my dd went on to need a second surgery-again low cost to us while his little guy needed several years of treatments to the point of financial destitution of their family.

Or if you're lucky, your mortgage will get transferred to another bank. That happened twice when we had our condo and once after we moved to our current home. I wondered why, since we were never late but they said it happens a lot in the mortgage world.

We bought our house last year and in a matter of 2 months I think our mortgage was sold like twice. The last one has stuck so far though. It's now being handled through U.S. Bank and I haven't had any issues as of yet, fingers crossed.

medical expenses are insane which is why it's so vital if given a choice between insurance plans to weigh out the monthly/yearly (deductibles/max oop costs) potential costs of higher vs. lower premium plans.

dh and i were never so glad to have always opted to pay for higher monthly cost/lower oop cost coverage than when our dd broke her arm about 15 years ago. it was a minor break but it uncovered an issue that necessitated orthopedic surgery. we had an hmo so all we ever paid were $10 copays for each appointment and $25 for the hospital overnight stay (for surgery). it was months of appointments and while i have no idea how much it all came to, the hospital hiccuped on the billing and sent it to us-the negotiated lower amount that the insurance company was paying out was over $60,000:faint::faint: if we had opted for the lower monthly cost plan our then employer's offered we would have been on the hook for a large deductible, 20% of all those doctor's appointments, mris, tests.... and $12,000 for the hospital-the equivalent to years and years and years of the higher cost of our insurance. at the same time a friend's child had a serious medical diagnosis. the friend always thought people like us who paid for the higher coverage plans were 'suckers' and he could do better 'banking the difference' (of course it never happened that the difference got banked)-in the first 3 months his kid's expenses were in the hundreds of thousands BEFORE he rolled into a new deductible year. within 6 months they were looking at over $50,000 just as THEIR share of the costs:sad2::sad2::sad2: my dd went on to need a second surgery-again low cost to us while his little guy needed several years of treatments to the point of financial destitution of their family.

I couldn’t agree more though I’m sad for your friend. Even when I was young and single, I always opted for the low oop plan. You never know what’s down the road, even if you’re healthy. When ds18 had his wisdom teeth pulled last June, it totaled thousands of $$ including anesthesia. We only paid $35 copay for the initial consult.
What stinks is when people don’t have much choice and the only plan offered is a high-deductible type.

What stinks is when people don’t have much choice and the only plan offered is a high-deductible type.

this is EXACTLY what is happening to many public service retirees who hired on when shared cost health insurance was guaranteed through their retirement. most if not all government entities have shut down this provision for new hires in recent years (i want to say the entity i retired from did so about 10 years ago) and to speed up eliminating retirees off the coverage they are opting for the worst coverage/highest cost to retiree plans-where in years past a retiree could opt in to any plan offered active employees they are often now just given one plan-that covers next to nothing but in a catastrophic event is better than just medicare.

the ones that come from our local hospitals have wording on them that speak to an automatic 10% discount if paid within 30 days of billing, there's also often a number printed on the bill for patient financial assistance. sometimes it works best to call the hospital directly and ask to speak to someone in patient services in house b/c they may be more familiar with assistance programs vs. those who who work for contracted billing companies out of state (seems like most of the billing in our region is done by out of state companies).
You can always call them and say you need to work out a payment plan. Most hospitals expect this and are happy to work with you. A couple times they just asked me how much I could pay each month and that was that, they noted it and everything was fine as long as I paid what I was supposed to by the date each month we'd agreed on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter