Debt Dumpers 2020

My mom was a child during the Depression 1929...and so on....we always had extra everything..and I have done that also...including emergency fund...i have taught that to our kids and grandkids...Also when you get a job fund your 401K!!!! so far so good...

I'd be golden if I was replacing a fridge, freezer, or dishwasher! :sad:

That sucks. But it's good to tuck that info away for later. I think a lot of people don't know these programs exist.

ETA just looked ours up since we're getting rid of an old stand alone freezer and they'd pick it up for free and give is $25 for it since it's from before 92. We've already taken care of removal though. They also offer rebates on different heating systems, replacing single pane windows and adding insulation.

Last edited:
I'd be golden if I was replacing a fridge, freezer, or dishwasher! :sad:

IF you could find a freezer.

i was looking at fridges on a local appliance store's website (our 'garage fridge' is starting to make noises like it's heading south-it's 21 years old so i know it's not worth repairing) and they had a big banner on the top of their website that read 'no freezers in stock-no known restocking dates'. i mentioned this to a friend who works at one of the national chains and he said between the stimulus check run on people replacing old appliances and people who never owned a full size freezer buying them so they can stock up on food-our 2 local stores for his company haven't had freezers in 2 months and the warehouses for the national chain have no idea when they will get manufacturer shipments.

IF you could find a freezer.

i was looking at fridges on a local appliance store's website (our 'garage fridge' is starting to make noises like it's heading south-it's 21 years old so i know it's not worth repairing) and they had a big banner on the top of their website that read 'no freezers in stock-no known restocking dates'. i mentioned this to a friend who works at one of the national chains and he said between the stimulus check run on people replacing old appliances and people who never owned a full size freezer buying them so they can stock up on food-our 2 local stores for his company haven't had freezers in 2 months and the warehouses for the national chain have no idea when they will get manufacturer shipments.

My mom just bought a small size freezer at lowes for 179 on Thursday and brought it home. While she waa there two other people bought freezers. So they can be found but obviously they are still in demand. The one it's replacing is over 40 years old. It's full size and too big now. She's curious what difference it'll make to the electric bill.

Bi monthly check in
I Wish I was checking in for a Disney reservation..lol. Have a great trip
dayvewc pixiedust: (Very tough decision you have). Be Safe!!

So far I've been able to not touch my savings account,,,the summer may be difficult as I am laid off till the Fall.

I have been so shocked by the increase in cost of everyday things I usually buy during this Pandemic.

So for the past 2 weeks I have been searching for those products and doing a 1 year stock pile of them. Yes I am worried about a second wave/surge in Covid cases next Fall.

So far I have:
Colgate toothpaste 99 cents each
Toilet Paper 24 pack =$3.99
Kleenex Scotties 6 pack = $2.99
Paper Towels 8 pack = $3.99 .
Purex HE Laundry Soap = $3.33
Bounce unscented Laundry sheets box = $3.33
Garbage Bags & Recycling Bags = $2.49
Kraft Peanut butter = $2.99
Tetley Tea Bags = $6.99
Pasta,,4 different varieties = $1.99

Still on my list to get are
Dish soap/ Antibacterial Palmolive = 88 cents
Bottle/Can veggie pasta sauces=hopefully $1.50 to $2.00 each
Rice,,on the look-out for prices to come down.
Wipes,,,,I don't ever think they are coming back in stock....I wish I had some for back to work in the Fall,(school).
If you have anything that you stock up on please share.

I dumped my travel rewards card for a new credit card that gives cash back.
I already have a huge amount of travel rewards banked from this past winter/Spring.

I am doing cloth bags for next Christmas and found a great Etsy seller(great quality) and ordered all my bags needed ahead of time.:santa:
I am redoing my Christmas list and being very aggressive with pairing it down.

Now I just really need to come up with a craft/hobby to keep me busy so I don't over eat.
Suggestions are welcome!

Hugs to everyone
Mel

Hubby works construction, so work is either feast or famine mode. So, I try to have food and household goods stocked for at least 3 months. Trying now to extend it to 6+ months. Right now, it is feast, famine or covid-19 mode. 9 people have the virus at the company hubby works, one died last week. Protocols are good on job sites, but still gets me and hubby nervous.

I still need to stock up on to feel okay:

2 back up Manual can openers
sanitary pads (for daughters)
toilet paper (you can never have enough)
coffee-beans and ground
flour-bread, all purpose, cake
sugar-granulated, powder, brown
yeast
masa
lard
shortnening
cereal
bar soap
wipes
borax
Lysol
hydrogen peroxide
white distilled vinegar
CHOCOLATE-every type, including powdered
canned fruits and vegetables, especially beans
grains
1000 piece puzzles
Christmas presents for family
cash in small bills

Well our July budget is shot but having my dh still with me is worth it. We were on vacation last Sunday down in Mammoth Cave Ky area. We were planning to head to Shiloh TN area on Monday so we got up early, 5:30 so my dh could do a 60 mile bike ride and I could get in a run. He is a very experienced cyclist. He planned to be back at the campground by 10 so we could check out at 11. Unfortunately his bike ride turned tragic and he ended up knocked unconscious in a ravine in Mammoth Cave National Park. He was finally found around 1 pm and was life flighted to University of Louisville Hospital. He was well enough to be released on Wednesday evening and we headed home on Thursday. We had to make a visit to urgent care on Saturday as once we got home we realized he was covered in poison oak/ivy from laying in the ravine. Had it not been for a motorcyclist seeing his bright orange bike my DH may not be alive today. He has a lot of internal injuries that will take time to heal but he is alive and that is all I could ask for.

Then our 12 year old Black Lab, Bella was acting strange when we got home and I took her to vet yesterday and she was diagnosed with diabetes and we are also waiting on rest of blood work as they think there is more going on.

I am working from home so I can take care of DH and the dog and we received an email saying that they are going to be reducing staff and the first round will happen July 20th and 2nd round early Aug. My boss thinks our role is safe but until I officially see it I won't be believe it.

I am extremely grateful that both my DH and dog are doing ok but 2020 is not my favorite right now!

If you don’t want to immediately replace your oven, you can get a counter top Breville that works pretty much as a small oven replacement. I use mine all summer long since it doesn’t warm up my house as much as my normal oven.

@Deffenm so glad that person spotted your DH and he is on the mend. So scary but glad he got the care he needed. Hope they don't find anything else going on with your pup and you can get the diabetes under control. It's not that difficult once they find the right insulin dose to control it, just can take some time to dial that in. Fingers crossed for you that your job remains safe too!

Well our July budget is shot but having my dh still with me is worth it. We were on vacation last Sunday down in Mammoth Cave Ky area. We were planning to head to Shiloh TN area on Monday so we got up early, 5:30 so my dh could do a 60 mile bike ride and I could get in a run. He is a very experienced cyclist. He planned to be back at the campground by 10 so we could check out at 11. Unfortunately his bike ride turned tragic and he ended up knocked unconscious in a ravine in Mammoth Cave National Park. He was finally found around 1 pm and was life flighted to University of Louisville Hospital. He was well enough to be released on Wednesday evening and we headed home on Thursday. We had to make a visit to urgent care on Saturday as once we got home we realized he was covered in poison oak/ivy from laying in the ravine. Had it not been for a motorcyclist seeing his bright orange bike my DH may not be alive today. He has a lot of internal injuries that will take time to heal but he is alive and that is all I could ask for.

Then our 12 year old Black Lab, Bella was acting strange when we got home and I took her to vet yesterday and she was diagnosed with diabetes and we are also waiting on rest of blood work as they think there is more going on.

I am working from home so I can take care of DH and the dog and we received an email saying that they are going to be reducing staff and the first round will happen July 20th and 2nd round early Aug. My boss thinks our role is safe but until I officially see it I won't be believe it.

I am extremely grateful that both my DH and dog are doing ok but 2020 is not my favorite right now!

Omg that's so scary!! I'm glad he's ok!!

Thanks to everyone for posting the great recommendations on items to stock up on! We're doing ok pandemic-wise in VA right now, but I think cases are about to go up as we hit the two week mark from July 4 and going to phase 3. We've already seen a slight uptick. Cases in my county continue to be largely isolated to nursing homes and impoverished areas with a lot of shared housing (both of which are extremely sad), but I'm still taking precautions and trying to avoid unnecessary trips out. I'm going to work about 2-3 days a week now and made a Costco run today. I spent $275 :eek: But, they had toilet paper and paper towels so I went ahead and bought a pack of both. Since it's just the two of us, we now probably have enough to last us through the winter. I bought some more dish detergent on sale and already have three bottles of laundry detergent that I got on sale at Kroger the other week. I picked up a couple frozen food items today, but didn't get a ton of stuff. I'm trying to use up everything we currently have in the house first. I also bought three bags of DH's Starbucks coffee from Costco since it was on sale for such a good deal. He drinks A LOT of coffee, so we go through it faster than the average person, but it'll still last him a while.

DH is at a horse show in PA this week. I managed to get all four nights at the hotel free on points, so that was nice. He's going to try to eat a little more cheaply while he's there. Our restaurant spending is still waaaaay down. I have been splurging on starbucks (I like the frou-frou drinks, not the coffee DH gets lol) on the days I go into the office, but even that is still way less than what we'd spend in a normal month. I plan to eat at home all week while DH is gone.

It's a three paycheck month so I'm hoping to put most of that money in savings! I did schedule an extra $100 payment towards DH's student loan this month, and I'm talking to him a little more about going ahead and paying it off now that things have leveled out with his job. I'd like to pay it off before my student loan payments resume in October. I don't think we should have any other unexpected expenses this month, unless I have to take my cat to the vet. She had sneezed a couple times at night recently, and had a pretty bad sneezing fit in the middle of the night last night. I heard her sneeze a couple times this afternoon when I got home. She's acting completely normal, eating, drinking, being grumpy (as usual), and doesn't have a runny nose or eyes. I'm not sure what's going on. Hopefully just a little allergy trigger.

Hubby works construction, so work is either feast or famine mode. So, I try to have food and household goods stocked for at least 3 months. Trying now to extend it to 6+ months. Right now, it is feast, famine or covid-19 mode. 9 people have the virus at the company hubby works, one died last week. Protocols are good on job sites, but still gets me and hubby nervous.

I still need to stock up on to feel okay:

2 back up Manual can openers
sanitary pads (for daughters)
toilet paper (you can never have enough)
coffee-beans and ground
flour-bread, all purpose, cake
sugar-granulated, powder, brown
yeast
masa
lard
shortnening
cereal
bar soap
wipes
borax
Lysol
hydrogen peroxide
white distilled vinegar
CHOCOLATE-every type, including powdered
canned fruits and vegetables, especially beans
grains
1000 piece puzzles
Christmas presents for family
cash in small bills

Thanks Hon
You just helped me add a few more I forgot about.I appreciate your list.
I hope you and hubby stay safe and well!!! I go back to work in Sept and I'd be lying if I said I feel prepared right now.
I am hoping the *powers that be* make some good decisions for a safe back to school open,,for both kids and staff.
Hugs to you
Mel

Ah Hon I am so so so sorry to hear this. I'd need a good stiff drink and a long cry in the shower. You are doing a great job being there for your hubby and my thoughts and prayers are with you!
Please remember to take good care of yourself too.
Healing Hugs to you and your hubby.
And yes I am also so over 2020,,,.......................................DONE!
Hugs
Mel

@Deffenm Omg--how completely scary for him, you--your whole family. I am so glad that he was discovered by that other person in time to be saved. I send you big healing wishes--for your ailing dog, too.

You are right--2020 is memorable for all the wrong reasons!

I'm so glad he is ok! Thank goodness he was found by the biker. Do they think he was hit by a car?

@Deffenm
That is so scary. Try not to think about worse scenarios about what could have been. He is ok. That's all that matters. :thumbsup2 :goodvibes

For several months after the tree fell on our house, I kept thinking so many what-ifs in my mind. What if ds was in the kitchen when it fell? What if he had been standing with the refrigerator door open? (A huge branch poked right through the fridge door, taking it right of its hinges.) I couldn't stop thinking about it but after a while I had to really push those ugly thoughts out of my mind and remind myself we're all ok and that's what's important.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter