Debt Dumpers 2020

I love these 3-check months! Too bad that our regular, every day use cc is on the high side so we'll have to send around $400 of it to our cc bill. Oh well, could be worse I guess. Dh found someone selling used bricks so he bought them and then found more and made a huge back patio for us. It turned out pretty good. (With some help from his concrete-working buddy.) The concrete that was out there before was very small, cracked and looked terrible. He pulled out a shrub I loved but also pulled out a nasty bed of ivy from the previous owner which had eventually filled with weeds too. The whole area looks so much brighter and cleaner. Now there's plenty of room for our grill, chairs, and firepit. Also much easier access to the outdoor faucet for setting the sprinkler. So much usable space.
We found some rocking chairs that remind us of the back patio of the Beach Club that we loved to sit in when we stayed there. :lovestruc I'm watching them for now and hoping they go on sale later in the season. This will be as close as we can get to a Disney fix for a long time.
We're not big on sitting outside a lot; it's buggy and I have awful allergies, but this is a big improvement. It all started from dh getting done work every day at noon and being bored and deciding to do a project.
He'll be working OT this Sat & Sun which is the first OT since covid began.:cool1: This will more than make up for the patio expenses.

My work is gradually getting busier. We are at around 90% capacity right now. They still are social distancing in the waiting rooms but it's becoming difficult with so many patients in our dept at one time. It's just too much imho. I'm back to being exhausted when I get home.

Ds20 started welding school in mid June. (It can open because technically it's a training center, not a school.) He loves it but it's very challenging. He also started a new PT job at a gas/service station close to home. In NJ, it's illegal to pump your own gas. LOL. So ds is pumping gas. Same station my brother worked at in the early 80s but different owners. Their gas is a good $0.40/gal higher than anyone else so he only pumps for around 3-4 cars and the rest of the time is "wrenching" as he calls it: Learning to replace brake pads, tires, belts, etc. He loves cars so the fact that someone is willing to pay him to learn all of this is like giving wine to an alcoholic. He loves the variety too. It's not the same mundane repetitive thing over and over. Yet.

@imbatman
Sending you hugs Honey! Hope you feel good soon! :hug:

Logged on to look at my Sapphire card this morning and I have three payments left: August, September, October! I can't believe it! I'm so close! And being able to handle the three-fold emergency spending in the last two weeks on top of that has me jazzed. Starting to rebuild my emergency savings a week at a time now. We've also decided to sit and reevaluate paying off the mortgage once we are debt-free. We need to look at the need for a car and helping both girls with college. *edit: sorry about the repeating...I blame the pain meds* :rolleyes1

Last edited:

Just wanted to post a word of encouragement to those in debt who check our boards and don't post:

You can do this! :bounce:

If you need help, feel free to DM one of the regular posters for advice. :mic:

If you're embarrassed and don't want to post with your regular handle? See mine? :cool1:

I can't tell you how much I love the encouragement here. :grouphug: (with the exception of a few trolls who can't help themselves :stir: )

Last year, I was SEVERAL thousands of dollars in debt. :crazy2:

It's okay to have success one payoff at a time. Small movement = movement toward financial freedom. :flower1:

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Luckily DH was not hit by a car. Based on damage to him and his bike his tire hit something in the road causing the accident.

Unfortunately our bad luck just keeps on coming. I ended up in the hospital last Thursday - Saturday. It appears I had an ovarian cyst that ruptured. DH and I are slowly healing together. They say things come in 3 so hopefully we are now done.

We are not spending any money right now just waiting for dr bill's to start coming in.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Luckily DH was not hit by a car. Based on damage to him and his bike his tire hit something in the road causing the accident.

Unfortunately our bad luck just keeps on coming. I ended up in the hospital last Thursday - Saturday. It appears I had an ovarian cyst that ruptured. DH and I are slowly healing together. They say things come in 3 so hopefully we are now done.

We are not spending any money right now just waiting for dr bill's to start coming in.

I hope you are both on the mend! One time my father in law was sick and had been air lifted to Mayo Clinic. My husband and his siblings and I left the room at one time to wander and get a snack and when we came back we couldn't find my mother in law. We looked everywhere. Finally found her- she had a seizure in the restroom and hit her head and head and was in the Emergency Room! She was admitted that day and he would get wheeled down to spend the day with her while they were both there.

Oh my goodness!!! Ok you are so done 2020,,I give you permission to start planning a wonderful 2021.
Healing Hugs~~ being sent your way!
Hugs
Mel

Oh my! I remember my mom having that when I was a little kid. I still remember her laying on the bathroom floor in pain.
I hope you feel better soon! and your hubby too! :grouphug:

- Find the bills
- Pay the bills
- Stop impulse buying stocks
- Donate unused beautiful things you haven’t worn in 5 years. It’s just clutter.
- Clean out the files
- Plan the wedding
- Buy airline tickets for SSR stay in September
- Teach the kid everything the union teachers won’t or find a way to pay for private school.

do you ever notice when you think you are going to make some progress something happens to mess that up?? DH has some overtime on his check so thought we would be able to pay a good chunk towards debt. Unfortunately, it now appears I need new tires on my car!

cars and major appliances can smell money. if it's in the pipeline-they can tell. they also get jealous if you spend too much on others so they start to act up. never fails-call out the repair guy on the freezer and a few days later the hvac wants a friend to visit it :(

do you ever notice when you think you are going to make some progress something happens to mess that up?? DH has some overtime on his check so thought we would be able to pay a good chunk towards debt. Unfortunately, it now appears I need new tires on my car!
Yes...yes...I feel this. I am having issues with the new tires (they vibrate/bounce?) and I hate the new oven. But at least I can bake and drive back and forth to work.

I have taken the car to the tire shop (bought them at a national chain) and they said nothing was wrong. :guilty:

And welcome @Carol_ ! So nice of you to pop in and join us. When are you getting married?

Yes...yes...I feel this. I am having issues with the new tires (they vibrate/bounce?) and I hate the new oven. But at least I can bake and drive back and forth to work.

I have taken the car to the tire shop (bought them at a national chain) and they said nothing was wrong. :guilty:

And welcome @Carol_ ! So nice of you to pop in and join us. When are you getting married?
Thanks! Was scheduled for August but now it’s May.

If your tires feel like they are vibrating, you might need an alignment. I would take the car to a different place and have them check that.

I'm not crazy! Took it back and had a nice, unrushed talk with the manager. He just called me back and said he took it for a drive and felt it too. They did a special test (road force) and two of the tires were out of spec, so they replaced them for free! Now I'll be less worried about the trips to Stanford and back.

Alright, peeps, dig up those old posts and update!

2020 Goals
Financial:

1. Pay off Discover card. – Scheduled to be paid by the end of the year. Feb. 2021 at the latest if there is a financial emergency.
  2. Pay off Sapphire card. – Payments scheduled with the exception of the last one in October!
  3. Shift purchases to CC’s after balances are paid. – Currently running everything through the Chase Disney and paying off weekly
  4. Continue Roth contributions. – I deposit at least $25/month. I'm focusing on CC debt first.
  5. Continue vacation fund. – Nope. Not happening. This is not the emergency fund that paid for my new tires this month.
  6. Get that snowball spreadsheet updated and started. – On target and doing good! It is magical to see those zeroes so close!

Personal:

1. Maintain weight. – Surgeon's orders that I cannot lose weight.
  2. Finish two manuscripts. – Just got a contract with a December deadline!
  3. Carve out family time. – Hey Covid. Thanks for the movies and crime show family time.
  4. Breathe. – Things will happen. I look at this and think how much we've all had to adapt this year. We're doing great, ya'll!

I am too lazy to look up my old posts but we are doing great financially! Thanks Covid!

Our Ally savings is up to $27,500. If we get another stimulus check, it will go straight there.

I have my "buckets" set up and have met the goal for our DL APs (which we won't have to renew until like February or March at this point). They are set to expire 8/26 so I made it a goal to have this bucket full by Aug 1 with $3500. Done. Bought DHs AP at the end of May before they stopped selling them. Paid in full with cash.

The next bucket is our 0% balance transfer CC. The bucket is up to $5500. Needs to be at $7500 by January 1. On track. Throw $500/month in there. Will pay off in January. Like earning the interest in the meantime.

Third bucket is "military retirment " with a 3 year goal of $75k. Currently at $15000. Plan is to put $2000/month in here. Should be at $25k by December.

Fourth bucket is "vacations." Currently at $3000. I throw money in here after I've put the required amounts into the other two more important buckets. Primary goal is $10k, but will keep putting money in there once we reach that. Eyeing Aulani for Spring Break next year!

Last bucket is "core savings" currently around $400. This is where our interest goes and any extra random money. We already keep an extra $1000 in our checking for emergencies, so this is just money meant to replenish that when we have to use it.

In general, we have been able to save $3000/month since Jan. We also got the stimulus check and will likely get another one based on the news today. So, maybe another $3400 coming soon?

At this point, my goal is to keep on with the savings rate and beef up the vacation fund as much as we can so that when we can FINALLY travel we can do so fully funded in advance.

We have never had this much money in liquid savings before. It feels so great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter