Debt Dumpers 2021

After the city house sells, the country house need some work. I already had to replace the roof, garbage disposal, and the dryer in late 2020. Once I have sale proceeds from city house:
goal #1 for country house: Remodel master bathroom to add a bathtub and update (new sinks/countertop, new mirror, new lighting, remove wallpaper, maybe add some better insulation, maybe add vanity/seat).
goal #2 for country house: New flooring throughout.
goal #3 for country house: Power wash porch and sealant on the porch Found someone to do this, but not started yet.
goal #4 for country house: Paint where roofers removed gutters and replaced some rotted boards. Maybe repaint all of the wood exterior, I’d kind of like a different color.
New goal #5 for country house—build enclosed fence in the backyard with a ramp from the back porch for the dogs.✅

not sure the extent of 'country' your country house is but if it's kind of remote and esp. if it operates on well water i'll offer up 2 upgrades we've done to ours that are worth every freaking penny-

1/ install a generator that's tied into the electrical system (so no having to drag it out/fill with gas/pick and choose what to get power to...). it's esp. great during the winter if you live in an area that freezes and you have a well b/c that way if the power goes out your well pump is still running so you don't run the risk of frozen and burst pipes.

2/(again if you have a well) install a good quality well filtration system. nothings worse than having your well pull a big chunk of dirt that then gets into your washer/dishwasher lines and can ruin them. we popped for one that includes a water softener so that we can extend the lives of our appliances.

not sure the extent of 'country' your country house is but if it's kind of remote and esp. if it operates on well water i'll offer up 2 upgrades we've done to ours that are worth every freaking penny-

1/ install a generator that's tied into the electrical system (so no having to drag it out/fill with gas/pick and choose what to get power to...). it's esp. great during the winter if you live in an area that freezes and you have a well b/c that way if the power goes out your well pump is still running so you don't run the risk of frozen and burst pipes.

2/(again if you have a well) install a good quality well filtration system. nothings worse than having your well pull a big chunk of dirt that then gets into your washer/dishwasher lines and can ruin them. we popped for one that includes a water softener so that we can extend the lives of our appliances.

OMG I would so love a whole house generator. We don't have well water but our power goes out very frequently, almost every t-storm. We have old-fashioned power lines along telephone poles everywhere plus a lot of huge trees. Not a good combination. One storm, I passed 4 downed trees on my way home from the train station which is less than 3 miles drive. My friend's brother works for our electric/gas company and has one which he installed himself and says he loves it. I noticed a neighbor a few blocks over recently got one too. That sounds positively dreamy to be able to keep running everything (including heat or AC) and not deal with extension cords dragged all over the house.

My dad's shore house has the well water filtration/softener system. It keeps the sinks and toilets from turning colors due to all the iron/minerals in the water but it's torture to try to rinse the soap or shampoo from your body. Does yours do that too?

OMG I would so love a whole house generator. We don't have well water but our power goes out very frequently, almost every t-storm. We have old-fashioned power lines along telephone poles everywhere plus a lot of huge trees. Not a good combination. One storm, I passed 4 downed trees on my way home from the train station which is less than 3 miles drive. My friend's brother works for our electric/gas company and has one which he installed himself and says he loves it. I noticed a neighbor a few blocks over recently got one too. That sounds positively dreamy to be able to keep running everything (including heat or AC) and not deal with extension cords dragged all over the house.

My dad's shore house has the well water filtration/softener system. It keeps the sinks and toilets from turning colors due to all the iron/minerals in the water but it's torture to try to rinse the soap or shampoo from your body. Does yours do that too?

i was initially very much against getting the water softener. my only experiences with them dated back to the 70's when i would stay with friends who lived in the country and back then it seemed like the water left you feeling slimy. clothes and towels laundered with soft water also seemed limp and oddly textured. i was assured by friends who had the more recent technology along with the company we were talking to that the systems had come a long way. they definitely have. 'yes' you do have to deal with the soap/shampoo issue but we've found that it's largely been a matter of drastically cutting back on the amount we use because it bubbles up so much. i'm loving the system though-the mineral deposits are largely non existent and i find that my sink, tub, shower and washing machine rinse themselves out so much better.

i totaly get the power line issue-in our area there's so much rock that underground power lines are not an option. thankfully we have a not for profit power cooperative that is dedicated to taking preventative action to protect the above ground lines but where we run into issues is with the other adjacent power companies-they aren't as proactive so a storm hits, trees in their area go down and take out the grid which impacts us.

i was initially very much against getting the water softener. my only experiences with them dated back to the 70's when i would stay with friends who lived in the country and back then it seemed like the water left you feeling slimy. clothes and towels laundered with soft water also seemed limp and oddly textured. i was assured by friends who had the more recent technology along with the company we were talking to that the systems had come a long way. they definitely have. 'yes' you do have to deal with the soap/shampoo issue but we've found that it's largely been a matter of drastically cutting back on the amount we use because it bubbles up so much. i'm loving the system though-the mineral deposits are largely non existent and i find that my sink, tub, shower and washing machine rinse themselves out so much better.

i totaly get the power line issue-in our area there's so much rock that underground power lines are not an option. thankfully we have a not for profit power cooperative that is dedicated to taking preventative action to protect the above ground lines but where we run into issues is with the other adjacent power companies-they aren't as proactive so a storm hits, trees in their area go down and take out the grid which impacts us.

Their house with the well was built in the mid-80s so it's good to know things have improved on that end. It is delicious water though. No weird floaties or tap water taste and always ice cold.

Thanks for the ideas. I actually have water lines from the town. We grew up with well water, but about 20 years ago the wells on my dad’s and grandpa’s places were failing and my grandfather paid a fortune and got the municipal water system to run lines to our “country” houses.

The generator tied to the electric system is a good idea. We survived the Texas Snomaggedon and below zero temps in February with individual generators—thankfully no frozen pipes.The power was out for 54 hours straight. However, it was hard to get fuel because they had no power for the pumps, and we were still cold because as you said, we had to choose what to run lines to. I am going to see what it would take to get a generator tied to my electrical system—I never want to be that cold for that long again!

Checking in...
Next Friday we'll have paid off all the truck repair $ we borrowed from savings. If all goes according to plan, I'll be able to send $500 to the mortgage.

I'd love to do a beach trip to FL but all the hotels we like are ridiculous. I could probably find something cheaper but we are pretty spoiled these days when it comes to accommodations. I'm fine with waiting until fall when prices are around half of what they are now.

@ruadisneyfan2 Where do you like to go for Florida Beach vacations? I know that you like Siesta Key (we do, too)! Are there some other towns or beaches that you like to visit down there?

@ruadisneyfan2 Where do you like to go for Florida Beach vacations? I know that you like Siesta Key (we do, too)! Are there some other towns or beaches that you like to visit down there?

In the past we have also stayed at the Pelican Grand Beach Resort in Ft. Lauderdale. I think we paid around $250/nt around 2-3 years ago. Now it’s over $500/nt.
I don’t mind spending a good chunk on nice hotels but I don't like the feeling of being gouged.
Most of our other FL hotel stays have either been WDW-related or pre-cruise.
In SK we stayed at tropicalbreeze.com. It’s not luxurious but it is a short walk to either the ocean or SK village.

Thanks for the ideas. I actually have water lines from the town. We grew up with well water, but about 20 years ago the wells on my dad’s and grandpa’s places were failing and my grandfather paid a fortune and got the municipal water system to run lines to our “country” houses.

The generator tied to the electric system is a good idea. We survived the Texas Snomaggedon and below zero temps in February with individual generators—thankfully no frozen pipes.The power was out for 54 hours straight. However, it was hard to get fuel because they had no power for the pumps, and we were still cold because as you said, we had to choose what to run lines to. I am going to see what it would take to get a generator tied to my electrical system—I never want to be that cold for that long again!

as far as fuel goes-ours runs off propane which is also what our fireplace and stove run off so when we had the generator put in we upped the size of the tank from 500 to 1000 gallons. i get the tank topped off about twice a year just in case (and time it when propane is at a lower demand so the prices are lower).

What do you do when you sent your husband into the grocery store to buy 5 russet potatoes costing $4 and he comes out with almost $30 worth of stuff? :sad2: I thought my very specific instructions coupled with the knowledge that we were trying to be careful this month with our grocery budget would have been enough. I guess I just can't send him in alone.

What do you do when you sent your husband into the grocery store to buy 5 russet potatoes costing $4 and he comes out with almost $30 worth of stuff? :sad2: I thought my very specific instructions coupled with the knowledge that we were trying to be careful this month with our grocery budget would have been enough. I guess I just can't send him in alone.

:confused: Sorry, you will probably not like my answer.

Honestly, if he did indeed come home with the potatoes, I'd thank him for the help. Taking 2 babies into a grocery store is PITA. Are the extra items things you could use? or worthless crap that should be returned?

I can't stand how my husband loads the dishwasher. It makes no sense how he chooses to arrange things and he is rough with the dishes which occasionally causes them to chip or break a glass. Still I am thankful that he cooks and does the dishes too. When I consider that the worst-case scenario is that the dishwasher might have an item that does not come completely clean, I can let that go. If I put him down about the way he does everything, he will stop doing it. Then the alternative is me doing everything.
Instead, he keeps helping me, and wanting to help me more, despite not being perfect.

:confused: Sorry, you will probably not like my answer.

Honestly, if he did indeed come home with the potatoes, I'd thank him for the help. Taking 2 babies into a grocery store is PITA. Are the extra items things you could use? or worthless crap that should be returned?

I can't stand how my husband loads the dishwasher. It makes no sense how he chooses to arrange things and he is rough with the dishes which occasionally causes them to chip or break a glass. Still I am thankful that he cooks and does the dishes too. When I consider that the worst-case scenario is that the dishwasher might have an item that does not come completely clean, I can let that go. If I put him down about the way he does everything, he will stop doing it. Then the alternative is me doing everything.
Instead, he keeps helping me, and wanting to help me more, despite not being perfect.

We do grocery pickups on Tuesday morning after we drop off the kids at daycare. They didn't have the 10 lb. bag of russet potatoes that we put in the order, so I sent him in to retrieve some from the loose potatoes section. He came out with sushi (for me), 4 lb. of yucca root, and corn on the cob. Not junk per se, but we had already planned out our meals for the week. Yucca root and corn on the cob don't really go with any of the meals, so I am thinking that I am going to swap meals around now to make those things work and just live with it.

My husband also does a bad job loading the dishwasher. I never had a broken or chipped dish in my life until he moved in. We decided a long time ago that I would load and he would unload. It has worked well and there is no resentment around it at all. I have found it best to have specific jobs assigned. Then I nag much less because he knows what he needs to do. Otherwise, he would just wait for me to tell him to do something rather than taking the initiative to do it, even when he saw that something needed to be done.

I have to echo @ruadisneyfan2 because I had to let go of certain things. My hubby sees the fun and adventure in things, even when we were on a strict budget. Mind you, that's part of the reason why I'm on this board. But now that we're on the same budget page, he still buys things not on my list. Yesterday, it was lavender epsom salts because I'm going through a massive family issue. And chips because he knows I like them. And ice cream, to entice our kiddos to enjoy yesterday evening on the back porch with us. I've been married over 27 years and it took me a long time to be okay with this, but I understand now it is the way he thinks he can help and is loving doing so.

If you can return some items you don't need, then do that. If you can incorporate them into meals, make a big stink out of it. Maybe he saw you were tired/stressed/etc. and thought he was helping. :lovestruc

I have to echo @ruadisneyfan2 because I had to let go of certain things. My hubby sees the fun and adventure in things, even when we were on a strict budget. Mind you, that's part of the reason why I'm on this board. But now that we're on the same budget page, he still buys things not on my list. Yesterday, it was lavender epsom salts because I'm going through a massive family issue. And chips because he knows I like them. And ice cream, to entice our kiddos to enjoy yesterday evening on the back porch with us. I've been married over 27 years and it took me a long time to be okay with this, but I understand now it is the way he thinks he can help and is loving doing so.

If you can return some items you don't need, then do that. If you can incorporate them into meals, make a big stink out of it. Maybe he saw you were tired/stressed/etc. and thought he was helping. :lovestruc

He made yucca root last week after not having it in a while and I did mention that I enjoyed it a lot, so I am sure he was thinking about me when he bought it.

I feel your pain. I sent my DH into the store a couple weeks ago to get a container of Bob Evans Mashed Potatoes. He did just get the potatoes, but couldn't be bothered to scan his Kroger card or put in his phone number and so he paid .50 more for them that necessary. I know it's only .50, but all he had to do was type in our phone number into the machine and he could have saved it.

We dry our clothes on an airer indoors as we have limited outside space. I have a very specific way of putting things out on it to make it easier to unload in a way that makes putting away easier. My beloved puts things on any old how and takes off in order, finding like things wherever they may be. I am pleased that we share these small domestic tasks - but it does annoy me if I find I am doing the taking off when he has done the putting on.

He does most of the washing of the dishes (we don't have a dishwasher) but every now and then it is more convenient for me to do it. If he happens to be around while I am he is visibly stressed by it but understands that I am doing it to save him a job.

It is odd how we all have little quirks that those around us have to learn to get used to.

But I agree - spending any money in an unplanned way when you are on a tight budget can be frustrating!

@ruadisneyfan2
"In the past we have also stayed at the Pelican Grand Beach Resort in Ft. Lauderdale. I think we paid around $250/nt around 2-3 years ago. Now it’s over $500/nt.
I don’t mind spending a good chunk on nice hotels but I don't like the feeling of being gouged.
Most of our other FL hotel stays have either been WDW-related or pre-cruise.
In SK we stayed at tropicalbreeze.com. It’s not luxurious but it is a short walk to either the ocean or SK village."

Thanks for that info! I checked on the Pelican Grand the other day just to see what it was like after your message and that day, anyway, a room was going to for $849.00!! Holy crappola. No and no.

In Siesta we stayed at a very nice condo in a resort called Siesta Dunes and really loved it. We went in July so it is not the highest season nor highest cost for them. It is right on Crescent Beach and is just beautiful. Highly recommend. We stayed in Building 3, unit 306 or 307--can't remember without looking at them.

keep a small supply of cash on hand. tell him that for in between grocery trips you are using cash only to stay on track with your budget. if he's going for something that shouldn't cost more than $4 hand him a $5 and tell him to keep the receipt for you so you can track it for the budget.

May 11
My financial goals are:
  • Buy a house.
I know the one I want, just need about 4 2 2 2 more months saving for the down payment
Fingers crossed it will still be on the market come April. Almost lost it, it was listed as "Pending Sale" for 6 weeks, but the realtor called yesterday and the buyers backed out last minute, so fingers crossed. Ok, heard back from my mortgage broker that I am qualified for the loan, and they have started processing, but that is the last I heard 2 days ago. Finally heard from the mortgage broker. Got my pre-qualification letter, so that is official. Now to start the negotiation process on the house. Definitely missed the target closing date.
Ideally, would like to close mid-May, so that I can use the last 2 weeks of May to move.
  • Sell my old house.
Preferably before I buy my new house, but honestly just as long as it sells. Talked to the people currently planning to buy. They are still planning to buy, but the time-table to purchase has been thrown off due to COVID and they are not sure when they will be able to close.
:sad1:
Still no news from the renters on when they are going to buy my house. They just have to buy before July 1.
Still no news on when they are going to purchase. But, the insurance went down by $1000 for the next year, so that will help.
  • Increase my savings by at least $5000 (above the down payment) Up by $800 $1000 $1700 (RRFCU Dec $500, Jan $100, Feb $100, March $100, April $100 FB&T Jan $100, $100, $500 )
  • Pay off my last credit card Starting balance $11453.12 Current balance $9067.82 $7525.94 Small set back $7982.29, but I’ll get my retention bonus this paycheck, so should be able to make double payment this month.
Personal goals:
  • Lose 50 pounds. This is more of a dream than a goal. Not sure how I'll manage this, but it is an interim goal. No change No change No Change
  • Take at least 2 cash vacations this year. 1 mini vacation down
  • Get the VA to approve my shoulder for disability (and backpay) <-- this is big Still working on this No change Was notified that I have physicals in the next couple of weeks. Woo-hoo.
  • Get the VA to approve the other remaining items I've filed for Still working on this No change See previous statement
  • Find a life partner (without having to use duct-tape) Still looking Change, I’ve moved backwards. :-( I’d been talking to someone for a while, and we’ve decided to just be friends instead. Turns out long distance relationships are more difficult than ever, especially in a pandemic. We have patched up our relationship, and are going to try to continue it, the problem was just a rough patch and some rough days for the both of us, and some miscommunication. Fingers crossed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter