Decided on Palazzo-need help with car rental?

yupikgal

DIS Veteran
My husband and I decided to stay at the Palazzo since there's just the 2 of us. We will be driving from Anaheim (Disney) and will need a one day car rental that allows o/w drop offs. Right now I have Alamo booked via Costco because they gave a decent rate and we have a GPS included.

The thing is, they want us to drop it off at the airport. I've been looking into how we would do this. We have to drop it off at the car rental area of the airport, take a shuttle back to the departure terminal, then apparently to catch a shuttle to the strip we have to take another shuttle in another terminal. Has anyone done this, and if so, how hard would this be? We will each have a decent sized suitcase + I'll have a 21 inch carry on and a large bag. Is this too much shuttling around for us, should we just book through Avis-they have a garage that we can return the car to if we went through them, but it would mean paying about $40 more overall. Worth it to save the hassle?

The car rental is not at the airport. You drive to the place to drop off the car" there are plenty of shuttles to take you to the airport. They will show which shuttle to get on. They have porters out front to help you. Enjoy vegas!

Thanks I just don't want to be hassled with moving from place to place with our luggage in tow. I'm still considering doing the Avis deal where we can just return it directly to the hotel garage. It may be worth the extra $$

OP don't forget to add in the cost of the shuttle from the airport to your hotel (unless it's included in some package) when making the decision. For me unless it is a big difference I would go with Avis.
Not to mention fees at the airport. On a trip last year to San Diego &Huntington Beach we saved about $100 by renting from Hertz picking up at the Hotel Del then dropping off at the Hyatt San Diego after coming back from HB. The daily rate was the same as renting at the airport but the taxes/fees were a lot less.

DW and I go to Vegas at least once a year. I have a few quick questions.

How long will you be renting the car for? I know most rental car companies will charge you for a full day (24 hours) even if you're only using the car part of the day. If you can, I would keep the car for the full day.

Will you be flying home from Las Vegas? If so, how do you plan to get to the airport? Shuttle? Taxi? Friends/relatives dropping you off?

How long are you staying for? At least 2 nights?

Here's what I would do given I was flying home from Vegas.

Since more than likely you are going to be charged for a full day, I would take advantage of the rental car while I have it. Use it to my benefit. It is approximately a 4 hour drive to Vegas from Anaheim. You mentioned you each have a decent sized suitcase. Once I get into Vegas, I would drive straight to the Supermarket to buy sodas, water and beer (wine and/or hard liquor if that's more your speed). Yes, I know you can get them for free if you're playing, but DW and I don't always play. Therefore we like to have these things on hand. Nice to have in your room as well.

Anyways, after I would drive straight to the Palazzo and use the bell hop services to drop off your luggage and anything you just bought from the store. They will hold it for you until you check in to your room. This way, if you wanted to return the car right after, you could; and you don't have to worry about hauling your luggage onto the airport and hotel shuttles. I personally would continue using the car for the night and use it to travel around the city. Return it in the morning.

As someone previously mentioned, the rental car return is not at the actual airport; but in a facility close by. If you opt to return the car right away, you drive to the facility and return the car. From there you will need to catch a shuttle back to the airport. Shuttles back to the airport are free. Now the rental car shuttles drop you off in the middle median. From here, you could just cross the street to the side where you would catch the hotel shuttles. You don't have ride another within the terminal to get here as you thought.

You will have to pay for the hotel shuttles. If you are flying home from Las Vegas, then I would just pay for round-trip service right away. With the $40 you were going to use to go with Avis, I would use that towards the shuttles.

Personally, I would extend the rental car for the amount of days I would also be in Vegas. Especially if I wasn't be charged a drop off fee. Again, that's just me though.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter