Dentist

disneychrista

DIS Veteran
How much time does your actual dentist spend with you when you have an exam?

My dentist spends like 10 minutes max. He looks at the x-rays (taken by the assistant) and has the assistant note anything he sees. He then does a quick visual exam. He barely says anything to me, other than hi.

I do really like the hygienist. So that is plus.

Last edited:
It depends.
My Dental office has two Dentists, a husband and a wife.

I see Dr. Mrs Dentist. She does the x-rays, cleaning and the exam, so she spends the entire appointment with me.

When I have had the hygienist do the cleaning. Dr. Mr. Dentist came in for about 5 minutes to examine your teeth and x-rays.

Dr. Mr. Dentist spends most of his time doing fillings, bridges and crowns.

I noticed this at the veterinarian’s the other day, too. Tech took the whole history. Vet came in and just said what treatment was going to be. When did this start?

Reactions: shh
It sounds like we have the same dentist….
The hygienist does most of the work

I swear my dentist checks things out in less than your ten minute time period…..

I noticed this at the veterinarian’s the other day, too. Tech took the whole history. Vet came in and just said what treatment was going to be. When did this start?
Our dentist spends about 10-15 minutes with each of us after going over our x-rays and any notes made by the hygienist. Sometimes he spends more time if we're talking about movies or Disney -- he loves both. He also sees my parents, so he might mention any concerns so that I can follow up with them. If we have any questions later, we can call or email, and he will get back to us.

Our vet also spends about 30 minutes with each cat (less time if there really aren't any issues to go over). The tech does take down all the necessary details and check weight, temp, and note any concerns. The vet also calls back to follow up and/or to go over any lab results. And we can email the vet, too, with anything we forgot about earlier.

We have a few doctors that spend a lot of time with us at each appointment. But we also have a few doctors (and this certainly does seem to be the current trend) who spend less and less time with us. For those doctors, we have all our questions ready to go and get to know the nurses/techs.

Last edited:
This is a trend in many aspects of care, as you have noticed. My dentist, who I really like, is having trouble replacing his hygienists who have retired. So he has sometimes had to do the cleanings. But in general he comes in after the cleanings to check over things. His expertise is in treating problems. I was in last week and he made and put on a temp crown. Today he will put in the permanent crown. He spends his time on those things.

Yes my vets used to do all of the care of my pets, but now techs do the weight and talk about any issues we are having. The vet still spends a good amount of time with my kitty.

My doctor has a medical assistant that goes all the vitals and makes notes. Then the doctor comes in and quickly goes over things unless I am having problems. Then he will spend more time coming up with a plan. I do feel like he rushes when the visit is just routine.

The few dentists I have been to over the years it has been where the dental assistant does the cleaning and takes the x-rays if any were needed and the dentist comes in at the end to look at a few things including x-rays and might chit chat a few moments.

Maybe 5 minutes - comes in, introduces himself and same routine as above. Looks at the x-rays, asks if I have any complaints. He does a thorough check of my mouth. I don't think it takes more than 5 minutes or so.

If there are any issues, then an appointment is made for filling, etc.

Reactions: shh
The few dentists I have been to over the years it has been where the dental assistant does the cleaning and takes the x-rays if any were needed and the dentist comes in at the end to look at a few things including x-rays and might chit chat a few moments.
This.

I am getting a crown. The dentist did the majority of the prep for the temporary crown and will do the crown on the 13th.

I hardly knew my dentist before needing the crown.

At the crown visits (2- evaluationand placing the temp crown) I could tell he was quite busy with procedures like this.

Hygienist does X-Ray and cleaning.
Dentist comes in after that to do a fast teeth check. He goes over any problems or needs and chats for a bit

If I'm just there for my cleaning, she spends about 5 or so minutes with me. The hygienist does all the work. If I'm there for a filling, she spends more time because she is the one who does the drilling of the tooth.

How much time does your actual dentist spend with you when you have an exam?

My dentist spends like 10 minutes max. He looks at the x-rays (taken by the assistant) and has the assistant note anything he sees. He then does a quick visual exam. He barely says anything to me, other than hi.

I do really like the hygienist. So that is plus.
Pretty much the same pattern. Most of my regular 6-month appointment is with the hygienist (who I have seen for almost 20 years and love chatting with). She does x-rays once a year, and cleaning every appointment.

Then the dentist comes in at the end, just like you said. He looks at the x-rays and directly at my teeth, also asking the hygienist if there are any issues she's noticed, and me if I have any concerns, and has her note things in the file. He carefully explains any follow-up that he thinks might be needed. If so, those appointments are fully with him.

Maybe 5 minutes - comes in, introduces himself and same routine as above. Looks at the x-rays, asks if I have any complaints. He does a thorough check of my mouth. I don't think it takes more than 5 minutes or so.

If there are any issues, then an appointment is made for filling, etc.
This is the same as my experience for my annual exam. Maybe 5 minutes-- quick look and a few questions. If there's an issue or concern, they will take a few more minutes to discuss it with you.

This has always been the norm with dental appointments that I have been to over the years for me and my children. I haven't noticed any recent changes.

I see the hygienist every 3 months. The hygienist cleans teeth and does x-rays.
Every other visit, the dentist pops by for a quick check. Maybe 5 minutes.

I go at least 2x a year and only see the actual dentist if there is a problem. After X-rays he will pop in for a few minutes. I was just there 2 days ago and didn’t see him at all. I do really like the hygienist though.

The dentist pops in for maybe 2 minutes at the end. He pokes a couple teeth, tells me I have "good home care" and leaves. The hygienist does everything and just points out anything interesting to the dentist. I haven't had any issues in years, so there's not much he needs to check on.

When I first started going to this dentist (about 25 years ago) he didn't even have any hygienists and did everything himself.

My dentist usually spends about 20-25 minutes, doing the cleaning. The hygenist is also there to assist. She does the x-rays when needed. I really enjoy seeing my dentist, he is so friendly and likes to chat, which can sometimes get annoying when your mouth is wide open, lol. Even though my family only sees him twice a year, it seems like we are catching up with an old friend.

The dentist pops in for maybe 2 minutes at the end. He pokes a couple teeth, tells me I have "good home care" and leaves. The hygienist does everything and just points out anything interesting to the dentist. I haven't had any issues in years, so there's not much he needs to check on.

When I first started going to this dentist (about 25 years ago) he didn't even have any hygienists and did everything himself.
i did have a dentist years ago who did his own cleaning. Now the hygienist does all the cleaning, dentist pokes around a little. I like the dentist, I'm sure she is busy with actual procedures, I haven't had a cavity in years.

I only go every 9 months because they tell me how clean my teeth are (good genes and mouth chemistry I think, plus I don't eat a lot of junk). My poor DH has had crowns, extractions, implants, and we have no dental insurance.

Guess it is normal then. I went a long time without a regular dentist. Growing up I remember always seeing the dentist for everything, cleanings, exams and any other work.

We’ve been with our dentists for 25 years, hygienist does the cleaning and X-rays, dentist pops in for 10 minutes. However, fir fillings and such, dentist does all of the work and the hygienist assists. I’ve gone to the dentist every 6 months since the age of 3, it’s the hygienist’s job to do the cleaning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter