Dentist

Finding a new dentist is a pain... but the dentist I found is nice enough, but this particular office really pushes "sleep study" drives me nuts. Had to tell the dentist to put on my chart "no sleep study" But they spend about 5 min checking after the hygienist cleans and waterpicks.. .yuck.

Guess it is normal then. I went a long time without a regular dentist. Growing up I remember always seeing the dentist for everything, cleanings, exams and any other work.
I think that was more the norm in the 70’s/80’s. My dentist had an assistant. She stood by and handed him the tools. I’m not sure if she was considered a hygienist back then. But the dentist did all the cleanings

I remember my childhood dentist. He did everything. No dental assistant. His mother was his office staff. Nowadays, it's totally different. The assistant takes the xray, dentist comes in after reading it and does a quick exam and unless there is a cavity of another issues, off you go to the hygienist. However, a couple of months ago my crown came off. I called the dentist that my daughter just started seeing, Got me in right away. Saw the dentist. She did all the work putting the crown back on.

Finding a new dentist is a pain... but the dentist I found is nice enough, but this particular office really pushes "sleep study" drives me nuts. Had to tell the dentist to put on my chart "no sleep study"

Same experience here, not of some sleep study but trying to push various upcharges for things I don't want/need. Finally I firmly told the dental assistant one day I am not looking for reasons to spend more time in the dental chair. I think they got the point and stopped trying to upsell me since them. If they get too pushy with the upselling, I would just look for a new dentist.

Last edited:
I think it depends on each office, how big it is, # of dentists in the office. Some have a bunch of employees too - desk, billing, etc.

The dentist my DH goes to does everything - cleaning, X-rays, etc. His wife does the "office" part.

For sure, the tech does the vast majority of the routine work. The dentist eyeballs the x-rays, comes in to poke a tooth or two, and does the more advanced stuff like any drilling required, while the tech assists.

We’ve been with our dentists for 25 years, hygienist does the cleaning and X-rays, dentist pops in for 10 minutes. However, fir fillings and such, dentist does all of the work and the hygienist assists. I’ve gone to the dentist every 6 months since the age of 3, it’s the hygienist’s job to do the cleaning.
This is exactly my experience. I am 53 and even as a kid the hygienist did the cleaning and the dentist “checked” afterwards. I didn’t really need anything as a kid, but as I got older the dentist did any fillings etc.

Like most others - maybe 5 minutes or so for a routine cleaning. We’ve been going to him for like 25-30 years, so he usually knows what to look for.

I get a cleaning done every 4 months. (I had chemo 11 years ago and it did a number on my teeth. Things are much better since I started going every 4 months three years ago.) Dentist comes in at the end, on every other visit if there is no apparent problem. if there is an issue or if I want to see the Dentist for some reason, he will come in regardless.
I love all 3 dentists in the practice, but I have no desire to see them when I go in for a cleaning. Given the choice of seeing them or getting out of the chair and heading out, I just want to go!
If I need a filling or any work done the dentist does it.

At most doctor's/dentist/etc. my impression is you typically get someone other then the doctor for routine things. If you were having a tooth pulled, the doctor does the actual work, other lesser things is usually some sort of assistant. I don't care which exact job title someone has as long as they have the necessary trainig/background/credentials to do whatever the procedure is. In the medical world it seems like most have more patients then in the past (for any number of reasons) so this is one way to spread around the workload.

Our dentist spends about 10-15 minutes with each of us after going over our x-rays and any notes made by the hygienist. Sometimes he spends more time if we're talking about movies or Disney -- he loves both. He also sees my parents, so he might mention any concerns so that I can follow up with them. If we have any questions later, we can call or email, and he will get back to us.
The bolded jumped out at me. Just curious, are your parents pretty elderly? Do they like the dentist going over their dental issues with you at your appointment? I am guessing that both they and you like that arrangement? You don't have to answer, I was just curious, as something similar caused a big issue for me.

My Mom and I had the same PCP for years. Although, I really liked her and thought that she was an EXCELLENT Dr., I finally had to find a new Dr. and leave the practice. Everytime I went to the Dr. she would spend part of my appt. talking about my Mom. (My Mom was 64-69 during this, so certainly young enough to care for herself) I was super uncomfortable and didnt feel she had any right to be discussing my Moms health with me at my own medical appt. In turn the Dr. would also talk about me to my Mom!! UGH!!

Maybe 10 minutes. Some of that is chatting, however, because I know him outside of the office too.

I think that was more the norm in the 70’s/80’s. My dentist had an assistant. She stood by and handed him the tools. I’m not sure if she was considered a hygienist back then. But the dentist did all the cleanings
That is the way I remember it too.

At this office there seems to be hygienists that do the cleaning and assistants that do x-rays, takes notes during an exam and assists during any dental procedures.

The bolded jumped out at me. Just curious, are your parents pretty elderly? Do they like the dentist going over their dental issues with you at your appointment? I am guessing that both they and you like that arrangement? You don't have to answer, I was just curious, as something similar caused a big issue for me.

My Mom and I had the same PCP for years. Although, I really liked her and thought that she was an EXCELLENT Dr., I finally had to find a new Dr. and leave the practice. Everytime I went to the Dr. she would spend part of my appt. talking about my Mom. (My Mom was 64-69 during this, so certainly young enough to care for herself) I was super uncomfortable and didnt feel she had any right to be discussing my Moms health with me at my own medical appt. In turn the Dr. would also talk about me to my Mom!! UGH!!
No worries, everyone involved is fine with it. :)

On a recent visit, I think the dentist was in the room less than 60 seconds..

Reactions: shh
How much time does your actual dentist spend with you when you have an exam?

My dentist spends like 10 minutes max. He looks at the x-rays (taken by the assistant) and has the assistant note anything he sees. He then does a quick visual exam. He barely says anything to me, other than hi.

I do really like the hygienist. So that is plus.
Mine spends about 10 minutes with me for a cleaning, but when I got my crowns he spent a lot of time with me. He’s always very friendly and talks with me a decent amount. When I referred my DH and DD19 to start going to him he thanked me more than once, which I thought was very nice of him.

ETA….his dental hygienist are awesome. He must have a good work environment, because everyone always seems happy to be there and goes out of their way to make patients happy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter