DH raided HD for paint cans! See post 15 for photo

I need to make a template and be done... Let me know what your measurements are and I'll fix mine! ;) I've been doing it by sight.. Duh! "Nancy MOMENT"

1 gallon empty paint can (try a local hardware store)

Paper 1 - 3 pieced of coordinating paper

adhesive tape

Embellishments as desired: stickers, buttons, ribbon, fibre, etc.

Step 1:

Instructions for Single patterned altered can: Cut two pieces of paper measuring 10 ½ “ long by 7 3/8 wide.

Instructions for decorating with two different patterned paper: Cut two pieces of paper approximately 10 ½ by 3 ½ and two pieces approximately 10 ½ by 4 ½”. You can play with the widths here, provided the end result is two sides measuring 10 ½ “ long by 7 3/8 wide. Where the papers overlap you can cover the seam with ribbon, tear, chalk, ink or leave as is.

Step 2:

Measure 1” from the top (length) of the paper and mark this location at each end of each piece of paper – this is the TOP of the hole. Use a circle punch, approx. 1” to cut out a half circle at the places marked. See diagram.

paintcan.gif

BernardandMissBianca said:

adhesive tape

Step 1:

Instructions for Single patterned altered can: Cut two pieces of paper measuring 10 ½ “ long by 7 3/8 wide.

Instructions for decorating with two different patterned paper: Cut two pieces of paper approximately 10 ½ by 3 ½ and two pieces approximately 10 ½ by 4 ½”. You can play with the widths here, provided the end result is two sides measuring 10 ½ “ long by 7 3/8 wide. Where the papers overlap you can cover the seam with ribbon, tear, chalk, ink or leave as is.

Step 2:

Measure 1” from the top (length) of the paper and mark this location at each end of each piece of paper – this is the TOP of the hole. Use a circle punch, approx. 1” to cut out a half circle at the places marked. See diagram.

paintcan.gif

What diagram? I can't see the link... Although it is there when I quote you. Very strange. A bit of cut and paste..

Believe it or not, but the diagram is now there. I guess my computer needed to take a nap to show such a technical drawing. :rotfl:

BernardandMissBianca said:

adhesive tape

Step 1:

Step 2:

paintcan.gif
PERFECT!!!
Those were my measurements last night.. minus the 1" circle... Yeah!!! Thanks! Now, I have to mark my circles!!!
THANKS!!!

Thanks guys for the pattern! I am going to go CAN CRAZY!!!! :crazy:

Course I will have to have help to post pics, cause I don't know how :badpc:

LOL!!!!

Thank you for the templete for the big can. I've only made the little ones so far. This will make my first attempt at gallon size much more, well, perfect. ;)

Question... How do you attach the paper to the metal cans? I am just clueless as to how this works, but have some great ideas on how to decorate some gift cans. Thanks for the pattern!

ddavis860 said:
Question... How do you attach the paper to the metal cans? I am just clueless as to how this works, but have some great ideas on how to decorate some gift cans. Thanks for the pattern!
I used double stick photo tape or squares and they have been sticking perfectly!!! :) I even had one sitting by the heater vent..and no issues!! :)

So I think I'm going to do this too. I usually give my coworkers gift cards and the quart size would be perfect to tuck them in with some candy. Now that my Christmas cards are officially mailed (Yay, me!) I have some time.

Why is the hardest part getting the barcode off the bottom? I tried Undu and made an even bigger mess. I think I'll end up covering the bottom too even though I didn't originally plan on it.

I'm going to try to do this without buying any new paper but I'm all out of 3 different kinds of adhesive so it'll be a challenge for me to go the store for those and skip the paper aisle. Do you think I can do it? ;)

I know you can do it! Think postive. Just think - the money you save can be used on your next trip! :rolleyes1

Ugh about the barcodes.. My barcodes on the cans I have are on the can itself and imprinted on them...so they are easily covered.. (they were like stenciled on)..
Did you try soaking them w/ a washcloth?

I'm out of adhesive too.. I'll stop by on Sunday as we returned from basketball games! I refuse to go out tomorrow.. I want to finish my last few cans..and relax!! Next weekend DH and I are doing our shopping... Wish us luck!

You guys are so awesome! :banana: I had coffee mugs made for Taly's teachers and want to wrap them in a can!

Thank you for all of the instructions! :goodvibes

lewdyan1 said:
I had coffee mugs made for Taly's teachers and want to wrap them in a can!

That sentence just made me laugh out loud! :lmao:

I failed at my task - I went to AC Moore and I *had* to go into the paper aisle, because I realized I had one person that will need a gallon can and I needed two pieces of paper for that and all the holiday papers I have at home are singles, but I only got 6 sheets of paper total! (3 times what I actually NEEDED but still very conservative for me.) ;)

I tried just about everything to get that paper barcode off. I bought extra cans so I'm just going to cover the barcode or leave it because who will look at the bottom anyway. We'll see how it goes. I think this Tuesday will be my "Paint Can Day."

How big is the bar code? Could you put an address label over it cover it? You could print out "Made by **** Christmas 2006" on the label. Or split it into two labels if you need to cover that much.

If you have a Disney freak on your list, put hidden Mickeys in the paper you use to cover the bottom.

AlexWyattMommy said:
How big is the bar code? Could you put an address label over it cover it? You could print out "Made by **** Christmas 2006" on the label. Or split it into two labels if you need to cover that much.

If you have a Disney freak on your list, put hidden Mickeys in the paper you use to cover the bottom.

wow alexwyattmommy, very creative!!! i was trying to think of a way to get it off for new england eeyore, but i like your idea a lot better. i love the "made by" thing! very smart!!! i guess it's too early for me to have my brain cells working!!!!

PrincessNancy96 said:
I used double stick photo tape or squares and they have been sticking perfectly!!! :) I even had one sitting by the heater vent..and no issues!! :)

Hmmm, I'm still not getting it...do you stick the paper to the paper (overlap) or do you butt the paper edges and stick the tape on the can...or is it both... OK so I'm being really slow, but I just can't get my mind around this thing...

I am however sending DH to the store for cans...LOL...I know I'll get these done...with everyones help...I will right guys? Please....ummm...guys....!!!! :teeth:

You do both.. I stick the double stick tape around the underneath rim piece of the can.. than I add my first paper... than, I do the next side and then the paper to paper on the overlap I added the tape to one side and adhered them..... mine didn't butt together.. My first measurements for the length for 10 3/4 inches.. but I bet there is still a small overlap at 10.5 inches...

Does that make sense... I'm a visual learner...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter