DHS Construction update thread (Read Post 1) Updated 8/21/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Construction walls up from WDW Radio Studio to the restrooms across from Jedi training. They are blocking off the cutthrough from comisary lane to that backlot area.

So .. this construction wallls plus the all the closings in that area (Pizza Planet, Meet and Greets, Osbourne Lights) means construction will be happening in the Muppets area soon . but will it be just for Star Tours or a expanded "Muppet land"?
Even though the show isn't doing well muppets still has its appeal. Puppets appeal to kids .. my son (not ever seeing anything muppets besides some Disney channel promos) really enjoyed Muppets 3D .. it was silly, goofy, funny ..

I appreciate the current show just because I just like the personalities of the characters in the show (I've known them for ages) .. it is very character driven .. but it helps A LOT if you know the personalities of the characters already .. it makes their comments/jokes funnier.

So .. this construction wallls plus the all the closings in that area (Pizza Planet, Meet and Greets, Osbourne Lights) means construction will be happening in the Muppets area soon . but will it be just for Star Tours or a expanded "Muppet land"?
Even though the show isn't doing well muppets still has its appeal. Puppets appeal to kids .. my son (not ever seeing anything muppets besides some Disney channel promos) really enjoyed Muppets 3D .. it was silly, goofy, funny ..

I appreciate the current show just because I just like the personalities of the characters in the show (I've known them for ages) .. it is very character driven .. but it helps A LOT if you know the personalities of the characters already .. it makes their comments/jokes funnier.
Waka Waka

Construction walls up from WDW Radio Studio to the restrooms across from Jedi training. They are blocking off the cutthrough from comisary lane to that backlot area.

Rumor is that this wall is for the construction of a new M&G area.

I personally would love them to make another park entrance which goes straight into Star Wars land from the parking lot if it's going to span behind there.

Everyone is talking this one as no-go for financial reasons, but truth be told it probably shouldn't happen for "Show" reasons. All Disney theme parks are about the show - and the entrance is an important part of that. I've mentioned this elsewhere - but the new concept of "Disney's Hollywood Adventure" to me says you will enter into the park through the "Hollywood" section, and from there will be transported "into the movies" in various lands: Toy Story Land, Star Wars Land, now maybe Muppet land. Entering directly into Star Wars Land would tonally not work at all.

(Note the one exception to this is the Grand Californian entrance to DCA - which breaks the idea of one entrance / one show. I give this a pass only because the lodge is themed to that section of the park - and the transition is a pretty clean one.)

Offering a straight in and straight out would defeat the whole purpose. Marketing 101 is to get you to have to go past all the other items before getting to the one you came for.

Another good point - it's no coincidence that they place the headliners at the farmost corners of the park typically.

I would suggest not getting too tied up on size...

It's not the size of it...it's how they use it.

Totally agree with this 14 acres is plenty of space for an awesome theme park experience.

Case in point fantasyland...which has the widest pathways I've ever seen and that silly out of place colonnade at the expansion entrance...
Basically they wasted space. Lots of fluff...unless you want to book a fastpass for asphalt (stayed tuned on that)

What are you talking about - you can already book FP+ for asphalt. I did this for the new MK Parade.

However - I don't think wider pathways is a bad idea. A lot of the reconstruction in MK lately has been about expanding the walkways (the Liberty Square / Fantasyland transition, the hub expansion, the Main Street bypass), the parks just weren't built for the crowds that they are seeing.

I was talking with someone who recently visited Disney Imagineering in California. Apparently, they have a whole area/building dedicated to Avatar/Pandora, but they don't have anything like that set up for Star Wars yet. I don't know if this bodes well for quick progress or a quality result. Maybe they were hiding it or maybe it's being done offsite, like Lucas:confused3 I got the impression that the CM was even saying there wasn't anything set up yet. I hope that's not true.

I don't buy this AT ALL. They might not have been shown it, but there's no way it doesn't exist...they've been working on this for 3 years already. It's all completely designed and somewhere in a room there's a full-scale model. Just because they show a cast member something that is nearing completion (Avatar) doesn't mean they're going to show them something that is mostly under wraps.

While I'm sure that it will appeal to children, I expect an area that will encompass some great attractions that will draw adults.

Actually - while I like to think that there will be some appeal there - I really do think that the concept art we've seen says this will be targeted firmly at the pre-tween set. The coaster I picture will be along the lines of the 7DMT - not quite a kiddie coaster, but something for just about anyone. I expect some sort of eatery as well, and certainly it will appeal to some adults, but not unlike Fantasyland does. My only wish is that they were adding at least one more kids ride, i think it's a missed opportunity to put in a new land like this and only add two rides.

I don't buy this AT ALL. They might not have been shown it, but there's no way it doesn't exist...they've been working on this for 3 years already. It's all completely designed and somewhere in a room there's a full-scale model. Just because they show a cast member something that is nearing completion (Avatar) doesn't mean they're going to show them something that is mostly under wraps.

That's my hope. However, I did get the impression that Star Wars isn't taking up as much space as Pandora, which I guess makes a lot of sense right now.

That's my hope. However, I did get the impression that Star Wars isn't taking up as much space as Pandora, which I guess makes a lot of sense right now.
Star Wars Land is supposed to be fourteen acres. Pandora is supposed to take up twelve acres.

Star Wars Land is supposed to be fourteen acres. Pandora is supposed to take up twelve acres.

It's not the amount of space; it's the timing. Pandora is actively being done and trying to finish. In my job, that means a lot more bodies, ie more office space for Pandora work. Whereas, Star Wars is really just starting and hasn't even started construction yet.

It's not the amount of space; it's the timing. Pandora is actively being done and trying to finish. In my job, that means a lot more bodies, ie more office space for Pandora work. Whereas, Star Wars is really just starting and hasn't even started construction yet.

There aren't even any permits for it yet, and barely anything for where Toy Story is going.

Everyone is talking this one as no-go for financial reasons, but truth be told it probably shouldn't happen for "Show" reasons. All Disney theme parks are about the show - and the entrance is an important part of that. I've mentioned this elsewhere - but the new concept of "Disney's Hollywood Adventure" to me says you will enter into the park through the "Hollywood" section, and from there will be transported "into the movies" in various lands: Toy Story Land, Star Wars Land, now maybe Muppet land. Entering directly into Star Wars Land would tonally not work at all.

(Note the one exception to this is the Grand Californian entrance to DCA - which breaks the idea of one entrance / one show. I give this a pass only because the lodge is themed to that section of the park - and the transition is a pretty clean one.)

Actually, of the 6 major Disney parks in the US, 4 have more then one way into the park. As you said, DCA had the Grand Californian Entrance, you can enter Disneyland via the Monorail from Downtown Disney, Epcot has the international Gateway, and Animal Kingdom has a second small entrance outside of Rainforest Café, although this one does dump you into the park pretty much in the same location as the main entrance.

My only wish is that they were adding at least one more kids ride, i think it's a missed opportunity to put in a new land like this and only add two rides.

Part of me wonders if these lands will have room for further expansion built into their unused space. Building a complete mini park today without places to insert new attractions largely prohibits future updates.

Part of me wonders if these lands will have room for further expansion built into their unused space. Building a complete mini park today without places to insert new attractions largely prohibits future updates.

I figure there must be a 500 page report which shows "conclusively" that 2 rides is the minimum number required to make a land satisfactory to the average visitor, thus retaining guests while minimizing costs.

Any time people present a plan with more rides that report is then thumped down on the table like it was the bible...

Actually, of the 6 major Disney parks in the US, 4 have more then one way into the park. As you said, DCA had the Grand Californian Entrance, you can enter Disneyland via the Monorail from Downtown Disney, Epcot has the international Gateway, and Animal Kingdom has a second small entrance outside of Rainforest Café, although this one does dump you into the park pretty much in the same location as the main entrance.

I thought of the Epcot International Gateway after I wrote this - which definitely is not with the "Show". It's clearly all about delivering guests from hotels.

I also thought of the monorail method of entering in Disneyland - an odd way to enter the park indeed - though I suppose entering via a ride in Tomorrowland is in with theme of Tomorrowland. It was originally built to transport guests from the Disneyland Hotel into the park - thus circumventing the all important entrance "show"

The Rainforest Cafe Entrance - while technically a different entrance - is dismissable in my view, because as you say it enters you in the same area as the main entrance, forcing you to walk through the oasis as the imagineers intended.

Even if we dismiss AK - your point overrides my point - 3 of 6 parks have alternate entrances, even Walt's fabled "original" park, but all were designed as hotel entrances. So I think we can poorly assume that if a second entrance to DHS is made, it's because they built a Star Wars hotel. (Although - tell me how much could they charge a night for a lousy room at a Star Wars hotel?? - They could build it slightly above All Star Quality and charge deluxe prices by having Storm Troopers roam the lobby.

I figure there must be a 500 page report which shows "conclusively" that 2 rides is the minimum number required to make a land satisfactory to the average visitor, thus retaining guests while minimizing costs.

Any time people present a plan with more rides that report is then thumped down on the table like it was the bible...

Based on where I work - I would expect you are 100% correct:

"IT says right THERE - TWO RIDES - A RESTAURANT - 5 GIFT SHOPS - AND A RESTROOM. Anything more is a waste of money!!! Those idiots that put 3 rides in cars land - I TOLD them. Read the book. TWO RIDES! 2 in Pandora, 2 in Toy Story, 2 in Star Wars. NO MORE!!"

"IT says right THERE - TWO RIDES - A RESTAURANT - 5 GIFT SHOPS - AND A RESTROOM. Anything more is a waste of money!!! Those idiots that put 3 rides in cars land - I TOLD them. Read the book. TWO RIDES! 2 in Pandora, 2 in Toy Story, 2 in Star Wars. NO MORE!!"
And then the third was Luigi's Flying Tires.

Permit filed for Catastrophe Canyon expiring 10/31/18

I can only imagine what that means...

I will post a link when I get back from vacation.

The permit is for "DHS Back of House Package TF1.08". The contractor is Hubbard Construction Company, they do a lot of site preparation work as well as road paving. For Disney they did the initial excavation for Bay Lake and more recently the site work for the Fantasyland Expansion. The address on the permit has been used in the past for Catastrophe Canyon, but they could just be using that address for that general area. With that said, I wouldn't be surprised if demolition of the Canyon is part of this.

The permit is for "DHS Back of House Package TF1.08". The contractor is Hubbard Construction Company, they do a lot of site preparation work as well as road paving. For Disney they did the initial excavation for Bay Lake and more recently the site work for the Fantasyland Expansion. The address on the permit has been used in the past for Catastrophe Canyon, but they could just be using that address for that general area. With that said, I wouldn't be surprised if demolition of the Canyon is part of this.
They also did prep work for the monorail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter