Diagon Alley early entry for hotel guests experiences so far?!!!

Debs Hill

DIS Veteran
Hi guys
We are going coming to Universal in a weeks time and I was interested to know your experiences so far........
What time have you been arriving at the park for early entry?
What time do the boats start running from the resorts?
What has the wait time been like for Gringotts during early entry?

Help!!!
Debsx

my friend is there now..Boats start running at 615am I think he said..He was in line well before for 7am early entry opening and got into Diagon alley at about 745 am and on line for gringotts.At that point he was told the wait was already 4 hrs.He finally rode around 315pm..It broke down 2x while he was waiting and wasn't running at full capacity .I think once we get passed this initial opening period and start running at full capacity with less glitches it won't be as bad..Yesterday was only the 2nd DAY

Oh my!!!!! I hadn't appreciated that it would be any where near that bad for early entry guests! Hopefully they will get it running at full capacity in the next week or so! If your friend was in line at 7.45pm how was the queue already at 4 hours?? Full with people who had been there since 5.00am waiting to get in at 7.00am?!!!! Need a strategy!
Would love to hear from anyone who was there today, is it getting any better?!
Debs

We arrived at 6 this morning to moderate lines. Gates opened around 6:30. There was a feeble attempt to verify early access after the gates were opened, but it wouldn't be hard to slip through.

Crowds were led through the park with blockades at a couple of points to slow things down. There was a large switchback at the entrance to Diagon where they were counting the number of entrants.

We were at Gringotts by 7 and have been sitting by the talking Goblin for the last hour and a half. Just started moving a bit at around. 8:30. They told us coming in that Gringotts would not start running until 9:00--disappointing with early entry starting at 7. It seems they are still having trouble with this ride. Diagon Alley was stunning. I am anxious to see more if we ever escape from Gringotts.

Oh my!!!!! I hadn't appreciated that it would be any where near that bad for early entry guests! Hopefully they will get it running at full capacity in the next week or so! If your friend was in line at 7.45pm how was the queue already at 4 hours?? Full with people who had been there since 5.00am waiting to get in at 7.00am?!!!! Need a strategy!
Would love to hear from anyone who was there today, is it getting any better?!
Debs

Apparently when he got there around 6am there was already a huge amount of people there ahead of him.remember , ALL of the onsite resorts have early entry privelages ( CB is 1800 rooms by itself) and partner hotels booked with pkgs ,and apparently most people are taking advantage of the early entry

Apparently when he got there around 6am there was already a huge amount of people there ahead of him.remember , ALL of the onsite resorts have early entry privelages ( CB is 1800 rooms by itself) and partner hotels booked with pkgs ,and apparently most people are taking advantage of the early entry

That must have been yesterday. We were first inline at City walk then gates. We could not get into Citywalk as security won't allow it. After that we waited at the gates.

Then as stated above they walk you all the way there with a rope block. After that you are a single file into queue outside London. Then into DA and around DA to Gringotts. It was a zoo even with EE. I think with the crown of people all pushing forward while walking to DA really messes things up as people are entering the park way behind you they are running up inky to find a rope block. It get crazy with people pushing thru. We just let people just go by as it's not worth it. So even though we were basically first at the gate we became maybe a few hundred to 1000 back at DA.

It's really sad to see parents with children setting great examples by running and forcing aside people. TM's were telling people to stay on the walking path as many were cutting in the grass around by MIB. Then they put us thru a barricade to reduce line width. People were going around that also and moving the barricades. This is what is wrong with the public, me first take no expense to get there. Really sad.

So I'm scheduled for a visit in a little over a week... and I'm totally ready to say "Forget Gringotts." We're local-ish and unwilling to deal with this kind of crowding/waiting.

But question for those who are there/have been there this week: is there any plan of attack to experience DA with no Gringotts that might not be so awful? I know the return ticket system has started - when might be the best time to use that? Skip EE and arrive around 8 or 9? Or wait until late afternoon/evening? We'll be happy to spend some time in Hogsmeade first - any advantage or disadvantage to doing that and taking Hogwarts Express to DA?

I know everyone is excited, but manners seem to go out of the window for a lot of people when they in Orlando!!

I know its only opening week but do you think Uni has shot themselves in the foot with CB having EE as well as the 3 delux? I mean CB is HUGE and has so many poss guests if they chose to us EE.
Of course they had to be some perk to stay at CB, but if it effects EE too much could it cause a problem for Universal as it a major perk for staying onsite.
If it was making too many crowds in say a couple of months time, do you think Uni would address it? Or is it too late?

I think they need to stop offering early entry to Virgin and other partner hotel. Sorry if that sounds mean but it should only be onsite guests now CB has it.

Karkor said:
I know everyone is excited, but manners seem to go out of the window for a lot of people when they in Orlando!!

I know its only opening week but do you think Uni has shot themselves in the foot with CB having EE as well as the 3 delux? I mean CB is HUGE and has so many poss guests if they chose to us EE.
Of course they had to be some perk to stay at CB, but if it effects EE too much could it cause a problem for Universal as it a major perk for staying onsite.
If it was making too many crowds in say a couple of months time, do you think Uni would address it? Or is it too late?

I think they need to stop offering early entry to Virgin and other partner hotel. Sorry if that sounds mean but it should only be onsite guests now CB has it.

I bet if it continues to be an issue we will see EE being taken away from partner hotels.

Yes, CB is one of the issues. There were tons if CB people in inline.

Think they may have to have a think about what they can do if it continues. They could alternate parks for set hotels for EE. Then again everyone wants DA. They could do a LE meaning late entry in the evenings. I would LOVE that..... that is more of a dis thing and I can't see Uni offering this for a hotel perk.

It's really sad to see parents with children setting great examples by running and forcing aside people. TM's were telling people to stay on the walking path as many were cutting in the grass around by MIB. Then they put us thru a barricade to reduce line width. People were going around that also and moving the barricades. This is what is wrong with the public, me first take no expense to get there. Really sad.

That sounds horrible. I'm really rethinking the great "idea" that was this trip -- but it's too late now.

Oh well. One will need patience, patience, and more patience.

You were right in letting people just budge there way past you/not causing a stink - it truly is NOT worth it. Good on you. :thumbsup2

I can only hope that I will be that wise ... because I know inside I'll be losing my nerve.

They could alternate parks for set hotels for EE.

THIS!!!!!

Why they didn't do this I think is beyond poor planning on Uni's part -- after the first HP opening and all of the hype, what did they think was going to happen?

I'm staying at a Deluxe partner hotel -- I would have been happy with this.

I guess unless you're staying for only one night, I don't see how patrons could really complain? :confused3

Oh well. Live and learn.

:thumbsup2 if you stay I site, you still have 2 days early entry for 1 night stay if you check in early on 1st day.

THIS!!!!!

Why they didn't do this I think is beyond poor planning on Uni's part -- after the first HP opening and all of the hype, what did they think was going to happen?

I'm staying at a Deluxe partner hotel -- I would have been happy with this.

I guess unless you're staying for only one night, I don't see how patrons could really complain? :confused3

Oh well. Live and learn.

The bolded part is the problem right there.

Yep, that won't ever happen due to that.

What people need to understand is you do get EE into DA. The way they handled it yesterday is this.

Everyone at the gates no matter hotel guest or now was allowed thru the gates. Right before Shrek they are checking hotel keys for EE. If you have EE you proceed thru the barricades forward with the rope block walking.

If you don't have EE you are directed right down past mels all the way to MIB. From there you are directed out back to the backlot queues. You will be held there until all the EE guests are in DA, official park hour opening, or directed by employees.

No matter what hotel guest get first priority.

ok so over 40 other hotels have the POTENTIAL of EE.
according to this site. It says you HAVE to buy a universal package so not straight forward but still a lot of potential extra people allowed EE.

*********************************/universal/early-park-admission/

woops sorry wont let me post link must be ban site my bad

Yeah I figured as much. :(

Since you do get EE on the day of arrival and day of departure, I would think this could alleviate this issue to a certain extent .... ok I know I'm reaching :lmao:

Wait ..... if they did schedule dates ahead of time -- people could pick appropriate hotel's on appropriate dates. :smokin: .... yes I know I'm still reaching.

Everyone has a different mindset when it comes to most things ... mine has always been (to use this alternate date idea) --- "it's better to get 50% of something than a 100% of nothing".

By offering EE to all at both attractions (if things continue the way they are for some time) -- everyone suffers [couldn't think of a better word ;) -- they're closer to that 100% of nothing], which never makes for a good customer experience IMO.

I would think the majority (but I have no way of knowing this for sure) of people staying at the hotels that offer some kind of EE benefit, do spend at least a couple of nights there - not just one. I'm guessing.

Oh well --- I'll let you know in a couple of weeks :goodvibes :yay:

it's better to get 50% of something than a 100% of nothing

My sentiments exactly. Unless people complain loudly, nothing will change. If the status quo continues, Uni wins because of better crowd control and the ability to sell more packages with this perceived "benefit."

Our family stayed onsite at PFB in 2012...and found that the EE and express pass was HUGE. We had less than a 35 minute wait for WWHP, but when we exited the HP ride the place was mobbed due to the entry of non-hotel guests, and we quickly left for less suffocating parts of the park. We proceeded to breeze through and onto many rides and found ourselves finished with both parks by the end of our second day. We were astounded at how little waiting we did - and this was in early August. Of course, that was before another hotel was added and the mania of DA had begun. I am now very glad that (1) we took our US trip before the these opened, and (2) we decided not to try to add any US days to our upcoming Disney stay. I was so tempted, but reason won out. After reading some of the posts, I realize it was the right thing to do. It will probably take a few years for things to calm down, but the EE issue won't be solved by familiarity or time. US may indeed need to limit EE to the three deluxe onsite hotels' guests. It is an invaluable perk, but only if it provides the ease of access that we experienced. If it's accurate that other hotels offer the perk through packages, then I would say the right thing to do is keep the perk for the new CB hotel guests, but eliminate it for any off-site hotel guests, packages or not. Or start using a Disney-type FP system (although I am not a fan of this for US).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter