Dining Suggestions/Tips for a Newbie

DidneyWorlLover77

Earning My Ears
I have a current trip planned for the week of New Year's Eve. I have reservations to be in the Magic Kingdom on New Years Eve. My question is, where do you recommend I eat for dinner that day? Should I stay within the park the whole day, since it'll be very crowded I assume? What's some tips you have for getting those hard to get dining reservations?

Thanks in advance!

It really depends on your likes/dislikes. If you are not adventurous or don't want to take up park time, quick service is the way to go and you really should concider mobile ordering.
If you want a nice sit down, well IMO, MK is weak on sit down dining options. I would suggest Liberty Tree Tavern or Skippers Cantina.
As far as how to snag the reservation? Persistance and perserverance if you don't get it asap and concider off times if you can. Since it's July, you might luck out as you are within the 180 window.

It really depends on your likes/dislikes. If you are not adventurous or don't want to take up park time, quick service is the way to go and you really should concider mobile ordering.
If you want a nice sit down, well IMO, MK is weak on sit down dining options. I would suggest Liberty Tree Tavern or Skippers Cantina.
As far as how to snag the reservation? Persistance and perserverance if you don't get it asap and concider off times if you can. Since it's July, you might luck out as you are within the 180 window.
The booking window right now is 60 days prior to arrival. So there’s time to decide! :)

My family really wants a reservation at Cinderella's Royal Table for New Year's Eve.. I'm guessing I just have to try really hard on the first day I can make dining reservations and hope for the best. I know those reservations are hard to snag.

A lot will depend on personal preference, budget, which park(s) you plan to visit and if you plan to eat most meals at the parks or perhaps have some at various hotels or even Disney Springs.

If you have never been to Disney, I would recommend you read the menus posted on the official Disney website to see if they offer things you like. Bad reviews often seem to be from people who didn't know what a particular restaurant serves or the style of service wasn't what they thought. If you don't like sushi (for example), then don't pick someplace that only serves that. Some Disney restaurants have a fixed menu with only a few entree choices, so it is better to know that ahead of time then be disappointed.

People can cancel their meal reservations up to the day before without paying a fee. Therefore, you might check closer to the time of your planned meals to find a spot has opened in something that wasn't previously available. Depending on you budget, it might also be cheaper to eat off-site from Disney and likely those places will also have more seating available.

A lot will depend on personal preference, budget, which park(s) you plan to visit and if you plan to eat most meals at the parks or perhaps have some at various hotels or even Disney Springs.

If you have never been to Disney, I would recommend you read the menus posted on the official Disney website to see if they offer things you like. Bad reviews often seem to be from people who didn't know what a particular restaurant serves or the style of service wasn't what they thought. If you don't like sushi (for example), then don't pick someplace that only serves that. Some Disney restaurants have a fixed menu with only a few entree choices, so it is better to know that ahead of time then be disappointed.

People can cancel their meal reservations up to the day before without paying a fee. Therefore, you might check closer to the time of your planned meals to find a spot has opened in something that wasn't previously available. Depending on you budget, it might also be cheaper to eat off-site from Disney and likely those places will also have more seating available.

Great advice! My sisters really want me to try for Cinderella's Royal Table while we're there, and I'm sure that will be relatively difficult to get. I have hope though!

I 2nd trying to get Cinderella's Royal Table - that would be awesome on NYE. Try to book it first, like in the first 10-30 seconds when your reservation window opens 60 days out (It opens at 7am on the east coast). Be Our Guest would be a nice option too, but will also be VERY hard to get.

My favorite restaurant in MK is the Jungle Skipper Canteen Restaurant - it's near (and themed after) Jungle Cruise. The food is FANTASTIC! I can't stress that enough. It's nice but not exactly a special occasion place. But the food (and drinks!) make up for it. Servers are great. I would put that as my 3rd choice, over Crystal Palace (pass), Plaza or others.

Another option if you really wanted to take a "break" would be to get a res at California Grill at the Contemporary. It's a quick walk or a monorail ride from MK and then you can go right back to MK afterwards. And it's really one of the best restaurants at WDW. Views of MK and the castle. Food and service are really top notch. Will also be a really hard reservation to get.

A similar option is Narcoosse at Grand Floridian. I love it - it's right on the lake and a beautiful setting, another special occasion place. You could also take the monorail there and head back to MK afterwards.

Good luck - NYE is my favorite holiday (and it's my wedding anniversary!) and one day I hope to celebrate it at WDW!

Oh, also, the best way to snag a restaurant reservations if they are all booked up (once you are in the 60 day window) is to subscribe to mouse dinning (google it). It's $9/month and TOTALLY worth it. You set alerts and they will text or e-mail you (or both) as soon as something opens up for the day and timeframe you want. Lots of people will book reservations just to hold them and will release them, so you can usually get it if you pay close attention to the alerts (must click the link the moment you get the text/e-mail, and even then its usually gone. But I've scored 90% of the reservations we wanted this way. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter