• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disabilities parade viewing - thoughts on this incident?

I sent an email to WDW - perhaps they can retrain the cast members and managers with a solution to this issue or at least how to handle it better. I agree that having more staff would help!

I sent an email to WDW - perhaps they can retrain the cast members and managers with a solution to this issue or at least how to handle it better. I agree that having more staff would help!

Just my two cents, white tape on the floor with a scooter/wheelchair area front might work at no extra cost.

I hope it helps I think anyone in the area without a mobility device should be behind the people in mobility devices. It just make since

So out of curiosity - what does one need to do or show to be allowed in that area? I have always thought of it as a place for people in wheelchairs/scooters/electric chairs to park and be able to see the parade. Since Disney doesn't issue paper cards for the DAS - do CM's scan a magic band for those with hidden disabilities to be allowed to use that area?

I think the best solution would have been to move that family to whatever the "better viewing" area was that the manager moved one group to. Of course they refused to move or to sit. I truly don't think security would have helped in this situation because I'm not sure it's a Disney rule that people in the front should sit or be lower than people standing.
Ok--not to be rude about a disabled bowel person--but were you anywhere near a bathroom? I know the handicapped areas at Disneyland are nowhere near a bathroom--it would seem to me she would need quick access rather than a specific viewing area. Just wondering how having a special viewing area accommodated her disability?

I just wanted to chime in and share the horrific experience I had in the wheelchair viewing area at MNSSHP last year. It was just me and my two young boys, my younger son has autism and hypotonia so uses his stroller as wheelchair. I planned very hard for the trip for him and arrived 40 min before the parade started and got my son comfortable in his environment. I got him snacks and prepared him for what was to come, this is what is necessary to ensure for smooth transitions with him and make him comfortable and able to tolerate new things. About 5 minutes before the parade was about to start, a cm came and tried to put a person in a scooter and her husband directly in front of my son where there was barely any room. I spoke up as my son began to have a meltdown because someone was in his space. I said my son can’t see now and we have been here for 30 minutes waiting for this parade, it isn’t fair to try and cram someone in front of him at the last minute. He also has sensory issues and doesn’t like people on top of him in his space. The cm understood and started to signal the people to move, but the man became irate and started screaming at me and my son. He said my son doesn’t look disabled and why should he have to move for a kid. And he kept pointing at my son saying “I shouldn’t have to move for him” my son was hysterical and then i started crying. Thank god for the sweet woman dressed as snow White next to me, she jumped in and stood up for my son and said my son has a developmental disability which isn’t visible and consoled me. The cm eventually moved the angry man and his wife away as he was ranting and yelling at me but it was such a low depressing point for me.
Not to make excuses but sounds like the gentleman may have had a bit of dementia going on.

Thanks for the clarification, that makes sense. I've been reading on another thread that they use tape to delimiter a scooter-only area in front of the reserved viewing for the dessert party, maybe it would be the thing to do on the parade viewing area?
which dessert party was this at? When I was at the After Fireworks party in April there was no "scooter-only area"--I got there super early and staked out a spot at the front on the left to minimize blocking of people behind me. FYI most people sat on the grass. At the last minute a family came up with a wheelchair next to me and some children who stood at the fence but most people seated were far enough back it didn't impede their view.

Ok--not to be rude about a disabled bowel person--but were you anywhere near a bathroom? I know the handicapped areas at Disneyland are nowhere near a bathroom--it would seem to me she would need quick access rather than a specific viewing area. Just wondering how having a special viewing area accommodated her disability?
This is a yes and no there are two bathrooms close by one marked in red is blocked becuse if the parade the other marked in black is but you have to make your way thought a lot of people. Being on Main Street your much closer to the bathroom by Casey’s corner

Attachments

• E10CA2B5-629B-4B3A-B7E7-DA1B53BB1981.jpeg
    E10CA2B5-629B-4B3A-B7E7-DA1B53BB1981.jpeg
    50.9 KB · Views: 12

This is a screenshot from the MK disability map with the 3 handicapped viewing areas markedView attachment 429310
So like I said, i did the after Fireworks dessert party so didn't use the HA area. Do you just show up for these areas or do you have to make a reservation at City Hall first?

which dessert party was this at? When I was at the After Fireworks party in April there was no "scooter-only area"--I got there super early and staked out a spot at the front on the left to minimize blocking of people behind me. FYI most people sat on the grass. At the last minute a family came up with a wheelchair next to me and some children who stood at the fence but most people seated were far enough back it didn't impede their view.

Not sure, guess it might be HEA as the poster noted the setup with the white tape was unusual for these dessert parties.

Not sure, guess it might be HEA as the poster noted the setup with the white tape was unusual for these dessert parties.
could you direct me to the other thread? Thanks.

I have done quite a few dessert party and have never seen a place reserved for wheelchair ECV user within the party area there is one right infont of the dessert party area that is reserved and this one is on a fist cone fist served

could you direct me to the other thread? Thanks.

Took me some time as I follow a lot of threads, but I was finally able to get my hands on it! Original post was made by @GADisneyDad14, and was about the MNSSHP dessert party
https://www.disboards.com/threads/o...ve-celebration.3729471/page-222#post-60996321
Here is the pic:

In addition, @mckennarose added some time later:

I believe someone else reported that they were allowed to move forward later if that area was not occupied by someone in an ECV. (?) Either way, it is a change from how I've seen the HEA dessert party go.

Not sure this is current, as I have not witnessed it from myself. Quoted the dismembers that talked about it in case they can bring you more light!

Took me some time as I follow a lot of threads, but I was finally able to get my hands on it! Original post was made by @GADisneyDad14, and was about the MNSSHP dessert party
https://www.disboards.com/threads/o...ve-celebration.3729471/page-222#post-60996321
Here is the pic:
View attachment 429826

Not sure this is current, as I have not witnessed it from myself. Quoted the dismembers that talked about it in case they can bring you more light!
I don't remember seeing that in April, so does look like a change. Thanks!

Well the young woman wasn't clear and I didn't ask her anything about why she was there. I actually thought she must be with a WC user on the other side of them until she said SHE was the one with the disability and it was a bowel issue and she isn't suppose to sit (stay seated long?)...not sure on that one but she said she needs to stand. She had been sitting until the headless horseman was about to come down the parade route.

I honestly wouldn't have thought or cared much about one person standing in the front but I don't know why her entire party had to stand with her. At one point the lady got upset saying that she had the bowel issue, her mom had heart problems (I guess that was her mom standing with them?) etc. I just thought woooo boy if we're going to play the "I've more disabled than you" game in this area good luck with that one. Have you ever just had anyone say something so dumb to you and you thought "how can you reply to that much stupidity?" - yeah it was kinda like that. She was seeing people being upset with her as a challenge of "why are you in this area" vs a "stand behind those who are sitting" issue. I just personally don't care or want to know why someone is there if they have an issue that this area can help then so be it.

Yes, not disputing her "right" to be there--but the whole thing seems so odd. But then I always assume other disabled people are sympathetic and nice to other people with disabilities and as your example (and the example of the Mom with child in the stroller above) shows that is not always the case.

That I wouldn't say is entirely true though with DL being nowhere near a restroom. Its definitely not right on top of one. But there’s actually three restrooms fairly close to the HA area on Main Street for parade viewing.

32D22BA5-F9BE-4D2E-97E6-36AA611D4E2A.png

I know with at least the one behind the tour check in has a companion bathroom and the one by Disneyana has a handicap accessible stall. Not sure about the one in City Hall but I assume it’s ADA compliant.

I also getting them wouldn’t be perfect in a parade scenario (have to wait until break) but they aren’t completely out of the way either. Disneyanas one is probably the most convenient in the situation with someone who has bowel problems.

That's me you quoted and I'm afraid I don't have any further info. The taped off area for the MNSSHP dessert party seems new, and perhaps they do it now for all the other HEA dessert parties. I did the HEA dessert party 3 months ago in May and there was definitely not a taped off area in the Plaza Garden. I'm going to MNSSHP next week and doing the dessert party and will check it out.

I read on the MNSSHP thread that someone was in a wheelchair for the MNSSHP dessert party and put in that taped off area of the Plaza Garden, however, they couldn't see clearly as there are shrubs and things blocking the view and they had to move. The regular MK HA area is directly in front of the Plaza Garden where the dessert party is, and people who accompany a family member in the HA area do stand behind any mobility devices in the HA area...I've seen that first hand when we've done the HEA dessert party. My concern is that there is already a wall of those people standing in front of the Plaza Garden area, which is right in front of the rail area shown in the photo (if you look at the photo upper left corner you'll see the roped area which I believe is an entrance to the HA area ??? It's hard for me to be sure.) I'm wondering how on Earth someone in the Plaza Garden dessert party area in a ECV, wheelchair, etc. and seated in the roped off area can see over the obstacles in the Plaza Garden itself AND over that row of people. Just because Disney is now reserving the "front row" of the dessert party space doesn't mean it's actually an area that has a clear view of the castle and show.

The only thing between the people using the Plaza Garden dessert party HA area and the regular HA area for non-dessert party people is the pathway, which is constantly full of people walking and trying to stop in the middle of the path for the show. I've seen that more times than I can count. I get that Disney is trying to make accommodations for people who paid for the Plaza Garden dessert party by designating a HA area inside the Plaza Garden, but if I were using a ECV, etc, I would be really upset at the "view".

Reactions: CJN
That's me you quoted and I'm afraid I don't have any further info. The taped off area for the MNSSHP dessert party seems new, and perhaps they do it now for all the other HEA dessert parties. I did the HEA dessert party 3 months ago in May and there was definitely not a taped off area in the Plaza Garden. I'm going to MNSSHP next week and doing the dessert party and will check it out.

I read on the MNSSHP thread that someone was in a wheelchair for the MNSSHP dessert party and put in that taped off area of the Plaza Garden, however, they couldn't see clearly as there are shrubs and things blocking the view and they had to move. The regular MK HA area is directly in front of the Plaza Garden where the dessert party is, and people who accompany a family member in the HA area do stand behind any mobility devices in the HA area...I've seen that first hand when we've done the HEA dessert party. My concern is that there is already a wall of those people standing in front of the Plaza Garden area, which is right in front of the rail area shown in the photo (if you look at the photo upper left corner you'll see the roped area which I believe is an entrance to the HA area ??? It's hard for me to be sure.) I'm wondering how on Earth someone in the Plaza Garden dessert party area in a ECV, wheelchair, etc. and seated in the roped off area can see over the obstacles in the Plaza Garden itself AND over that row of people. Just because Disney is now reserving the "front row" of the dessert party space doesn't mean it's actually an area that has a clear view of the castle and show.

The only thing between the people using the Plaza Garden dessert party HA area and the regular HA area for non-dessert party people is the pathway, which is constantly full of people walking and trying to stop in the middle of the path for the show. I've seen that more times than I can count. I get that Disney is trying to make accommodations for people who paid for the Plaza Garden dessert party by designating a HA area inside the Plaza Garden, but if I were using a ECV, etc, I would be really upset at the "view".

Thank you so much for the added info! That's very useful.

If the area I'm thinking of is where this taped off area is it's the area at the front and to the left? Because that's where I was in an ECV and I had a great view. Yes, the people walking by were a bit distracting. I didn't realize the roped off area in front (outside of the Plaza Garden viewing area) was HA. I know there were a LOT of people in that area and more kept squeezing in. Looking forward to your report after your trip!

I read on the MNSSHP thread that someone was in a wheelchair for the MNSSHP dessert party and put in that taped off area of the Plaza Garden, however, they couldn't see clearly as there are shrubs and things blocking the view and they had to move.

That was not my post on the MNSSHP thread but I did do the first dessert party at the MNSSHP and was put in that area they mention. The view was ok I thought although I couldn't see anything at the bottom of the castle. Until my son asked me if I had seen the character at the bottom that came out at the start of the fireworks I had no idea that had happened - lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter