Disney Channel no longer Disney Channel?

phineasfan100

Mouseketeer
I have noticed in the last 10 or so years the Disney image has faded off of Disney Channel. I rarely see anything related to Disney and mostly see all of this new teen garbage. Does anyone agree and if you were a DC executive, what would you do to fix it?

phineasfan100 said:
I have noticed in the last 10 or so years the Disney image has faded off of Disney Channel. I rarely see anything related to Disney and mostly see all of this new teen garbage. Does anyone agree and if you were a DC executive, what would you do to fix it?

I have it on disney channel right now. And see tons of disney images. I mean everything says disney or has the mickey head. Or says disney channel original. And about nothing related to disney? I see everything related to disney. Its disney produced. And disney channel has always had these type of shows. Remember even Stevens? Lizzie mcquire? Doug?

No I'm talking about things like Walt Disney Presents and the classic Mickey shorts and stuff like that. 7/8 of the stuff on DC is not even animated any more. It's all what I like to call "Teen C***" It says Disney but it doesn't have that Disney touch the older stuff had. By Disney Image I don't mean Disney graphics I mean the views of Walt and the classic Disney feel.

I know what you mean. It's like MTV no longer playing music videos.

It would be great if they created another network, "Classic Disney" or something. They could show the original Mickey Mouse Club, Welcome to Pooh Corner, classic Fab 5 shorts, etc...

phineasfan100 said:
No I'm talking about things like Walt Disney Presents and the classic Mickey shorts and stuff like that. 7/8 of the stuff on DC is not even animated any more. It's all what I like to call "Teen C***" It says Disney but it doesn't have that Disney touch the older stuff had. By Disney Image I don't mean Disney graphics I mean the views of Walt and the classic Disney feel.

That's not what appeals to kids (their prime audience) they have rebranded mickey though. Which I quite like. Its like asking the same question about cartoon network what happened to them? They have to make changes to keep making them money. And I still get that disney feel watching it. I've grown up with disney and know more about Walt and his dream more than I care to admit and I think he would be happy with that side of things. Now some stuff with the parks that's another story.

It would be great if they created another network, "Classic Disney" or something. They could show the original Mickey Mouse Club, Welcome to Pooh Corner, classic Fab 5 shorts, etc...

I would love a channel like this! There already is a channel geared towards preschool aged children why not a channel that is geared towards older fans and shows the classic shows and shorts!

That's not what appeals to kids (their prime audience) they have rebranded mickey though. Which I quite like. Its like asking the same question about cartoon network what happened to them? They have to make changes to keep making them money. And I still get that disney feel watching it. I've grown up with disney and know more about Walt and his dream more than I care to admit and I think he would be happy with that side of things. Now some stuff with the parks that's another story.

Actually, my kids LOVE watching the old Disney cartoons. One of their favorite things to do on a cruise is sit on the bed with their dad (who grew up with the old cartoons) and watch the old short cartoons on the TV. My son (6) actually just mentioned it tonight when we were talking about our upcoming cruise--he even has favorite episodes. And I recall seeing them the last time we stayed at a resort. So, I guess there would be at least 2 kids in the "Disney Classic" audience. :)

This has been a truth for a while..and in many Disney media outlets. Tweens andteens spend more cash then under 12. So marketing wants them bad.
So they create this tern drama/comedy cr@p in hopes of snagging those views getting too old for the one last good show on Dis channel for kids:
Mickey mouse club house!!!!!

Not sure it really needs fixing. The current lineup is extremely popular with kids (and many adults). I know my kids love all of the shows on Disney Channel, and they watch the same episodes over and over again (we have Disney On Demand), and they laugh just as hard each time. We've already watched Teen Beach Movie 3 times this week. :rotfl: I thought it was kind of goofy, but better than Let It Shine. Nowhere near as good as Camp Rock or Camp Rock 2.

I think the biggest problem is network tv. They have really focused on reality shows and one hour dramas which leaves no time for good, clean family shows. Disney Channel's current line up fills the void of what used to be on regular channels. Other than WIPEOUT (on a Disney owned channel), I can't think of any other show we watch as a family on network tv.

I think the biggest problem is network tv. They have really focused on reality shows and one hour dramas which leaves no time for good, clean family shows. Disney Channel's current line up fills the void of what used to be on regular channels. Other than WIPEOUT (on a Disney owned channel), I can't think of any other show we watch as a family on network tv.

We love wipeout.....

I remember shows like Full House, Cosby show, Family Ties.

Disney is trying to do similar stuff....

ABC family is totally inappropriate these days, way too drama advanced for teens.....

NIck is hit or miss.....

We just mainly watch Netflix.....

I'd rather my kids watch Dr. Who or Top Gear than most kid shows...

My problem is that DC's main audience should be FAMILIES not kids. Walt built Disneyland for that reason, right? DC should do a complete reconstruction to be more aimed at all ages and not just kids.

We love wipeout.....

I remember shows like Full House, Cosby show, Family Ties.

Disney is trying to do similar stuff....

ABC family is totally inappropriate these days, way too drama advanced for teens.....

NIck is hit or miss.....

We just mainly watch Netflix.....

I'd rather my kids watch Dr. Who or Top Gear than most kid shows...

We love Top Gear and Duck Dynasty. DD will watch Full House on Nick at Nite. Disney Channel is pretty much the only channel the kids watch where I don't have to worry about the shows being inappropriate. I grew up on great shows on Nickelodeon, but I can't stand most anything on there now, with the exception of Power Rangers. I wish Disney could get them back.

I definitely agree that their needs to be a Disney Family's channel. I want to be able to watch Disney classic stuff with my daughter, and the current line up isn't cutting it for me. Another thing, Disney radio is nothing but beiber, Selena Gomez, one direction. These kids are on TMZ everyday, what happened to playing Disney songs from the movies that we all love?

I would either...

A. Get rid of every show, but keep some like 'Gravity Falls,' 'Phineas and Ferb,' 'Mickey Mouse,' and 'have a laugh.' Then replace it with the older stuff.

or...

B. Launch Disney's answer to Boomerang, where it shows nothing but old Disney Channel shows, even use the first logo.

I've been wanting this for awhile, if Catoon Network has Boomarang. A Nickeoldeon kinda has the 90's are All That block. Why can't disney do the same?
My only issue with this channel being a channel is Fios doesn't get many HD feeds of the sister networks.

I would either...

A. Get rid of every show, but keep some like 'Gravity Falls,' 'Phineas and Ferb,' 'Mickey Mouse,' and 'have a laugh.' Then replace it with the older stuff.

or...

B. Launch Disney's answer to Boomerang, where it shows nothing but old Disney Channel shows, even use the first logo.

I think they should do a combination of this, on DC keep a few of the most popular shows but mix in the classics AND create "Disney's Boomerang".

I've been wanting this for awhile, if Catoon Network has Boomarang. A Nickeoldeon kinda has the 90's are All That block. Why can't disney do the same?
My only issue with this channel being a channel is Fios doesn't get many HD feeds of the sister networks.

The HD concern would not be valid in this case since the content of this channel would have been made before HD was invented.

I think they should do a combination of this, on DC keep a few of the most popular shows but mix in the classics AND create "Disney's Boomerang".

The HD concern would not be valid in this case since the content of this channel would have been made before HD was invented.

My issue with no HD isn't about the picture quality, but more so that Fios has HD & SD separate, so when I browse stations I have to specifically remember to check certain stations. I know it a first world problem, but still annoying.

Whatever the current lineup of Disney Channel is, I am certainly glad for one thing: they don't have mainstream advertisements. I can let my kids watch TV without them being constantly barraged with ads of the latest and greatest must-have toys for only five payments of $19.99.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter