Disney Channel no longer Disney Channel?

Actually, my kids LOVE watching the old Disney cartoons. One of their favorite things to do on a cruise is sit on the bed with their dad (who grew up with the old cartoons) and watch the old short cartoons on the TV. My son (6) actually just mentioned it tonight when we were talking about our upcoming cruise--he even has favorite episodes. And I recall seeing them the last time we stayed at a resort. So, I guess there would be at least 2 kids in the "Disney Classic" audience. :)

My kids too!! My DS6 & DS4 always sat in the kids area of the POP food court to watch the old Disney classic cartoons! They LOVE them! And it's all they wanted to watch in the room too.

If you want to see classic Disney than You Tube is your friend

I do this ALL the time though my main concern is the kids today, thinking Mickey is for babies or even worse not knowing about the Walt-era classic animated films and a side effect to that is when they go to WDW they have no idea who those characters are. :scared1:

My oldest is almost 9 and we don't watch the regular Disney channel unless there is a movie or something on there. I don't let them watch the "tween" shows because.. well, they aren't 12. Some of the Disney cartoons I'm not into either, like Phineus and Ferb. We basically stick to Disney Jr. and my kids are okay with that! :happytv:

We were at the Indy 500 and they had a kid's area that Disney was sponsoring.. they had radio Disney there and stuff, but everything was that Disney XD or whatever. Nothing geared for younger kids.

Of course, Hubs and I are more conservative about what our kids watch and listen to then most. I just don't think my kids need to be "tweens" or teens until they are actually "tweens" or teens.. ;)

My oldest is almost 9 and we don't watch the regular Disney channel unless there is a movie or something on there. I don't let them watch the "tween" shows because.. well, they aren't 12. Some of the Disney cartoons I'm not into either, like Phineus and Ferb. We basically stick to Disney Jr. and my kids are okay with that! :happytv:

We were at the Indy 500 and they had a kid's area that Disney was sponsoring.. they had radio Disney there and stuff, but everything was that Disney XD or whatever. Nothing geared for younger kids.

Of course, Hubs and I are more conservative about what our kids watch and listen to then most. I just don't think my kids need to be "tweens" or teens until they are actually "tweens" or teens.. ;)

Yeah I know, the one problem I have with MMCH is the characters personalities are not the same as they are in the 1928-2006 cartoons. I really don't like the "New" MM shorts all that much and don't get me STARTED on Radio Disney...

Whatever the current lineup of Disney Channel is, I am certainly glad for one thing: they don't have mainstream advertisements. I can let my kids watch TV without them being constantly barraged with ads of the latest and greatest must-have toys for only five payments of $19.99.

That must be only a thing on the main Disney Channel. Disney XD is full of commercials for Cuddleupets, Pillow pets and tons of other dolls that have weird gimmicks including one that are supposed to be a flashlight doll but look like Iron Man's pets.

That must be only a thing on the main Disney Channel. Disney XD is full of commercials for Cuddleupets, Pillow pets and tons of other dolls that have weird gimmicks including one that are supposed to be a flashlight doll but look like Iron Man's pets.

Yeah I know and considering the "target audience" is 7-14 year old BOYS. It's a lost cause. The companies are paying for commercials that the "target audience" will never buy.

I totally agree. When I was a teenager I used to love watching The Little Mermaid Series and Lilo & Stitch the series in the morning and then other disney shows. I have not been watching disney channel as much as I did in high school and college.

Yeah I know, the one problem I have with MMCH is the characters personalities are not the same as they are in the 1928-2006 cartoons. I really don't like the "New" MM shorts all that much and don't get me STARTED on Radio Disney...

Well, IMO, you really should start loving the new Mickey shorts, because they actually bring the characters back to their "1928-2006" personalities, for one thing.

Well, IMO, you really should start loving the new Mickey shorts, because they actually bring the characters back to their "1928-2006" personalities, for one thing.

I like the stories but the ART is unbearable. I know I'm biased, but that's my opinion. How hard is it to make a Mickey Mouse show like they used to? (2D animation, classic personalities, old drawing styles, etc...)

I believe they should have two channels. One for little kids, and one of teens. Adults also need to have channels themselves.:furious:

I'll be the voice of dissension here.... I like a lot of what Disney Channel shows. Most of the "tween shows" are actually written by the family sitcom writers of the 80's and 90's. Good Luck Charlie and Jessie are the family sitcoms which are not on network tv these days. Phineas and Ferb and Gravity Falls are two of the best toons on TV, because we can actually watch them together. They are smart and funny shows that engage the family as a whole. Not too dumb for the adults and good content for the kids.

I do think ABC is headed in the right direction with Once Upon a Time, and this fall I am really looking forward to Once Upon a Time in Wonderland and the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. I love shows that we can watch together! My only compliant is that the commercials aired during family shows needs to be a little more family friendly. DVR is my friend, so we don't have to deal with the Desperate Housewives promos. I noticed the same thing a few weeks ago on NBC when they did the American Girl movie. If you are going to promote and air family viewing programs the advertising needs to be family appropriate.

That said, I have just as many DVDs of Disney shorts as I do of actual movies. Make Music Mine is one of my kids' favorites! The one I wish Disney would release is the old Jiminey Cricket shorts they showed at school, remember the "I'm no fool" cartoons? I would love to see those again!

Yeah, I don't have a problem with the current offerings of the channel. It does target slightly older kids, but the shows are generally high quality and filla void that network television has left behind. I do wish there was more animated stuff though (even Cartoon Network has a lot of live action these days), but the tween/tten comedies work just fine.

Also, I LOVE Gravity Falls...Season Finale TONIGHT!! Wooo!

DC does not have to get rid of it all, they just need to show SOME classic programming. I have heard horror stories that some kids (older than 10) not knowing that Walt was even a real person.

I like the stories but the ART is unbearable. I know I'm biased, but that's my opinion. How hard is it to make a Mickey Mouse show like they used to? (2D animation, classic personalities, old drawing styles, etc...)

How hard is it?! VERY hard! People like you ask for too much.

Just because the art is a different style doesn't make it bad--Disney cartoons and animated features use different design styles all the time.

Also, the characters in the new Mickey shorts ARE their "classic" personalities--Mickey is back to being the mischievous scamp, rascal, adventurer and often impatient and easily-angered mouse that he was in the 1920's and 30's cartoons, etc.

How hard is it?! VERY hard! People like you ask for too much.

Just because the art is a different style doesn't make it bad--Disney cartoons and animated features use different design styles all the time.

Also, the characters in the new Mickey shorts ARE their "classic" personalities--Mickey is back to being the mischievous scamp, rascal, adventurer and often impatient and easily-angered mouse that he was in the 1920's and 30's cartoons, etc.

I like the personalities but the art is my problem. What I mean is one putting the personalities of the new shorts but with original style art.

I like the personalities but the art is my problem. What I mean is one putting the personalities of the new shorts but with original style art.

I think the artwork is much closer to the original animation look that any of the 80's-90's-00's cartoons.

Compare Plane Crazy (1928) to Mickey's Airplane Kit (1999). The new cartoons look much more like Plane Crazy (more hectic, edgy, and herky jerky style animation I think, as opposed to the more well rounded, smoothed out style), and Mickey is back to that sort of personality. My family loves the new shorts that they have put out thus far, and look forward to seeing the new ones that are being put out regularly.

As for Disney Channel, everyone wants what they want... I'll leave it to the television execs to put out what the majority of people are wanting/watching. Youtube covers pretty much all of the classics you could ever want to see.

It shouldn't be Disney Channel's job to teach 10 year old kids that Walt Disney was a person. If you want your kids to know, teach them (not necessarily directed at you personally, just "you" as in anyone). My kids are 6 and 3 and they recognize Walt Disney the person.

Walt wanted to put entertainment on the screen, and if something wasn't working, he changed it. I think he would approve of what Disney Channel is doing, as its quite successful.

Disney jr is (aimed at) for toddlers

Disney Channel is for (aimed at) tween/teens

My family used to like watching Hannah Montanna, Raven and Suite Life with me but they would have rather died than watched Phineas and Ferb etc.

The shows are getting bad through

I loved Lizzie M, Raven, Cory, Hannah, Zack and Cody, Wizards, High school musical.

I liked how to be indie, gl charlie, zack and cody on deck, 16 wishes.
and Loved my baby sitters a vampire and sonny with a chance

I HATE ant farm, fish hooks, viloletta, shake it up,so random and dog with a blog etc
jessie is ok but v-racist
I also really hated frenimies, geek charming.

I love teen beach movie

The new shows are getting worse though so I agree

Oh and Disney XD has gravity falls which I find funny! but the other shows zeke and luther, pair of kings etc are awful!

Anyway it depends on whos writing them, whos producing them, who is acting etc to make a show 'good' and everyone has different tastes.

Disney jr is (aimed at) for toddlers

Disney Channel is for (aimed at) tween/teens

My family used to like watching Hannah Montanna, Raven and Suite Life with me but they would have rather died than watched Phineas and Ferb etc.

The shows are getting bad through

I loved Lizzie M, Raven, Cory, Hannah, Zack and Cody, Wizards, High school musical.

I liked how to be indie, gl charlie, zack and cody on deck, 16 wishes.
and Loved my baby sitters a vampire and sonny with a chance

I HATE ant farm, fish hooks, viloletta, shake it up,so random and dog with a blog etc
jessie is ok but v-racist
I also really hated frenimies, geek charming.

I love teen beach movie

The new shows are getting worse though so I agree

Oh and Disney XD has gravity falls which I find funny! but the other shows zeke and luther, pair of kings etc are awful!

Anyway it depends on whos writing them, whos producing them, who is acting etc to make a show 'good' and everyone has different tastes.

Gravity Falls is on regular Disney channel, not on XD. :goodvibes XD has a few decent shows. We watch Crash and Bernstein just about everyday, and Kickin' It and Lab Rats are good, too. My kids are in martial arts, so they are drawn to those two shows. DD likes Pair of Kings, but DS isn't a fan.

My kids love most of the shows you mentioned. :laughing: Shake it Up has been cancelled. They love Dog With a Blog and we have every So Random episode on DVD. One of the cast members from So Random did Q & As all the time on Facebook. We are FB "friends" with him and he gave a shoutout to my kids (calling them by name), and they were so excited. He does a lot of stage work these days. Pretty cool guy.

Gravity Falls is on regular Disney channel, not on XD. :goodvibes XD has a few decent shows. We watch Crash and Bernstein just about everyday, and Kickin' It and Lab Rats are good, too. My kids are in martial arts, so they are drawn to those two shows. DD likes Pair of Kings, but DS isn't a fan.

My kids love most of the shows you mentioned. :laughing: Shake it Up has been cancelled. They love Dog With a Blog and we have every So Random episode on DVD. One of the cast members from So Random did Q & As all the time on Facebook. We are FB "friends" with him and he gave a shoutout to my kids (calling them by name), and they were so excited. He does a lot of stage work these days. Pretty cool guy.

In the UK GF is on XD :banana: x

and aww thats cute I bet they were really happy :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter