Disney Cruise Line Updates Castaway Club Membership Requirements

I guess I'm weird - I make my cruise selections based on the itinerary (including embarkation point and ease of getting there), time of year, and perceived value TO ME. My "status" with any given line doesn't really enter into it. I've literally never said "I'm going with this cruise because I have status with the line."
Ditto. Only time considering loyalty status came into play was when we were within 3 points of the next level (not DCL) and there were 2 different cruise (lines) we were choosing between.

If you are flying in a day early and staying at the MCO Hyatt using DCL transfers, chose the airport to port option. We do this and aren’t on a time schedule and arrive to the port later. Now if leaving from a resort that won’t work for you.
Yup. Learned that and will do that next time. Unfortunately, this time I'm stuck because we're at a Disney hotel. With my luck, the next time we stay at the MCO Hyatt before a cruise, they'll have changed the process yet again.

Yes, I don't think they are sailing specifically because they are a Platinum member. However, if they lose the status, it does make "jumping ship" to another cruise line a lot easier, and less likely that they will return.

We're Platinum, and it makes absolutely no difference to us whether we retain that or not. I like the 10% shopping discount, but losing my status won't make me jump ship to another cruise line, regardless of their loyalty program. We pick our cruises based on the cruise line, an itinerary that fits our needs and wants and a schedule that works for us. The only thing that might make us jump ship is the itinerary, but it has to be a cruise line that suits us, and there aren't that many that we've identified that we'd be willing to try. For some, the change in status might, but for others, like us, it won't.

Ditto. Only time considering loyalty status came into play was when we were within 3 points of the next level (not DCL) and there were 2 different cruise (lines) we were choosing between.

I could see that. I'd probably only change something if I was deciding between a solo cabin (as in one designed for 1 person) where I'd only get 1 point per night or a cabin that's usually for 2 where I'd get double points and the double would put me into the next level AND wouldn't be ridiculously more expensive. But then it would probably be the same line, just different cabins.

Pretty sweet on RCL for diamond actually. Four free drinks per day. We don’t have to purchase any other drinks - alcohol or non alcohol as a result.

So, we have some relatives who will only use RCL, because they want to keep working towards their C&A society points. They don't want to "Split their status" between two lines.
I actually hear this a lot. I went to a Cruise Critic meetup on the Ruby Princess and I was talking about how much I enjoyed sailing on the Celebrity Edge. More than one person lamented that they'd really love to try Celebrity but they don't want to sail without their Princess Captain's Circle benefits so they feel tied to Princess because of the loyalty program. (Admittedly this is a self-selected group of cruisers interested and well-versed enough to want spend time on Cruise Critic, but I can't imagine having the same conversation about Castaway Club.)

I actually hear this a lot. I went to a Cruise Critic meetup on the Ruby Princess and I was talking about how much I enjoyed sailing on the Celebrity Edge. More than one person lamented that they'd really love to try Celebrity but they don't want to sail without their Princess Captain's Circle benefits so they feel tied to Princess because of the loyalty program. (Admittedly this is a self-selected group of cruisers interested and well-versed enough to want spend time on Cruise Critic, but I can't imagine having the same conversation about Castaway Club.)
I get it. I would t want to give up that free laundry either…

Not really my point, that's why I left price out of it.

What I was trying to say, it happens often that someone is loyal to a brand, has a complaint and then says "I will never use this brand again", only to go back to the brand at a later time.

In my experience, there is a difference between people saying they will never use a brand again and actually doing it. Especially when they were loyal to this brand before.

I do not believe that the majority of Platinum cruisers keep sailing with Disney because of the perks of being a Platinum member. There is something about the product they like, that fits their lifestyle.

If the product still fullfill their needs, they will most likely return.
I think on this case you’re wrong. A company you’ve given hundreds of thousand of dollars too. Basically gives you the middle finger. I don’t think someone will be that forgiving. It’s a liittle different than spouting off because your flight was cancelledd and you are just venting.

I have worked for a major airline in customer service. The amount of people who said after a complaint: "I am never flying with you again!"... the majority flew with us again within a reasonable period. Probably because direct flights, good service and being reliable was more important than whatever happened.

And those who didn't, there were dozens of others to replace them.

My guess is, this will be the same for those here who say "if I lose my status, I will never sail with Disney again," will probably sail with Disney again if they want to. By that time, you might still be upset, but think the Disney experience is more important, whether that is about service, characters, kids clubs, convenience over parks, than the losing of status.

There will be some who won't go back after finding out, but my guess: the majority of those who want to go back, will go back.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Disney does implement exceptions. At the airline, we had a yearly status renewal in our loyalty program, if you couldn't fly for a year because of pregnancy or disease, status was extended without much problem. Change of jobs, exceptions were possible.
Airlines are commodities. We flew on three different airlines last year and they all sucked. BA, AA, and Delta. They were indistinguishable except that on BA the staff had British accents lol. No one has emotional feelings about an airline. But Disney is all emotion. Ever seen the dvc promo videos? The see ya real soon show the last night of a Disney cruise? All emotionally driven. Disney has nurtured and developed emotional relationships with customers for many, many years. Now Disney is acting like an abusive parent or lover and turning on us. It’s not just the dcl loyalty club. That’s just a symptom of the dysfunctional relationship Disney has created. You better believe people will leave. They are leaving. Look at their stock price! The S and P 500 is up like 17% for the year. Disney is down like 50%.

Airlines are commodities. We flew on three different airlines last year and they all sucked. BA, AA, and Delta. They were indistinguishable except that on BA the staff had British accents lol. No one has emotional feelings about an airline. But Disney is all emotion. Ever seen the dvc promo videos? The see ya real soon show the last night of a Disney cruise? All emotionally driven. Disney has nurtured and developed emotional relationships with customers for many, many years. Now Disney is acting like an abusive parent or lover and turning on us. It’s not just the dcl loyalty club. That’s just a symptom of the dysfunctional relationship Disney has created. You better believe people will leave. They are leaving. Look at their stock price! The S and P 500 is up like 17% for the year. Disney is down like 50%.
Sitting on an airplane for hours is torture. There is just nothing to like about it. The only fun part of a flight is when you exit the plane to start your vacation. I live at an AA hub. They have the most direct flights and the best prices. I don't care about their service. I have no emotional attachment to any airline. If I moved to a Delta hub I'd fly Delta.

Sitting on an airplane for hours is torture. There is just nothing to like about it. The only fun part of a flight is when you exit the plane to start your vacation. I live at an AA hub. They have the most direct flights and the best prices. I don't care about their service. I have no emotional attachment to any airline. If I moved to a Delta hub I'd fly Delta.
I actually love flying! My holiday starts as soon as I arrive at the airport. Of course I like it better when flying business, premium, emergency exit seats or an empty seat next to me.

If you're Platinum or Pearl (Pearl esp) you're definitely cruising way more often than once every 5 years so this changes nothing for them or the cruise line.
Nope it could. I have 23 cruises in. I went four years from September 2019 to Sep 2023 without a cruise. You don’t know what people are going through. It could be money, sick family member or sick themselves. For me it is money. Same job but way less overtime. I will go on a cruise so I don’t lose my platinum status and being so close to Pearl. I will have to fit it two cruises until I retire. Got a little over 9 years until I retire than money should no longer be an issue.

Nope it could. I have 23 cruises in. I went four years from September 2019 to Sep 2023 without a cruise. You don’t know what people are going through. It could be money, sick family member or sick themselves. For me it is money. Same job but way less overtime. I will go on a cruise so I don’t lose my platinum status and being so close to Pearl. I will have to fit it two cruises until I retire. Got a little over 9 years until I retire than money should no longer be an issue.

You could possibly only need to book 1 if you retire within 10 years based on the policy. You have until September 2028 to book your next cruise based on this policy with a sailing as late as possibly Dec 2029. Then you wouldn’t need to have another cruise booked until December 2034.

Obviously would depend on itineraries and what you want to do but it could work out that you’d only need to book one prior to your retirement and then have a retirement celebration sailing!

I actually love flying! My holiday starts as soon as I arrive at the airport. Of course I like it better when flying business, premium, emergency exit seats or an empty seat next to me.
Do you also have an emotional attachment to an airline? Did you make long-lasting family memories sitting on that plane?

These companies don't have loyalty programs because they don't work. Sure, a few will say I don't care and book or fly whatever, whenever. But once you acquire perks of certain levels, they become tough to give up - whether it be a hotel, airline, cruise line, etc.

Disney has never offered great perks in my opinion for Castaway Club, so that may be easier to walk away from. I'm just Silver there, but once we hit a higher level, a free meal at Palo, or access to new itineraries before others would certainly be an enticement to stay.

I wish the parks had some sort of program - heck, even the ability to see lifetime visits or something via the app would be fun.

Do you also have an emotional attachment to an airline? Did you make long-lasting family memories sitting on that plane?
Well I am not comparing airlines with DCL as they are completely different products, but I have finally started a goal to reach a certain frequent flyer status. Something I should have done a long time ago. So I will choose certain airlines over others because of it.

Not sure what I would do if I would loose my status with DCL. I don’t disagree with their changes, just the way they are doing it.

To a certain extent, I am connected to airlines. Our status with them allow our vacations to places like Disney. I book SW first always due to their companion pass. It is a huge perk and I am loyal to them for it.

And work travel got me United status this year as well. So yes, I book them over American or Delta now due to the perks - free checked bags, seat upgrades, etc.

Well you are lucky. I used to like (not love) flying. But that was 20 years ago. Now I find people have become uncivilized. I can tell there are people on planes that haven’t showered and that grosses me out. They literally smell. I cannot stand the dogs people bring in planes. Gross. Plus, planes feel shaky to me lately. I just try to block out the entire experience and pray the plane doesn’t crash. And I’m not religious. So I’m not really sure why I’m praying. But I am.

I can see how this affects different people. My grandson and wife cruised late 2019 first time, then covid hit. Just as they were thinking of cruising again this year, they are now expecting their first baby next summer. So cruising is not possible for them, plus the 6 months after birth. So now they are looking at 2025. They only cruised once, so no big loss. But I can see how military families could be impacted too. I’m Pearl, so I’m good.

Last edited:
I can see how this affect people. My grandson and finance cruised late 2019 guest time, then covid hit. Just as they were thinking of cruising again, they are now expecting next summer. So cruising is not possible for them, plus the 6 months after birth. So now they are looking at 2025. They only cruised once, so no big loss. But I can see how military families could be impacted too. I’m Pearl, so I’m good.
You bring up a good point. Someone having two or three kids in a short amount of time may not be able to cruise. There are numerous reasons someone may not cruise for 5 years. I had two kids 17 months apart. We did not take a real vacation until they were 5 and 6.

I'm late to hearing this news. I'd care a lot more about this change if DCL's loyalty program was valuable. Particularly for the way we cruise. It may be one of the worst loyalty program in the industry, because DCL doesn't really need it to bring back customers. Maybe when DCL has more ships, they will need to make it more valuable to fill those extra rooms. But if Disney thinks this will drive people to cruise more, I think they are wrong. We are likely to cruise DCL every five years anyway, but I would hardly notice if we didn't and lost status.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter