Disney....Down 60 (updated 2/17)

Happy Duck

Mouseketeer
Greetings and Salutations!

Welcome to this tantalizing description of a magical journey set to commence relatively soon. (There's currently ice cream in the freezer so I wouldn't place bets on the next few hours.)

What is this journey may you ask? Well, to be honest, I'm not quite sure myself. I don't have a plan. I don't have expectations. I just know that I need to do something.

Something. Hmm. Too vague? Well, let me go back a ways.

January 2009. Freshman in college, 210 lbs. Unhappy. Combine that with a distaste of the cafeteria food and a happening upon a rather nifty C25K program, you have a 65lb weight loss in a year. (Now don't get all worried. I did eat; just not the greasy, slathered, chemically enhanced entrees all dressed up as edible food. Enter deli sandwiches.) I did it healthily, with a great exercise program and adequate diet. The sky was the limit. I was fitting into size 11 jeans. Say WHAT?

So you would think that this fairytale ending would leave me with an inspirational story and a wardrobe of fantastic clothes. Well, it did leave me with a half-inspirational story and, unfortunately, a wardrobe of clothes that don't fit.

You see, I could spout off a handful of reasons of why I regained the weight. Many of them are valid, and will cause me to rethink my strategies over the next few months, but none of them control me. I control me. Hand to mouth, feet to pavement; all of those choices are mine and aren't dependent on where I am or who I'm with.

Fast forward to May 2012. It's over 3 years later. While it did take me awhile to regain the weight (at 200 now), it did return. Now I am a recent college graduate (1 week and 2 days to be exact), unhappy, and about to start my real life teaching elementary school music. This is definitely not the state I would like to be in.

And now. Why am I on DISboards spouting off this mantra? Well, I'll admit I've been a stalker the past few weeks. So cool to see pictures and read TRs! You see, we took an amazing trip in January 2012 and if my family thought I was a Disney nut beforehand, it certainly has exploded since I've gotten back.

Fast forward again to last night. I had a revelation if you will. Mom and I have been plotting since we've gotten back from the World on how to go again. (Which is totally nuts by the way. Our first trip was in May 2002. Our second was in May 2012. The two of us just don't want to wait another 10 years.....) I found a solution for us! How can we put some distance between our previous trip and our next one while still keeping the Disney magic alive and ensuring a better trip next time?

Answer: We can schedule the next trip as soon as we reach our goals!

Now I'm not sure if Mama is totally on board yet, but I certainly am! Add that to the fact that I just graduated...and with that comes a few, uh, cash bonuses from family and friends, and I've got enough to start saving for a trip.

So here goes. I WILL be going to Disney World when I see 145lbs. The day I see it, I am scheduling a trip!!!! (I may even take Mama with me....lol)

I'm going to Disney World in 55 pounds!

PS. Please follow, comment, read....just be supportive please!

As you know since you've done it before, it can be done! Just because it seems like such a long, long ways off, you can do it if you come up with a plan and stick to it. In the case, you fall off the wagon, don't stay there on the ground wallowing in the mud and mire. Jump back up and run to the wagon and climb back on.

As someone who has struggled with my weight for my entire life, I will tell you, EXERCISE! Find something that you enjoy. Without proper exercise, dieting is not maintainable for your entire life. You need to eat smart and offset everything with a consistent exercise plan. My journal is on this page to and you can read it for more info, but once I started running, I not only lost 50+ pounds, but I've kept it off for more than a year, and to be honest, I eat more now than when I was 50 pounds heavier! Of course, I run 30-40 miles a week, but I love doing it so it's not like I do it unwillingly! lol.

Best of luck on your journey. I'll be following your progress here.

Now that I have made this declaration to become healthier, I guess I need to make a plan. Plans are good. They keep me realistic...well, most of the time. I thrive on goals!

Introducing the Happy Duck "Plan" to being happy.

(I guess now would be a good time to explain the Happy Duck. My favorite character of the Fab Five is Donald. When we were at WDW, I wanted desperately to find a shirt with Donald on it. But they all looked like grumpy Donalds! I wanted a Happy Duck! And so the term was born.)

As I was saying, the

Happy Duck Plan to Being Happy

Beginning Goals

1. Run 3 times a week, beginning with the Couch to 5k program.
2. Walk all other days of the week.
3. Journal all food choices.
4. Keep calories within 1400-1700/day.

These are my starting goals. As I get further along and become more comfortable with these goals, I will add more, modify...etc.

I have also come up with a list of extrinsic rewards, because face it, I'm a lover of rewards.

200: START
195: Get ingredients for/make healthy dessert
190: $20 @ Thrift Store
185: 2nd Hunger Games book
180: Zip Lining Trip
175: 3rd Hunger Games book
170: $30 @ Disney Store!
165: Zoo trip
160: Rock Climbing
155: Horseback Riding
150: Get new vacation clothes!
145: DISNEY TRIP!

Good luck on your journey - I'm looking forward to following along. ;)

BTW - I love the idea of rewarding yourself as you reach small goals.:thumbsup2

- Laura

Welcome to WISH! Sounds like you have a lot of good goals and know what you're doing. It's great to reward yourself with a trip, and it'll be much more enjoyable when you're feeling great! Looking forward to following your journey. :)

In order to avoid the sudden drop in blood sugar that I'm sure would come with the immediate avoidance of all "bad" foods in my diet, I'm purposefully weaning myself into better eating patterns.

In other words, I had some cake and ice cream for dessert. :eek:

Now, in my defense (in addition to the eloquent statement above) it was a SMALL piece of cake, really microscopic.... and only one (and a half) scoops of ice cream. AND it was light ice cream.

Also in my defense, my birthday was recently, so I'm entitled.

Oh. Okay. I give up. I probably shouldn't have had it.

Other than that, my day was relatively good. Ready for the rundown?

Breakfast: Egg beater omelet (with onion, tomato, and one Laughing Cow cheese wedge) and a Blueberry Chobani yogurt
Lunch: Turkey Reuben and Coleslaw...light strawberry smoothie @ Starbucks
Snack: Frozen Strawberry Chobani (try it. Delicious!!)
Dinner: Progresso Chicken and Dumpling Light Soup, light cheese stick.
Snack: Cake and Ice Cream.

Now, lunch was a good accomplishment for me so early on. I was out to lunch with a friend at one of my favorite restaurants. This place has the greatest greasy food, large portions...the works.

Usually I get a soda. So today? I had a water. Okay, hurdle one done.

Now what to order? Big juicy burger? Okay. Think. Best meat in a restaurant? Some kind of turkey. Okay, find a sandwich with turkey. Enter turkey reuben. Now, I know that the dressing on said sandwich may not have been the best, but I also got it with another side of coleslaw (what can I say? I love it) and not fries, and had only the sandwich. Feeling good!

What do I notice after today? I'm heavy on the yogurt and fruit. I was also light on water today and need to make a conscious decision to drink more water. It's just good for you.

Going walking tomorrow morning!

Hi Happy Duck -- love how you set rewards for yourself as you reach your interim goals -- great idea! Keep up the good work.

Good luck on your journey - I'm looking forward to following along. ;)

BTW - I love the idea of rewarding yourself as you reach small goals.:thumbsup2

- Laura

Thanks Laura! I can always use more support!

Welcome! Good luck on your journey! Sounds interesting.

Thanks for stopping by Terapin. I hope it stays interesting!

Welcome to WISH! Sounds like you have a lot of good goals and know what you're doing. It's great to reward yourself with a trip, and it'll be much more enjoyable when you're feeling great! Looking forward to following your journey. :)

Thanks Snow. I can't wait to experience a trip healthy, happy, and not being shy of pictures!

Hi Happy Duck -- love how you set rewards for yourself as you reach your interim goals -- great idea! Keep up the good work.

Thanks otter! Now if only that first reward got here a little faster....... :)

Remember those four goals I had mentioned before? (Run/Walk/Journal/Count)

Well, I've been slowly acclimating to this life again. The last few times I've tried to jump back on the wagon, I ended up springing over the wagon and landing into a mud pit on the other side. So while I am conscious of achieving these goals, I'm allowing myself to slowly reintroduce them to my life.

Today I began working on #2. Walking. I took about a 30 minute walk, not too strenuous, but up some hills and definitely more exercise than I have done in recent weeks. But the walk wasn't the most exciting part. What was most exciting was that Mama came with me! She's not the easiest person to get out the door and most often turns me down when I ask to do something like this....but today she exclaimed,
"I want to go back to Disney World! I'm going!"

You see, when I made it known to her that a trip was going to be my reward at the end, she theorized, "Well, I'll just come along to celebrate with you!" Haha. Nice try, Mama. I told her she had to get healthy as well or she wasn't going. ;)

I'm journaling what I eat on another site, so I'm not always going to post everything on here. I'll give you highlights though!

Today's highlight was dessert. I'll call it Peanut Butter Fruit Crunch.

1/2 c. peanut butter cheerios
1/2 c. fiber one cereal
1/2 c. vanilla almond milk
5 large strawberries, chopped
1/2 c. blueberries

About 250 calories for a huge bowl of fruit, grain, and fiber. Yum!

The first time I went through a weight loss journey (about 3 years ago) I did it on my own. I was away at school and didn't have to consult anyone about my eating choices, when or where I exercised, etc. Now that I am home, it is much harder to be out there on my own. Yes, they wouldn't necessarily mind me making my own meals, disappearing for a run, and other new habits, but I would mind not feeling together with the family. Simple things like eating at the family table are important to me.

That's why it is FANTASTIC that I have a Partner in Crime! My Mama has jumped on board and we are full steam ahead. Now, she is not the easiest person to motivate....that is where I think a Disney World trip has come in handy.

Here are a few things that we are doing to make it better on us and our family:

We are getting into the habit of meal planning and cooking. This isn't to say we didn't meal plan or cook before, but the meals we did make were very simple with many 'pre-made' components (Hamburger Helper, anyone?) Now, we are making healthy recipes, such as wonton soup (yesterday's lunch) and homemade meatballs (tonight's dinner).

We are making a conscious effort to add movement, any movement, to our lives. Instead of chilling on the couch, we're getting up and playing Wii Fit. Instead of doing the escalator, we did the stairs.

We are going to be making self-reflection videos. We are each going to take some time talking to the camera about what we really think about ourselves, our goals, and other things that we would like to remember about how we feel right now. Then, we're also going to give some advice to our future selves. The night before we leave for Disney World, we'll pop in the DVDs, remember our past, and get ready to celebrate our future!!!

Swimming. We have a pool.....let's use it for exercise! (No, Mama! Laying on the swim tube doesn't count!)

And of course, keeping the Disney magic alive. We are finding ways to enjoy life while looking forward to that not so distant day when we will find ourselves on Main Street USA!

Yay for having a partner in crime! It's great that your mom is motivated, too. You two can keep each other going if times get tough. And I love the idea about the self-reflaction videos -- what a great way to see how far you will have come.

I love the feeling of being healthy. About a week after cutting junk out of the diet and adding some exercise, I begin to feel like I am on cloud nine! The trick is continuing this feeling for more than a few weeks....
Why is it so easy to be so motivated at the beginning and then become so lazy????

Some things that are helping so far, such as....

...having a reward to visualize.

It is so great to imagine myself walking down Main Street, light as a feather, and standing in front of that beautiful castle for a picture!

...having a supporter (and someone that I can support!)

It was a little difficult today. I got up all gung-ho about doing a pool exercise. (It has been so much fun...painful...but fun!) I wanted Mama to do it with me. I even offered to do something other than swimming. She says No, no, and no again. Then I basically confronted her point blank. If she was serious about doing this, she would join me, and support me as much as I am trying to support her. Bingo! Out she comes to the pool and we are working together!

...cooking and then enjoying new recipes.

All food is not created equal and is not enjoyed to the same level. I've found that eating mass amounts of junk cannot compare to eating small amounts of fresh food that I've prepared myself. The act of preparing and cooking adds to the food experience and the enjoyment.

...journaling on this site.

Is anybody reading? Does anybody care what I'm writing? Who cares. I'm creating a virtual record of this journey, to be shared with others, and my future self. It will be a great reflective tool, encouraging me even further in future maintenance.

Thanks for letting me ramble :)

Is anybody reading? Does anybody care what I'm writing? Who cares. I'm creating a virtual record of this journey, to be shared with others, and my future self. It will be a great reflective tool, encouraging me even further in future maintenance.

Great way to think about it. :thumbsup2 That's how I'm trying to look at it as well - I think of my WISH journal as a diary to my future self.

Keep up the great work. :)

- Laura

Great way to think about it. :thumbsup2 That's how I'm trying to look at it as well - I think of my WISH journal as a diary to my future self.

Keep up the great work. :)

- Laura

I keep thinking "Someday when I read through this I'll be, well, skinny!" :)

Yay for having a partner in crime! It's great that your mom is motivated, too. You two can keep each other going if times get tough. And I love the idea about the self-reflaction videos -- what a great way to see how far you will have come.

Haven't made the videos yet. Hopefully soon! Life got in the way :) But we're still helping each other out!

This past May has been quite dedicated to all things me. Not in a "look at me, I'm awesome" kind of way, but amazing things have been happening. Here's the run-down:

1. I finished student teaching.
2. I graduated Summa cum laude from college.
3. I had my 22nd birthday.
4. I got hired for a teaching job.

What's that????? OH YEAH! I just got hired for my first teaching job. It is a full time music teaching position at an amazing school. It is so amazing and such a blessing. AND even better (if it could get any better at this point) the school is only 15 minutes from home....so I get to live at home, earn money, and.....pay down student loans. Okay, most of that is really awesome.

It is great because Mom and I can continue reaching our goals together. This means more motivation and more accountability. Both wonderful things when weight loss is concerned.

As far as reaching my goals that I originally set (I DID tell you they were able to be modified!!!) I have been doing very well. I have stayed within the lower end of my calorie range consistently for the past few days (and that included a trip to Applebees!).

I have also been doing much more exercise. Now, the walking is too a minimum...but the swimming is on high! I have loved using the pool and it has loved beating me up.

It is quite an amazing sensation as you end a pool workout. In the pool, I feel okay. A bit tired, but generally just ducky. Then. I heave myself up the steps as gravity once again takes hold on my tired muscles. Wowza. What a great workout!!! (If by great workout you mean one that causes pain simply walking down the stairs again to my apartment.)

Keep going!!!

PS. Technical question. I have been having trouble with my weight loss ticker. Every time I try and update it, I end up having to make a whole new one. I get so far as to update the info and then it says "invalid login". Any way of remedying this?

A dream is a wish, your heart makes! :rolleyes1

That's been in my head all day! Yes. In little mouse voices!:laughing:

Eating wise, I have been excellent. I have been hitting my goals, the lower end of the calorie range, and have been feeling very good physically. I don't feel "sluggish" anymore, which is wonderful.

Exercise hasn't been quite as amazing. I was going strong up until a week ago, when the heavens opened and the rains (and some hail) came pouring down. I wasn't able to use the pool in the rain, and then after the rain it was COLD! BRRRR. Instead of being proactive and jumping right back into walking and running, I became suddenly very self-conscious and began making every excuse to avoid it. I don't know why I'm suddenly terrified to go running in my neighborhood. I've run before, at this size before, so why can't I get over it???? I did do a Pilates video one day, and I have been using the Wii Fit. They may not be high intensity exercises, but at least it's a bit of movement....

Tonight was a great confidence builder for me. We went out to Ruby Tuesday to celebrate my sister's last day of school. This restaurant is amazing for those who are calorie conscious because they have the calories listed for all of the entrees under 700 calories. I had also looked up the nutrition info ahead of time. After much deliberation....you should see me with a menu in a restaurant. You may as well watch grass grow.... I chose the every exciting water to drink (I actually love it and drink it like a fish), Chicken Bella (chicken breast topped with sauteed mushrooms and cheese), creamy mashed cauliflower (which was delicious!), and steamed broccoli. For a take-home dessert I had the berry and yogurt parfait. It was very sweet and had a delightful sugary, crunchy topping. Total? 618 calories! Not bad for a night out.

And then, after dinner we walked over to the nearby Disney store. Not bad, huh???? I LOVE going into the Disney store. There are 2 within 20 minutes either way of my house. Ohhhh so tempting. I did get two things tonight, neither of which I can use yet. I bought an adorable sleep shirt that I had Mama hide for me. I can have it back when I reach my "Disney store" goal! I also bought a Minnie Mouse shirt in a medium size. It "kind of" fits....meaning it will go over my head without ripping but should never, ever be worn in public. Tomorrow I'm going to take a picture of myself wearing it....and then compare it to the one I'll take while in Disney World!!!

I have a wee confession to make. :rolleyes1

When I first posted, I put down my starting weight at 200. That's what I thought it was.

Turns out, I was wrong.
I was up to 208. Ugh.

Instead of adding on another reward benchmark, I just left it as is....the thought being that once I fought through the first 10+ pounds, it would mean more to me. It has now been 3 weeks and I am overjoyed to say that I am down to 195.4. Woot!

At first, I was a bit disappointed at my progress. The first time I did this, I started off losing very quickly. It was just a combination of the amount of time I could devote to exercise and honestly not eating enough. But I figure, even if I lose just 5lbs a month, I will still make my goal in a year. Which is PERFECT because the most WONDERFUL, AMAZING, FANTASTIC discovery was made last night. :woohoo:

First, you should know that Mama and I are plotting to make our "reward" trip the most amazing trip we've ever had.....aka: more than just a few days if we can. That means that cost would be an issue.

As well as scheduling. With my new job as a school teacher, there are only so many times during the year that I can go on vacation....which happen to be the busiest times of the year. As a general rule, we try to avoid hot, sticky crowds as much as possible.

We've now come to the best part of this equation. The school I am working for doesn't begin their school year until a few days after Labor Day! Meaning, we can take advantage of a late-August trip. AND. We found out that "value season" begins around August 18th!!!! Hello 10 day POFQ trip!!!!

Now I just have to make it to 145lbs. By next May so that we have time to schedule the trip. Let's go!!!!!

Today I did the most unthinkable, unimaginable, basically unheard of thing EVER.

Are you ready?

I SIGNED UP FOR A HALF-MARATHON.

Ummmm.....sorry, I didn't quite understand what I just wrote.....

I. will be. running. 13.1. Miles.

13.1 miles.

Somehow writing it a lot doesn't make it any more real yet.

Yesterday, I got my sister out running. Just the first day of C25k. It was her first shot at really trying to exercise for the purpose of exercise. I must have done something right, because we're doing it again tomorrow!

After running with her, I realized how much I have missed it. THEN I started thinking....I should do the whole C25K program again. But THEN I realized, I can pretty well jump towards the end of the program and finish in just a few weeks. THEN I thought, well, if I'm going to run, go BIG or GO HOME!

THEN I was perusing the runDisney site (which I know I'll be doing for real someday.....) and found a training program for the Tinkerbell Half. I modified the dates so that I start next Tuesday and finish just in time for my race on October 20th!!!!

Whew. Crazy. Still can't believe it. But I'm gonna do it! Wish me lots of luck and (please) help me along the way!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter