Disney Dream - June 12, 2011

Travel safe! I just got back from a 3 mile walk with the doggies. Everyone here is still asleep. We should be on the road in a few hours!

hey everyone!!
We have been in Orlando 2 1/2 days. Went to Universal Studios then to Hollywood Studios today. We had a great time. It has been the usual hot and we didn't have any rain even though some was forcast. Maybe our luck will hold up for the cruise!
We are so looking foward to meeting everyone tomorrow!!

Cant believe after all this time, it finally cruise time:cool1:

safe travels for everyone:cloud9:

Arrived at the Radisson at the Port around 12:30pm today. Just relaxed for most of the afternoon. Enjoyed meeting Angela(KSFrogge) and Tracy this afternoon, and also Beth(Bairdbeth) and Taylor; and Corey(Cvac), Vic and Anna this evening. Can't wait to meet everyone else on the Dream tomorrow!!!:goodvibes

Driving down yesterday, I saw a car with Virginia tags that read "DCL DRMN" if that was anyone from our group, HELLO!

welcome back to the real world everyone...hope you had a great cruise...we did

Highlights

Seemed to be a lot more walk around characters...we ran into Dopey walking down a hallway, Minnie by the pool, Max by the mini golf, and best of all Mickey came into the Rainforest Room while we were sitting on the heated chairs and laid down beside us like any other passenger...it was so cool!

The food was really good and so plentiful...really enjoyed Cabana's for breakfast and lunch and Flo's was really good for a quick bite (really liked the chicken tenders...the pizza not so much)...LOVED the Royal Palace and the Until We Meet Again menu's but enjoyed Animator's Palace most...interacting with Crush was so cool

Senses Spa was AMAZING...we took the tour on the first day and ended up buying the Rainforest Room pass for the 2 of us and it was worth every penny (even though I only got to use it twice, my wife used it every day)...my MIL ended up winning a free facial on top of her scheduled treatment, my wife got a free scrub in addition to her treatment, my shave (my first spa treatment ever) was the most relaxing thing ever, and my DD9 was able to go to one of the ice cream mani/pedi parties they had that was open to kids to young to go to the Chill Spa

The shows were really outstanding...I missed the first part of Believe because of my spa treatment but enjoyed the half I saw, the Golden Mickey's were better than I remembered, and I thought Villains Tonight was really funny (and being a villains fan, my favorite)...the guy who played Hades/Genie was hilarious in both shows...we didn't bother with seeing the comedy act the first night but we did catch their adult only show after dinner one night and really enjoyed it

The cast members for the most part were outstanding...all of them were very helpful going out of their way to make a request happen, saying hi when they passed us in the hall, and remembering names. Our stateroom host was awesome...he was always around when we needed him but we never saw him when we didn't (if you know what i mean), and with 5 of us in the room did a great job of making up the room/turning it down and keeping us stocked with towels. soap. etc

AquaDuck=really fun

Lowlights

All my lowlights are things that didn't wow me...they aren't really bad and didn't warrant complaints to anyone...just things that didn't seem up to par

Our servers at dinner weren't spectacular...they weren't bad and didn't warrant a conversation with the head server, it was just several little things throughout the cruise that were irritating (not having sweetener on the table when 3 of us ordered tea every night, forgetting a drink/mixing up drinks)...it was also a little disorganized as our assistant server on the 1st night became our server on the 2nd night because our server had to help out somewhere else and then on the 3rd night out server came back but we kept the asst server from the 2nd night and our original asst server was assigned to some other tables (but he still came back and checked on us every night and even made a bed out of chairs for DD3 when she fell asleep one night so we wouldn't have to hold her...we made sure to give him a nice cash tip the last night even though he wasn't assigned to us anymore since he was with us for two nights...I also made sure to leave him a good comment)...the food was really good...usually needed some salt to really make it kick but I didn't have any real misses except the duck consomme...

The Dream specific merchandise seemed to be lacking...I didn't want generic DCL (or worse generic Disney) items, I wanted Dream merchandise...we found a few things in the end but nothing ever caught my eye that said BUY ME! (well anything that was in my budget)

Nemo's Reef was really cool and DD3 loved it, but they are going to have to so something about Mr' Ray's slide in dry dock because we saw too many kids getting hurt on it as they hit the end and either shot off and hit their knees or face planted (and they were sitting correctly) and wouldn't allow ours to go on it...Disney's solution of putting a mat there is a fail as it kept sliding all over the place and wasn't much of a cushion...it needs to be extended all the way to the ground or making the landing area a really soft surface

Loved all the elevators...much better than on the Wonder...but took a while to figure out which ones traveled to which levels and having to walk thru Cabanas to get to the pool deck was weird...I learned a few tips about navigating the ship on the Art of the Theme Ship tour, but since I didn't go on it until 3pm on the last day it didn't help much at that point

Pirate Party was ok, but I enjoyed the one one the Wonder better...didn't try the buffet that night so can't comment on that

Enchanted Garden as a buffet is a bad idea...after eating our embarkation lunch there and then seeing what was in Cabana's for their lunch we made a bad choice....same with breakfast when we decided to eat at EG for breakfast instead of Cabana's one morning...took 15 minutes to get thru the line and there weren't any specialty items that I could tell that we couldn't have gotten up on deck 11

Such a bummer to be home:sad1:

I miss Disney.... and not just the ship, the parks too:cloud9:

We're going to order pizza and wings for dinner tonight (because we're not ready to go back to cooking) and sit down with some alcoholic drink put
into our souvenir Disney drink of the day glasses and look at our pics and videos again:goodvibes

Yall are not gonna believe this but we missed our train yesterday due to the humogous thunderstorm. We were stuck at downtown disney. So we had to re schedule our train ride for today which we are on right now. So we got hotel and got good nights sleep. Since train didnt leave till 7 we got up and did some non disney stuff. Went to flea market. Outlet stores. And florida mall. It was only an extra $60 to get the train for today so not too bad. We also had some complaints on the dream but i will post about that later. Overall we had a wonderful time and it was so much fun running into all the dis ers. And doing the FE. Will post more about our experience later.

We finally made it home last night about 6:00. Took us 23 hours of driving. We got stuck in Atlanta for 3 hours on Friday due to traffic and the bad thunderstorms. Then we hit more really bad weather in TN/KY yesterday. Unfortunately I started sneezing as soon as we got off the ship and by Friday afternoon it was apparent that I was really sick. DH had to do almost all of that driving. I am very sick - I must have picked up some nasty cold while on the ship. I hope the rest of my family does not come down with it next. I have to go to work tomorrow and being so sick it going to make things so much harder.

Over all we had a great time although we did have a few issues. We ended up in the med center on Wed morning (sea day) with our 6 year old daughter. She was going into the bathroom to brush her teeth. When she went to shut the door she had her thumb on the hinge side of the door and closed the door on her thumb. She started screaming of course and we had other passengers running down the hall to find out what happened. Her thumb looked really bad so we rushed her downstairs. She screamed for about an hour. Her thumb looks horrific but they took x-rays and said it was not broken. We got her bandaged up and took her back to the stateroom to rest. By that afternoon after some rest and pain meds she was doing better so we did a few things on the ship. However with the injury it meant no swimming for her and that was the night we had planned to swim and ride the Aquaduck. She sat by the pool and watched Lady and the Tramp on the big screen while her brother swam and rode the Duck but she was sad. Then on our 2nd CC day she and I just stayed on the ship. She could not play in the water or in the sand really well so she did not want to get off. DH and DS went to the island while we stayed on board and played several rounds of the detective game and rested in our stateroom. I was bummed to miss our 2nd day at CC but it could not be helped. At least we had a great first day.

Hello Fellow Cruisers!!! :banana:

We drove straight through on Friday...said good bye to our family and was on the road by 11. Missed all storms and had clear sailing the whole way. The only delay we had was a stop for food and fuel. There was a Wendy's, so I ran in..because the drive thru was long..but the line inside was long too. Took about 30 mins for 2 sandwiches and a frosty? We were home by midnight and in bed by 1230. the dogs are back from the kennel, I have one more load of wash to do. The suitcases are in the attic again and everything but the souveniers are put away. We also made a run to Sam's Club for a few groceries. Have to check out the Kroger ad to see if there's anything more we need.

As for the cruise itself.... I am SO happy I got to meet some of you!! SO sad that I didn't get to meet ALL of you!! The room tour was amazing! We are REALLY loving the porthole rooms! I also found out...for those of you that went on the tour...the room to the left of us, with the HUGE balconey...it is NOT an accessible room! They were suppose to be initially, but didn't meet ALL the requirements! We peeked in on the last day. It is a HUGE room!!! There are 6 rooms that are the same...I think they are decks 6,7 and 8...or 7,8 9?? I'd have to look at the chart again. On the 2 back corners. We learned this when we rebooked. She said they are the first rooms to go. We may just have to try for one of those!!

Our waitstaff was wonderful!! Really enjoyed Zacky and Jessica! Wish we could have brought them home with us! LOL All the food was wonderful! I got to talk to Crush at Animators! That was cool!! And I can say that inspite of the fact that ate everything in sight, I still lost 5 pounds over the 2 weeks! I guess walking really does help! I just wish I enjoyed exercising as much as I enjoy eating!

Our room steward was less than wonderful. If he was standing next to me right now, I would not be able to tell you who he was. On the first Castaway Cay day, the boys went back to the ship at 1. We got back about 3. The room was not made up. hhmmm. Then, as we always do, we hung our towels after using them. I understand that they have the hang your towel card in the bath, BUT after 2 days and 3 showers each, I finally threw them in the tub. Our other stewards always just changed the towels. On our sea day, I had to pad down the hall in my swimsuit to find him so I could get more shampoo...Steve had thrown the empty in the trash that morning. And on our last Castaway Cay day, Steve had to pad down the hall in his swim suit as I was in the shower with no soap! These are things that I expect to receive without asking, if I am to receive excellent service. I marked the card as Just Okay. Yes, he cleaned the room, Yes, there was turn down service, Yes, we had towel animals, but I just wasn't feeling the magic. Now, the Aunts, they were impressed with their steward. He was there to open the door for them, kept them with fresh towels and toiletries. But wasn't annoying or being a creeper either.

As a whole, we LOVED the Dream. Never felt any more crowded than the Wonder or Magic. Never had to wait in any long lines....I take that back. the family photo on the staircase took about 45 mins. The AquaDuck line was a 20 mins wait. That was fun to ride too!!! We only did it once, but that's because I didn't want to wait again. Enjoyed the Quiet Cove hot tub and pool too! The boys LOVED the Vibe and spent a ton of time there!

Oh! Our story on Connor...age 14. He and Colton both enjoyed the Vibe, but hung with different people. The Vibe closed at 2am. Tuesday night Colton came right back to the room. Connor did not. Colton said he didn't know where he was. We doze back off. 3 am, we wake up, still no Connor. Panic starts to bubble up. So Steve dresses and heads to hunt for him. He stopped at Guest Services. They put out an APB. Steve comes back to the room. It's now about 330. We wake Colton, tell him how to call us on the wave phones. I get dressed. The phone rings. It's guest services, they found Connor, walking through Shutters....he said he was on the way home. Steve went and got him. By 4am, we were all back in bed. It was a bit scary there for a while. All I kept thinking is, there's 4000 people on this ship that I don't know....what if???? Steve did mention that there were SO many crew members crawling the ship cleaning, straightening, painting, etc, that it was pretty safe, even at that hour. but still....

So, we are booked for another cruise, but we have to wait for the 2013 dates to come out. We are planning on June, for Colton's graduation. Gosh, it seems like he was just born and here we are booking a graduation cruise!! Crazzy!!!

Going to try and upload some photos later today...not sure what our plans are though!!

Happy Father's Day to all the Dads!!!

Double Dippin' I got the post vacation blues Dreamer!
Michele :cloud9:

Welcome back to everyone who is home now!

Happy Father's Day to all the Dads!

We had such a great time on the Dream. Of course we can't wait to go again. Those plans are tba!

It was so nice to meet many of you at the first day meet on deck 13, and Kristi and Teresa at the Aloha Isle mini meet. I'll post that picture soon. I am sorry I missed the room tour! The wine tasting event ran an hour late! I hear the large porthole rooms were really nice.

And thank you to all the sorcerror (how hard is that to spell) Mickey FE participants. It was amazing, all of your thoughtful gifts. A shout out to the personalized picture mat and minispeakers...I will have fun looking at all the other FE stuff and using it. Takes the edge off being home!

Michele, I'm glad I at least met you the first day, never saw you after that! Glad to hear you had a great time. And I have to give you kudos for being
unpacked! :worship: Here is my situation: I'm looking at 6 open suitcases with all the "good stuff" taken out (FE gifts, souvenirs, t shirts, pins, toiletries) and then a mish mash of dirty laundry, shoes and beach gear all spread out on the family room floor. Every morning I say, I am going to unpack this stuff ...as soon as I rest! Spent much of the afternoon starting laundry, uploading photos and missing "my staff" - waiters Sergio and Then, and room host Brian...all of whom ROCKED MY WORLD :love::love::love:
with their great service!

We are headed out to the drive in movie tonight to cap off the Father's day
celebration. Safe travels and fun end of vacation to those still there. For the
rest of us, there are adult beverages!!! :)

Such a bummer to be home:sad1:

I miss Disney.... and not just the ship, the parks too:cloud9:

We're going to order pizza and wings for dinner tonight (because we're not ready to go back to cooking) and sit down with some alcoholic drink put
into our souvenir Disney drink of the day glasses and look at our pics and videos again:goodvibes

I agree! :sad1: It's so GREEN here, where is the BLUE sea and the sun! I have
only cooked two meals so far, breakfast doesn't count. Getting some Chinese food tonight. Tomorrow morning wake up call for driving DS to sports practice, 7:15 am. Then work and a new software package to learn. Well, if it gets me on another cruise...

Looking forward though to everyone posting their favorite photos from the cruise or pre or post park trips!

I agree! :sad1: It's so GREEN here, where is the BLUE sea and the sun! I have
only cooked two meals so far, breakfast doesn't count. Getting some Chinese food tonight. Tomorrow morning wake up call for driving DS to sports practice, 7:15 am. Then work and a new software package to learn. Well, if it gets me on another cruise...

Looking forward though to everyone posting their favorite photos from the cruise or pre or post park trips!

It was great to meet you and Charles, Irene! We had a wonderful time with y'all in Skyline!:goodvibes

We really miss the Dream already!! We will not be re-booking for awhile. With both boys in college now, major vacations are put on hold.
We really enjoyed meeting those we were able to!
Rose, tell Sean we all enjoyed talking with him. You should be very proud! He is a very bright and pleasant young man.
Aaron wanted me to PM you and give you his cell in case Sean wants to contact him. Or Nathan or Melissa.

Didn't we have great weather guys!! It was amazing! A storm was coming in just as we were getting ready to take off. They delayed take off in order for it to pass.

Bon voyage! Hope to see ya'll on a future cruise!

It was great to meet you and Charles, Irene! We had a wonderful time with y'all in Skyline!:goodvibes

Yes, it sure was fun! Here we are in the Skyline lounge:

DSC09500_2.jpg

Dis ladies in the front row:
Disgrits, KSFrogge, Principessa and Scouter
The significant others behind us are not lined up correctly, fyi :rotfl:

Is anyone going to do a TR? I plan to start one in the next couple of days.

We had some issues with our stateroom host also. Agreeing with another post, I could not even tell you what our host's name was! He was not friendly or personable at all.

I had this major issue upon arriving at our stateroom: I had ordered the birthday celebration package for my DD, where they decorate your room and have a birthday cake there waiting. Well, here I go, with my camcorder in hand, ready to capture a fun moment, and my door will not open! The stateroom host was right there, so we got him to try to "help", but to no avail. He "called" someone (maintanance??), and just walked off. So we're standing there for about another 15 minutes, then I decide to go to guest services to get some help. He's around the corner and says "Did you not get the door to work?" I'm thinking Well, duh, wasn't you supposed to call for help? So he calls for help again, and someone arrives and gets it open. Well, by then both workers are just standing there, while I'm trying to get this moment caught on video.

And the worse part of this is: as the stateroom host was trying to get the door open by just shoving it, he kept saying (think of the most ghetto voice ever) "What the hellllllll??????" OK, by now I am shocked at this non-Disney moment.

So after this incident with the door, we never interacted with the stateroom host at all, just passed by him a couple times. And I did report this situation on the comment card at the end of the cruise.

OK, can you stand to hear another complaint about him???
I had dropped a couple things off to be signed for DD's birthday to be "from" the characters. Well, on the last night of the cruise, we came out of the room, and he hands the bags to DD and says "Here".
So I try to snatch it out of her hand before she notices what it is. I just told her it was some of my paperwork.

The stateroom was always cleaned but I had to always ask for more toiletries.
We kept running out of toilet paper. Once I had to just grab some off the cart, and one time we totally ran out, and I had to get the kleenex-tissue paper out & use that.

This is a VERY different experince than we had on the Wonder. Our stateroom host there was terrific!!!!

I just had to tell ya'll about him.

So, here's a couple pics from our Dis mini meet:

This is from Magic Kingdom at our Dole Whip meet. I had never even tried a dole whip from any of our trips to MK, and now ya'll have me loving those things!! We stopped twice again during the day for more!!!!

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn102/***********/16thBirthdayWDW2011110.jpg

This is from our CI&S meet at Port Canaveral:

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn102/***********/16thBirthdayWDW2011295.jpg

And here's the two things I got signatures on:
1. A photo matte, that I added the "Sweet 16" stickers to.
2. Birthday card. I had talked with someone on here (can't remember who), but we couldn't find out if they'd do signatures on a greeting card. But they signed the one I turned in.

I was so happy with the way they turned out.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn102/***********/signaturesDCL002.jpg

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn102/***********/signaturesDCL003.jpg

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn102/***********/signaturesDCL004.jpg

And for anyone that read my posts about my weight loss, today I weighed, and I only gained 2 pounds during this trip!!
I expected to gain at least 5-6. I was surprised since we pigged out on the cruise and eating out while at WDW & Port Canaveral.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter