Disney Genie+ and ILL$ Details & FAQ - Launches 10/19 at WDW, Paid "FastPass" at WDW and Disneyland (date TBD)

At this point, I just to know two things. When exactly is this starting? And will it be utilized during Extended Hours or Early Entry? I would think not since FP was not used then, nor was it really necessary.

I would doubt that it will. I also see the big benefit being for people there on the Early Entry, since you can ride the headliners without paying for them. Same with Extended hours. If you do want to get Genie+, with Early Entry you are already right in the park for whatever you want to jump on first as well.

At this point, I just to know two things. When exactly is this starting? And will it be utilized during Extended Hours or Early Entry? I would think not since FP was not used then, nor was it really necessary.

No, it will not be available during those hours.

18. Will Genie+ and Individual Attraction purchases be available during Extended Evening Hours and Early Entry for Walt Disney World Resort hotel guests?
No, only standby lines will be in use during these times.

Rise of the Resistance is not our fault that there is high demand that they now need to charge us for it. It is Disney's fault that the ride breaks down all the time, that they didn't build the ride with sufficient ride capacity (it generally runs at around ~1500 guests per hour when it doesn't break down) - Disney knew this would be a hugely popular ride - they could have built it with a higher capacity in mind. Some older rides have a ride capacity of 2000 guests per hour or even 3000+ (PeopleMover can handle 3600 guests per hour).

Disney is now making us pay because their rides do not have sufficient capacity per hour for the number of guests they're allowing in the park. Rather than trying to solve their problem of park overcrowding, they're trying to profit off of their issues with crowd control.

Less value for more money, and increased profits at the expense of Guest Satisfaction, that is Disney's new normal. If customers continue to be happy with this model - they will continue to come up with more ideas to nickel and dime customers. At some point - maybe, it will blow up in their faces and they'll lose customer trust and Disney's reputation will be tarnished - and maybe, just maybe - they'll go back to being a customer first company. Or maybe we'll just continue to accept paying for microtransactions for things that were previously free.

None of those design issues are our fault. What is our fault is that when Disney asks us to pay these additional prices, that we DO IT. There are many people willing to do so. If there weren't, they couldn't charge it.

How does park hopping work with G+?

Could I do a few rides in MK, then refresh and get myself a Living with the Land (ultimate headliner attraction) pass on the ride over, or do I have to boop into EPCOT first?

None of those design issues are our fault. What is our fault is that when Disney asks us to pay these additional prices, that we DO IT. There are many people willing to do so. If there weren't, they couldn't charge it.

While I tend to agree with you there will be demand for it - technically that remains to be seen. It will be interesting to see if there is any kind of backlash so many perks have been taken away. Maybe none at all - and instead what we'll see is more of these microtransactions occurring. I could see them doing a premium dining experience next where you pay extra to get into a hard to reserve restaurant like Be Our Guest at MK.

Could I do a few rides in MK, then refresh and get myself a Living with the Land (ultimate headliner attraction) pass on the ride over, or do I have to boop into EPCOT first?

Yes you can reserve a ride for a different park - the reservation must be after 2pm though obviously and then hop over there.

Some of the park hopping may depend on what the return window ends up being. If it's a shorter window like 1 hr, they may allow you to view, but not select other parks attractions until you tap in. Also remains to be seen how this will play with the 2PM park hopping. While that rule is in place, I guess it's a fair assumption that you wouldn't be able to make any G+ selections outside your reserved park until ~ 2PM?

So if G+ selections sell out fast at other parks (and they aren't offered in blocks as the day goes on), do you hop to a park that has long waits and no G+ availability?

If G+ is showing at 10AM a return time past 2PM in another park, would you be able to select it?

We'll need to watch for the park hopping and G+ release window details

While I tend to agree with you there will be demand for it - technically that remains to be seen. It will be interesting to see if there is any kind of backlash so many perks have been taken away. Maybe none at all - and instead what we'll see is more of these microtransactions occurring. I could see them doing a premium dining experience next where you pay extra to get into a hard to reserve restaurant like Be Our Guest at MK.

Well, true, we'll see, but market trends in the resort space make it look like that will easily be the case. Demand is high and add to that a rabid Disney fan-base and it certainly tracks for me.

For me the issue isn’t really the price increase; I understand Disney is a business and it needs to maximize its profit. The issue to me is how they are choosing to increase revenue. They have booked packages with people for months now when Disney knew they would have an upcharge for fastpass. We won’t know for sure how this will change things until we get some data but I’m sure we can all agree the guest experience for those who don’t buy will be worse then it would be if there was no genie plus. This means Disney had been selling product for months they knew would have a baked in up charge to actually experience what was sold.

Disney use to be a product that offers great service so people are happy and willing to pay premium price. Now their business model seems to be to cut benefits and add fees in hope customer doesn’t notice the lost value/extra costs and continue to spend. This in my mind puts them into the same category as the stereotypical cable companies that quote one price, charge more when undisclosed fees come in, and charge even more when the “promo” expires and they hope you don’t notice and call to renew promo (I’m looking at you Comcast).

If Disney wants their reputation to be on par with some of the lowest rated companies for customer satisfaction they are welcome to do that but I don’t think it’s a strong long term strategy. I used to be the one friends and family reach out to in order to help plan trip and I would be glad to talk the benefits of Disney and how much I love it. Now my recommendations are to delay trips until we see how this recalibrates or if they have to go now stay offsite and consider checking out universal instead.

I do not think Disney Genie was created for the once-in-a-lifetime family. Josh D'Amara is even quoted as saying it's designed for the Disney superfan. Which I imagine are every year to multiple times a year people. All its doing is making us super fans more upset. From Insidethemagic.net "As D’Amaro said, the Disney Genie will provide a suite of products that will make the experience better and is operating in the best interest of Disney’s “super fans”.
When this was first announced a few days ago I thought it would just lead me to sell my DVC and never stay on site again. But now, the more I digest how terrible this system is, I’m thinking I’ll just stop taking my family to Disney. There are plenty of other fun vacation options.

While you have valid points, one thing you have incorrect is that Disney is out of their minds. The fact is, the demand is so high right now that people will pay for this system. People pay for similar services at other parks. People will show up in droves and pay 20 bucks to ride Rise of the Resistance. They could sell every boarding gorup every day at that price in seconds. That is our fault, not theirs. It definitely stinks for the consumer, but they are hardly out of their minds.

until demand goes away…then what?

This huge cash infusion and people’s willingness to pay more for less is transitory. Much like the housing market.

it’s simply not sustainable. At some point something will have to give.

give it a few years and the jig will be up

This huge cash infusion and people’s willingness to pay more for less is transitory. Much like the housing market.

The tourism industry and Disney attendance tanked after 9/11, and Disney adapted with all sorts of discounts and offers. There's no reason Disney shouldn't milk the current demand like everyone else in their market. It may not be sustainable, but Disney will adapt and change the business model if needed just like they did 20 years ago.

I don't buy that Disney will lose angry guests for life ... throw some free dining at them and other discounts and they'll come back in droves

Well, when demand changes, then Disney will make adjsutments. Disney might be a bit slow on the uptake with changing it, but they will. Or the program will continue to have a fee, but they will include it in more packages, etc. thus mitigating the cost. Nothing is permanent - there is no reason it can't change after a few years.

Since this is a paid FP+ system, they should just go ahead and make it pay in advance and allow guests to pick their 3 FP's like before, they can call it anything they want but it's still paid FP's, they can spin it as a convenience but we all know it will be a PITA, ...it would go a long way to ease the dissatisfaction now and going forward.

Unless...

What if Disney has found the perfect balance for those to get faster access and to keep the standby lines moving properly.

What if... it works?

What if... it does create a better park experience for all?

I truly hope you're right, but I'm not expecting that to be the case. We'll see though - I'd be happy to be wrong :)

Despite being unhappy about this change and the loss of all the other perks, I'm not jumping ship just yet - going to give it a chance and see what things are like first before I make any decisions.

No, it will not be available during those hours.

18. Will Genie+ and Individual Attraction purchases be available during Extended Evening Hours and Early Entry for Walt Disney World Resort hotel guests?
No, only standby lines will be in use during these times.

Does this mean there will be standby for REMY?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter