• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Genie+ and ILL$ Details & FAQ - Launches 10/19 at WDW, Paid "FastPass" at WDW and Disneyland (date TBD)

If everyone who is angry about this actually doesn't come again, then Disney has gotten what they want, fewer crowds. I actually think it was a lot better than I predicted. However, I am a cynical optimist, expect the worst but hope for the best. This wasn't remotely the worst nor the best. Meh is OK.

Disney doesn't want fewer crowds...they want fewer people entering their parks who don't make a "minimum spend" (like an AP) - if they get the minimum spend, they'll stuff those parks like a turkey on Thanksgiving...

We did 2 weeks in January/February this year. I can only make the trip ever 2-3 years, and I will only do Fort Wilderness (I have a motorhome and LOVE the fort). I went for the first time in 1978, and love the magic. But, at the end of our last trip, I was wondering if that was the last visit - My wife and I are now in our 60's and the trip takes a lot out of us. Plus, the wife wants to go other places, and I still work so its not easy to take multiple week-long+ vacations. So, like I said, we were not certain if we were going back. But, now with the pay-for-what-used-to-be-free fastpass system, along with the constantly rising ticket prices and campground rates, I think I am at the point where the return for what I pay just isnt worth it anymore. So, I think I am done, which makes me feel sad and old.

The is one caveat - I still want to take a RV trip across the country when I retire, and would love to hit DLR (never been there).

I'm wondering if when they start selling AP's again if there will be some option to add on Genie + to the DVC Gold AP. That would be interesting.

Disney has said currently there will not be an AP option for Genie+ at WDW and Disneyland. With Magickey being sold at Disneyland next week, you would think if this was an option they would have announced it when they announced Genie+. Disneyland also had a Maxpass Annual option for APs before the shutdown.

Disney did say they will look at other offerings for Genie+ in the future though - so maybe its possible, but I suspect they will wait until after demand for the 50th dies down, right now they believe they have a captive audience who will pay anything. If demand starts to die down, I can see them offering discounts or promotions to entice people to use Genie+ including an AP option - whether they will restrict it to only being addable at renewal time or when you get a new AP - or if they will allow for a prorated option for existing APs at WDW, I don't know.

Disney has said currently there will not be an AP option for Genie+ at WDW and Disneyland. With Magickey being sold at Disneyland next week, you would think if this was an option they would have announced it when they announced Genie+. Disneyland also had a Maxpass Annual option for APs before the shutdown.

Disney did say they will look at other offerings for Genie+ in the future though - so maybe its possible, but I suspect they will wait until after demand for the 50th dies down, right now they believe they have a captive audience who will pay anything. If demand starts to die down, I can see them offering discounts or promotions to entice people to use Genie+ including an AP option - whether they will restrict it to only being addable at renewal time or when you get a new AP - or if they will allow for a prorated option for existing APs at WDW, I don't know.

You're probably right. But a girl can hope! (or just be delusional :rolleyes1)

Maybe this has been asked/answered already (read about half of this thread and didn't see it)...

If you pay for a LL attraction, is your window to claim your spot for the day the same as Genie+? Meaning you need to be a resort guest at 7am or in the park at open? If so, what happens if you paid for your LL, stay off site and don't get to the park until 11am? Are you going to have issues getting a spot? I'd be upset to pay for a ride and not get on it till late at night because I didn't want to drag my family out of bed at dawn.

Maybe this has been asked/answered already (read about half of this thread and didn't see it)...

If you pay for a LL attraction, is your window to claim your spot for the day the same as Genie+? Meaning you need to be a resort guest at 7am or in the park at open? If so, what happens if you paid for your LL, stay off site and don't get to the park until 11am? Are you going to have issues getting a spot? I'd be upset to pay for a ride and not get on it till late at night because I didn't want to drag my family out of bed at dawn.

For Genie+ for everyone it is 7am to get your first Lightning Pass. For the individual attraction Lightning Lane passes, if you're staying on site, you can get the pass starting at 7am, if you're not you can request one when the park opens - I do not believe you need to be in the park to do so, but I'm not 100% sure.

I'm sure you'll be able to see available times before you pay for it.

Disney is out of there f**ken minds…this is a classic example of executives getting ahold of a product and squeezing every last penny out of it until their is nothing left.

And anyone who says they see value in this garbage can spare me the lecture.

reality is Disney isn’t offering some new unique experience. They are recycling the same 30 year old attractions that I’ve been on a million times. Nothing like putting lipstick on a pig. Nickel and diming everyone to death. It’s disgusting.

I’m a diehard Disney fan, visiting 6-7 times in the last 2-3 years; spending tens of thousands of dollars. I make well into the six figures, no kids, no mortgage, no bills. Im the quintessential Disney guest to spend money but enough is enough.

I’d have more respect for them if they came out and were honest. Something like…”hey guest experiences hinge heavily on park attendance. From here on out we are cutting attendance but to offset the loss we are raising prices.”

Atleast I’d get it…and probably be willing to pay for it. Disney has lost me here. This is pure and utter garbage.

The hilarious part is even with Disney + as an additional revenue stream there stock still struggles to surpass pre covid ATH’s.

good luck cheapek

I agree, I think I'd be happier with all of the old perks including FP+ and paying more for my AP and having Disney charge more for tickets and limiting capacity using Park Pass to lets say 50% or something. If they want to still offer a cheaper price sometimes, make some days where the parks are less busy cheaper or something.

I'm less happy with keeping the parks at max capacity and then forcing people to pay extra to wait less - but it will probably be successful and then what will the next up charge be? A paid service that allows you to book ADRs last minute?

But wasn't that the same with FP+? We had several times where the ADR and what was available for FP in advance didn't work. So, we had to skip. I get this is different but I think some people faced those choices with FP+ as well.

Somewhat, but we always had our ADRs booked at 180, and when FPs were available at 60 days, I was able to get the FPs we wanted, and easily work around the ADRs

according to this video at the 43 second mark there is no height requirement for smugglers run 🙄

it also has slinky at the 43 second mark to say it’s included in genie plus

Disney Genie FAQs:

19. Do I have to purchase Genie+ for the entire length of my trip?
If purchased as part of a vacation package ahead of your visit, Genie+ is purchased for the entire length of the stay at $15 per ticket per day.
If not purchased ahead of time, Genie+ can be added on a day-by-day basis.

Thank you. I've been reading through wondering this.

Do you, or anyone else know if it is something we can just purchase day of, from our app? This may be answered further into the thread - hopefully.

I think the price point is too low and this won’t really decrease wait times unless they really hold back stand by and let the lightening guests through.

I mean a Mickey pretzel and soda cost more than a “skip the line pass”. It just seems too good to be true that the lightening pass will function in the same way as fast pass did for those rides that are included in the base price. That being said I’d rather it not exist at all.

Thank you. I've been reading through wondering this.

Do you, or anyone else know if it is something we can just purchase day of, from our app? This may be answered further into the thread - hopefully.

That is exactly how it will work - you purchase it day of in the app or you purchase it in advance for your entire trip.

is anyone else concerned that no one is going to want to shell out the money for this new system that is outrageous mind you, causing standby lines to be unbelievably long. Virtually wasting your day in the parks by standing in line? I understand that Disney is a business, who has shareholders to produce profit margins, however boxing your loyal consumers into a corner to buy something just seems gross.

is anyone else concerned that no one is going to want to shell out the money for this new system that is outrageous mind you, causing standby lines to be unbelievably long. Virtually wasting your day in the parks by standing in line? I understand that Disney is a business, who has shareholders to produce profit margins, however boxing your loyal consumers into a corner to buy something just seems gross.
I would imagine the majority of people are going to buy it. Especially those who only once or twice a lifetime.

I apologize if I'm asking very basic questions. I've not been to WDW since 2013 - so even FP+ was over my head.

I watched a few videos and read through this thread. . .but, just want to be clear (or maybe just a tad clearer).

Genie+ is like FP+ for most rides. But it does exclude a few headliners. The headliners that are excluded are an extra charge - and you are limited to 2 a day, not 2 per park. And while there are a few exception rides are known, most are guesses right now.

Genie+ is an add on charge - $15/pp per day. So not everyone will opt for it. So, you will use the former FP+ lanes if you bought the Genie+, or the standby line if you didn't. So there will still be some offset to the long lines.

But, unlike Universal's express pass- you can't just hit a ride in whatever order you choose. You have to utilize the Genie+ app to know which rides you can enter the Lightening pass line next? So, basically you will get off a ride, hit the app and it will tell you which ride you can go to next utilizing the LP line based on your ride selection earlier in the day + what the app shows as wait times, etc. So, you won't choose the order you ride, the app will - if you want to utilize the LP lines?

Disney is out of there f**ken minds…this is a classic example of executives getting ahold of a product and squeezing every last penny out of it until their is nothing left.

And anyone who says they see value in this garbage can spare me the lecture.

reality is Disney isn’t offering some new unique experience. They are recycling the same 30 year old attractions that I’ve been on a million times. Nothing like putting lipstick on a pig. Nickel and diming everyone to death. It’s disgusting.

I’m a diehard Disney fan, visiting 6-7 times in the last 2-3 years; spending tens of thousands of dollars. I make well into the six figures, no kids, no mortgage, no bills. Im the quintessential Disney guest to spend money but enough is enough.

I’d have more respect for them if they came out and were honest. Something like…”hey guest experiences hinge heavily on park attendance. From here on out we are cutting attendance but to offset the loss we are raising prices.”

Atleast I’d get it…and probably be willing to pay for it. Disney has lost me here. This is pure and utter garbage.

The hilarious part is even with Disney + as an additional revenue stream there stock still struggles to surpass pre covid ATH’s.

good luck cheapek
Agreed. We could afford to pay for Genie +, for the individually priced rides. Heck, we could afford to pay for VIP tours. The point is, we won’t. The value is not there. Pricing Space Mountain individually—a 46 year old coaster—is absurd. I was committed to buying APs every other year for our family of five. We got good value out of them. FP+, coupled with the Aps and long dvc trips, allowed us to ride everything without a wait. Now in addition to their exorbitant AP rates, they want me to fork over more every time I enter a park, times five! Not going to happen. I’ll see what I do going forward—if we sell dvc or just alter our trips significantly. But Disney Genie will not get one penny out of our family. I suspect my spending will actually drop dramatically.

Actually, no one buying this would be a non-issue for standby lines, potentially even a positive. The bigger risk for standby lines (for those that don't purchase G+) will be if most people buy them and the fast pass lines are busier than they were with FP+, resulting in the standby line watching even more fast passers walk right by then ever before.

This dynamic will be interesting to watch play out. If I have my guess, the lines will look similar to when it was FP+. Disney isn't stupid, and my guess is they landed on this price point to get guests pretty much the same experience as before, but get paid for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter