Disney needs to address this with pre-payments on their resorts

Could be. You might have better luck with your question on the Disneyland forum? This thread is in the Disney World resorts section so you may end up with answers that don't match up here.

I don't have a question. All reservations are made under "The Walt Disney Travel Company." I was just sharing my frustration at bring unable to cancel room only reservations online.

when you call to make a payment, it's all through the automated system. It really is not a problem and doesn't put you into a queue as a "live" call would. It's not hard.
It is time consuming and only sometimes have they allowed me to use the automated system. You know what shouldn't be hard??...Disney enabling online payments for both packages and resorts.

A decade ago, you had the option of paying on line for both packages and room only. Then somewhere around 2013/14, they removed the option for room only, forcing you to call in. No clue as to why. It's really annoying

Steve
I still remember having to be on hold forever forDisneyland Reservations with landline paying long distance fees because Disney didn’t have
#1- 800 call free # Sometimes it seems Disney does t care cause they know they don’t have to… and yesI paid lots of long distance fees

I wonder if it depends which number you call when you are trying to pay using the automated phone system. It redirected me to a live agent when I called. I just checked, I called the number listed on myplans.

Last edited:
It is time consuming and only sometimes have they allowed me to use the automated system. You know what shouldn't be hard??...Disney enabling online payments for both packages and resorts.
Doesn't make sense why they wouldn't want people to pay online. I'd rather quickly click and pay vs going through endless prompts with fake robo-enthusiasm. And then having to spell my name the max times before they will transfer me. 'Sorry, I didn't quite get that!" ....and then have to chat to a random person about why I am going, what is my favorite park, and if I am celebrating anything. Sorry for the crabfest pirate: but they need to fix this.

I’ve always canceled my room only reservation online with no problem.

The balance on a room-only reservation is charged to the CC on file very early in the morning of checkin day, like 1:00 or 2:00 or 6:00 AM, I can’t remember exactly. I’m not familiar with packages.

I recently modified a cash reservation and received a small price difference… and I barely noticed that the minor credit amount would be applied as a statement credit on my room when I checked in…
I did not receive a choice : Did I want refund as a room credit or refund on the credit card I used to make reservation.
First time I have ever noticed that…Must be new

I have to add that whenever Disney offered that room credit for choosing No housekeeping …it would be offered as a credit but I could never figure out how to access that credit.
Easy money hidden somewhere in their bookkeeping .
Oh wel not to worry because Disney has now determined a Covid friendly way to charge us for housekeeping and not give us anything .

Kinda like that free Magic Express that we are not gonna get anymore.
It was free right?

This. I’ve had no problem using the automated system when paying by credit card. I also pay in full before going and use GF cards to pay for room charges when I’m there. Very easy.

I recently booked a room only at WDW (first time I've not done a package). I want to pay with Disney gift cards and paid the deposit with one. If I'm reading this correctly, I can still call, use the automated system, and pay off my room prior to arrival with gift cards? I thought I would have to pay it when I checked in.

Glad I found this thread as looks like my Credit Card would have been charged before I even made it to the front desk on my first day.

I know for certain you can cancel room only reservations online for WDW resorts.

I don't know the policy for DLR.

You also can't cancel a room only reservation online. You have to call for that too. Disney really is way behind the times with this stuff. I wonder why they want to continue to pay people to answer phones to handle these things rather than just make it something customers can do themselves online.
I have done this before, is this a new policy now?
I just cancelled my room-only online 2 days ago when I got a better deal booking through a 3rd party. I had to go through "modify" to find cancel.
You definitely can cancel room only. I just did it last week.

Add me to the list of those who just canceled a room only reservation a couple of weeks ago, and my CC statement looked great.
It took me a minute or two to figure out how, but then super easy, used the computer.

I recently booked a room only at WDW (first time I've not done a package). I want to pay with Disney gift cards and paid the deposit with one. If I'm reading this correctly, I can still call, use the automated system, and pay off my room prior to arrival with gift cards? I thought I would have to pay it when I checked in.

Glad I found this thread as looks like my Credit Card would have been charged before I even made it to the front desk on my first day.
I called about two weeks ago to pay off my room. I used my credit card but I definitely could have used gift cards. If I had waited they would charge the card on file for online check in at midnight the day of check in. So if you want to pay with gift cards and not calldo not
Do online check in.
The automated system was down (at this point I am not shocked) so I had to wait about 20-30 minutes to talk to a human. I must say the CM was AMAZING. She made sure to include any little thing we are celebrating, because everything is a celebration in Disney according to her. She was able to look at the reservation and confirm all information and actually caught a mistake on our magical express. It was annoying to wait for a CM but worth it for me.

Add me to the list of those who just canceled a room only reservation a couple of weeks ago, and my CC statement looked great.
It took me a minute or two to figure out how, but then super easy, used the computer.

Was this WDW?

Disneyland will absolutely not allow you to cancel a room only without calling. It's maddening.

Similar situation here. I bought Disney Golf Gift Cards (from official website) to pay for my DH and DS's 3 rounds of WDW golf on our upcoming trip. I'd love to pre-pay for the golf but won't let me do that online (with GC). So I called directly to WDW golf and they also can't take GC payments. These are not just generic Disney GC... they are specifically Disney Golf GC. Disney promotes their purchase! So why is using them to pay so difficult?

So I remember ions ago that room only was a different entity than the packages that were with Walt Disney World Travel. I wonder if this issue is an off shoot of all of that? Just speculating.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter