Disney News, Discussion & an Element of Fun - 2024 Edition

Moana 2 hits theaters on November 27, 2024
Scott Gustin Twitter

This is a reworking of the previously-announced Disney+ series to now be released as a theatrical film. The live-action film is still set for 2025.
View attachment 832336

"After receiving an unexpected call from her wayfinding ancestors, Moana must journey to the far seas of Oceania and into dangerous, long-lost waters for an adventure unlike anything she’s ever faced."

Iger about Moana 2: "We're turning what was a Moana TV series into a Moana feature - a theatrical release."
This is roughly the same date when Disney will open the new Polynesian DVC tower. Cross promotions like this boost sales.

It appears that TWDC is changing course of having IP streaming shows as a priority (for lack of a better term) for D+ programming, because Moana, Armor Wars and Mando are all now being switched from D+ streaming shows to theatrical movie releases. Plus, I don't like the release date because I am of the opinion that Wicked: Part 1 is going to perform huge box office numbers (like it may be the biggest box office of the year).
Yeah, that’s gonna be a problem. Did Disney not look at the release calendar?!

Some of those movies are really funny despite how awful they are.
I will forever die on the hill that Lion King II was every bit as good as the original.
I was just going to say...Lion King 1 1/2 is fantastic. If the original was Hamlet, 1 1/2 is Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.

"Timon's chasing metaphors!"

Yeah, that’s gonna be a problem. Did Disney not look at the release calendar?!
I'm sure they did, they must be okay with that. Makes me wonder whether Moana 2 is lower budget than most feature Disney Animation movies and thus doesn't need to come in first around the holidays to be profitable? Or maybe they think the strength of the Moana brand will be enough

This is roughly the same date when Disney will open the new Polynesian DVC tower. Cross promotions like this boost sales.
Also moana show on treasure whose maiden voyage is slated for Christmas pending delays
I'm sure they did, they must be okay with that. Makes me wonder whether Moana 2 is lower budget than most feature Disney Animation movies and thus doesn't need to come in first around the holidays to be profitable? Or maybe they think the strength of the Moana brand will be enough
Bit of both….
I just hope they can budget in rehiring the original voice cast to adr over the on the cheap voice doubles that were probably hired for the series

They didn’t mention the Poly DVC tower at the annual DVC meeting. It’s a possible indication that they are holding off until next year. They will have a lot of stock this year, cabins at Ft Wilderness, Riviera, Aulani, and Disneyland. Poly will outshine most of those, making them even more difficult to sell. I don’t think the Moana release is related to the Poly DVC tower.

I'm assuming the budget is lower because production was set for D+ which should be (?) a lower budget project than feature films.

Another thing that I am struggling to understand here is that we have animated Moana 2 released this year, and live-action Moana to be released next year and now I'm confused whether Moana live-action is going to be a remake of the first Moana or a whole new standalone movie that takes place after Moana 2. It seems strange that TWDC is releasing a sequel this year to the first animated movie and a live-action remake next year of the first animated movie?

NEW: 1900 Park Fare reopens on April 10 at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa.

Scott Gustin
Wouldn't you know?! I've been waiting for this to open and just made all my ADRs for the week of Apr 8-15 and now it looks like I may have to squeeze one more in!

Edit: Looks like ADRs maybe open up March 5? Just tried to book one for 4/14 but doesn't look like you can yet.

Last edited:
I will forever die on the hill that Lion King II was every bit as good as the original.

I will disagree that it's every bit as good as the original since the animation, while good for DTV lacks the environmental detail and massive scale the original has, plus the score is quite lacking in comparison to Hans Zimmer's absolutely unbeatable score, BUT it does have some great songs, characters (except Timon and Pumbaa are not written very well for this, unfortunately), is generally re-watchable and I do enjoy it.

I think it would have easily been better (and some things would have made more sense as well as had way more impact) if they had kept all of the scenes they deleted/cut in the final film. The original is my all time favorite film so that's tough to beat for me of course. Lion King 1 1/2 has objectively better animation and original characters are drawn more on model than II and we get to see teen Simba which is great, but it's not quite as re-watchable for me as II.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter