Disney/Pixar's Turning Red

DodgerGirl

Crazy For The Mandalorian
Coming in Spring 2022 Disney/Pixar will debut Turning Red a comedy about a girl with a secret talent. You see when the girl gets in an angry mood or becomes grouchy she turns into an enormous red panda in an The Incredible Hulk like fashion. Although not much info about character names and celebrity voice talent has not been announced yet. I think Turning Red will send Pixar into full recovery mode after the disappointments of Onward and Soul and using Backstreet Boys song Larger Than Life in the preview trailer helps it a lot

I've seen the trailer and frankly have not felt this negatively about a Pixar trailer since the first Finding Nemo trailer (where establishing Dory's short term memory loss made her so painfully stupid I didn't think I could handle a whole movie with her - of course she turned out to be a great character).

I'm just finding this (TR) charmless, the lead character unappealing, and the setting mundane. Hard to believe this is from the same studio that gave us such wonderful young characters as Miguel Rivera and Giulia Marcovaldo - not to mention that they've already done a smart imaginative take on adolescent emotional turmoil called "Inside Out."

And IMO any "let down" from Onward and Soul is mostly due to the theatre situation over the past year and a half.

I've seen the trailer and frankly have not felt this negatively about a Pixar trailer since the first Finding Nemo trailer (where establishing Dory's short term memory loss made her so painfully stupid I didn't think I could handle a whole movie with her - of course she turned out to be a great character).

I'm just finding this (TR) charmless, the lead character unappealing, and the setting mundane. Hard to believe this is from the same studio that gave us such wonderful young characters as Miguel Rivera and Giulia Marcovaldo - not to mention that they've already done a smart imaginative take on adolescent emotional turmoil called "Inside Out."

And IMO any "let down" from Onward and Soul is mostly due to the theatre situation over the past year and a half.
I think for me one of the reasons why I love Coco is that it's not as much a story about accepting your self and your abilities. I think we have seen too many of those in the last few years from both Disney and Pixar.
Of course each story is about the main character learning something and changing. But that doesn't have to be the main story.

I didn't like the Turning Red trailer. I am curious how they are going to put an original spin to this.

I think if promoted right Turning Red just might hit the blockbuster mark and may be a surprise because while I do think the concept of Turning Red is exciting I think it will bring a new miracle year for Disney in 2022

I think if promoted right Turning Red just might hit the blockbuster mark and may be a surprise because while I do think the concept of Turning Red is exciting I think it will bring a new miracle year for Disney in 2022
Promoting the hell out of a bad film wouldn't make it a good film. If Turning Red turns out to be great, then word of mouth will help it along. If they promote it well and it's a klunker, word of mouth will kill it.

Coming in Spring 2022 Disney/Pixar will debut Turning Red a comedy about a girl with a secret talent. You see when the girl gets in an angry mood or becomes grouchy she turns into an enormous red panda in an The Incredible Hulk like fashion. Although not much info about character names and celebrity voice talent has not been announced yet. I think Turning Red will send Pixar into full recovery mode after the disappointments of Onward and Soul and using Backstreet Boys song Larger Than Life in the preview trailer helps it a lot

Well, the verdicts in. I just watched it and thought it was fantastic! It may be the funniest Pixar movie ever, but it still definitely brings the feels. It's not quite as emotional as say Inside Out, but it's a great, fun movie with a lot of heart, and even surprisingly edgy too. Good stuff - I highly recommend it.

Just finished watching it myself and I thought it was well done with a lot of laughs. I really enjoyed it.

The original posters are simply armchair critics. Glad those that ACTUALLY saw it, enjoyed it!

Well, the verdicts in. I just watched it and thought it was fantastic! It may be the funniest Pixar movie ever, but it still definitely brings the feels. It's not quite as emotional as say Inside Out, but it's a great, fun movie with a lot of heart, and even surprisingly edgy too. Good stuff - I highly recommend it.

Son and I just just watched as well, and really liked it. !!! --- give it an 8 of 10--- would have been a 9 if not for her friends--- Why was Abby screaming everything? LOL--- I mean, I get teenage angst and all, but wow--- And Priya was overboard with the apathy--- Liked Miriam--- and Sandra Oh is always great !!

If this new Pixar movie is that good, that's a welcome change from the last two. They were both way below par for Pixar.

I wasn't a fan of the trailer. But the good reviews made me watch it this morning.

It has good moments, but it's not as ground breaking as Inside Out or Coco were to me. It was alright.

I do have 2 questions ;-)
- How many casualties did Ming cause when destroying the stadium?
- How is it that there was still electricity to keep the microphones of 4-Town and the girls working?

Son and I just just watched as well, and really liked it. !!! --- give it an 8 of 10--- would have been a 9 if not for her friends--- Why was Abby screaming everything? LOL--- I mean, I get teenage angst and all, but wow--- And Priya was overboard with the apathy--- Liked Miriam--- and Sandra Oh is always great !!

Abby was my favorite one. "Hit me!" 🤣

I watched it yesterday. I went in with such a negative attitude, I was surprised I enjoyed it as much as I did. But it’s still lower tier Pixar for me; I didn’t get attached to the characters, and I don’t see myself rewatching.

I watched it yesterday. I went in with such a negative attitude, I was surprised I enjoyed it as much as I did. But it’s still lower tier Pixar for me; I didn’t get attached to the characters, and I don’t see myself rewatching.
I felt the same. I think this one seems to lean even more so to how much you can relate to it for how well you enjoy it. Have found a lot of the negative reviews coming from adults and men, and I think it comes down to them not being able to relate to the story or characters.
I thought the movie was just ok. Story didn't seem up to par for Pixar (though some of their recent ones have felt weaker) and didn't find it as funny as others seemed to. But was better than I expected, and don't think I connected to it as much since I couldn't really relate to the family dynamic or teen girl aspects.

I felt the same. I think this one seems to lean even more so to how much you can relate to it for how well you enjoy it. Have found a lot of the negative reviews coming from adults and men, and I think it comes down to them not being able to relate to the story or characters.
I thought the movie was just ok. Story didn't seem up to par for Pixar (though some of their recent ones have felt weaker) and didn't find it as funny as others seemed to. But was better than I expected, and don't think I connected to it as much since I couldn't really relate to the family dynamic or teen girl aspects.

As a 40-something adult male, I thought it was easy to relate to. Sure, not some of the, ahem, female-specific biological stuff, but the coming of age story is timeless. The embarassing mom, the tight group of friends - that stuff was easy to relate to for me. A movie doesn't have to exactly mirror my perspective or experience for me to enjoy it - i'm strange like that though.

Last edited:
I thought it was great. It was really hitting on the nostalgia for me (Mei is in 8th grade in 2002, I was a freshman in high school then).

Honestly loved the film. Was it a top-tier Pixar movie for me? Not personally. But man I had such fun with it and liked it a lot more than I thought I would. Related to a lot of what Mei went through and it just made me smile.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter