Disney re-releasing 8 movies???

mjmgsssp

DIS Veteran
I'm wondering if it is just me, or where I live (Cincinnati, OH), but there are no theaters within a 4 hour radius that are showing Pirates of the Caribbean.

Does anyone know if the release date got delayed, or if Disney is only releasing the movies back to theaters in major markets? Thanks!

It’s not by me either - I’m totally bummed. We were going have a family dinner and a movie night to go see it.

I don't see it around here. Looking for it did remind me we intended to see Castle in the Sky though (Ghiblifest 2023).

Even here in the San Francisco Bay Area, it's only showing at three multiplexes, and the closest to me is about 20 miles.

Boston has Pirates and Toy Story, I used to love this sort of thing redo when my kids were little but the films were free or very inexpensive in the summers early in the day before regular movies and we would make a nice little day of it. Popcorn and drinks were reg price but then we would have a nice little lunch.

This looks to me like full price at the high end theaters, probably a tough sell for most families.

Boston has Pirates and Toy Story, I used to love this sort of thing redo when my kids were little but the films were free or very inexpensive in the summers early in the day before regular movies and we would make a nice little day of it. Popcorn and drinks were reg price but then we would have a nice little lunch.

This looks to me like full price at the high end theaters, probably a tough sell for most families.

Matinees can be cheaper of course. And some chains have Tuesday all day discount prices.

I remember one place I went to that had mostly late first run movies where they got a higher piece of the receipts. They had an angle with food/alcohol, sofa seating, and even tables. Didn’t last.

Thanks for the heads up.
I really wish Wall-E had been
included, that would be great
to see again on the big screen.

It's hard, when the other studios contribute movies to the discount summer movie programs for families ($1.50/movie at Cinemark, $2/movie at Regal as examples) to decide to choose older Disney movies at full price, even on $6 discount Tuesday.

It would be so nice if Disney would contribute product to the already existing kid summer movie programs vs offering their classics for theater subscribers and cinephiles (who make up the vast majority of who will see these films at their full price tickets)...

Matinees can be cheaper of course. And some chains have Tuesday all day discount prices.

I remember one place I went to that had mostly late first run movies where they got a higher piece of the receipts. They had an angle with food/alcohol, sofa seating, and even tables. Didn’t last.
I looked and 12:30 afternoon Pirates is 10.79 adult and 8.69 child on Fandango with a convenience fee added, to me that is steep when you could probably do a pool or zoo day for a lot less, then there are playdates, library days, Chuck E cheese and even the Mickie D's have indoor playgrounds with AC now for the price of a Happy Meal. A premium day of spending for the people I was around would probably be spent on a new movie or a day at a local amusement park or water park, even spending the money on gas for a drive to the beach.

Sometimes I think the people who come up with these promotions never raised a family and have zero awareness of what they are competing with when they roll out these plans, gotta go to the source and by source I do not mean scanning social media where people puff up.

People will go, but there won't be lines of big families with lots of kids where the family is spending oodles on concessions, price point is simply too high at these sorts of theaters.

Last edited:
My issue is that most of these movies are fairly recent. The oldest is Beauty and the Beast which came out in 1991. Why not include some older movies? I'm sure my mom would like to see Cinderella in theaters again. I assume they're doing this as part of the Disney 100 celebration. In that case, what about Snow White? You know, the one that started it all. I know it would never make the list, but personally I'd love the opportunity to see The Black Cauldron in theaters.

Smart move for Disney by the way, basically free money with very little in the way of promotion.

Could they rerelease the original Star Wars OT? Might go a long way to show the OT fans who hate the Disney Sequels so much a little bit of love and extract some money from their wallets.

Huh, I googled to find out more and it took me to DIS news.

Cool, Toy Story and Moana, never saw those on the big screen. But bad news: Fandango's not picking up anything for my area. I thought it was a fluke until I tested it using 90210 as the zip, and it clicks.

PS- I used to use 90210 when setting up email accounts back in the 90's, because I wasn't giving up my real zip.

I'm curious, since this is a special Disney 100 celebration, if each movie will have some sort of special introduction.

My issue is that most of these movies are fairly recent. The oldest is Beauty and the Beast which came out in 1991. Why not include some older movies? I'm sure my mom would like to see Cinderella in theaters again. I assume they're doing this as part of the Disney 100 celebration. In that case, what about Snow White? You know, the one that started it all. I know it would never make the list, but personally I'd love the opportunity to see The Black Cauldron in theaters.
That is exactly what I thought too. Why aren't they rereleasing anything that was made before Little Mermaid? I wonder if kids have actually seen those movies before excluding the Princess ones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter