• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Resorts to start charging parking fees....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will believe this when I see it. Maybe if your modification retains the same reservation number.

Right, it would likely have to be strictly a modification, not anything that would result in a new reservation.

People have been reporting that CMs are telling them if you book before March 21 and just modify that reservation later, you’ll still be grandfathered in for free parking. We’ll see.
I just booked my July trip to avoid the fee - don't like booking before discounts but I will take my chances.

I just booked my July trip to avoid the fee - don't like booking before discounts but I will take my chances.

So did we for the one night we need. If it ends up being modified to include a parking fee we will just stay off site.

Thanks for sharing that. The only difference between that email and ones I’ve received is an extra line saying when I should expect their call.

Disney definitely knows all about who contacts them. Based on conversations with GS, I can definitely say they have a SmithSmith dossier filled with info like past visits, future reservations, emails, and recordings of all my phone calls with them. It’s kinda creepy. o_O
I'm pretty sure it's called a "magical file." And because I have sent 3 emails in 2 years, I'm fairly certain I have one, too. Oops.

Just out of curiosity...reading through the past few pages it seems many have said how unhappy they are with Disney and what they have done in the past (RFID chips in refill cups, big increase in AP, and now parking fee at hotels) yet you still vacation at WDW. I understand where you are coming from but if you are that unhappy with Disney why do you still go?

For those who have cancelled their AP’s and hotel reservations, IMO that does send a clear message to Disney. FWIW I did send an email to Rober Iger letting him know that the people they should be targeting with paid hotel parking is the day visitor to the hotel. I told him they should be allowed three hours for dining etc. and after that be charged for the day. Not fair to hotel guests to circle the parking lot for 30 minutes trying to find a parking spot.
I can only speak for myself, but the parking cost was the final straw. It's not that the other added costs and price hikes didn't bother me before, but this was the first time I felt that I am getting asked to pay more, for absolutely nothing in return (same headache trying to find a spot and the day guests are encouraged to keep parking and shopping).

I am cutting and pasting my post in the other big parking thread about my call with George's office since I know sometimes people stick to one forum or another...nothing too specific but FWIW - skip over me if it's a repeat! :flower:

I talked to a representative from George’s office yesterday. I was belatedly addressing some specific issues from my January trip, but also wanted to add my two cents about the new parking fees. I really wanted to add my feelings about the parking because despite the fact that I’m a flyer that has never rented a car, I have always happily stayed in the gilded cage, but with the declining quality and increasing prices I have experienced, I just feel like it’s piling on at this point and a sign of things to come.

Like I said, we were covering a couple of different policies, and the conversation was rather frustrating, so I dropped the ball on some follow-up questions, but thought I’d share some things the CM said...

So, I personally think it adds insult to injury that they are charging overnight guests and then allowing day guests to park for free, especially with the vague wording and such, so I asked for specifics about how that will work. I used the Poly as an example, as I have stayed there and have seen people exit the monorail at night and go directly to the parking lot, and I know finding parking is an ongoing issue for guests.

Anyway, it does not sound like they are adding structures or “systems” to deal with charging day guests, like exit gates or a ticketed validation, although of course she wouldn’t really give me specifics. The CM stressed that the “system” for dealing with day guests would vary by resort. She repeated that multiple times. She said that they would scan magic bands or take ids to verify dining reservations. I forgot to ask about how they would track people that are just coming to check out the resort and eat at quick-service and how they would ensure sufficient parking for overnight guests. ETA: also didn't ask how they'd track off-site guests with ADRs with this method...

Anyway, the reason I forgot these critical follow-up questions is because - here comes my favorite part - she told me that if a day-guest is scanned and then later found to be there for “8 to 10 or 12” hours, they would charge their guest folio. Eight to 10 to 12 hours! So either they’re taking into account the long waits at ‘Ohana, or they really want that day guest to enjoy the value in his/her select recreational experiences. o_O

My question about how this would prevent someone from going to their Kona breakfast reservation and then heading to the parks for 10 to 12 hours was met with awkward silence. So rest assured, this new policy sounds like it will really crack down on parking abuses! :rolleyes: ETA: I understand why they'd want day guest to park for free for some period of time to spend money, but this seems excessive and it doesn't seem to solve any issues for resort guests without some type of validation system - maybe it will firm up further down the line? :confused3

here comes my favorite part - she told me that if a day-guest is scanned and then later found to be there for “8 to 10 or 12” hours, they would charge their guest folio. Eight to 10 to 12 hours! So either they’re taking into account the long waits at ‘Ohana, or they really want that day guest to enjoy the value in his/her select recreational experiences. o_O

Which is exactly one of the reasons I describe the move as a "tax" on resort guests. It is very, very difficult for me to wrap my head around paying $700/night and being charged to park while those *not* paying this exorbitant charge park for free. :rolleyes2

I can only speak for myself, but the parking cost was the final straw. It's not that the other added costs and price hikes didn't bother me before, but this was the first time I felt that I am getting asked to pay more, for absolutely nothing in return (same headache trying to find a spot and the day guests are encouraged to keep parking and shopping).
Yes and the day visitors will most likely spend more eating or buying merchandise because they don’t have the “ convince” to be there 24/7.. that’s why regulars are being moved out of Disney by way of taking large amounts of your money and giving little in return .

Anyway, the reason I forgot these critical follow-up questions is because - here comes my favorite part - she told me that if a day-guest is scanned and then later found to be there for “8 to 10 or 12” hours, they would charge their guest folio. Eight to 10 to 12 hours! So either they’re taking into account the long waits at ‘Ohana, or they really want that day guest to enjoy the value in his/her select recreational experiences. o_O
8-10 hours!?!? Say it isn't so! I was still kinda hanging on to hope that they would limit it to just a few hours. Ok, I already emailed the main WDW email address days ago, I will go ahead and email George's office now!

I've seen a few others mention dropping other cost activities due to parking fee as a solution, and that Disney would see that as a loss.

I really don't understand how people would 'accept' that as a solution. Your giving up something you were getting a return on (however overpriced) for nothing, yet still shelling out the same amount of money.

And from Disney's standpoint that's a win. Instead of, say, 50% profit and 50% covering costs if you spent that money on merchandise or a meal or a dessert party, now it is 100% profit.

Which is exactly one of the reasons I describe the move as a "tax" on resort guests. It is very, very difficult for me to wrap my head around paying $700/night and being charged to park while those *not* paying this exorbitant charge park for free. :rolleyes2

Agree...and I do understand why Disney would want guests to be able to enjoy other resorts and spend money, but if it's not reasonable and/or going to be another thing they don't enforce, it's not going to engender positive feelings for those resort guests!

8-10 hours!?!? Say it isn't so! I was still kinda hanging on to hope that they would limit it to just a few hours. Ok, I already emailed the main WDW email address days ago, I will go ahead and email George's office now!

I'm hoping maybe she misspoke?? I kind of thought she'd at least pay lip service to a reasonable free parking amenity for day guests - like say 3-4 hours?

They got shamed away from posting during the Dog Friendly, wall mounted toiletry and security check threads. But they're still here.
I was actually threatened to be put in time out for not agreeing with someone here so no way I’m going to argue with the masses. I’ve learned my lesson. :-)

If my crystal ball serves me correct all this Disney hate will not affect them one iota. Event the angry folks will keep going.

Hey I cancelled my yearly trip this year and will now go every other year. But no way I’m going to complain about everything they do. I freaking love Disney. If I didn’t I wouldn’t be on this board and give them large sums of money when I go. :-)

Last edited:
i sent an email last night to George and the Bobs...
about 4 hours ago i got a call that went to voice mail (my grandson was watching youtube videos on my phone - i do have my priorities....grandson over disney CM)

i just listened to her message - she was from guest experience services calling in response to my email to George Kalogridis...
she left her number for me to call her back..
and sent a follow up email with her number and said i could give her a time that she'll call me back..

not sure if i want to bother as i see they're not going to change anything...i've sent the email...told them what i think, not just about this, but the reduced quality we experienced last august....i really don't have anything to add to that when clearly they don't really care......nothing will come of it...

Go ahead and talk to them. It gets the point across

I've seen a few others mention dropping other cost activities due to parking fee as a solution, and that Disney would see that as a loss.

I really don't understand how people would 'accept' that as a solution. Your giving up something you were getting a return on (however overpriced) for nothing, yet still shelling out the same amount of money.
Plus it seems most upcharge/separate cost activities are usually filled, someone else will step in so Disney profits no matter what.

Disney can even take a downturn in attendance as long as they maximize the $$'s out of the people still throwing their money at them.

This monster was enabled by the public, it will continue to grow until a large portion of the public stops feeding it.

This is exactly right. We can grumble all we want and write angry letters. But if we go out of our way to keep feeding money to Disney, for what is essentially a leisure product, we're voting with our own dollars to validate a profit-driven decision.

Well, I finally received a response to my email. A majorly lame response, but a response. I will copy my original email and Disney's reply below:

Hello,

My name is Xxxxx Xxxxxxx and I have a vacation booked for myself, husband and three children at Port Orleans Riverside from May 27 - June 3 of this year. I understand that as of next week, you will begin charging your hotel guests a daily overnight parking fee. Although I know this does not affect my trip since it was booked before this new policy went into effect, it will greatly affect my decision on where to stay for future trips. As I'm sure you know, there are many, many options of places to stay in the Disney area besides the Disney resort hotels. One of the biggest incentives to staying in a Disney hotel for me are that you don't (or didn't previously) nickel and dime your guests like many other hotels. Unless we find amazing prices on flights, we often drive to our yearly family vacation and this feels like we are being punished for driving instead of flying. I really hope you will reconsider this policy because while I do love Disney, there are many other options of places to stay in the Orlando area and many other vacation destinations entirely. This policy does not feel very magical to this long time Disney lover.

Thanks,

Xxxxx Xxxxxxx

Disney's response:

Dear Xxxxx,

Thank you for your email regarding the adjustment to resort overnight parking.

We are thrilled that you will be staying at Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside in May. As you mentioned, since you booked your reservation prior to the effective date of March 21, you will not be charged the overnight parking fee during this visit. As a Walt Disney World Resort Guest, you will also continue to receive complimentary parking at any of our Theme Parks. For future reservations, you may find more information about parking for Resort Guests by visiting our website.

Xxxxx, we appreciate your feedback, and are looking forward to creating unforgettable memories with you and your family. We sincerely hope your trip is full of great experiences!

Warmest regards,

Mary
Guest Experience Services
Walt Disney World Resort

Last edited:
I was actually threatened to be put in time out for not agreeing with someone here so no way I’m going to argue with the masses. I’ve learned my lesson. :-)

If my crystal ball serves me correct all this Disney hate will not affect them one iota. Event the angry folks will keep going.
I’m not one of those “great, more rooms available” or whatever. Nor am I a person that says “this is the last straw” or what ever.
☝️That kind of thing usually happens... people are angry, saying they won’t do this or that, and then by the end they end up doing what they swore off.

I just let the people do what they want to do. It’s not my business....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter