• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Resorts to start charging parking fees....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Such a good point. Other places you show loyalty have a "frequent buyer" or loyalty reward to thank you for frequenting their business. Disney - Here's a another price increase or here's another fee. Thanks so much for your continued patronage!

If Disney had a loyalty program like hotels and airlines, I'd probably have some tier status by now, after having been a Disneyland AP holder and making multiple trips to WDW. Or maybe not, given how much some people spend each year on all those VIP tours, dessert parties, after hours events, and deluxe hotel club rooms.

I guess Disney hasn't needed a loyalty program to build such a large number of loyal guests. Although if they keep increasing prices and adding fees like they're doing, making it less worth it, they might need to roll something out!

It can be confusing. Since, especially now that so many are looking at offsite options that never did before, they opted to give those few hotels the perks, just try to keep it straight for those following along to make sure they get the right perks. I think you can even go on the Disney site, click Good Neighbor and it takes you to them ........... that gets really shady because you may not realize you are leaving Disney but not getting any perks.

As an FYI I love the Disney Springs resorts. I have stayed at Hilton, Buena Vista Palace, Wyndham, B Resort and Doubletree. Holiday Inn has some big fans but I haven't tried it yet. Best Western has been bought by Drury and is about to have a major renovation. Buena Vista did a reno and their pool is all new and really nice, best one down there. Doubletree and B Resort are my favorites and I check their rates every time I'm booking.

Kind of off topic but since I am now going to stay offsite for the first time... what are the shuttles like for those hotels? We fly in and would rather not deal with a rental car.

Kind of off topic but since I am now going to stay offsite for the first time... what are the shuttles like for those hotels? We fly in and would rather not deal with a rental car.

Good, likely one of the only places I'd stay and rely on a shuttle (and Hilton BC).

Here is the info ~

Here is the official transportation flyer given to guests staying at the seven Disney Springs Hotels. This covers the following hotels:

• B Resort and Spa: http://www.bhotelsandresorts.com/b-resort-and-spa/
• Best Western Lake Buena Vista: https://www.bestwestern.com/en_US/b...=BLBWI0003G&cid=BLBWI0003G:yext:website:10288
• DoubleTree Suites Lake Buena Vista: http://doubletree3.hilton.com/en/ho...rlando-disney-springs-area-MCOFHDT/index.html
• Hilton Buena Vista Palace: http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/fl...palace-disney-springs-area-MCOBUHH/index.html
• Hilton Lake Buena Vista: http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/fl...-vista-disney-springs-area-ORLDWHH/index.html
• Holiday Inn Disney Springs: https://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotels/us/en/lake-buena-vista/dislb/hoteldetail
• Wyndham Lake Buena Vista: https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/wyndh...a-resort-downtown-disney-resort-area/overview

Link to the Disney Springs Hotels marketing website: http://disneyspringshotels.com/

dspringshotels-shuttles-may2016-front-600x900-small.jpg

dspringshotels-shuttles-may2016-back-600x900-small.jpg

Shuttles leave every 30 minutes all day long at designated times. The shuttles are run by Mears Transportation, which has been a Disney partner for decades. (They run Disney's Magical Express service.) Each shuttle runs to two different parks. It's usually one to Epcot, then Disney's Hollywood Studios and the other to the Transportation and Ticket Center (transfer to monorail/ferry for Magic Kingdom), then Disney's Animal Kingdom.

Although each bus stops at multiple hotels, these stops usually only take 2-3 minutes each. The exception would be if there are wheelchairs or ECVs to load/unload. All of these hotels are literally next to each other. In some cases, it only takes 1 minute to go from one hotel to the next.

disneysprings-hotels-labels.jpg

Link to Bing Maps: https://binged.it/2yfpHqf

Note: With the Disney Springs Hotels being added to the Extra Magic Hours program, the shuttle buses will certainly expand beyond the "regular park hours" that are listed on these flyers.

If anyone has questions, please ask.

Good, likely one of the only places I'd stay and rely on a shuttle (and Hilton BC).

Here is the info ~

thanks for this. I was assuming the shuttles would be problematic and not consistent. Although my last stay in December at CSR the buses were a MESS. So, I couldnt imagine these buses being any worse. And, worse case, with the money I save i can just Lyft it. I guess this makes my decision easy. Offsite it is from here on out!!!!!

I thought I would share my email reply to my complaint, because it did answer a few of the questions I asked about clarifying if Resort guests would have to pay to park at the Theme parks (the wording online makes it very unclear) and how are they going to ensure everyone has paid if day visitors don't have to pay. It will be interesting what the "protocols" will be!

Thank you for sharing your concerns regarding our policy for overnight resort parking.

We appreciate you as a valued member of our Passholder family. Please know that decisions to adjust our policies are based on a variety of factors, including alignment with our resorts in California and Hawaii. Be assured that we are committed to providing high-quality, unique experiences and special moments in our Theme Parks and Resorts that our Guests enjoy.

The self-parking rate is based on the category of the hotel where the Guest is staying, and additional information about parking for Resort Guests may be found on our website. Theme Park parking will remain complimentary for Resort Guests. We will have a protocol set in place at our resorts beginning March 21 to differentiate Day Guests and Resort Guests visiting the Walt Disney World Resort.

If you choose to visit a resort for a day to dine, shop or enjoy resort activities, parking will be complimentary.

I am now calculating their parking fees and recommending dropping extras like desert parting, Spirit of Aloha or any of their other upcharge activities to equal the cost of parking.

I've seen a few others mention dropping other cost activities due to parking fee as a solution, and that Disney would see that as a loss.

I really don't understand how people would 'accept' that as a solution. Your giving up something you were getting a return on (however overpriced) for nothing, yet still shelling out the same amount of money.
Plus it seems most upcharge/separate cost activities are usually filled, someone else will step in so Disney profits no matter what.

Disney can even take a downturn in attendance as long as they maximize the $$'s out of the people still throwing their money at them.

This monster was enabled by the public, it will continue to grow until a large portion of the public stops feeding it.

I thought I would share my email reply to my complaint, because it did answer a few of the questions I asked about clarifying if Resort guests would have to pay to park at the Theme parks (the wording online makes it very unclear) and how are they going to ensure everyone has paid if day visitors don't have to pay. It will be interesting what the "protocols" will be!

Thank you for sharing your concerns regarding our policy for overnight resort parking.

We appreciate you as a valued member of our Passholder family. Please know that decisions to adjust our policies are based on a variety of factors, including alignment with our resorts in California and Hawaii. Be assured that we are committed to providing high-quality, unique experiences and special moments in our Theme Parks and Resorts that our Guests enjoy.

The self-parking rate is based on the category of the hotel where the Guest is staying, and additional information about parking for Resort Guests may be found on our website. Theme Park parking will remain complimentary for Resort Guests. We will have a protocol set in place at our resorts beginning March 21 to differentiate Day Guests and Resort Guests visiting the Walt Disney World Resort.

If you choose to visit a resort for a day to dine, shop or enjoy resort activities, parking will be complimentary.

Ok, so now they have dropped the "industry standards" line & this fee is about aligning with their other properties?? Well, MK in California has Paint The Night, right?? MK in Florida has.......... ? How bout they align that???!!!

And, no, theme park parking will not be "complimentary" to resort guests. It will be "included" with the parking fee you will already be paying.

Seriously, what a crock.

Last edited:

I got the same exact email Saturday:

Dear Jennifer,

Thank you for your email regarding our policy for overnight resort parking. We value your opinion and thank you for choosing the Walt Disney World Resort as your vacation destination multiple times each year.

We occasionally make adjustments based on a variety of factors, including alignment with our resorts in California and Hawaii. The policy regarding resort overnight parking will apply to Guests who book their hotel reservations on or after March 21, 2018, while Theme Park parking will remain complimentary for all Resort Guests. Information about parking for Resort Guests may be found on our website.

Complimentary parking will be available for all Guests who wish to dine, shop, enjoy activities or visit a resort for the day.

Be assured that we are committed to providing unique experiences and quality entertainment in our Theme Parks and Resorts.

Jennifer, we appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us and hope you and your family will visit us soon.

Warmest regards,

Lee

Guest Experience Services

Walt Disney World Resort

i sent an email last night to George and the Bobs...
about 4 hours ago i got a call that went to voice mail (my grandson was watching youtube videos on my phone - i do have my priorities....grandson over disney CM)

i just listened to her message - she was from guest experience services calling in response to my email to George Kalogridis...
she left her number for me to call her back..
and sent a follow up email with her number and said i could give her a time that she'll call me back..

not sure if i want to bother as i see they're not going to change anything...i've sent the email...told them what i think, not just about this, but the reduced quality we experienced last august....i really don't have anything to add to that when clearly they don't really care......nothing will come of it...

Last edited:
Well said.....
This was my point exactly, pages like this forum just gives Disney free advertising and people keep forking over money and getting less perks . I will not be putting more money into their resorts or parks , unfortunately I do enjoy DCL and find it a better deal cost wise overall but I will use my AP and park money at other destinations. I also will not be doing any recommendations through social media on that subject. I am sure Disney won’t miss the money but it’s my money to spend and I will just choose to spend it other places .

I've seen a few others mention dropping other cost activities due to parking fee as a solution, and that Disney would see that as a loss.

I really don't understand how people would 'accept' that as a solution. Your giving up something you were getting a return on (however overpriced) for nothing, yet still shelling out the same amount of money.
Plus it seems most upcharge/separate cost activities are usually filled, someone else will step in so Disney profits no matter what.

Disney can even take a downturn in attendance as long as they maximize the $$'s out of the people still throwing their money at them.

This monster was enabled by the public, it will continue to grow until a large portion of the public stops feeding it.

:thanks:

I'm gonna' say it again............I can not believe they choose a main reason for the change is to align costs with Hawaii and California. Go to any cost comparison calculator that can compare Orlando to Anaheim or Honolulu and you will see that the overall cost of living is way, way higher in those other locations. Such a lame excuse. Yes, I am still a bit edgy about this issue. They blew it!

I'm gonna' say it again............I can not believe they choose a main reason for the change is to align costs with Hawaii and California. Go to any cost comparison calculator that can compare Orlando to Anaheim or Honolulu and you will see that the overall cost of living is way, way higher in those other locations. Such a lame excuse. Yes, I am still a bit edgy about this issue. They blew it!

They are just trying to find the most palatable excuse that they can use. It's about getting more income and that is all. That is not the Disney thing to say though.

I got the same exact email Saturday:

Dear Jennifer,

Thank you for your email regarding our policy for overnight resort parking. We value your opinion and thank you for choosing the Walt Disney World Resort as your vacation destination multiple times each year.

We occasionally make adjustments based on a variety of factors, including alignment with our resorts in California and Hawaii. The policy regarding resort overnight parking will apply to Guests who book their hotel reservations on or after March 21, 2018, while Theme Park parking will remain complimentary for all Resort Guests. Information about parking for Resort Guests may be found on our website.

Guest Experience Services

Walt Disney World Resort

So, I guess this means since I booked our vacation in January for June/July, I'm off the hook because I booked before? Wow, I figured since it was after that date I had to pay, but this kind of makes it sound like if you booked already, you're all set. Well, unless I have to change one of the splits due to a deal coming out. The first part of the split is not changing due to deal already, but the 2nd part I'm waiting. I guess the key will be in trying to get right on and keep the same reservation.
Also figuring no deals will be coming out until After that date, (which is only 2 days away anyway)

So, I guess this means since I booked our vacation in January for June/July, I'm off the hook because I booked before? Wow, I figured since it was after that date I had to pay, but this kind of makes it sound like if you booked already, you're all set. Well, unless I have to change one of the splits due to a deal coming out. The first part of the split is not changing due to deal already, but the 2nd part I'm waiting. I guess the key will be in trying to get right on and keep the same reservation.
Also figuring no deals will be coming out until After that date, (which is only 2 days away anyway)

I had made a reservation months ago for August at rack rate. I was hoping to switch to a better resort (perhaps a split stay) when the discounts were announced. I think its safe to assume changing resorts would trigger the parking fee (new reservation). Hopefully, the discounts will be good enough to outweigh the extra $20.

I had made a reservation months ago for August at rack rate. I was hoping to switch to a better resort (perhaps a split stay) when the discounts were announced. I think its safe to assume changing resorts would trigger the parking fee (new reservation). Hopefully, the discounts will be good enough to outweigh the extra $20.

People have been reporting that CMs are telling them if you book before March 21 and just modify that reservation later, you’ll still be grandfathered in for free parking. We’ll see.

Yes, I'm hoping that if a deal is still available for same place/room I have , then youre probably ok, but changing resorts probably could. But don't forget I'm sure you realize its a per day fee.

They are just trying to find the most palatable excuse that they can use. It's about getting more income and that is all. That is not the Disney thing to say though.

I think they're taking for granted the fact that they've placated people in the past with empty words and are assuming it'll work this time as well. Will it work? I don't know.

I've been surprised by the breadth of unhappy responses on here and the people saying they've actually cancelled/changed plans, compared to, in the past, just saying they're thinking about it.

Even if the execs finally take some notice and realize the negativity of this latest move, will they even consider that it's only part of the discontent that's been building for, what, 4 or 5 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter