Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

He did say it, but things he says aren't always accurate. I think he thought they were stopping, when they were actually moving slowly.

There's been some discussion on another site about ecv handling, and it remains unresolved. A poster said he was on the team and that there's a procedure in the Operating Guide, but he was prohibited from sharing.

They may handle that by directing those people to the CBR station.

Nope, I do have lots of natural empathy. I have been an RN for over 40 years. You don’t go into that profession or last 40 years without empathy. And I did say the poster didn’t say she was afraid of all men. But since she brought up a “he touched me” situation, I feel pretty sure it was men she was talking about. I made a general statement. And also gave suggestions to how she might deal with the situation.

And apparently I’m not the only one who feels this is an irrational fear.

Of course you aren't the only one who thinks this is an irrational fear.

The world is full of people who think anything that doesn't make sense to THEM or doesn't fit THEIR experience is irrational.

And a lot of those people still wrongly consider themselves empathetic despitebeing unable or unwilling to "put themselves in the shoes of another."

**Edited to say: I should have caught up with the thread before I posted. I see the discussion has moved on. Moving on...

Last edited:
They may handle that by directing those people to the CBR station.

I don't know - If I spent a bunch to stay at this nice new DVC on the Skyliner just to be told, "Sorry, you can't get on here; you have to go to the south end of CBR to board." I would not be a happy camper. (And I know the CBR station isn't at the farthest south point of the resort, but it's a fair piece away.)

Here's an idea..what if they will load at the Riviera by just driving into the slow moving gondola with the help of a CM ..same as they help them into the buses and boats...and as seen in some other gondola systems. Then when they get to CBR or Epcot they will be able to unload in the second loop where it stops with the help of a CM. For those returning to Riviera.. a CM can ask those in Ecv's if they are going to Riviera and load/ back them in at the station "CBR and Epcot" where it stops to where they would face the doors. Then when they get to the Riviera they can just drive out facing forward.
They move so slow a CM can board the gondola and have enough time to help anyone drive out if needed.
There should only be 1 ecv per gondola because of needing to have a bench down for people to accompany a rider, "if needed" in a ecv..I don't believe they will allow standing so 2 ecv's are not possible.
edited to clarify...
2 ecv's might be possible loading from the other stations but getting 2 in or out at the same time while moving thru riviera could be a challenge

Last edited:
Here's an idea..what if they will load at the Riviera by just driving into the slow moving gondola with the help of a CM ..same as they help them into the buses and boats...and as seen in some other gondola systems. Then when they get to CBR or Epcot they will be able to unload in the second loop where it stops with the help of a CM. For those returning to Riviera.. a CM can ask those in Ecv's if they are going to Riviera and load/ back them in at the station "CBR and Epcot" where it stops to where they would face the doors. Then when they get to the Riviera they can just drive out facing forward.
They move so slow a CM can board the gondola and have enough time to help anyone drive out if needed.
There should only be 1 ecv per gondola because of needing to have a bench down for people to accompany a rider in a ecv..I don't believe they will allow standing so 2 ecv's are not possible.

Not sure if this is the case/would fully work but as someone who recently traveled with someone using an ECV for the first time I can say they had way more issues driving backwards compared to forward so having the ability to drive out forward would make it much easier for Riviera do at least in concept I get the benefits behind your idea

I don't know - If I spent a bunch to stay at this nice new DVC on the Skyliner just to be told, "Sorry, you can't get on here; you have to go to the south end of CBR to board." I would not be a happy camper. (And I know the CBR station isn't at the farthest south point of the resort, but it's a fair piece away.)

Since there’s an internal CBR bus stop at the CBR Skyliner station, isn’t the idea that wherever you are at CBR you can take a bus to get to the main station? Walking (/“driving” an ECV) would just be an option that many would take?

Am I the only one who’s experienced bus wait times being unreliable? They’ll promise that the bus will arrive at X o’clock, then the arrival time will change to X+5 min., then after X+5 min. comes but no bus yet, it’ll update to X+5+5, etc..
Waiting in your room to go down to the bus stop until right before the bus arrives is still waiting, and IMO only ups your chances of standing once you are on the bus (or having to wait for the next bus.) Whereas w/ the gondola you just go when you’re ready, so no waiting to head to the gondola station based on app. arrival times.

Well, except for going to Epcot, when the line has to stop/really slow down for an unskilled ECV driver trying to board/deboard at the Riviera station.

No, you’re not alone! We waited more than an hour for a bus back to AoA one night when the monorail went down and they diverted our buses to help the monorail resorts. It was miserable.

Since there’s an internal CBR bus stop at the CBR Skyliner station, isn’t the idea that wherever you are at CBR you can take a bus to get to the main station? Walking (/“driving” an ECV) would just be an option that many would take?

True, but I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here and say if I was an ECV guest, I'd still be irked at paying for the Riviera and not being able to board the transportation at my resort.

I wonder how many ECV guests they anticipate using the Riviera station.

True, but I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here and say if I was an ECV guest, I'd still be irked at paying for the Riviera and not being able to board the transportation at my resort.

I wonder how many ECV guests they anticipate using the Riviera station.
Where did anybody get the idea that ECV guests wouldn't be able to board at Riviera? Why would that ever happen?

The gondolas and stations are designed to be ECV friendly. :moped:

Interesting that he says he sees them stopping not just slowing down as they go through. Wonder if that is everyone has moments of stopping or more than the CMS will have ability to stop them while off the cable

If every one stops then I can see that making this leg of travel quite a bit longer than perhaps we thought as you have the slowdown at the Boardwalk Parking Lot turn and then slowdown and stop here as well
I bet you'll be in this station 90-120 seconds, hard to follow the cabins through. I haven't times the turn station, but it didn't seem too bad.

Last edited:
Looks like it is operating just like I suggested it would way back. I bet you'll be in this station 90-120 seconds, hard to follow the cabins through. I haven't times the turn station, but it didn't seem too bad.
It should be about the same time as it takes the cabins to pass thru the terminal stations, which is about 1:50. The BW turn station is only 35 seconds on the outside track, 25 seconds on the inside track.

Where did anybody get the idea that ECV guests wouldn't be able to board at Riviera? Why would that ever happen?

Why would they handle ECVs and wheelchairs differently? That makes no sense.

Because at the terminal stations there is a second unload/load loop where the gondolas come to a complete stop to allow for ECVs and wheelchairs to get on/off easier - whereas the Riviera doesn't have the second loop so unclear how exactly it will work at that station. Doesn't mean it won't and/won't be any more difficult we are just trying to figure out the "how" for that specific station as it is different than the others

I am sure thy have a plan in place for ECVs at all the stations, including the Riviera. Disney would not have overlooked this in their design. While I agree that there could be issues on the gondola (just like issues anywhere else in the world) , I am excited to be going to WDW and ride the gondolas. I think it will be exciting and interesting. I don't think that you will have to share a gondola one-on-one with a stranger if you don't want to; and I don't think you will have to share with a foul-mouthed bunch of other people if you don't want to. I have never seen this on nearly empty buses at WDW. Most of the time people usually keep to themselves or engage in pleasant conversations about their vacation. I am one who looks at this as a good thing for WDW. I am looking forward to riding from the IG (staying at the BCV) to DHS and back a couple of times on my upcoming trip.

We were on site last night to go to Jellyrolls and noticed the DHS-CBR line had uncovered gondolas on it, while the CBR-IG didn't have gondola, but there were a couple gondolas in the Boardwalk turn station that were covered.

I assume that the CBR internal buses will not run to Riviera. It's a separate resort and will probably have it's own buses.

All the other stations have a sperate loop where cars can be stopped for loading ECVs and wheelchairs, Riviera does not have this. In theory someone in an ECV should be able to drive right onto a slowly moving car, but for someone not experienced in driving one this could prove difficult and you don't want to get into a situation where you have to stop the entire line to have some one board.

Because...
I'm sorry. I wasn't clear. I asked "Why would they handle ECVs and wheelchairs differently?" but what meant was "Why would they handle ECVs different from how they'll handle wheelchairs?" Since it is possible to do so, they have to handle wheelchairs at that location (it's the law), and so given that I don't see the sense in not handling ECVs the same way.

I'm sorry. I wasn't clear. I asked "Why would they handle ECVs and wheelchairs differently?" but what meant was "Why would they handle ECVs different from how they'll handle wheelchairs?" Since it is possible to do so, they have to handle wheelchairs at that location (it's the law), and so given that I don't see the sense in not handling ECVs the same way.

I agree they will have to handle them some how - just curious *how* specifically since it doesn't have the second loop

Also, does the law imply the system has to handle wheel chairs or every station has to? Theoretically if they had transport to the CBR station that would enable anyone to get on the system and get to everywhere it goes. Not saying that is what they will (or should) do but wouldn't be the first time Disney surprised me

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter