Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

So they are probably putting the gondolas at the IG in an area that may be used for F&W. There are plenty of other areas at Epcot they can use for F&W.

More interesting is that the area sits outside the UK pavilion...And the UK pavilion is rumored to be getting a new ride. Often the gondola buildings are two story, so it very well could be possible to build both simultaneously. I find that way more interesting and rumor worthy.

Epcot has problems, but the pavilions and F&WF are not among them. I would have preferred to keep Norway the way that it was, but I know that change is inevitable and I still love the rest of the pavilions.

Epcot's real problem stems from their lack of innovation since the gates opened - they destroyed the best part of that park when they gutted Innoventions. There is nothing "Prototype" or "Tomorrow" about this park anymore.

The IG station is in an area that wouldn't require a permit from the South Florida Water Management District and these are were we normally get diagrams from. With that said, the station will be somewhere in this location.

View attachment 232537

That stinks. We're BC fans, and the ease of the IG is a big plus. I'm not keen on having it now become as packed as the regular entrances. And, where that station is, not only will you have to walk under the gondolas to get to Epcot, but the track will block out the park views at that end of BC. Blech.

A big thing to think about is that the gondolas would not stop. They would constantly be coming and taking 10 people at time, dropping off 10 people at a time. 10 more people coming in IG is less than those who get off the boats. Also, yes at peak times it would be tough but you won't be waiting the length of waiting for a bus, just a minute or so for the next gondola.

I would think walking up and being able to get right on DOES add value rather than waiting for a bus, even if it does technically move slower. If you had to wait 10 minutes for the bus, but got on the gondola right away, I would think you would be at your destination in a similar time frame. Plus it always helps to be moving (even slowly) rather than sitting waiting.

If you look early in this thread, I give estimated travel times for each of the legs. I think you'll find that if you board a gondola at the same time you boarded a bus, the gondola will get you there faster, 9 out of 10 times. You then have to factor the time waiting to board. Bus waits are random. Gondolas will be a bit more consistent, but likely to be a bit longer at high traffic times.
My guess is it will not be and advantage from the IG to DHS or the return. However, the other trips will likely be quicker consistently. I think you'll be loving life is you are staying at South Trinidad.

Isn't gondola travel pretty slow? If so, I don't see the value add for DVC buyers?
While it may not be as fast as a bus in terms of miles per hour, the great thing with gondolas is that there's no traffic and constant circulation. This means that even though the gondola might travel at only 10-20 mph, as compared to a bus traveling upwards of 30 mph, it may take less time to go from point a to point b on a gondola because your constantly moving. Not only do I think this is a great idea for a new, quicker, more efficient way of transport, but it also relieves much of the bus traffic going between all of the destinations that would make up the new gondola line.

I would think walking up and being able to get right on DOES add value rather than waiting for a bus, even if it does technically move slower. If you had to wait 10 minutes for the bus, but got on the gondola right away, I would think you would be at your destination in a similar time frame. Plus it always helps to be moving (even slowly) rather than sitting waiting.

and how often do you wait only 10 minutes for a bus? Moving is always better than waiting.....

Please announce one for AKV/L..........
I don't know if just the AKL could support a gondola line. However, I could possibly see one between AKL, AK, All Stars, Blizzard Beach, and Coronado Springs. I mean they did announce a new tower at Coronado just like the one at Caribbean Beach. What if they both would have some form of aerial transport plans be a part of the expansions/renovations? Anyways, this area of the resort does seem to lack in transportation options other than buses, and we all know there are rumors for new transportation options at AKL, so it wouldn't be too bad of an idea or far fetched for a gondola system on this side of the resort as well. As always this is just an idea and probably will never happen.

Curious to know if the gondolas will be able to accomodate the inflex of guests with strollers.

Gonna have to dispute that. I have spent some time trying to research that number and I can't find it. If the buses really only got 2.5mpg and have a 125 gallon tank, then that's only 312 miles before they need a refill. Disney uses some natural gas buses and some hybrids so while I get your point, I dispute the 2.5mpg figure.

When those buses only travel 25 miles per hour that makes 12 hours between fills with a 125 gallon tank but most motor coaches have a 250 gallon tank. Don't know if they limit tank size to accommodate lower floors on ADA compliant buses. CNG buses have a 350 mile range. http://www.afdc.energy.gov/pdfs/mod03_cng.pdf

The government stats say transit buses average 3.25 mpg. That is 30% higher but most transit buses don't usually idle for 5 minutes at every stop loading and unloading ECVs. http://www.afdc.energy.gov/data/10310

Last edited:
The estimated MPG on a Disney bus was 4-6 MPG when I drove there. My guess is it's not much different now. The fleet was 2/3rds old RTS buses to 1/3 Gillig and Nova's, now is 1/3rd older Nova's and Gilligs and 2/3rds newer Gilligs and a few newer Nova's. A couple of New Flyers mixed in there but all the RTS's have been retired. Tank capacity was 125 Gallons.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter