Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

so who else besides me isn't planning on going on it EVER....nope....no way....

I have no problem with it...based on if they build it with enough capacity.

And...if they don't increase the cost of those hotel rooms by 100% and try to sell lipstick for that pig.

I'm more excited that they're gonna dredge a channel under everything in the back of Epcot to tap in to caribbean's "prime" location ;)

Not really sure how you compare a cable car company to walmart.... A fair comparison would be to something like Otis with elevators.

Yes...much better comparison

I was going for "only game in town"...and always reminding that Walmart sucks ;)

LOL, That's exactly why I wouldn't compare them to Walmart. You are going to scare everyone from riding them. (Not that that is a bad thing, less traffic :P)

Boy, that one really put a burr in your shorts, huh? Good thing no one compared it to the frendship boats....since they are more of the alternate transportation mode between Epcot and DHS.....

Three pages of seating charts, size of people, how many can really fit in, stripper poles VS. capacity of 10. There's no burr. The comparison ran it's course, and monorails and gondolas are two very different modes.

It'd be like comparing Friendship boats and........gondolas.

Reading the article, I'm not sure it truly confirms anything, as no Disney official commented on it. They are just re-stating the permit stuff, correct? I don't doubt it's happening, but I think the specs of the transport are suspect until Disney or the gondola company make an official comment.

To summarize for those coming late to the thread and haven't read more than a page back.
Yes they are capable of running in lightning, and wind. We don't have an answer on A/C, but it is certainly likely to have some sort of temperature regulation. It's not likely to be a monorail, hanging monorail, nor anything else due to the building shapes issued in permits. They do have the capability to load strollers and ECV's. There are 3 "lines". We don't know if they'll be in our outside the security bubble or a combination there of. They do not need to be extremely high off the ground, just high enough to clear anything in the way. This does not mean, other transport types will be eliminated. If you are afraid of heights or claustrophobic will not be forced to ride it, you will continue to have other transportation options. I have found no evidence that they'll be serving alcohol on them either. Yes it's reliable technology.
Hope that covers most of it. ;)

Three pages of seating charts, size of people, how many can really fit in, stripper poles VS. capacity of 10. There's no burr. The comparison ran it's course, and monorails and gondolas are two very different modes.

It'd be like comparing Friendship boats and........gondolas.
With all due respect I'm agreeing here with @beer dave. A poster posed the question about capacity of the monorail in relation to the just released information about the capacity of the gondolas (something that we had all been wondering and already been discussing before the information was released) and so....we...you know discussed that...

Fairly certain people were just trying to gain an understanding of the scale based on something they were familar with. It's not like that discussion spanned tons and tons of pages in this now 46 page thread.

*have no comment on the pole aspect other than that was an appropriately short discussion that didn't seem to harm the momentum of the overall discussion*

Reading the article, I'm not sure it truly confirms anything, as no Disney official commented on it. They are just re-stating the permit stuff, correct? I don't doubt it's happening, but I think the specs of the transport are suspect until Disney or the gondola company make an official comment.

To summarize for those coming late to the thread and haven't read more than a page back.
Yes they are capable of running in lightning, and wind. We don't have an answer on A/C, but it is certainly likely to have some sort of temperature regulation. It's not likely to be a monorail, hanging monorail, nor anything else due to the building shapes issued in permits. They do have the capability to load strollers and ECV's. There are 3 "lines". We don't know if they'll be in our outside the security bubble or a combination there of. They do not need to be extremely high off the ground, just high enough to clear anything in the way. This does not mean, other transport types will be eliminated. If you are afraid of heights or claustrophobic will not be forced to ride it, you will continue to have other transportation options. I have found no evidence that they'll be serving alcohol on them either. Yes it's reliable technology.
To the bolded--

Well dang there goes my anticipation of riding :lmao:

*j/k..I'm not so certain I would want to go on those with too much alcohol in my system :sick:*

With all due respect I'm agreeing here with @beer dave. A poster posed the question about capacity of the monorail in relation to the just released information about the capacity of the gondolas (something that we had all been wondering and already been discussing before the information was released) and so....we...you know discussed that...

Fairly certain people were just trying to gain an understanding of the scale based on something they were familar with. It's not like that discussion spanned tons and tons of pages in this now 46 page thread.

*have no comment on the pole aspect other than that was an appropriately short discussion that didn't seem to harm the momentum of the overall discussion*

The only interesting thing about this at that point is the size/design/capacity of the system...and whether it will lead to more overall integration of the other properties off the grid...

So it might be bland, but size is the most interesting detail as of now...

The only interesting thing about this at that point is the size/design/capacity of the system...and whether it will lead to more overall integration of the other properties off the grid...

So it might be bland, but size is the most interesting detail as of now...
I thought it was interesting, hence why I brought it up and compared it to the only other similar mode of transportation WDW has. Ya know, something in the air, with stations, and dedicated route lines, that's in an enclosed car, with a definitive capacity, but ya, it's completely irrelevant.

I thought it was interesting, hence why I brought it up and compared it to the only other similar mode of transportation WDW has. Ya know, something in the air, with stations, and dedicated route lines, that's in an enclosed car, with a definitive capacity, but ya, it's completely irrelevant.

I don't disagree...it's a valid question...

This just seems to be one of these weeks where people can't be bothered to read...you know...on a discussion board...

...um...ok...

No, this is based on information not in the permits. The permits never make mention of the a gondola, but the OS has gotten access to e-mails that specifically talk about the details of a gondola system.

Can we bring our own?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter