Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

Restricting access to the Skyliner to only park /resort guests will never happen as long as it's considered a mode of transportation. If you want this, you have to do the same thing to buses, boats, monorails and the ferry at the TTC. Now with security being moved to the TTC, that changes the ferry a bit but because they are not scanning MB's at security, a non park guest could still ride the ferry.

It's a lousy idea from a business standpoint. It's a transportation system, not an attraction. However it is a transportation system that could be an attraction. So, it either stays as is, meaning open to all at no additional cost, or Disney sells tickets to it and all other forms of transportation.

Be careful what you wish for as your wish might just come true. Remember in Tokyo, the monorail requires it's own ticket. Charging for transportation could be implemented at WDW, which would be a huge cash cow. Resort cost won't go down either. That transportation charge to the resorts will just be allocated to another line item.
They charge for parking now too. They also charge for parking at DL. It is only a matter of time that they charge for more at wdw. As the metropolitan area around wdw gets larger and larger, they won’t have a choice.
I was just there 3 weeks ago and we took the boat from Ft Wilderness over to the Contemporary, then monorail over to Poly - we were staying offsite, and no one said a word to us. Every single trip we take the monorail around the resort loop - its part of the fun.
We were also able to walk to the contemporary and then take the monorail back to the magic kingdom from the contemporary. They were only restricting access from the magic kingdom— and only on the resort line. For me this is indicates that they are beginning to think about ways to limit access and that they are starting to acknowledge that there is an issue.

I think you would be very surprised as to how many people ride things without paying for them, but I have no data to back this up. Where else can I ride a plane, bus, boat, train, gondola (I can think of only 2 free gondolas) just to "check it out" without paying for it? The issue I have is that I am paying for this, so why shouldn't they?

It is already a line item that I pay for as a Riviera DVC owner. Anyone who is a hotel guest along the gondolas or park guest is already paying for it as well as a line item. Guests at the Tokyo Disney resorts get a monorail pass. Source is the official Tokyo Disney site:

Convenient Monorail and Shuttle Bus Service for Free
A complimentary pass for the Disney Resort Line monorail, which links the major areas of the Resort, is available for Guests staying at Tokyo DisneySea Hotel MiraCosta or Tokyo Disneyland Hotel. Guests who wish to use the monorail can request a pass at their Hotel or at the Hotel Service Counter on the station level of the Tokyo Disney Resort Welcome Center. Complimentary shuttle bus service aboard the Disney Resort Cruiser is provided between the Disney Ambassador Hotel and the Disney Parks. https://www.tokyodisneyresort.jp/en/hotel/dh/privilege

Also, I believe you can walk instead of using the monorail in Tokyo, so that comparison will not work here as you cannot walk to AoA, Pop, Riviera, or CBR from the parks. If I could walk versus anything else, I am going to walk unless the weather is horrific.

Bottom line, I don't think people should be paying for the gondolas while others ride a mode of transportation for free. Let them pay like we do. That'll cut down on the crowds IMO. If you are staying at one of the resorts which the gondolas service or going to the parks, then you have paid for the right to ride the gondolas. If you aren't, then you need to pay for a pass. Whether it's a minimal number of people or a large number of people riding for free shouldn't matter. Everyone who rides should pay for it rather than only charging hotel and park guests.
This is one where you and I just see things differently and that's okay too. Agreeing to disagree on this point. :)

We were also able to walk to the contemporary and then take the monorail back to the magic kingdom from the contemporary. They were only restricting access from the magic kingdom— and only on the resort line. For me this is indicates that they are beginning to think about ways to limit access and that they are starting to acknowledge that there is an issue.

Sounds like a situation where they'd be trying to keep space on resort monorails for people who are staying at the resorts, and not have TTC parkers just ride the resort monorail all the way to TTC.

Really crowded day or was the Express Monorail down and only Resort up (+Ferry)?

Sounds like a situation where they'd be trying to keep space on resort monorails for people who are staying at the resorts, and not have TTC parkers just ride the resort monorail all the way to TTC.

Really crowded day or was the Express Monorail down and only Resort up (+Ferry)?
The crowds were average the entire week we were there and everything was working.

Where else can I ride a plane, bus, boat, train, gondola (I can think of only 2 free gondolas) just to "check it out" without paying for it?
Lots of places these days. It's becoming common for cities to offer fare-free transit in the city core to reduce traffic congestion and to attract shoppers and diners downtown.

Orlando has several free downtown circulator bus routes.

Tampa recently removed fares from its replica historic streetcar line, has a free downtown circulator bus, and even is experimenting with a free Uber-like service downtown.

Washington D.C. has an extensive free bus system serving many parts of the city.

Major cities in Australia charge no fare on trams within the downtown core.

etc., etc.

Lots of places these days. It's becoming common for cities to offer fare-free transit in the city core to reduce traffic congestion and to attract shoppers and diners downtown.

Orlando has several free downtown circulator bus routes.

Tampa recently removed fares from its replica historic streetcar line, has a free downtown circulator bus, and even is experimenting with a free Uber-like service downtown.

Washington D.C. has an extensive free bus system serving many parts of the city.

Major cities in Australia charge no fare on trams within the downtown core.

etc., etc.

Columbus, OH also has a totally free city bus that circulates between major tourist attractions, hotels, and dining/entertainment areas...it's a great and easy ride...

Columbus, OH also has a totally free city bus that circulates between major tourist attractions, hotels, and dining/entertainment areas...it's a great and easy ride...
I forgot to mention the Staten Island Ferry in NYC, and the Delta ferries in northern CA.

Nothing is “free”. Someone is paying for it be it taxes in those examples provided, hotel fees, DVC fees, part of ticket cost, etc.

I don’t know how these systems came to be free to ride in other cities (vote, mandate, or otherwise), but make no mistake, they aren’t “free” to operate or maintain, and someone is paying for that.

Oh well. I bought into Riviera knowing that I am paying for the gondolas as well as paying for them with park tickets and others will ride it while I pay for the maintenance and operation. That doesn’t mean I am not allowed to suggest others pay for it as well.

Nothing is “free”. Someone is paying for it be it taxes in those examples provided, hotel fees, DVC fees, part of ticket cost, etc.

I don’t know how these systems came to be free to ride in other cities (vote, mandate, or otherwise), but make no mistake, they aren’t “free” to operate or maintain, and someone is paying for that.

Oh well. I bought into Riviera knowing that I am paying for the gondolas as well as paying for them with park tickets and others will ride it while I pay for the maintenance and operation. That doesn’t mean I am not allowed to suggest others pay for it as well.
If you believe this then ask the people of Orlando how they feel about all of us 'tourists' driving on their roads. You and I are not paying those taxes.

Disney transportation is 'free' to all who wish to ride it....and I'm glad!

They charge for parking now too. They also charge for parking at DL. It is only a matter of time that they charge for more at wdw. As the metropolitan area around wdw gets larger and larger, they won’t have a choice.
Yes, they charge for parking at the resorts and charge for parking at the parks. Which is why I said be careful what you wish for. Disney is looking to squeeze every bit of $$ out of the parks. Up charge events, preferred parking, less staff, taking away the special little perks you used to get as a guest, lesser quality food, etc. All examples of making the buffalo on the nickle squeal. Charging a guest for transportation (out of pocket) is low hanging fruit that is ripe for plucking but will also cause a huge uproar, more so than adding the resort parking charge.

Disney always has a choice, they can do what they want to within reason in FL. Doesn't matter how large the metropolitan area surrounding WDW gets. Parking at DTD is still free despite the 3 new garages. Why? Because those are technically owned by Reedy Creek, who passed the bonds to fund them.

If you believe this then ask the people of Orlando how they feel about all of us 'tourists' driving on their roads. You and I are not paying those taxes.
Most roads are paid for by federal dollars or gas taxes. So assuming the "tourists" buy gas in the state or pay federal income taxes they are supporting the cost of the roads. Also Florida does have high tourism taxes specifically to consider these additional costs, which is why Florida can get by without an income tax.

But overall it is important to remember the net positive that these guests/tourists provide to Disney or the state of Florida. But I think @TexasChick123 is just trying to say that as a DVC owner she may be paying a full share of the Skyliner cost without any offset for those riding it that aren't staying at a Disney resort (perhaps you could argue those on the Skyliner can have access) nor have a park ticket. It's hard to say because Disney isn't clear about how they assign the transportation costs to DVC since it is treated as a contractor rather than a realized cost. So it is a valid point and concern as a DVC owner but strictly speaking I see the other points that Disney hasn't traditionally restricted transportation because it provides a net positive to their bottom line (food and merchandise purchases are the biggest that come to mind for those not staying at a resort or going to the parks).

But at WDW staying at there hotel, you have to take some form of transportation to get to the parks. Except for a few hotels, Broadwalk area.
people are only going to stand for just so much ripping off. You can not charge high hotel prices , high park priced, Then tell them you have to pay for a bus to take you to park you can not walk to.

Well, of course somebody is ultimately paying for it. In the case of free transit, it's generally from some form of tax, or subsidized by an NGO such as a chamber of commerce, or a combination of those two.

That doesn't make it any less free, as defined by https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/free
Definition of free (Entry 1 of 3) :not costing or charging anything​

In the case of the Skyliner (and other Disney transit) for non-resort guests, Disney is paying for the same reasons as downtown core transit: to reduce traffic congestion and encourage visitation of different areas on property. They can choose to recoup that cost any way that the market will support.

Yikes. Only two days into operation and it's closed for 'routine maintenance'? That's a bummer, and rather troubling. It suggests to me that they found a problem they didn't see during construction/cast previews, and they're scrambling to fix it.
Yeah, the "routine maintenance" comment seems pretty disingenuous. Maybe they're replenishing all the emergency kits...

Disney transportation is 'free' to all who wish to ride it....and I'm glad!
Actually... we pay about $30 in tolls to the state of Florida every time we go to wdw, even more when we cruise out of Miami. It is no accident that Florida charges tolls on so many roads. It’s so outsiders pay.

All of these free “downtown district” type “trolleys” (aka bus lol), etc., that people are citing are a completely different situation. The free city “go nowhere” transport systems are mostly examples of attempts to get people into generally unappealing downtown areas. Yes, Disney wants people to come to their property regardless and hopefully spend money. But, only if it does not adversely affect their bread and butter. Over time— and I say this because the gondola already appears to have a line issue during this very low crowd period where RIV isn’t even open yet- over time, Disney will have to deal with serious overcrowding on the gondola. It will happen. The question is what will they do? I hope they will be able to continue to offer the system for free for paying guests and charge non paying guests. They already charge for parking to combat overcrowding at their hotels. Ultimately, they will have to prioritize the guest experience. The gondolas are a different ball game than buses. They are more exotic and will encourage people to make an afternoon of simply riding on the gondola if it is free.

Obviously this is all hearsay but a lady on a bus last night said she walked up, just moments after the Pop/AOA line stopped yesterday afternoon and was told that there was a “fault in the line.” I thought it was weird that they would say that but makes me wonder since it is down again today. We drove by on magical express at 11 this morning and it wasn’t running.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter