Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

Yeah, the "routine maintenance" comment seems pretty disingenuous. Maybe they're replenishing all the emergency kits...

You know, that's completely a possibility. Disney noticed that a lot of those kits were being broken into or going missing so they're re-outfitting the kits so it's harder/impossible to do that. I wouldn't be surprised, I thought the notion of having those kits out and easily accessible was asking for trouble.

I'm at Pop now and it's still down with CMs saying there is no ETA. We rode it the first day and really enjoyed it. No stopping from Pop to CBR and back. On the way back from EPCOT at closing the line was past the entrance signs, but moved quickly (10mins) and stopped 2 or 3 times for short periods. Total time about 35-40 minutes. Haven't ridden it since with it being down. It's a shame since the CMs were so excited and proud the first day, they must be kind of bummed.

I don't understand why someone would avoid riding in a Gondola for 5 minutes even if it is the same temp as outside. The same outside they are walking around in all day while at the parks.
Because they're afraid they will be stuck for hours and hours if it breaks down? I will wait to pass judgment if and when this happens.

Hey, they are moving again must have been a lucky post! Can't tell for sure, but don't think they have any people on them yet.

Obviously this is all hearsay but a lady on a bus last night said she walked up, just moments after the Pop/AOA line stopped yesterday afternoon and was told that there was a “fault in the line.” I thought it was weird that they would say that but makes me wonder since it is down again today. We drove by on magical express at 11 this morning and it wasn’t running.

obviously anything is possible but would really be something if that is case even after all the days and months of testing they did

Yeah, this morning after I posted about being redirected to the buses. Found out only the Pop/AoA line was down but was fixed... LOL Board the skyliner and after I was already boarded and blocked in, the attendant asked where I was headed and told me that Pop was down hut once I got to CBR they had buses running. Once at CBR, I was told the bus would come every 20 mins. It took only 3 and I was the only person on it. I saw several of these types of runs today too

Hoping all the teething issues are sorted soon. My family and I have watched a bunch of ride videos now. It looks so cool! We’re eagerly anticipating our Thanksgiving trip so we can check this out. My son will love it!

Obviously this is all hearsay but a lady on a bus last night said she walked up, just moments after the Pop/AOA line stopped yesterday afternoon and was told that there was a “fault in the line.”

obviously anything is possible but would really be something if that is case even after all the days and months of testing they did
One meaning of "fault" is error indication. It doesn't necessarily mean there was a broken strand, just that some indicator was reporting a problem, and maybe they're having trouble getting it to clear -- either because they can't find the problem, or because it's a bad sensor or something awry in the circuitry.

(They may have said "fault on the line", not "in the line".)

Regarding fault, the terminology suggests an electrical fault like a tripped breaker.

Modern lifts use a lot of high voltage electricity, even when they have diesel engines they're generating electricity for a powerful electric motor the same way a train does. If they're drawing off the public grid, there may be a capacity issue. The good news is that kind of thing can be worked out eventually.

You know, that's completely a possibility. Disney noticed that a lot of those kits were being broken into or going missing so they're re-outfitting the kits so it's harder/impossible to do that. I wouldn't be surprised, I thought the notion of having those kits out and easily accessible was asking for trouble.

That’s why most resorts have them hidden out of sight now. People love free stuff.

Somehow, I doubt that you'll have to wait very long. The minute it happens, that parent is likely to raise holy h*** on social media about it -- because, after all, the phone & everything it does for you is a lifeline, right? :rolleyes:
but even that might not be able to get parent the child right back as system most likely not be able to be backed up. so child is on ride moving away and parent has no way to get there before child. phone or no phone messages or as you say he--. what good is an E stop after car has left the station? and yes I see it happening

Not sure whether they are proactively and rigorously enforcing everyone being seated but if not, there will be guests standing in the gondolas for one reason or another. This enforcement can cause delays.

If guests took too long to get on and off then there will b e delays.

Voltage for the large motors that move the gondola cable is probably in the 500 to 1000 volt range.

"Fault" is a buzz word in electrical terminology. It is an unwanted touching of wires or metal parts, often resulting in a short circuit or an abnormally large current flow or an electrocution hazard..

Resort rates are set and/or discounts offered depending on how much revenue can be had from both room bookings and park/restaurant spending, given past trends and also some guesswork given added amenities such as the Skyliner.

Last edited:
...(I can remember before Downtown Disney when the DL Monorail was free to ride round trip from the DL Hotel. They had 1 or 2 cars where they didn't open the doors at the TL station.)
My family made the trek from N. Ca. to DL to stay at the DL Hotel (pre GC, Paradise Pier) every year for years and I didn’t know they had non park exit monorail cars. Of course, we always had park tickets - so no reason to know I guess. My biggest worry was that the invisible ink they used to stamp your hand at the monorail exit so you could go back to DL later would wash off from swimming in the pools @ the hotel.

I'm staying at Pop this week and I rode the skyliner back from HS tonight. I think there is an issue with the W.A.V.E. system. At both CBR and Pop/AoA there were construction blocking the entrance to these cabins and nobody manning the system. We also were stopped for a couple minutes and I assume that is how they are loading ECV and "slower loaders" now.

We took the Skyliner from EPCOT tonight after EMH 11pm close. No wait, walked right on, no stops, transferred to Pop at CBR hub. We were surprised it was running.

CM pulled a bunch of weights out of the car in front of us lol.

Took 23 mins from beginning to end and very enjoyable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter