Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

Cabins definitely can transfer from one rope to another at stations. That's what happens at turning stations; the cabins enter the station on one rope loop and exit on another.

The equivalent of track switches are used at stations on combined lifts, which run chairs and gondolas on the same rope. Chairs are routed to one loading platform, and gondolas to a different one. I don't know whether switches have ever been used to route cabins to a choice of multiple destinations from a station; seems like it would require a rather complex setup.

IMO, if more gondola routes are installed, they will be for local transport between hubs and nearby resorts. But really we're all just speculating here. There are numerous solutions that Disney could choose for expanding their transportation, and no indication that there will be any gondolas beyond what's currently rumored.

Yeah, I know that they can be transferred, and originally that is what I figured they would do. But as @umichigan10 pointed out, the could cause issues with CBR guests being upset that an endless stream of full gondolas from POP go by. I've also never seen a system that could move from one rope to two different ropes, or two ropes to one rope. Not saying it isn't possible, but I haven't seen it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the gondolas from HS to Epcot were all one "line" with POP being a spur, so everyone from POP would have to transfer at CBR, but people going from EPCOT to HS wouldn't.

I agree with you, and is the point that I was attempting to make, that I think gondolas will be from resorts to a nearby park, but not a full out grid.

I've always been a little surprised that Epcot wasn't the home of the transportation center. I get some of the need at MK. However, geographically Epcot seems like the hub of the world.

I think Disney Springs needs a connection, but I don't see that happening any time soon, until the concept proves to be a cost saver for WDW. If what is currently planned proves to be a success. I could a spur that connects OKW and SSR and Disney springs, maybe POR. I also think AKV needs to connect to AK, and beyond.
I'm not sure there needs to be a full central hub, but certainly it would be nice if there is some inter linking. At some point a direct bus would be the quicker option than taking one line all the way to the central hub and to the opposite side of WDW. However, for park hopping and the like it might be a good choice, and therefore relieve the busses of some load.

I've always been a little surprised that Epcot wasn't the home of the transportation center. I get some of the need at MK. However, geographically Epcot seems like the hub of the world.

Epcot was supposed to be the hub of the monorail system. When Epcot was being built there were plans for a spur line from there over to Disney Village (now Disney Springs).
When Disney-MGM Studios was being built there were also concept maps released by Disney that showed a monorail line from Epcot over to the Stuidos.
Neither of those connections were ever built, of course.

At several points in history there have also been plans to build high speed rail or Maglev systems from the Orlando International Airport over to the tourist areas. Disney would typically predicate their support for such projects on the station being built at Epcot. They would usually oppose the system if it had any planned stops on I-Drive. One such instance was the Maglev that was almost built:
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...240036_1_maglev-train-wiedenbeck-train-disney

The rendering is really vague, you don't see a good look of the actual profile of the vehicle. It'll be interesting to see what they look like

These do seem like more marketing type drawings than anything else. I expected them to go with the 8-10 capacity vehicles. I'm also glad to see they added that theming in the drawings. I'd love to see that haunted mansion one go by with the hitchhiking ghosts!

These do seem like more marketing type drawings than anything else. I expected them to go with the 8-10 capacity vehicles. I'm also glad to see they added that theming in the drawings. I'd love to see that haunted mansion one go by with the hitchhiking ghosts!

Capacity of people in each vehicle will have to take into consideration maximum weight issues

Most definitely, the windows are a nice touch

Capacity of people in each vehicle will have to take into consideration maximum weight issues

My gut feeling is they'll probably put each party into one unless you're alone or a couple. They'd probably have to split up larger groups but I'm sure they can survive for a few minutes. So, family of 4 with a double stroller in one car. Group of 10, separate out into 5/5 or 6/4, probably won't want kids in one alone so at least one "adult" there with a group of kids. If it's not busy, you could send a couple along on their own especially since the cars might not fully stop. I'm just kinda spitballing/train of thought on the process of the loading. They probably want to keep it pretty loose since it's a better alternative to packing onto a bus.

My gut feeling is they'll probably put each party into one unless you're alone or a couple. They'd probably have to split up larger groups but I'm sure they can survive for a few minutes. So, family of 4 with a double stroller in one car. Group of 10, separate out into 5/5 or 6/4, probably won't want kids in one alone so at least one "adult" there with a group of kids. If it's not busy, you could send a couple along on their own especially since the cars might not fully stop. I'm just kinda spitballing/train of thought on the process of the loading. They probably want to keep it pretty loose since it's a better alternative to packing onto a bus.

Should be interesting with strollers and wheel chairs

Wondering if the Skyway will run during the frequent thunderstorms.

My husband and I were chatting about the gondolas today. I am wondering if they are going to be conceptualized and marketed as transportation, or as an attraction requiring FastPasses. I can see the whole system devolving into just another slow ride rather than the location-to-location transportation that it is being touted as. Watching with interest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter