Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

Without too much detail, something like that would be nearly impossible to do while the system is running.
Believe it or not..there is still a lot of apprehension on social media about the safety of this system...so we will see if WDW responds, probably not.

Without too much detail, something like that would be nearly impossible to do while the system is running.
Believe it or not..there is still a lot of apprehension on social media about the safety of this system...so we will see if WDW responds, probably not.

Apprehension about the Skyliner, like many things in life, likely comes from a lack of understanding

Yup. A 2 inch braided cable is not something you can cut through with a pair of garden loppers, or even a bolt cutter from Lowe’s. This was a slow, deliberate vandalism, and it could not have been done on a cable that’s slipping by at 8-10mph.

They will check (should check) every foot of the cable by doing a dry run prior to opening the gondola system for the day.

One broken strand on the cable can cause a great deal of damage if allowed to continue in operation. It could cause the cable to come off of the pulleys on the support tower and fall to the ground, gondolas and all. In years past on the San Francisco cable car system, a broken strand has caused a car to get stuck in motion and hit someone/something before the driver realized it and managed to set the emergency brake.

I would not want to be the ninth or tenth person to get on a gondola with strangers, unless there are handholds for standees like on the subway.. There isn't time to verify that everyone is seated before the gondola has to take off. This would limit the usefulness of a single rider line at the station.

Last edited:
Not trying to be a Debbie downer, and I’m more than sure Disney has some serious security safe guards but this was just in the news up in Canada and their Gondala system looks just like Disney...

foxnews.com/world/sky-to-sky-gondola-cable-cut-canada

Yup. A 2 inch braided cable is not something you can cut through with a pair of garden loppers, or even a bolt cutter from Lowe’s. This was a slow, deliberate vandalism, and it could not have been done on a cable that’s slipping by at 8-10mph.
I thought battery powered angle grinders had taken over as the cutting tool of choice

I thought battery powered angle grinders had taken over as the cutting tool of choice

See, this is what happens when I stepped into this conversation without any real knowledge. Oh well...

Time for some of our engineers on here to weigh in. And leave us medical types out of it :-)

Apparently you've never used an angle grinder with a cut off wheel. The guy is very lucky the cable didn't take him with it though.
Yeah, I was thinking more of the tension aspect. I worked on my garage door a couple months ago and watched many YouTube videos to make sure I handled the springs safely.

Yeah, I was thinking more of the tension aspect. I worked on my garage door a couple months ago and watched many YouTube videos to make sure I handled the springs safely.
Yeah, there is a YouTube video that shows them purposely failing a chairlift cable. It was extremely violent.

There's already people posting about it on the Disboards Facebook group, cue more things for everyone to flip out about for the next month. FLYING DEATH OVENS THAT RANDOMLY FALL FROM SKY

You left out the ...(FROM SKY) INTO MANEATING, GATOR-INFESTED SWAMP WATER part.

Steve

DH says you both forgot the deadly amoebas in the water! :rotfl2:

They will check (should check) every foot of the cable by doing a dry run prior to opening the gondola system for the day.

One broken strand on the cable can cause a great deal of damage if allowed to continue in operation. It could cause the cable to come off of the pulleys on the support tower and fall to the ground, gondolas and all. In years past on the San Francisco cable car system, a broken strand has caused a car to get stuck in motion and hit someone/something before the driver realized it and managed to set the emergency brake.

I would not want to be the ninth or tenth person to get on a gondola with strangers, unless there are handholds for standees like on the subway.. There isn't time to verify that everyone is seated before the gondola has to take off. This would limit the usefulness of a single rider line at the station.
Fyi, modern system have cable catchers that will catch a derailed cable. The catchers have kill switches in them that E-stop the system if activated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter