Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

Agreed, It is truly amazing what can happen over night at Disney, yet other things seemingly take forever.
I'm starting to believe that it will be a phased opening on the skyliner. I'm thinking the dhs line first, followed by the Pop/AOA line then lastly the IG/Riviera line.
I think the bell weather has to be the hub station. IF that looks ready to go then things can happen, without it non of the others will run.

I honestly think they could have pushed for a Memorial Day opening, had they not slowed down construction on MMRR to get SWGE open before September. But if I had to guess, all extra resources have been diverted to getting Batuu open, which then has a cascade effect on all other current projects.

Maybe I'm overly nervous, but I'm not feeling too comfortable when I'm by myself about being in a closed cabin with roughly 10 strangers way up high where no one's close by to come to my aid if I scream. At least on rides, even the monorail, you're never that far from CMs. What if someone claims "He touched me inappropriately up there". But then, ski gondolas have worked successfully for years, so no doubt I'm worried for nothing.

Umm, maybe some of the 8 other people in the cabin would come to your aid??? Maybe I am the crazy one, but I don’t think there are that many horrible people in the world. Or that there are that many men looking to assault a woman who by coincidence just happens to be within arm’s length of him. It is not like the man could stop the gondola & assault you, in front of other people no less. The cabin will keep moving & at the end, you would report him to the next CM I would assume. But you should have time as you are walking up the ramp to check out the other people headed up. If you start out near a group of men who make you nervous, just slow down. Let a few other groups walk past you & you should get placed with a different group. I am a woman in my 60’s, but a wife, mother, sister & daughter of very fine men. I find it really upsetting when it is implied that all men are potential abusers & assaulters of every woman they come across & to be feared. I know you didn’t say you were afraid of all men, but it seems to be such a blanket statement about being with strangers that I couldn’t help but reply.

Edit to add: you are not close to any CM on the Epcot/ MK loop for what 7 minutes or so, which is about the same amount of time as any gondola loop too. The one driver in the lead monorail car certainly can’t get to anyone in need of assistance along the way. So you will have the same CM contact on the gondola as you would on that monorail loop.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm overly nervous, but I'm not feeling too comfortable when I'm by myself about being in a closed cabin with roughly 10 strangers way up high where no one's close by to come to my aid if I scream. At least on rides, even the monorail, you're never that far from CMs. What if someone claims "He touched me inappropriately up there". But then, ski gondolas have worked successfully for years, so no doubt I'm worried for nothing.

Yes, you are overly nervous, or at least, a tad irrational in this fear. Think about it logically: in a crowd of 8 or more strangers, the odds of one being a baddy are maybe 10% if you are being very cautious. However, the odds of that baddy being reckless enough to molest someone in an enclosed but transparent capsule with 7 other strangers present is MUCH lower than that. Remember always that there is safety in numbers; the more people around you, the safer you are.
I'd be a lot more cautious about being alone in a gondola with one stranger if being molested were my worry, but with the cars being glass right down to the floor, a criminal would have to be a whole lot dumber than average to try something in plain view of hundreds of people.

Personally, I'm a lot more worried about having to tolerate bad language. That *is* a favorite stunt of people who enjoy making others uncomfortable, and I see it at theme parks more often than I'd like. (I'm capable of cursing like a stevedore given proper provocation, but I prefer not to do it in front of children, mine or anyone else's.)

I am a woman in my 60’s, but a wife, mother, sister & daughter of very fine men. I find it really upsetting when it is implied that all men are potential abusers & assaulters of every woman they come across & to be feared.

Surely you are aware that the previous poster said absolutely nothing of the kind, right? In fact she didn't even say it was specifically men she was cautious about.

Your whole post smacks of someone who has never experienced sudden violence or crippling anxiety and doesn't have the natural empathy to realize that not everyone comes from the same comfortable viewpoint regarding strangers that you do.

Surely you are aware that the previous poster said absolutely nothing of the kind, right? In fact she didn't even say it was specifically men she was cautious about.

Your whole post smacks of someone who has never experienced sudden violence or crippling anxiety and doesn't have the natural empathy to realize that not everyone comes from the same comfortable viewpoint regarding strangers that you do.

Nope, I do have lots of natural empathy. I have been an RN for over 40 years. You don’t go into that profession or last 40 years without empathy. And I did say the poster didn’t say she was afraid of all men. But since she brought up a “he touched me” situation, I feel pretty sure it was men she was talking about. I made a general statement. And also gave suggestions to how she might deal with the situation.

And apparently I’m not the only one who feels this is an irrational fear.

Personally, I'm a lot more worried about having to tolerate bad language. That *is* a favorite stunt of people who enjoy making others uncomfortable, and I see it at theme parks more often than I'd like. (I'm capable of cursing like a stevedore given proper provocation, but I prefer not to do it in front of children, mine or anyone else's.)

That was one thing I was worried about - if in with other people that use bad language - hard to get away from them and speaking up and asking them not to could make things awkward

But at the end of the day the trips are like 5 minutes so I think we will survive

Personally, I'm a lot more worried about having to tolerate bad language. That *is* a favorite stunt of people who enjoy making others uncomfortable, and I see it at theme parks more often than I'd like.
I think it boils down to how much power are you willing to give people over you. If you invest a lot in shielding your children from that kind of conduct by others, then you're pretty-much giving those people the power that their stunt was intended to gain for them. If you instead invest in teaching more of a "that's them; this is us" way of seeing the world, you're stealing those people's thunder.

Sadly I think bad language is something that bothers me more than it does my 10yo. While we don't use that type of language in our home, it is all around us. I grew up in a time where much of the language that is now used on a daily basis in my work place was completely unacceptable. SO many people use it in stores, on the streets, just generally around us that I'm not sure my dd's ears 'hear' it as much as I do.

I think it boils down to how much power are you willing to give people over you. If you invest a lot in shielding your children from that kind of conduct by others, then you're pretty-much giving those people the power that their stunt was intended to gain for them. If you instead invest in teaching more of a "that's them; this is us" way of seeing the world, you're stealing those people's thunder.
Very valid point. I use it a lot coaching youth sports.........."I don't care what they did.....this is how WE do it, and this is what I expect of you."

Oh, I generally endeavor to ignore it when it happens in public, and I certainly wouldn't make a scene over it, but sometimes when it is really bad in a theme park queue and I want to enjoy myself instead of silently seethe, I'll do the "step-aside and let them go first" tactic. Like I said, I'm no prude, and I don't delude myself that my kids don't know those words, but in my world they are for using in anger, and I just don't like such tense atmospheres when I'm supposed to be doing something fun.

Bad language in a confined space with no place to escape to pretty much requires that the offended person speak up. The offender needs to be told that the language is not appropriate. Awkward? Yes, for them.

I think the odds of having a good or great experience if you need to share is much higher than a bad one.
As I posted before we rode the Gondolas in Telluride and the former Mayor was with us and gave us a great history of the Gondolas

That's true - but I also have the right to not have to be subjected to that inappropriate and unacceptable behavior and have the right to speak up

Like I said, trips are short, it's not the end of the world but still shouldn't have to put up with it and just say "that is them, not us" ... Should we do the same if they cut lines or damage property or litter?

Bad language in a confined space with no place to escape to pretty much requires that the offended person speak up. The offender needs to be told that the language is not appropriate. Awkward? Yes, for them.

Uh yeah, you might want to be careful where and to whom you speak up. Some places/situations might get you more than you bargained for. Sometimes just ignoring truly is the best way to handle it. 30 years of CTA experience here. :)

Body odor seems the most likely to offend to me. o_O

I’m definitely entertained by the fears of profanity. I think we’ve had immunity training at the hands of my sister for years. :rotfl2:

Body odor seems the most likely to offend to me. o_O

I’m definitely entertained by the fears of profanity. I think we’ve had immunity training at the hands of my sister for years. :rotfl2:

Oh, it's not FEAR of profanity; it is distaste for profanity in inappropriate situations. (I really don't care if someone curses if he stubs his toe; that's only a moment and it is an understandable reaction to pain. It's when every sentence is liberally laced with it that it gets on my nerves.)

I don't usually speak up for just the reason Farro mentions; these days too many people get violent if you question their behavior. However, if I encounter lots of gratuitous cursing in inescapable situations, it's a sure bet that I'm going to start avoiding those situations.

That's true - but I also have the right to not have to be subjected to that inappropriate and unacceptable behavior and have the right to speak up

Like I said, trips are short, it's not the end of the world but still shouldn't have to put up with it and just say "that is them, not us" ... Should we do the same if they cut lines or damage property or litter?

I can sympathize with people not wanting their kids to hear much “bad” language before they’re old enough to choose their own words rather than simply repeat them.

That said, the only “rights” in the situation are for them to speak, and for you to speak a reminder that there’s children present or a request they stop. There’s no “right” to not hear something you consider offensive, because that’s entirely in the eye of the beholder.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter