• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Springs Awful?

We enjoyed it but we went during the holidays, so enjoyed seeing the themed trees. We also really enjoyed our dinner at Raglan Road and looking at the large Disney store. We aren't huge shoppers so that was really all we did there, I don't know that we would have planned it if we hadn't been staying at POFQ where we just had to take a boat.

we love it. If you're a "get the most bang for your buck" kind of person, then I can see not caring for it since it's mostly retail stores and restaurants.

We love it b/c I vastly prefer TS dining to QS (I'm on vacation, don't judge me) and DS has the most TS dining variety on property. Frankly, the TS options at MK and AK aren't that good (Tiffins used to be good before they made the menu super casual), so there's only two parks (HS and EPCOT) with decent TS dining. Many of the resort hotels have good restaurants, but getting to/from the different resorts just for a dinner can be obnoxious, so unless it's a special occasion (Victoria & Alberts, Yachtsman, Jiko), I'm not overly inclined to venture outside my immediate resort vicinity for food.

Don't get me wrong, the options at DS could be better. But at least there's variety with Morimoto, Jaleo, Frontera Cocina, STK, Boathouse, Paddlefish, Terralina, Raglan Road, Homecoming, etc. The dining variety alone (with at least a couple hours at Jock Lindsay's Hangar Bar in between) makes DS a must-do for us every trip.

Our eldest can't stand the new Disney Springs - she says its too big and there are dead ends everywhere. I admit entering from the bus drop thru the shopping area to get to the eateries is a pain. However, we really enjoy Disney Springs more than when it was Downtown Disney. I love entering from Saratoga and using the bridge to avoid the whole shopping area. We love the Boathouse dock and many of the changed eateries. Getting to the West End is a walk now but I do enjoy the Edison and Enzo's Hideaway. I like that they've closed all the smaller stores (like Disney Sports) and compressed them into the World of Disney. We don't shop much. When it comes to Disney Springs we're all about the eateries.

I don't hate it, but it is a big drag now. It used to be a smaller footprint and an easier stroll. Now it's an ordeal and the bus situation is just as bad if not worse than the parks. I still like the boat to it (since that is closest to where I want to shop), but I'm at the point that I will give it a pass a lot of times just because I don't want to walk through the 'mall' portion of the area.

pre COVID, If traveling with my 75 years old dad, we always do one early lunch at Earl of Sandwich. If traveling with my soon to be 24dd, it’s one afternoon for shopping and Earl of Sandwich, then one night of coming to listen to live music and browsing. Her favorite back in the day was Fultons Crab House.

editing to add my dad hates the new layout. DD loves it because more shopping 😩

Ok is it me or does anyone else hate Disney Springs since it was redone?
I dont' hate it but truthfully I don't really remember what it was like as pleasure island and downtown disney. I have a few family photos of us in the 90s around the old shopping area which is now the marketplace but I don't really have any nostalgia tied to it. I just remember as a kid it had lots of bars/clubs and I always thought that it all sounded so cool and mature. LOL!! I think one year we watched a ball drop on TV from DD.

It's a shopping mall and as others have mentioned, it's a draw for those shops that people don't have at home. I do like a few of the restaurants and there are a few stores we enjoy always visiting like the co-op, World of Disney, Basin, Uniqlo and a few others but we mostly like it for food and something to do on our off park days. Most of the other stores are nothing special but it's a good shopping area even for locals.

we love it. If you're a "get the most bang for your buck" kind of person, then I can see not caring for it since it's mostly retail stores and restaurants.

We love it b/c I vastly prefer TS dining to QS (I'm on vacation, don't judge me) and DS has the most TS dining variety on property. Frankly, the TS options at MK and AK aren't that good (Tiffins used to be good before they made the menu super casual), so there's only two parks (HS and EPCOT) with decent TS dining. Many of the resort hotels have good restaurants, but getting to/from the different resorts just for a dinner can be obnoxious, so unless it's a special occasion (Victoria & Alberts, Yachtsman, Jiko), I'm not overly inclined to venture outside my immediate resort vicinity for food.

Don't get me wrong, the options at DS could be better. But at least there's variety with Morimoto, Jaleo, Frontera Cocina, STK, Boathouse, Paddlefish, Terralina, Raglan Road, Homecoming, etc. The dining variety alone (with at least a couple hours at Jock Lindsay's Hangar Bar in between) makes DS a must-do for us every trip.
Not only is DS great for TS dining, but compared to resorts and parks, it's considerably better value for TS as well. Also, Chicken Guy and Early of Sandwich are top notch QS.

I like all of the new dining available and several of the new shops, but am still a bit salty they got rid of Pollo Campero. The same DD area is still there, they just added more. In the past, the westside was not worth going to unless you were going to eat at the restaurants there. There just were not enough interesting shops. We did enjoy Pleasure Island in our BC time(before children). We even saw Drew Carey at the Adventures Club. And let's face it, the bus stop was way too small. They really did need an update and expansion since the existing area was always overcrowded. I would like to see them put in more affordable clothing shops and a few more quick service dining restaurants. One of the reasons why I like to stay at SSR is so that I have easier access to DS for dining. That has never been more important then this last year.

I don't think it's awful. We usually try to squeeze in one visit there on at least every trip. We like the WOD store and a few of the other specialty shops. We also love the dining options and entertainment. It's a nice area to walk around, pick up a few souvenirs, and enjoy dinner.
This may be a dumb question, but Disney springs doesn’t require reservations or a ticket of any kind, right? I want to go to a few restaurants while were camping at fort wilderness.

This may be a dumb question, but Disney springs doesn’t require reservations or a ticket of any kind, right? I want to go to a few restaurants while were camping at fort wilderness.
Nope, no ticket or reservation to enter the area itself. Many of the restaurants require reservations though.

Nope, it's just a normal, outdoor shopping center. Plenty of room.

I still enjoy DS, I am not a local. I was there on mother's day and Memorial weekend.

What I didn't enjoy was the amount of people drinking, that's what didn't feel Disney nor family friendly to me. But I guess that's the new Disney, where children don't matter that much anymore (at least that's what I feel).

I like the place, it is nice and has good free entertainment, I love shopping and dining there.

No, for the most part. It's basically an outdoor mall with shops and restaurants. There should be a few attractions opening that will require an entry fee (like the movie theatre, and parts of the NBA Experience or whatever that ends up being). I don't know if there's a parking fee but there are buses from FW to DS.

We love Disney Springs and usually spend quite a bit of time there. We love the restaurants, generally prefer them to the parks, and have a blast shopping. I like that World of Disney, the Star Wars shops and others often carry things that are in the park so I can wait on having to buy them until a more convenient time. Also enjoy the live music, entertainers and overall atmosphere.

We really enjoy it and always dedicate 1 or 1/2 a day there. Leisurely shopping, snacking, a great dinner, people watching; It's all laid back. The live musicians are often a treat worth stopping for as well.

I have never had any desire to go during previous trips, but I'm not big into spending vacation time shopping. Will actually be going for the first time in August as my sister and her husband are taking us to Wine Bar George.

I think it's fun because there are quite a few stores that aren't at my hometown and I enjoy shopping. I'll try to avoid weekends when I go.

We very seldom have time to visit it. Shopping is not on the top of our vacation list. I will admit we miss the little pony pieces. I think you filled a container. Our girls loved it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter