Disney Wonder 5 night Alaskan August 2 2017

bcwife76

DisneyMomma
Welcome welcome!!:welcome:

Who is joining on this shorter-but-still-fabulous Alaskan cruise?!!

Travelling in our group will be myself, my dh and our two daughters who will be 6 and 8 (she turns 9 3 days after the cruise). We live in Vancouver (just outside) so feel free to ask any questions!!

This will be our 3rd Disney cruise, all on the Wonder! Our second one is coming up in January 2017, going to the Bahama's from Galveston!

Hi! We'll be joining, just placed our deposit! This would be our 2nd cruise, we are from Miami, FL. I'll be traveling with DH, 2 of my boys (12 & 13) unfortunately we'll be leaving the our 3 year old since I think he will not get the full adventure of Alaska and limit our excursions with the older boys. Also traveling with us is my sister/brother inlaw and our niece that will be 7. We plan to go a couple days earlier to be able to explore Vancouver, so any recommendations are much appreciated :)

I'm here :-) I saw your note on the other thread - thanks!

I'm super excited that they offered this shorter cruise. After we did the Alaska 7-night in August 2014 with DCL, we all decided it was our favorite cruise by far. But for future vacations, my DD wanted to go back and spend more time in Vancouver. She fell in love with it when we were there but we only had the one day to explore. My DS just wants to be back on the ship. So this cruise is the perfect compromise. We will spend 3 or 4 days in Vancouver first and then take the cruise.

We would also love to hear suggestions about other things to see in Vancouver. We spent our day last time on Grouse Mountain. My mom was with us then and didn't want to do Capilano bridge so that is one we might do this time. We definitely want to check out Stanley Park.

Oh, it will be me and my two kids (my DH doesn't like to fly so he usually doesn't join us unless the cruise is local, LOL). I'm super excited that my DD will be 18 this time and get to hang out with me in the adult areas and have brunch in Palo for the first time. Our friends are also joining us on this cruise (I'll have to send her the link to this thread) and their DD is the same age as my DS so I'm sure those two will be in the clubs. Although I'm not sure I'm ready to admit that my youngest will be in the Teen Club for the first time, LOL.

Thanks for joining us @jetskigrl ! As someone who has done this cruise before hopefully we can pick your brain about Tracy Arm (best spots, areas to look?) and excursions in Ketchikan. I'm excited because it's a super long port day (9am til nearly 8pm!)

So cool your dd can now join you in the adult areas, that will be fun for her!

Hi!!
We will be joining! Supper excited! We finally placed our deposit today! (We were back and fourth for a while deciding). It will be myself; (Maria age 31) my husband; (Danny age 33) and our daughter; (Tiffany age 7). Cabin #6647.
:yay:
This will be our second Disney Cruise (we sailed on the Magic in December 2015) and this will be the second time my husband and I visit Alaska.
We did an adult only trip for 7 days, Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway and Tracy Arm, on Princess Line in 2013.
I'm excited to bring our daughter along this time so she can experience Alaska and excited that my brother/sister in law with our 2 nephews Luis and Adrian (Lisy54) will be joining! :yay:
We have a lot of time ahead, but still keep us posted on FE rules (if any) and what will be the cut off date for joining so we can get things ready.
Can't wait!! Looking forward to it!!

Awesome! Well I'll be happy to help with questions regarding hotels/transportation/things to do in Vancouver :)
So I was searching around and I think we are liking everything Whistler has to offer and since we have 4.5 days, this may have a little bit of everything we are looking for. We wanted to do a lot of nature exploration but keep it somewhat light since we'll be traveling with 7-13 age range. Do you have any thoughts on Whistler and suggestions for places to look at for accommodations?

So I was searching around and I think we are liking everything Whistler has to offer and since we have 4.5 days, this may have a little bit of everything we are looking for. We wanted to do a lot of nature exploration but keep it somewhat light since we'll be traveling with 7-13 age range. Do you have any thoughts on Whistler and suggestions for places to look at for accommodations?

Whistler is a great place to be in the summer! Lots of great hikes, there's a lake to sunbathe and swim in....fun to walk around the village, go on the Peak to Peak Gondola, etc.
When we've gone to Whistler we've always stayed with family or friends as we know several people who own houses and cottages up there. I have stayed in a hotel once up there, it was for a bachelorette party and we stayed at the Delta Suites, it was a nice property. Most hotels are quite close to the village with some actually in the village so everything is very walkable there. Food, of course, is quite pricey and if you were to rent a condo or hotel room with a kitchen you would find the grocery stores to be few and far between. I would stop in Squamish on the way up (which is between Vancouver and Whistler) to grocery shop.

I'm here :-) I saw your note on the other thread - thanks!

I'm super excited that they offered this shorter cruise. After we did the Alaska 7-night in August 2014 with DCL, we all decided it was our favorite cruise by far. But for future vacations, my DD wanted to go back and spend more time in Vancouver. She fell in love with it when we were there but we only had the one day to explore. My DS just wants to be back on the ship. So this cruise is the perfect compromise. We will spend 3 or 4 days in Vancouver first and then take the cruise.

We would also love to hear suggestions about other things to see in Vancouver. We spent our day last time on Grouse Mountain. My mom was with us then and didn't want to do Capilano bridge so that is one we might do this time. We definitely want to check out Stanley Park.

Oh, it will be me and my two kids (my DH doesn't like to fly so he usually doesn't join us unless the cruise is local, LOL). I'm super excited that my DD will be 18 this time and get to hang out with me in the adult areas and have brunch in Palo for the first time. Our friends are also joining us on this cruise (I'll have to send her the link to this thread) and their DD is the same age as my DS so I'm sure those two will be in the clubs. Although I'm not sure I'm ready to admit that my youngest will be in the Teen Club for the first time, LOL.

Hey, look I found it. You didn't even have to send me the link! LOL! And my DH thinks that your DH really needs to go so he doesn't have to be one of the girls once again. :rotfl2: (and I'm not counting your DS because I'm 99% sure we'll only see him and DD for meals and random sightings during the day)

We are so excited. It will be me, my DH and our DD's who will be 16 (almost 17) and 14. This will be our 2nd Disney Cruise (our first was 5 nights on the Wonder last Oct and LOVED it). And while we wanted to do a 7 night to Alaska we opted for this one due to price this way we can spend some time exploring before the cruise. Our tentative plan is to fly up to Seattle and spend a couple nights there, take the train to Vancouver and spend a few days exploring up there as well before we cruise. I can't wait to start planning.

Welcome aboard!

Our first cruise was Sept 2015 on the Wonder, loved it! I'm looking forward to seeing what they do to her in drydock this Fall but I hope she retains her classic beauty :)

Hey, look I found it. You didn't even have to send me the link! LOL! And my DH thinks that your DH really needs to go so he doesn't have to be one of the girls once again. :rotfl2: (and I'm not counting your DS because I'm 99% sure we'll only see him and DD for meals and random sightings during the day)

We are so excited. It will be me, my DH and our DD's who will be 16 (almost 17) and 14. This will be our 2nd Disney Cruise (our first was 5 nights on the Wonder last Oct and LOVED it). And while we wanted to do a 7 night to Alaska we opted for this one due to price this way we can spend some time exploring before the cruise. Our tentative plan is to fly up to Seattle and spend a couple nights there, take the train to Vancouver and spend a few days exploring up there as well before we cruise. I can't wait to start planning.

Woo Hoo!!! See happy to see you here!! And I'm still working on DH too ;-) He hates flying anywhere but I definitely saw him thinking about it when I told him you guys would be there too :)

Hi, we just placed a deposit for this cruise. We have myself, my husband, a 2 daughters who will be 7 and 10 at cruise time. ( had think about that for a minute). This will be our third cruise on the Wonder. Alaska 2014. Vancouver to San Deigo 2015. We will also be joined by my in laws, for their first cruise. MIL is really excited already talking about what to pack. But we are not telling the kids yet, as it is such a long wait. I have never booked this far in advance. It will be a long wait.

Last edited:
Hey guys just for my own clarification this board is for the Fish Extender gifting right? I wanted to be sure and ask only because I hadn't seen other mentions on it. Lol! You'll have to excuse my ocd lol just want to make sure. Xo - Maria

Hey guys just for my own clarification this board is for the Fish Extender gifting right? I wanted to be sure and ask only because I hadn't seen other mentions on it. Lol! You'll have to excuse my ocd lol just want to make sure. Xo - Maria
This board is for Cruise Meet threads. A place for people on a cruise to discuss together their cruises. Port excursions; ship questions; introductions to each other; set up Fish Extenders, mixology/tasting groups; anything that's of interest to you and the others on your specific cruise. Fish Extenders don't typically have their own threads. Although excessively large Cruise Meet threads (that is, ones with a whole lot of posts/activity) may break out their Fish Extender discussions to a separate thread, sometimes.

As far as I can tell, this cruise meet thread has no Fish Extender group set up. There may be FE groups on other sites, but they are not DISboards connected, and links or search directions to those are not allowed. It's a little early, actually for starting up one. Typically 6-8 months out is a good time to get one started.

This might help, if anyone is interested in setting up a FE group here:
SETTING UP A FE GROUP
It appears there is some interest in a Fish Extender group. There isn’t one currently set up here on DISboards. Here’s a little write up on how FE groups are set up:

There really are no “rules” as to how a FE program runs. Basically someone will step up and say “I’ll maintain the list”. This means they maintain the list of those who wish to participate. The group can decide on what information is necessary to produce FE gifts. A basic list may only have DISname/room number/number of people in the room. A more involved list could be first & last names/ages/room number/ favorite character/ favorite color/allergies/whatever is deemed necessary to know in order to create the gifts. Also a decision can be made as to size of FE group. Some groups break out the list(s) at 10-15 rooms max, so that there are multiple lists (and some people will participate in more than one list). Other groups just make one big list (upwards of 20-30 rooms).

The easiest, most private way to handle the information necessary to prepare the list (many people prefer not to put sensitive information on a public forum), is to use the “Conversation” feature here. There needs to be at least two people to start a conversation. Only the starter of the conversation (usually the organizer) can add additional people into the conversation (as long as they do NOT select “Allow anyone in the conversation to invite others” at the bottom of the reply window). Then when new people express a desire to join, usually by just saying “we want to join the FE”, the organizer can add them by clicking on the “Invite more” button in the “Conversation Participants” window (lower right of conversation page). Only those people participating in the conversation can see what’s posted there, and respond there. I will also note, to participate in conversations, everyone needs to have at least 10 posts. For those who wish to use this option for private conversations that don’t have 10 posts yet, head over to the Test Board to post and up your post count. http://www.disboards.com/forums/test-board.88/

Up to 20 people can participate in any given conversation.

At some point the list will “close”. Typically this happens 30-45 days out from the cruise, so that everyone participating has time to organize/prepare their gifts. Shortly before this time (about 2-3 weeks prior) the organizer will post the list, either directly on the Cruise Meet thread, OR via private conversation, or, possibly, via e-mails. This is to confirm everyone on the list is still participating. It’s important to make a statement about “anyone not confirming by XX date will be dropped” at this time. A little harsh, yes, but often there are people who will post on the cruise meet thread as soon as they reserve the cruise and say “I want to participate”, and are never heard from again.

Once the list closes, the organizer will post the final list. Also, a decision must be made as to whether to allow late additions. Sometimes there is a “pixie dust” list. That is, basically, a latecomers list that gets posted about a week out from the cruise that others may or may not add to their “final” list. Be sure the “pixie dust” list participants realize they may or may not get gifts from others, but are expected to provide gifts for the other FE participants anyway.

The other “biggie” is no other social media sites are allowed to be linked or search directions posted as to how to find that other site here on DISboards. Please read this: http://www.disboards.com/threads/im...uise-meet-and-fish-extender-programs.3353477/

This board is for Cruise Meet threads. A place for people on a cruise to discuss together their cruises. Port excursions; ship questions; introductions to each other; set up Fish Extenders, mixology/tasting groups; anything that's of interest to you and the others on your specific cruise. Fish Extenders don't typically have their own threads. Although excessively large Cruise Meet threads (that is, ones with a whole lot of posts/activity) may break out their Fish Extender discussions to a separate thread, sometimes.

As far as I can tell, this cruise meet thread has no Fish Extender group set up. There may be FE groups on other sites, but they are not DISboards connected, and links or search directions to those are not allowed. It's a little early, actually for starting up one. Typically 6-8 months out is a good time to get one started.

This might help, if anyone is interested in setting up a FE group here:
SETTING UP A FE GROUP
It appears there is some interest in a Fish Extender group. There isn’t one currently set up here on DISboards. Here’s a little write up on how FE groups are set up:

There really are no “rules” as to how a FE program runs. Basically someone will step up and say “I’ll maintain the list”. This means they maintain the list of those who wish to participate. The group can decide on what information is necessary to produce FE gifts. A basic list may only have DISname/room number/number of people in the room. A more involved list could be first & last names/ages/room number/ favorite character/ favorite color/allergies/whatever is deemed necessary to know in order to create the gifts. Also a decision can be made as to size of FE group. Some groups break out the list(s) at 10-15 rooms max, so that there are multiple lists (and some people will participate in more than one list). Other groups just make one big list (upwards of 20-30 rooms).

The easiest, most private way to handle the information necessary to prepare the list (many people prefer not to put sensitive information on a public forum), is to use the “Conversation” feature here. There needs to be at least two people to start a conversation. Only the starter of the conversation (usually the organizer) can add additional people into the conversation (as long as they do NOT select “Allow anyone in the conversation to invite others” at the bottom of the reply window). Then when new people express a desire to join, usually by just saying “we want to join the FE”, the organizer can add them by clicking on the “Invite more” button in the “Conversation Participants” window (lower right of conversation page). Only those people participating in the conversation can see what’s posted there, and respond there. I will also note, to participate in conversations, everyone needs to have at least 10 posts. For those who wish to use this option for private conversations that don’t have 10 posts yet, head over to the Test Board to post and up your post count. http://www.disboards.com/forums/test-board.88/

Up to 20 people can participate in any given conversation.

At some point the list will “close”. Typically this happens 30-45 days out from the cruise, so that everyone participating has time to organize/prepare their gifts. Shortly before this time (about 2-3 weeks prior) the organizer will post the list, either directly on the Cruise Meet thread, OR via private conversation, or, possibly, via e-mails. This is to confirm everyone on the list is still participating. It’s important to make a statement about “anyone not confirming by XX date will be dropped” at this time. A little harsh, yes, but often there are people who will post on the cruise meet thread as soon as they reserve the cruise and say “I want to participate”, and are never heard from again.

Once the list closes, the organizer will post the final list. Also, a decision must be made as to whether to allow late additions. Sometimes there is a “pixie dust” list. That is, basically, a latecomers list that gets posted about a week out from the cruise that others may or may not add to their “final” list. Be sure the “pixie dust” list participants realize they may or may not get gifts from others, but are expected to provide gifts for the other FE participants anyway.

The other “biggie” is no other social media sites are allowed to be linked or search directions posted as to how to find that other site here on DISboards. Please read this: http://www.disboards.com/threads/im...uise-meet-and-fish-extender-programs.3353477/

Thank you for your reply. On our last Disney cruise, the Dis-board was actually specifically for the FE exchange but did include tips and suggestions just like we are having here, I guess different folks do it different. When I didn't see anyone else mention it on here I thought I'd ask so glad I did.

It is definitely early, but I would definitely like to make sure to do the FE exchange (the kids LOVE it) and unless anyone else would like to do it, I'm all for volunteering for maintaining the list. However I am no veteran, this would be my second time around doing it, if anyone has had more experience by all means please speak up.
I'm thinking if by October, nobody has stepped up, then I will take the role of maintaining it with no problem. We can do it on this same thread or we can make another, however you guys suggest.

-Maria

Supper excited!! :sail:

It will be:
Myself; (Maria age 31 - fave character: "Princess Belle")
My husband; (Danny age 33 - fav character: "Grumpy)"
**Husband allergic to ALL NUTS of any kind.
Our daughter; (Tiffany age 7 - "All Princesses").
Cabin #6647
Family Name: Costa
No real special occasion just family vacation. We are going with a large group of family (Sisters / Brothers in law, nephews, mother/father in law, other close family friends also).

Thanks for taking the initiative! Can't wait!!

I will start the FE for our cruise! Please post the following info if you would like to join!

Cabin #
Family name
Travelers Names
Age/Gender
Favorite Characters
Special Occasions
Allergies

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter