Disneyland Half Marathon 2024

FWIW next time I expect to hear anything about DL from RD is September, when they usually post the medals. Beyond that… December or maybe even early January for the race guides and maps.

They might release more bibs for these races but if WDW is any indication, people are much better off following the bots that post about that.

FWIW next time I expect to hear anything about DL from RD is September, when they usually post the medals. Beyond that… December or maybe even early January for the race guides and maps.

They might release more bibs for these races but if WDW is any indication, people are much better off following the bots that post about that.

The bots are almost always faster at reporting openings, and with usually a handful of bibs being offered when/if it does open, by the time someone here posts that it's open, it's probably already closed, again.

<deleted>

I feel like it's not a big ask wanting the discussion in the MW thread to be relevant to MW 🤷‍♂️
<deleted>

I think the heart of the issue here is that different folks have different views on what constitutes "THE EVENT". Some people seem to limit their view of "THE EVENT" to the specifics of the races and the infrastructure around them. I, and I think, a lot of others view "THE EVENT" as a destination race with the environment around the races (Disney in general, parks, resorts, etc) as part and parcel of the race weekend experience. I'm not going to claim that every single SAFD is directly relevant to the race weekend, but in my opinion, the vast majority of them connect to the overall race weekend experience, at least indirectly.

Also my opinion, but I find this board to be a community. One of the highlights of my race weekends are the meet-ups where I get to meet and hang out with the folks I've interacted with online through the applicable race weekend threads throughout the year. These SAFD questions really facilitate the development of that community environment, allowing people to get to know each other better and providing new people a nice space to get involved in a space dedicated to the event they're planning to attend. This group would be greatly diminished for me, if that interaction were to go away. I don't think a separate thread would foster the same sense because it would lack the draw of the associated event encouraging participation.

I find it very disappointing that a small minority (based on post volume on the topic) feel that something that so many seem to enjoy should be done away with for a reason that boils down to "I don't want to have to scroll past things I don't want to see."

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure if we need a weekly WAFDL question, but time will tell. If we run out of good interactive questions, then we'll all notice that folks are not responding as much, and perhaps it will change to a monthly question, or even go away.

In the meantime, having never been to DL, I will follow along and learn interesting things.

Personally, I love a good disagreement, especially when it's with people I like and respect. That is usually difficult on a public message board where we don't really know each other very well, which is why disagreements can turn disagreeable. I just choose to ignore disagreeable people. So let's share are opinions and learn form each other.

For example @camaker and I disagreed on something I cannot even remember a year or two ago. I'm glad it stayed civil because I sat next to him at a meetup at Via Napoli and had a great conversation with him. I now almost look forward to disagreeing with him again, because I find his perspectives very interesting and helpful.

<end of sermon>

Last edited:

I honestly don't know if they'll release more bibs. WDW controls their roads so they can have a much bigger field for each race. Since the 10K and half go on public Anaheim roads, the field sizes have traditionally been smaller. DL is limited by the city while WDW is not.

I honestly don't know if they'll release more bibs. WDW controls their roads so they can have a much bigger field for each race. Since the 10K and half go on public Anaheim roads, the field sizes have traditionally been smaller. DL is limited by the city while WDW is not.

I'm not sure if it's necessarily making the field bigger, but that rD will get people cancelling, not being able to make it for one reason or another. They may figure out how many bibs can then be resold to keep the field the same size as before.

So for the people that don't like the extra discussion, why not just start a new thread with the words "News Only" in the title. Then you can update it and keep it the way you like it. And those that like discussion plus event news can use this thread? I really don't think it's something to fight over?

Personally I like the discussion so I can get to know people and then when I see them at the meet up it feels a lot less awkward because you've learned so much about them over the year. I also don't like a dead thread because I come here to waste time during my work day and I like the sub group of people on this forum. I don't visit or participate in the other forums much because there's just so many people. It doesn't feel personal. I feel like some of the people here are my friends.

I guess my point is no one is forcing you to come here and read these threads. There are plenty of other places on the internet to find strictly event information. So if this site doesn't work for you either find another that fits better or start your own thread and make it what you want.

And on that note, WAFDL- I visited DL once, in 2004, so I'm really looking forward to the new things and especially Cars Land. I'm looking for more info on dining.

I'm not sure if it's necessarily making the field bigger, but that rD will get people cancelling, not being able to make it for one reason or another. They may figure out how many bibs can then be resold to keep the field the same size as before.
^this The bibs drops aren’t huge amounts from what I’ve seen. And while I’m not entirely sure with what rD says if they’re bib cancellations. They’re definitely small enough their something at least.

Unrelated but I am starting the process of switching trainers. Old trainer finally ran his mouth too much and I had the camel back breaking moment. So I might be stalking for a 5k bib. Because the choice to not register for it was based on the old trainer

Who the more I think about it the more rediculous he was being about things.

So for the people that don't like the extra discussion, why not just start a new thread with the words "News Only" in the title. Then you can update it and keep it the way you like it. And those that like discussion plus event news can use this thread? I really don't think it's something to fight over?

Personally I like the discussion so I can get to know people and then when I see them at the meet up it feels a lot less awkward because you've learned so much about them over the year. I also don't like a dead thread because I come here to waste time during my work day and I like the sub group of people on this forum. I don't visit or participate in the other forums much because there's just so many people. It doesn't feel personal. I feel like some of the people here are my friends.

I guess my point is no one is forcing you to come here and read these threads. There are plenty of other places on the internet to find strictly event information. So if this site doesn't work for you either find another that fits better or start your own thread and make it what you want.

And on that note, WAFDL- I visited DL once, in 2004, so I'm really looking forward to the new things and especially Cars Land. I'm looking for more info on dining.
Honestly actually have a consolidated thread for everything just news related. Even with or without WAFDL or SAFD. Might not be a bad idea. Because on topic or not searching around in a thread for news isn’t always the easiest. So to have a place where it’s just that sounds like a good idea

@StarGirl11 sorry to hear about your frustrations with your old trainer, hopefully your new one will be much better

I've only been to WDW once, but DL a lot so this is a really fun WAFDL - I'm learning more and also appreciating DL more!

WAFFLE:

Things I’d say are must do’s….

1. Carsland- this is just really well done. Try to hit it night too to see all the neon. Flo‘s is a solid food choice with lots of seating and the Cozy Cones are fun for snacking.

2. Matterhorn if you can handle jerky coasters. It’s old and different!

3. Storybookland Canal Boats- so sweet and nostalgic fun. You sail through Monstro and then around miniature movie sets. When I was like 4, I remember being terrified Monstro was closing his mouth because he was blinking. Like terrified. And its the tamest ride 🤣

4. Canoes if you want to hate all your life decisions and every child in the boat with you. It will kill your arms. Good times.

2. Facing entrance: Left side is much bumpier than right side.

3. Same!

4. 😂

I didn’t want to say but I’m definitely pessimistic on bibs popping up.

<deleted>

I think the heart of the issue here is that different folks have different views on what constitutes "THE EVENT". Some people seem to limit their view of "THE EVENT" to the specifics of the races and the infrastructure around them. I, and I think, a lot of others view "THE EVENT" as a destination race with the environment around the races (Disney in general, parks, resorts, etc) as part and parcel of the race weekend experience. I'm not going to claim that every single SAFD is directly relevant to the race weekend, but in my opinion, the vast majority of them connect to the overall race weekend experience, at least indirectly.

Also my opinion, but I find this board to be a community. One of the highlights of my race weekends are the meet-ups where I get to meet and hang out with the folks I've interacted with online through the applicable race weekend threads throughout the year. These SAFD questions really facilitate the development of that community environment, allowing people to get to know each other better and providing new people a nice space to get involved in a space dedicated to the event they're planning to attend. This group would be greatly diminished for me, if that interaction were to go away. I don't think a separate thread would foster the same sense because it would lack the draw of the associated event encouraging participation.

I find it very disappointing that a small minority (based on post volume on the topic) feel that something that so many seem to enjoy should be done away with for a reason that boils down to "I don't want to have to scroll past things I don't want to see."

I appreciate your well written response. <deleted> I was against having extra discussion about the event, which I am not. I just don't see the need for the SAFD stuff that was clearly off topic (not that all of it was, but it felt like a lot of it was).

Your response actually shed some light on where I think the disconnect is for me (and presumably the other folks that want SAFD to be its own thing). It seems like for some folks, they don't see this as a topic discussion thread but more like a hangout of people doing the same race. So it's some DLR 2024 runners just hanging out and getting to know each other, regardless of the conversation topic.

I still disagree on having lots of off topic side conversations in a specific race weekend thread, but I can see where you're coming from now.

Last edited by a moderator:

While I do genuinely appreciate the response, as I like to see how other folks feel on the topic, I feel like this is another bad take that keeps getting repeated.

Nobody is asking for this thread to be News Only. I'm not sure why some people are leaping to that extreme or saying Don't cone here, follow runDisney on Twitter instead.

If the weekly discussion prompt is focused on Disneyland, I think that's great. If not, it is what it is, I'll survive 😄

Ok I have a race related question :)
Im going to pre order some merch. The design looks pretty cool to me so I'm kind of hoping it will look similar to the 90s style of the DW Marathon from last month but just in a 50's look.

So an option I was thinking of says jacket/ tee bundle. But it looks like all participants get a participant shirt already. So does anyone know is the participant shirt and the shirt that comes as part of the bundle the same? Or is one more a running material shirt and the other maybe have a different design or something?

But Yeah I get it as far as the other stuff. You sign up for a race you're super excited about 11 months out and then you hit this down time where it's too early to even start training so it's kind of like meh for a while until something happens. I know for me I won't start really training for this in particular until October... But hopefully they'll drop some news or tidbits to keep us curious from time to time until things get closer.

Ok I have a race related question :)
Im going to pre order some merch. The design looks pretty cool to me so I'm kind of hoping it will look similar to the 90s style of the DW Marathon from last month but just in a 50's look.

So an option I was thinking of says jacket/ tee bundle. But it looks like all participants get a participant shirt already. So does anyone know is the participant shirt and the shirt that comes as part of the bundle the same? Or is one more a running material shirt and the other maybe have a different design or something?

But Yeah I get it as far as the other stuff. You sign up for a race you're super excited about 11 months out and then you hit this down time where it's too early to even start training so it's kind of like meh for a while until something happens. I know for me I won't start really training for this in particular until October... But hopefully they'll drop some news or tidbits to keep us curious from time to time until things get closer.
Well its hard to say 100 percent without seeing them of course. Fairly confident in saying no they aren't the same.

The pre order items usually outside of some old exceptions that you could only preorder here and there tend to be things you can buy at the expo once it opens up that weekend. The shirt you get as part of the race weekend is different.

If I had to guess. The t-shirt and jacket will probably be themed to the entire weekend. Where as the race shirts tend to be specifically to the race in question or challenge in the case of dumbo.

Jacket can be all over the board as far as what it looks like. Sometimes their heavier, sometimes their light. They usually are suited for runners though. T-shirt idk since I haven't done that bundle in years. Probably running material but no guarantee.

Pixar Pals Ferris Wheel—swinging car. For some reason this is fairly scary to me in a fun way😂
I don't know what came over me because ferris wheels terrify the bejeezus out of me (I don't like chilling in a small basket so high up with so many stops), but I decided to give the swinging cars a go on my trip last week. Never again. I was so freaked out the entire time that I had a death grip on my seat. It also didn't help that I boarded the car with a family of three, and the 10-year old girl literally screamed bloody murder the entire time. I can say that I did it, but that was a one-and-done for me. 🤣

Well its hard to say 100 percent without seeing them of course. Fairly confident in saying no they aren't the same.

The pre order items usually outside of some old exceptions that you could only preorder here and there tend to be things you can buy at the expo once it opens up that weekend. The shirt you get as part of the race weekend is different.

If I had to guess. The t-shirt and jacket will probably be themed to the entire weekend. Where as the race shirts tend to be specifically to the race in question or challenge in the case of dumbo.

Jacket can be all over the board as far as what it looks like. Sometimes their heavier, sometimes their light. They usually are suited for runners though. T-shirt idk since I haven't done that bundle in years. Probably running material but no guarantee.
Ok thanks - That actually makes sense that one would be more specific race related and one would be more general. Just about to order the 134.99 package and it's like 155 with the tax and there's a platform fee smh- just FYI if anyone is going to purchase in the future.

As someone who has not previously weighed in on this topic, merely hoped in vain that it would go away on its own if ignored, let me simply state my view.

In my view, WAFDL and SAFD are on topic whether the weekly question is 100% contained to the race weekend or not due to fact that all participants in the discussion have a vested interest in the race weekend.

This vested interest may be due to planning to participate in the event (either signed up or hoping to at some later date in the future), having participated in the event in the past, or just interested in the event itself with no intention to ever participate due to other factors (participation in another rundisney weekend, family/friend participating, ect.)

Getting to know others with a similarly vested interest in the event is on topic, and thus is perfectly acceptable content for this thread.

It's not like we're going to have random people wandering in from the Disneyland forums asking "what should I do on my first trip to Disneyland?" We're going to have people participating in the race weekend asking for advice from their fellow runnners "What should I do on my first trip to Disneyland? (With the silent implication that this is in conjunction with the race weekend and all the other scheduling complications that make this trip different than any other trip to Disneyland would be.)

Anyway, I've said my piece, hopefully we go back to our regularly scheduled programming soon.

Ok thanks - That actually makes sense that one would be more specific race related and one would be more general. Just about to order the 134.99 package and it's like 155 with the tax and there's a platform fee smh- just FYI if anyone is going to purchase in the future.
Disney tends to make some really good race jackets in my experience. So its definitely expensive but I always feel like its worth the cost. Probably will get the bundle myself at some point

On a semi related to WAFLD. Considering those construction curtains went up at the old Steakhouse 55 a month ago. I'm hoping we might get somewhere new on property before January.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter