Disneyland Halloween Half Marathon Weekend 2024

This just makes me want it so much more! The half theme in particular is super cute and I love the Sanderson Sister characters. Definitely going to have to take the morning off work for this!

The 5k I like the best for some reason of the artwork (not saying they’re not all good). But something about the 10k art makes me cackle in a good way when I look at it. It feels appropriate for a race

Right now they don't show virtual races for this weekend. I don't know if that's a mistake or if runDisney is doing away with virtual options.
Wondering the same. I don’t do virtuals but it would suck for those who do. If they are dropping the timing would make sense unfortunately since this kicks off the official race season for runDisney technically from what I understand since it’s now the first race of the fall

Wondering the same. I don’t do virtuals but it would suck for those who do. If they are dropping the timing would make sense unfortunately since this kicks off the official race season for runDisney technically from what I understand since it’s now the first race of the fall
That was my thinking. It's the start of the 2024/2025 season and would be a good point to phase them out.

It would be a strange decision, it’s free money for them for minimal effort. Maybe DL just doesn’t have the staff to package everything? Guess we’ll see.
I’m figuring that the cost of shipping and packaging must be more than we realize. I know regular packaging can get expensive depending on what you’re shipping. I can’t imagine what it must be for the medals and shirts

If it’s being phased out I’m guessing it’s because overall that they’re losing more than they are making by a significant margin.

That $260 price tag for the half is steep! That’s $40 more than I paid for the marathon this year. Really hoping it’s a west coast thing but I’m sure it’s not 🫣.

I was wondering that with the January half marathon weekend. I would assume the CA races would be more expensive due to the COL being higher than Fl, the need to hire police from Anaheim and get permits from the city and the need to pay for people to man water stops would all add to the cost of the race. Plus Disney markup.

Anyway, would be surprised if the west coast races remained the same price as east coast.

I’m figuring that the cost of shipping and packaging must be more than we realize. I know regular packaging can get expensive depending on what you’re shipping. I can’t imagine what it must be for the medals and shirts
You’ve got me curious now, I’m gonna price this out.

UPS ground is $24 from Anaheim to my house in Houston based off of the weight and measurements of the last box I got, and that’s without bulk corporate discounts. Custom medal with moving parts <<<$10/unit at bulk scale, shirts ~$10 ea give or take, ~$3-5/box for manufacturing

Looking at the Stitch challenge for SSW you’re looking at
$20-30 shipping
$40 max for medals
$40 max for shirts
$5 for packaging
Total of $120ish?

Labor and design cost is the unknown factor here but given the $325 cost for the virtual stitch package I’d be amazed if they made up anywhere close to that difference, especially with all of the other brands that do this exact same thing and seem to be surviving well enough.

My guess is that either Anaheim doesn’t have the staff to do this (lending credence to the DLSE rumor), or they’re trying to encourage people to attend in person due to the event being so new and tickets/hotels/food being even higher margin than sending out boxes.

What does runDisney do to follow up on the logistical issues/disasters that plagued Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend?
Raise prices!
Not defending them but I think this might be a direct cause and result of the people selling photo spots this last year. Like timing isn’t great but it was probably going to happen the minute they noticed they could use the fee to make some money on the photos.

Like if the two aren’t connected after no one selling spots for years I would be shocked. I strongly suspect this is someone at the top realizing they were losing money and deciding to cover the photo fees.

It’s less to do with the DL races and more a result of covering a lost expense will probably see a spike with the FL races as well. It just happened to come between races

And considering how finicky Disney can get at times (I ended up not selling spots because I was worried they would bring the hammer down on all of us). I’ll take a price hike over the alternative

The timing is unfortunate but I don’t think it has anything to do with the quality of the races or the merch. But filling a gap

You’ve got me curious now, I’m gonna price this out.

UPS ground is $24 from Anaheim to my house in Houston based off of the weight and measurements of the last box I got, and that’s without bulk corporate discounts. Custom medal with moving parts <<<$10/unit at bulk scale, shirts ~$10 ea give or take, ~$3-5/box for manufacturing

Looking at the Stitch challenge for SSW you’re looking at
$20-30 shipping
$40 max for medals
$40 max for shirts
$5 for packaging
Total of $120ish?

Labor and design cost is the unknown factor here but given the $325 cost for the virtual stitch package I’d be amazed if they made up anywhere close to that difference, especially with all of the other brands that do this exact same thing and seem to be surviving well enough.

My guess is that either Anaheim doesn’t have the staff to do this (lending credence to the DLSE rumor), or they’re trying to encourage people to attend in person due to the event being so new and tickets/hotels/food being even higher margin than sending out boxes.
I guess it comes down to whether the no virtuals carries over to Wine and Dine.

I’m also just wondering in general how much they’re making off of people buying virtual slots. A lot of that appeal was because we couldn’t run in person because of what was happening in the world.

And I’m not faulting anyone who does but personally I’m not going to spend 400 dollars to run around my neighborhood. I have other races I could use that money for. And I’m probably not the only one who lost interest in the big money races once we went back to in person.

So the demand in general might have been decreasing. And who knows maybe they decided to cut their losses before they ran even more in the red.

Like I don’t know what rDs profit margin looks like, but I know having talked to people who work with race directors before that they don’t always run in the green. So if it came down to trying to save money and they have something already running in the red and it’s been losing popularity over time. They might have just decided to cut their losses before it became a worse problem if that makes sense

Not defending them but I think this might be a direct cause and result of the people selling photo spots this last year. Like timing isn’t great but it was probably going to happen the minute they noticed they could use the fee to make some money on the photos.

Like if the two aren’t connected after no one selling spots for years I would be shocked. I strongly suspect this is someone at the top realizing they were losing money and deciding to cover the photo fees.

It’s less to do with the DL races and more a result of covering a lost expense will probably see a spike with the FL races as well. It just happened to come between races

And considering how finicky Disney can get at times (I ended up not selling spots because I was worried they would bring the hammer down on all of us). I’ll take a price hike over the alternative

The timing is unfortunate but I don’t think it has anything to do with the quality of the races or the merch. But filling a gap
That's a generous and mature take on the situation.
My less generous and less mature take on it is that they know the theme will be popular and that the races will sell out even at an increased price, so why leave money on the table? I hope they at least decrease the number of runners and spread things out a bit for the safety and enjoyment of all.

Also someone noticed this in a chat I’m in. Photos are now included which might explain some of the price hike

I expect we’re going to see this carry over to the FL races
View attachment 828075
It will be interesting to see though I doubt it…. If they do however I might just save the $100 add on to my AP as I mainly pay that extra for race weekends

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter