Disneyland Reopening Speculation Superthread

... I am also surprised to hear that so many Anaheim hotels are open. Without the parks or convention center open, what is the draw?
... I think a lot of the timeshares opened in SoCal since they're trying to deal with the same points issues as DVC is. I own a contract with Worldmark and have seen several people in owners groups I'm in posting that they're enjoying the Anaheim properties as of about a month ago. I think for them the draw is just not losing their points while having a staycation.
I don't think everyone staying in the hotels and the timeshares is there for vacation purposes. We know people who had a long stay at one of the Worldmark properties because of an unfortunate house disaster. Their insurance put them at the Worldmark for almost a month while their home was repaired. They said that there were other families there for similar reasons. Also, they saw people coming and going from other hotels who looked like they worked at the area hospitals -- so those people were probably in quarantine so that they ddn't put their families at home at risk. Someone we know who is an EMT stays at a hotel while he is on shift so that he doesn't put hls family at risk.
Having local workers stay there is at least one way for some of those hotels to stay in business while DLR remains closed. Once the parks reopen, I don't know if this will continue, though. Vacationing families might not be too keen to know that hospital workers were living down the hall. Maybe if the hospital/front line workers could be housed in a totally separate wing/area?

I am also surprised to hear that so many Anaheim hotels are open. Without the parks or convention center open, what is the draw?
Maybe people are doing staycations? Plus it isn't far from DTD. I've also seen people report that they will drive from out of area to go to DTD and stay at a nearby hotel. So I doubt they have a ton of guests, but they have some.

stearing this back to DLR reopening related - how can VGC timeshares (perhaps along with GCH) reopen and support DtD and others? Would be an interesting step towards reopening like Disney did in Shanghai and WDW too before the theme parks opened.

stearing this back to DLR reopening related - how can VGC timeshares (perhaps along with GCH) reopen and support DtD and others? Would be an interesting step towards reopening like Disney did in Shanghai and WDW too before the theme parks opened.
Would you stay on weekdays? The hostess at Tortilla Jo's said that there is a marked difference for them (and probably the other businesses) between business on weekdays vs. weekends.

With distance learning in play? Definitely. If DLR had a food+wine offering, I have no doubt that VGC will fill up as Sept is a prime travel time for that.

DLR has a lot to offer besides indoor entertainment. While we would miss the rides and dualing pianos, we would gladly be happy walking down mainstreet or PP and have a few bites to eat over the evening and buy 65th anniversary merch.

With distance learning in play? Definitely. If DLR had a food+wine offering, I have no doubt that VGC will fill up as Sept is a prime travel time for that.

DLR has a lot to offer besides indoor entertainment. While we would miss the rides and dualing pianos, we would gladly be happy walking down mainstreet or PP and have a few bites to eat over the evening and buy 65th anniversary merch.
I agree that DLR has lots to offer besides rides. And DTD looked busy enough on a weekday evening. Even the Tortilla Jo's patio looked pretty full -- and there were several large groups having what looked like celebration parties of some kind, so clearly planned in advance for a weeknight. But the CMs were saying that they hoped weeknight business would pick up and that weekend business would hold steady. I agree with you that Disney really needs to make a move now to add something like a small festival type event, even just booths around the edge of the esplanade, as their next move forward. Doesn't have to be huge, just something to show that this is not just an ongoing stalemate.

At this point I would rather DLR just say they are not opening until December or January. CMs don’t deserve to be in the dark and I certainly don’t appreciate the quiet and lack of information😋- the waiting game is killing me. If it turns out that they can open earlier, then it would be a welcomed surprise, but until then, they should just call it.

I agree that DLR has lots to offer besides rides. And DTD looked busy enough on a weekday evening. Even the Tortilla Jo's patio looked pretty full -- and there were several large groups having what looked like celebration parties of some kind, so clearly planned in advance for a weeknight. But the CMs were saying that they hoped weeknight business would pick up and that weekend business would hold steady. I agree with you that Disney really needs to make a move now to add something like a small festival type event, even just booths around the edge of then esplanade, as their next move forward. Doesn't have to be huge, just something to show that this is not just an ongoing stalemate.

Add GCH for week long trip goers will definitely supply foot traffic. I can't believe that even operating at 20% would cost more to open than staying shuttered let alone the traffic it brings to DtD throughout the week.

Starters if Disneys concerned on reception of a full food+wine - Think D23 Food truck festival - Throw 2-3 trucks into the Esplanade and open mainstreet up to the hub/castle to draw in foot traffic through DtD - keep Harbor closed even to force the foot traffic -- people will endure the walk :)

At this point I would rather DLR just say they are not opening until December or January. CMs don’t deserve to be in the dark and I certainly don’t appreciate the quiet and lack of information😋- the waiting game is killing me. If it turns out that they can open earlier, then it would be a welcomed surprise, but until then, they should just call it.
Some work for some can go a long way these days. That's why we keep ordering out local shops to keep some sort of economy going during these days. -- 68% of GDP is consumer spending. Amazon only can support spending so much.

Add GCH for week long trip goers will definitely supply foot traffic. I can't believe that even operating at 20% would cost more to open than staying shuttered let alone the traffic it brings to DtD throughout the week.

Starters if Disneys concerned on reception of a full food+wine - Think D23 Food truck festival - Throw 2-3 trucks into the Esplanade and open mainstreet up to the hub/castle to draw in foot traffic through DtD - keep Harbor closed even to force the foot traffic -- people will endure the walk :)
Have you sent any of your suggestions/ideas to Disney? Whether or not they act on it, they need to know that the support is out there!

I don't think everyone staying in the hotels and the timeshares is there for vacation purposes.

Also, they saw people coming and going from other hotels who looked like they worked at the area hospitals -- so those people were probably in quarantine so that they ddn't put their families at home at risk. Someone we know who is an EMT stays at a hotel while he is on shift so that he doesn't put hls family at risk.

This is the state program that supports this, and I feel that larger hospitals might have resources available as well.

https://covid19.ca.gov/hotel-rooms-for-california-healthcare-workers/

I totally get this feeling, I get all the logical reasons for the silence but I’m frustrated. I know I complain about this a a lot but can’t we at least get an Avengers Campus update? If it’s being moved to next year, why not announce it and encourage 2021 trip bookings? Bah, talk to me Disneyland.

Have you sent any of your suggestions/ideas to Disney? Whether or not they act on it, they need to know that the support is out there!

Disney is pretty hardcore about not accepting unsolicited ideas/suggestions. Too much liability when they do something similar and then get sued for "stealing my idea."

I totally get this feeling, I get all the logical reasons for the silence but I’m frustrated. I know I complain about this a a lot but can’t we at least get an Avengers Campus update? If it’s being moved to next year, why not announce it and encourage 2021 trip bookings? Bah, talk to me Disneyland.
I am also wondering about Avengers Campus. I was actually very excited for it to be opening. I really really hope they are working on it so it can be done by the time they reopen.

Good to know! It looked like there were multiple slides to me, but I really didn't look much further once I saw the prices they were charging!

I was surprised too!

We stayed there a couple nights when it first opened to check it out. The rooms are really nice but not sure they will hold up well over the years. The pool has two large water slides, a splash pad, children’s pool, large jacuzzi, and regular. Plus a ton of seating, fire pits, and bbqs for guest use. There is also a bar and seating area just on the other side of the pool fence where you can see the pool. You can also order food and cocktails from the bar and they will deliver it to you at the pool. They also project a Disney movie by the pool every night. The biggest downside is it is right next to the freeway.

I am sure it depends on when you go, we were there in the middle of the week during the low season and there was only a handful of other people at the pool. We took Lyfts to get back and forth from the parks, the car ride was about 5 minutes. We also only paid $100/night for the room. It was a grand opening special. We normally stay at Marriott hotels and only stayed here because it was a great deal. We won’t be staying there again. Especially now that I know they aren’t following COVID health guidelines.

I wish the Courtyard by the park entrance had the Cambria seating and fire pits in the water slide/pool area. It’s one of our favorites off-site hotels, I just HATE the pool deck seating options.

Last edited:
There is absolutely no harm in letting Disney know that if they decided to hold some kind of event, the support would be there for them.

I totally agree with you. I'm just saying, anyone who does this will receive a canned response about how they cannot solicit ideas from guests. I have received this type of response a few times after providing feedback where I really didn't think the suggestions I made constituted anything novel. Something that would generate income, they will definitely take a firm stance on.

Personally, I'm just waiting to receive a survey as a "valued member of the Annual Passholder family" asking me how I would feel about just such an event. I'm almost certain they are already working on something like this in the event that theme park reopening aren't in the cards anytime soon.

OC Health just had a livestream where they talked about restaurants and reopening plans in general and said "we will be dealing with these restrictions over the next 3-6 months." Not great news if even dine in restaurants won't be able to resume normal operations for that long. I'm hoping the governor relents a bit with the improved numbers in OC. Disneyland must be really desperate to reopen by this point, especially seeing how well it seems to be working in FL.

I totally agree with you. I'm just saying, anyone who does this will receive a canned response about how they cannot solicit ideas from guests. I have received this type of response a few times after providing feedback where I really didn't think the suggestions I made constituted anything novel. Something that would generate income, they will definitely take a firm stance on.

Personally, I'm just waiting to receive a survey as a "valued member of the Annual Passholder family" asking me how I would feel about just such an event. I'm almost certain they are already working on something like this in the event that theme park reopening aren't in the cards anytime soon.

OC Health just had a livestream where they talked about restaurants and reopening plans in general and said "we will be dealing with these restrictions over the next 3-6 months." Not great news if even dine in restaurants won't be able to resume normal operations for that long. I'm hoping the governor relents a bit with the improved numbers in OC. Disneyland must be really desperate to reopen by this point, especially seeing how well it seems to be working in FL.
I don't know if this has anything to do with why Disney hasn't announced any further news or upcoming events: Union Claims Downtown Disney Cast Member Tested Positive

I hope that the CM in question has fully recovered and that no other CMs have gotten sick.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter