Disney's FORT WILDERNESS CABINS & CAMPGROUNDS Information & Questions

Hi everyone! Love the new thread! We stayed at the cabins for 8 nights in October with our 1 and 3 yr old boys and loved it so much that we are returning for 9 nights in May (1st-10th). We had no golf cart but did have our own car. We were on the DDP in October so would be happy to answer any questions about using CS credits at Trails End. For the record, the Bounty Breakfast is HUGE, FRESH, and TASTY!! So is the pizza--by far the best on property. You often have to wait a few minutes for the food since they basically cook to order, but it's worth it.

Just wanted to add a note about the PONY RIDES at FW. If your kiddies are too young or small for the horses, for only $5, you can take them on a nice pony ride through the ranch area. It was a major highlight for my three old.

Fort Wilderness really is just amazing, especially if you have small children. I was so worried about using buses (our kids loved them) and not having a golf cart. It really wasn't an issue at all. Having a full sized kitchen and a living area and a nice big bathroom was fantastic. I can't emphasize enough how awesome this place is. And cheaper than the cheapest rooms at the deluxe resorts! Doesn't even begin to compare! Please feel free to ask me any questions!

Oh - so exciting - tell us more! We are obsessing about Mickey Waffles! lol (Trying to figure out how to get them with a CS instead of a TS credit.) And can you go into the buses vs golf cart a bit more? I am on the fence.

On a whole OTHER note. I got some pixie dust this morning. For about a week now, I've been getting things in the mail from Disney... our little trip booklet, then a letter asking for the deposit $ for a golf cart (weird?), then my Disney Visa rewards booklet for the year (this year's perks) - well - every time I see something from Disney in the mailbox I jump, hoping it's a Pin code. Or that I won the trip. So far, no pin code, no trip. BUT, I found out that my Disney Visa let's me have six months interest free for a magic-your-way package. This was a godsend. I normally like to have my trips paid off by the time we go but sadly, it is not looking like that will be the case, so this is a real blessing. My wedding bookings (photographer) are down and I was starting to panic. They don't pick up until Memorial Day and we go April 24th. THANK YOU MICKEY!!! I can sleep better now! :love:

Hey all. We leave tomorrow.

:cool1: :cheer2: :thumbsup2 :dance3: :woohoo: :cool1:

I really will ask about the waffles.

:thumbsup2

Forgot about Ponchos. Several Years ago I left a backpack with Ponchos at MK, it was our last day and didn't realize it 'til we were on the road. We need to get more.

I'll try to send send y'all a report on Sunday. I soooo can't wait, it's still pretty surreal.

To all again, thank for being so welcoming and informative.

Don't forget those ponchos...ya never know! And we'll forgive you if you forget to check in ;) No pressure what-so-ever :rolleyes1

Hope y'all have a fabulous trip! Safe travels!!!!pixiedust: Can't wait to hear all about it!!!

You REALLY need to talk with your travel agent about that.

:rotfl: I'll be sure to mention it! Really unacceptable, isn't it??!....

Hi everyone! Love the new thread! We stayed at the cabins for 8 nights in October with our 1 and 3 yr old boys and loved it so much that we are returning for 9 nights in May (1st-10th). We had no golf cart but did have our own car. We were on the DDP in October so would be happy to answer any questions about using CS credits at Trails End. For the record, the Bounty Breakfast is HUGE, FRESH, and TASTY!! So is the pizza--by far the best on property. You often have to wait a few minutes for the food since they basically cook to order, but it's worth it.

:welcome: I see you're from the great state of Georgia!!!! ;) And thanks a million for the info on the breakfast and pizza. We'll be trying it for sure!

Just wanted to add a note about the PONY RIDES at FW. If your kiddies are too young or small for the horses, for only $5, you can take them on a nice pony ride through the ranch area. It was a major highlight for my three old.

I didn't know this! Really?? Wish we had done that on past trips. I'll definitely keep this in mind for June.

Fort Wilderness really is just amazing, especially if you have small children. I was so worried about using buses (our kids loved them) and not having a golf cart. It really wasn't an issue at all. Having a full sized kitchen and a living area and a nice big bathroom was fantastic. I can't emphasize enough how awesome this place is. And cheaper than the cheapest rooms at the deluxe resorts! Doesn't even begin to compare! Please feel free to ask me any questions!

You'e so right!! The Fort is like this hidden get-away that so many Disney resort goers don't really know about. Of course we might want to keep it that way so it doesn't get over crowded :laughing: I feel quite certain you'll have questions coming your way! :thumbsup2 Thanks!!

On a whole OTHER note. I got some pixie dust this morning. For about a week now, I've been getting things in the mail from Disney... our little trip booklet, then a letter asking for the deposit $ for a golf cart (weird?), then my Disney Visa rewards booklet for the year (this year's perks) - well - every time I see something from Disney in the mailbox I jump, hoping it's a Pin code. Or that I won the trip. So far, no pin code, no trip. BUT, I found out that my Disney Visa let's me have six months interest free for a magic-your-way package. This was a godsend. I normally like to have my trips paid off by the time we go but sadly, it is not looking like that will be the case, so this is a real blessing. My wedding bookings (photographer) are down and I was starting to panic. They don't pick up until Memorial Day and we go April 24th. THANK YOU MICKEY!!! I can sleep better now! :love:

Thank heavens for those Disney Visas!!!!! Love mine...especially the points :teeth: I wasn't aware of the no-interest deal...interesting.

Thanks for all the great info in this thread. We are heading down to the Fort in about 7 weeks (3/22 - 3/28), this will be our boys (7 & 9) first Disney experience. We are towing our Travel Trailer down from PA and staying at the campground.

I will post a pic of our Magic Bands this weekend. We've painted them but they aren't done yet.
Hoping I can buy t-shirt supplies this weekend and get those done too! I'm starting to feel the crunch. We leave in 19 days!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Thanks for all the great info in this thread. We are heading down to the Fort in about 7 weeks (3/22 - 3/28), this will be our boys (7 & 9) first Disney experience. We are towing our Travel Trailer down from PA and staying at the campground.

party: First time at Disney for your boys?!! Awesome!!! What a great age to experience the Magic! I always find it super exciting when someone tells me they're going to WDW for the first time. :goodvibes They will absolutely love Fort Wilderness Resort and Campgrounds....sooooo much to do there. The weather should be perfect for y'all - not too hot, not too cold. Will be a nice change from PA weather, huh ;)

So glad you joined us!
Happy Planning!

I will post a pic of our Magic Bands this weekend. We've painted them but they aren't done yet.
Hoping I can buy t-shirt supplies this weekend and get those done too! I'm starting to feel the crunch. We leave in 19 days!

19 days will so sneak up on ya! Better get to painting :laughing: I can't wait to see your crafty ideas. My mom and I have got to get started on that wreath, don't we :rolleyes1

party: First time at Disney for your boys?!! Awesome!!! What a great age to experience the Magic! I always find it super exciting when someone tells me they're going to WDW for the first time. :goodvibes They will absolutely love Fort Wilderness Resort and Campgrounds....sooooo much to do there. The weather should be perfect for y'all - not too hot, not too cold. Will be a nice change from PA weather, huh ;)

So glad you joined us!
Happy Planning!

19 days will so sneak up on ya! Better get to painting :laughing: I can't wait to see your crafty ideas. My mom and I have got to get started on that wreath, don't we :rolleyes1

I still love the wreath idea... did we get confirmation on whether the doors were in fact, metal? My family loved the magnets I made for the ship cabin door, why not do the same, but with an outdoorsy angle on the graphics?

I agree that the pony rides aren't very well advertised. They're probably the cheapest form of entertainment at WDW! I only ever saw one other family there the two times we went. The hours are a little limited. 10-5 if I remember correctly.

The bounty breakfast was sausage, bacon, eggs, hash browns, a biscuit, and French toast sticks. No way to get Mickey waffles with a CS credit there. But if you don't eat any part of the breakfast, vegetarian for example, they will give you double portions of something else. So it's basically pick six portions of the above choices. It was GREAT.

I agree about keeping the cabins a secret! Maybe we shouldn't praise them too highly. Too many bugs outside! Yuck! Stay away!

So glad you joined us!
Happy Planning!

Seven weeks out from today, I have to admit that out of the family I am probably the most excited. This will only be my 2nd trip to WDW, about 30 years since my last trip, and my wife has never been. This will also be our trip staying at a Disney resort, before we had kids we live about 20 minutes from Disneyland and California Adventure and were annual pass holders. We do have a day scheduled where we aren't going to the parks and are just going to hang out and enjoy the Fort, these next seven weeks can't go by fast enough!

So glad you joined us!
Happy Planning!

This will only be my second time at WDW, my first trip was about 30 years ago, and my wife has never been. Before we had kids we lived about 20 minutes from Disneyland and California Adventure and were annual pass holders, but this will be our first time staying on property. We do have a day scheduled where we are not going to the parks and are just going to hang out and enjoy the Fort. I have to admit I'm probably the most excited out of all of us, these next seven weeks can't go by fast enough!!!

Due to the aweful weather here in Chicago, we had to change our original vacation at Port Orleans to Fort Wilderness, but we are excited, none the less!! It has been almost four years since last trip and we will be celebrating my 40th, dd's 16th, ds 13th. Also dd has been asking weekly in not daily since our last trip when we can go again! So we are All very excited. Any tips, things not to miss or things that aren't all that great would be greatly appreciated. I am thinking of renting bikes from the place that is dropping off the RV that we will be staying in. We will have a limited budget, so no golf cart. It will be me and my kids, ages 16, 13, 9 and 6.
Thanks in advance!
:goodvibes

Is it bad that I'm starting to feel sad about the fact that we will be HOME from our trip in 23 days?

We are in Love!!! And we've been here less than 1/2 hour. We ended up driving in last night instead of this morning and were able to get a room at POP last night. The kids went swimming, we went to breakfast and then came to the Fort. Love it all ready. The kids have been ooing and ahhing since we pulled in. The only problem is it's so nice here we don't want to leave to go to the parks! So again thank you for all the advice. We'll keep you posted and I'll get to work on the waffle situation.:goodvibes

I still love the wreath idea... did we get confirmation on whether the doors were in fact, metal? My family loved the magnets I made for the ship cabin door, why not do the same, but with an outdoorsy angle on the graphics?

Here's a brief link about doors

Metal Doors

Love the idea of magnets! That was so much fun on the cruise, and I had a blast making them. I'll see if I can find some templates and post them.

I agree that the pony rides aren't very well advertised. They're probably the cheapest form of entertainment at WDW! I only ever saw one other family there the two times we went. The hours are a little limited. 10-5 if I remember correctly.

Definitely going to check this out in June. Hoping my 2 youngest aren't too big now :upsidedow This would be great fun for them.

The bounty breakfast was sausage, bacon, eggs, hash browns, a biscuit, and French toast sticks. No way to get Mickey waffles with a CS credit there. But if you don't eat any part of the breakfast, vegetarian for example, they will give you double portions of something else. So it's basically pick six portions of the above choices. It was GREAT.

This sounds like too much food for one person :laughing: but delicious. May have to be lazy one morning and do this!

I agree about keeping the cabins a secret! Maybe we shouldn't praise them too highly. Too many bugs outside! Yuck! Stay away!

Absolutely too many bugs! :scared1: And like Jennifer said...mice :scared1: frogs...lizards....Not a place for the faint of heart :rolleyes1

Seven weeks out from today, I have to admit that out of the family I am probably the most excited.

:rotfl: I can totally relate!

This will only be my 2nd trip to WDW, about 30 years since my last trip, and my wife has never been. This will also be our trip staying at a Disney resort, before we had kids we live about 20 minutes from Disneyland and California Adventure and were annual pass holders.

That's super exciting for your wife...and you! I've always wanted to go to Disneyland....one day, I hope!!! My parents went last year and had a phenomenal time. Even though it's much smaller than the World, they said it still has lots of Magic.

We do have a day scheduled where we aren't going to the parks and are just going to hang out and enjoy the Fort, these next seven weeks can't go by fast enough!

This is a must when staying at the Fort:thumbsup2 There are just too many fun activities to take part in:thumbsup2 These next 7 weeks are going to fly by for y'all....it will be here before you know it:yay: So you better get to planning your to-do list ;)

Due to the aweful weather here in Chicago, we had to change our original vacation at Port Orleans to Fort Wilderness, but we are excited, none the less!!

Y'all's weather has been horrendous:scared1: But what a nice break to be able to travel to sunny Florida and stay at the Fort Wilderness Resort!!! When will y'all be coming down?

It has been almost four years since last trip and we will be celebrating my 40th, dd's 16th, ds 13th. Also dd has been asking weekly in not daily since our last trip when we can go again! So we are All very excited. Any tips, things not to miss or things that aren't all that great would be greatly appreciated. I am thinking of renting bikes from the place that is dropping off the RV that we will be staying in. We will have a limited budget, so no golf cart. It will be me and my kids, ages 16, 13, 9 and 6.
Thanks in advance!
:goodvibes

Very exciting for your family!!! We've contemplated renting an RV to see how we like it. You'll definitely have to report back and let us know how that goes. I think you will be totally fine with bikes and no golf cart. Is it less expensive to rent bikes from the RV place than at the Fort? One thing you don't want to miss - especially for the younger ones - is the Chip and Dale Campfire. Lots of fun!!! Even my DS12 loves it. And don't forget about the Electric Water Pageant on the lake. And since you will have bikes, y'all can ride over to the WL and check things out over there.

Happy Planning! Let us know if you have any more questions:thumbsup2
Heather

Is it bad that I'm starting to feel sad about the fact that we will be HOME from our trip in 23 days?

STOP the madness :laughing: No thinking about the after effects of a Disney trip! Look at the bright side...when you get home, you can start planning another Disney adventure ::yes::

We are in Love!!! And we've been here less than 1/2 hour. We ended up driving in last night instead of this morning and were able to get a room at POP last night. The kids went swimming, we went to breakfast and then came to the Fort. Love it all ready. The kids have been ooing and ahhing since we pulled in. The only problem is it's so nice here we don't want to leave to go to the parks! So again thank you for all the advice. We'll keep you posted and I'll get to work on the waffle situation.:goodvibes

:cheer2: :goodvibes Y'all made it!!!! :cheer2: How exciting! And so glad you made it a little early!!

Ummm yeah....:rolleyes1 ya might have problems pulling the kids away from the Fort...:laughing: Good problem to have, though;) Can't wait to hear about y'alls trip!

Enjoy your vacation and thanks a million for checking in!!!
Heather

Magic Bands are done! We had so much fun decorating them. It's amazing what nail polish and gems can do! Now how the heck do I insert a picture!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter