• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's Magical Express

kslone2021

Earning My Ears
Hey! My family and I have been to Disney World several times, but we always have drove. We're planning to fly this November into Orlando airport instead of driving. How exactly does the magical express work? Does it cost extra? Do you tip the driver? Do I need to reserve ahead of time? I feel like a lost ball in high weeds right now lol... Any help or shared experiences would be awesome. Thank you!!!

If staying at a Disney resort, Magical Express to/from Orlando airport is free. You can make a reservation at the time you book your hotel. Website is somewhat flaky since you can't add ME after making the initial reservation. You can call Disney to get it added or some others will tell you to call ME direct. Either way will work. They no longer pickup your luggage, so you have to go to baggage claim after you land.

Any question about tipping anything at Disney usually ends up in an argument on here.............LOL. There is a sign at the front of the ME bus that says 'tipping is permitted for exceptional service".

We used it during our last Disney trip and really enjoyed having someone else do the driving and we can just enjoy being on vacation. Worked well for us.

Once you get your luggage, signs will direct you to magical express, you can call Disney or do it on MDE, there's no extra cost, tipping up to you, a couple of dollars per case/bag is what I usually give.
Hope this helps

Website is somewhat flaky since you can't add ME after making the initial reservation. You can call Disney to get it added or some others will tell you to call ME direct.

Disney doesn't really publicize it, but I've always used this form to make ME reservations and never had a problem.

We've always had great experiences with the service, except for one rainy evening at CSR when the bus to go back to MCO was half an hour late. Really sad that it's going away.

We are thinking of using Magical Express for the first time this year too (usually pick up a rental car at the airport). The only issue is DH thinks we will have a really long wait as we arrive in the evening. Anyone got any experience of how long we might have to wait if we land at around 8pm?

We are thinking of using Magical Express for the first time this year too (usually pick up a rental car at the airport). The only issue is DH thinks we will have a really long wait as we arrive in the evening. Anyone got any experience of how long we might have to wait if we land at around 8pm?

DME runs 24/7. Wait times are roughly the same at all times of the day, as they know roughly what the passenger distribution throughout the day will be (that's the primary purpose of having you make an arrival reservation), and can throttle the number of buses they need to keep wait times even.

Buses do not wait until they are filled before leaving, so arriving later in the evening doesn't put you at a disadvantage. The bus will wait about 30 min max before leaving. Consequently, you may be the only group on the bus and go directly to your resort.

Steve

DME is a nice way to get to Disney, I've never waited more then 20 minutes to be assigned a bus. Depending on how many stops the driver has, it might take about 90 minutes to get to your actual resort, though I have heard it can take up to 2 hours. Tipping is not required, the driver stores your bags under the bus for you. We always tip about $1 to $2 dollars a bag (at minimum $5 total) when we get to our destination. I take that back, once the driver basically threw our bags off the motorcoach (the bellman was even surprised), no tip that time! But that has not been the norm. Rule of thumb for me is, anyone (besides me or family) who touches our bags, is tipped for at least giving adequate service. Having worked many years in hospitality, tipping makes a difference and don't let anyone tell you it doesn't! :)

I thought they quit doing this? Did they start again.... HOPE!!
No, they have not yet stopped Magical Express. They announced that effective January 1, 2022, they will be no longer have magical express. That's still seven months away. OP is going in November 2021, so they will still have the service

My first Disney trip is in November. Using the Express, glad it is available for my trip.

Landed at 8:20PM. Picked up bags and got to DME about 8:50PM. Sitting on the bus by 9:05. Rolled out at 9:16.

If staying at a Disney resort, Magical Express to/from Orlando airport is free. You can make a reservation at the time you book your hotel. Website is somewhat flaky since you can't add ME after making the initial reservation. You can call Disney to get it added or some others will tell you to call ME direct. Either way will work. They no longer pickup your luggage, so you have to go to baggage claim after you land.

Any question about tipping anything at Disney usually ends up in an argument on here.............LOL. There is a sign at the front of the ME bus that says 'tipping is permitted for exceptional service".

We used it during our last Disney trip and really enjoyed having someone else do the driving and we can just enjoy being on vacation. Worked well for us.

Yes you can. I think it's under Modify, but I don't have an active reservation to make sure. I've done that for a couple trips over the past couple years.

I am planning a trip that starts December 30, 2021 and goes until January 8, 2022. On the website it says Magical Express will stop for “arrivals” on January 1, 2022. Does that mean the Magical Express will still operate for awhile after January 1, 2022 but only to bring people back to the airport? Wondering if I need transportation back to the airport or if Magical Express would still be operating for departures.

I am planning a trip that starts December 30, 2021 and goes until January 8, 2022. On the website it says Magical Express will stop for “arrivals” on January 1, 2022. Does that mean the Magical Express will still operate for awhile after January 1, 2022 but only to bring people back to the airport? Wondering if I need transportation back to the airport or if Magical Express would still be operating for departures.
Seems very unlikely to me.

That's the way I understand it, but can be wrong. This is very simple to find out... call DME, book your arrival date and try to book your return date. If they tell you they can't book it, you have your answer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter