Disney's YACHT & BEACH CLUB RESORTS Information & Questions

I noticed an activity listed for the Martha's Vineyard Lounge.

Is this new, or have they always had this?

I haven't noticed it before. How fun!

Little personal info- trivia is literally a family business for me. My brother owns an independent bar trivia business in Maine, NH and Mass. Really well done, with a mix of questions, chart rounds, pyramids, picture rounds and name that tune. Two of my cousins, and I occasionally write trivia for him. I help with publicity. We recently participated in a trivia fundraiser for a high school scholarship and my brother, nephew, cousin, his partner and I won $175 worth of meat.

My boys and even my dad are pretty good too.

:magnify:

I haven't noticed it before. How fun!

Little personal info- trivia is literally a family business for me. My brother owns an independent bar trivia business in Maine, NH and Mass. Really well done, with a mix of questions, chart rounds, pyramids, picture rounds and name that tune. Two of my cousins, and I occasionally write trivia for him. I help with publicity. We recently participated in a trivia fundraiser for a high school scholarship and my brother, nephew, cousin, his partner and I won $175 worth of meat.

My boys and even my dad are pretty good too.

:magnify:
That sounds like fun. We played lots of pub trivia in England, always came in second or third. Missed out on first because I didn't know Donald Ducks middle name. :rolleyes1

Thanks for the updates and pics! I'm sorry, but I'm going to harp on the beds again though. Now they've removed the pillows? Gosh....taking down the artwork and stripping the seashell knobs off the drawers next? I know many of the folks here were not fans of the decorative pillows and bed runners for sanitary reasons, but my thought was to just drop them on the daybed or floor. I really don't need to be hit over the head with theming, but now the rooms (and I understand this is happening at all resorts) look a lot more generic, and a lot less interesting. :sad1:

Can Disney not give us anything in the rooms anymore? I like my room sanitary just as much as the next person, but this is insane.

Just the bed and sheets...no carpet, no bed runners (which can be cleaned as easily as the sheets and should be), no blankets, etc.

If we are using the sanitary reasoning as a defense, then the upholstered sofas are 'un-sanitary', too, and maybe more so than anything in the room!

Here's an idea...just wrap the entire room in plastic wrap and vinyl so it can be wiped down. I hate this look. There has to be a better way.

@Lisann - It has been mentioned here and seemingly confirmed by someone "in the know" on another thread that the bed runners and, in some cases, the pillows will no longer be a part of room decor because of theft. As for the flooring, it really is the trend with hotels these days. I just got back from a trip where we stayed in six different hotels. Of the ones that were new or recently refurbished, they all had very minimal carpeting, if any at all.

@Lisann - It has been mentioned here and seemingly confirmed by someone "in the know" on another thread that the bed runners and, in some cases, the pillows will no longer be a part of room decor because of theft. As for the flooring, it really is the trend with hotels these days. I just got back from a trip where we stayed in six different hotels. Of the ones that were new or recently refurbished, they all had very minimal carpeting, if any at all.

To your first point:
I would assume if something is missing/stolen from a room, and Disney knows who stayed in the room last, well...

To your last point:
I don't want Disney to be like every other resort. Or trendy.

I guess I'll have to get used to it. Sigh.

To your first point:
I would assume if something is missing/stolen from a room, and Disney knows who stayed in the room last, well...

You would think...but according to the poster on the other thread, Disney decided it would be best not to be accusing their guests of theft.

To your last point:
I don't want Disney to be like every other resort. Or trendy.

I get that - I do. But, I have to say that the first time I stayed in a Disney moderate back in 2012, I was SO disappointed in how old and dated everything felt. I couldn't help but compare it to other hotels I had stayed in that cost significantly less. These changes make the rooms look and feel much more on par with non-Disney hotels. In the end, what they really must do is incorporate more Disney details, and that is where I think they may be falling short...starting with removing the bed decor.

Speaking from experience sometimes members of the public just can't be trusted to leave anything alone, present company not included. If it's not screwed down it will vanish unfortunately. There will always be someone who will think why pay for a Disney themed cushion in a store when they can take the one off the bed home "it's not as if one in hundreds will be missed". Unfortunately there will only be so much that can be predetermined to be lost through theft and not hurt the balance books after that it causes issues. Replacing them does mean less funds for the budget for the resort manager and all the relevant departments due to restocking and replacing said items. Sad state of things really is that the guests who book after this happens are the ones who suffer the less than stellar decor and amenities.
Perhaps they should go back to the system in place a few years back if it's missing after you check out you get the bill for it...like they did with the bath robes in concierge rooms. Mouse keeping could soon do an inventory check before cleaning the rooms once a guest checks out. They could report any missing items in no time on modern technology.

Speaking from experience sometimes members of the public just can't be trusted to leave anything alone, present company not included. If it's not screwed down it will vanish unfortunately. There will always be someone who will think why pay for a Disney themed cushion in a store when they can take the one off the bed home "it's not as if one in hundreds will be missed". Unfortunately there will only be so much that can be predetermined to be lost through theft and not hurt the balance books after that it causes issues. Replacing them does mean less funds for the budget for the resort manager and all the relevant departments due to restocking and replacing said items. Sad state of things really is that the guests who book after this happens are the ones who suffer the less than stellar decor and amenities.
Perhaps they should go back to the system in place a few years back if it's missing after you check out you get the bill for it...like they did with the bath robes in concierge rooms. Mouse keeping could soon do an inventory check before cleaning the rooms once a guest checks out. They could report any missing items in no time on modern technology.

Or....and I posted this recently....as they do at Paradise Pier in DL, leave a note out on the desk/end table stating that they are aware that the bed pillows are adorable, and if one disappears, what amount will be charged to your bill. So, "Disney," clearly doesn't have a problem stating this. I don't see what the big deal there is.

@wifey - my thoughts, too. Here is the discussion I had...

Too bad they just don't charge guests for the replacement of these things. I have been in several hotels where a sign on the desk states that the items are "for purchase" and if found missing from the room, you will be charged accordingly, and then they have an itemized list and the cost for each.

This was talked about but it was decided they would rather remove them than having to accuse a guest of theft.

I kind of think it isn't JUST "not accusing" but also the time and effort it takes (would take) to inventory, bill, deal with denials and "outraged" guests, order replacements, etc. it seems like a simple solution, but it probably isn't...

Or....and I posted this recently....as they do at Paradise Pier in DL, leave a note out on the desk/end table stating that they are aware that the bed pillows are adorable, and if one disappears, what amount will be charged to your bill. So, "Disney," clearly doesn't have a problem stating this. I don't see what the big deal there is.

Yet, I did not see such a note when I stayed at the Disneyland Hotel when I was there in 2015. I am ONLY SPECULATING about this, but I see two major things that differentiate WDW Resorts from DL Resorts that may play into how they handle the theft. 1) The sheer number of resort rooms on property at WDW. 2) The number of international guests. It may be relatively simple to recover losses from US and maybe even Canadian guests, but what about those from other continents? Are there rules/policies/laws etc. that prevent Disney from recovering those assets? I definitely don't know and may be way wrong. But my gut says that having so many international guests must play into it somehow.

The note was there as recently as July 2016.

Yet, I did not see such a note when I stayed at the Disneyland Hotel when I was there in 2015. I am ONLY SPECULATING about this, but I see two major things that differentiate WDW Resorts from DL Resorts that may play into how they handle the theft. 1) The sheer number of resort rooms on property at WDW. 2) The number of international guests. It may be relatively simple to recover losses from US and maybe even Canadian guests, but what about those from other continents? Are there rules/policies/laws etc. that prevent Disney from recovering those assets? I definitely don't know and may be way wrong. But my gut says that having so many international guests must play into it somehow.

This seems to have really come to a head when they went from full comforters to bed runners. Seems a "darned if you do, and darned if you don't" situation with off setting laundry costs/sanitary issues of comforters with replacement costs for runners/pillows that are small and easily packed. Similar to the years-ago decision to go from monogramed towels to plain white boring ones....

It's a shame there are some who think it's ok to steal...somehow I guess they justify it in their own minds. Me - I couldn't look myself in the mirror! My husband even thinks it's stealing to take the unused shampoos/soap left in the room... :tilt:

This seems to have really come to a head when they went from full comforters to bed runners. Seems a "darned if you do, and darned if you don't" situation with off setting laundry costs/sanitary issues of comforters with replacement costs for runners/pillows that are small and easily packed. Similar to the years-ago decision to go from monogramed towels to plain white boring ones....

It's a shame there are some who think it's ok to steal...somehow I guess they justify it in their own minds. Me - I couldn't look myself in the mirror! My husband even thinks it's stealing to take the unused shampoos/soap left in the room... :tilt:

I totally agree with you, my grandparents raised me better than that. No matter how cute it looks if you want it purchase one in the store don't just help yourself to the one in the room.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter