Disneyworld with 13 month old. Closest, easiest MK option? Do’s &don’ts ?

Justmango13

Earning My Ears
I’m looking between Contemporary resort, Poly, or grand Floridian , end of this February.I see the monorail is closed at poly , is it hard to get to MK ? Is it a far walk ? It will be our first visit with our 13 month old , and I’m looking for our easiest way into the park! Thanks in advance for any guidance ! I can’t wait to see the look on my little guys face his first visit !!

I’m looking between Contemporary resort, Poly, or grand Floridian , end of this February.I see the monorail is closed at poly , is it hard to get to MK ? Is it a far walk ? It will be our first visit with our 13 month old , and I’m looking for our easiest way into the park! Thanks in advance for any guidance ! I can’t wait to see the look on my little guys face his first visit !!
I can only speak for myself, but if I was going with a 13 month old, I’d probably be spending a lot of time at MK. For that reason I would look to stay at bay lake towers. It’s close to MK and can monorail to Epcot for adult time. Staying at bay lake would provide DVC amenities one with a 13 month old May need (kitchen and washer dryer).

See, this is exactly what I am trying to figure out. Thank you I liked the rooms at the poly for that second bathroom (perfect for a pack n play ) . But didn’t realize bay towers was a closer option.

If it's MK you want then yeah I'd go with contemporary. Being able to stroll out with a young one and walk to hotel room whenever you need without having to remove/pack/lug stroller for a bus is worth it's weight in gold(especially if sleeping).

Did they open up the monorail to Epcot yet tho? We were there Thanksgiving to early December and it was only doing the loop, couldn't get on it to or from Epcot.

If it's MK you want then yeah I'd go with contemporary. Being able to stroll out with a young one and walk to hotel room whenever you need without having to remove/pack/lug stroller for a bus is worth it's weight in gold(especially if sleeping).

Did they open up the monorail to Epcot yet tho? We were there Thanksgiving to early December and it was only doing the loop, couldn't get on it to or from Epcot.
EPCOT Monorail is still closed from recent reports

We are DVC and have stayed at villas at Grand Floridian (kids were 2 and 13 months), Poly villas (kids were 3 and 22 months) and and Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary (my kids were 3 and 5 and my 14 month old nephew was with us too.) All are great for different reasons.

We spend lots of time at MK. The Contemporary is the fastest walk. Bay Lake Tower even better if that is an option for you!

Grand Floridian and Poly were also great with the monorail (but I know you said Poly monorail stop will be closed.) The walk from Poly is longer than from Contemporary. If Poly is running the boat, the ride is nice, but Contemporary is definitely most convenient. It’s such a quick walk.

We stayed at GF when our daughter was right around that age. I found it to be a perfect choice for our family. We really enjoyed the pools there and nothing seemed like too far of a walk on property. Getting to MK via the monorail was easy and she enjoyed riding it. We were impressed with the different dining options on all levels of the budget (Grand Floridian Cafe, QS Gasparilla Grill and Narccoosee's for a nice meal). Walking around the beautiful lobby and resort in general was also highlight!

Bay lake is the closest. THe wilderness lodge is also another great option, still not too far from MK, a short boat ride away or super quick lyft ride back.

Easiest with a stroller is to walk from Contemporary. Other parks are a fold the stroller situation unless the monorail to Epcot is open when you go. You do not have to fold up your stroller on the monorail.

100% the easiest one to get to Magic Kingdom from is Contemporary. You even get to go through your own separate security. We stayed at Bay Lake Tower for one of our trips, and being that close to MK was EVERYTHING. So easy to go back to the hotel for naps/rest and then return to the park after.

In your scenario, I would not choose Poly. The walk estimates are about 10 min CR/BLT, 15 min GF, 25 min Poly. Poly has a long walk and no monorail stop. So, only a boat.
The walk from CR/BLT is only .5 mile. It is pretty great.

Thank You to everyone for the input. Clearly I would have made a big mistake going with poly so I’m super glad to have the advice ! Looks like a one bedroom at BLT would be the easiest option .

Looking for opinions: Poly in February, only DVC open due to remodeling so fewer people. Nice sandy beach area and pool. Again, less crowded due to rooms being remodeled. Very easy walk to the transportation center to hop on monorail to MK. GF now has a walkway to the MK. Beautiful walk. Nice pools - one with an area wee ones can walk in. Lots of great places to eat although some littles do not like to eat out. Others are fine. My favorite resort by far. Bay Lake also has a walk to MK a bit shorted then the walk from GF. Really all three are easy to get to MK. Be sure you take lots of pics of that little guy's face. What a joy. He won't remember a lot but the pics will be long talked about. You and Dad will have many special moments with your little one. Enjoy!!

We took our son at 18 months, so a bit older, but we stayed at Wilderness Lodge. He LOVED the boat ride to MK, and it’s significantly cheaper than the monorail resorts. Plus, we found the theme to be very family-friendly.

If you’re not concerned about cost, I’d go with the Contemporary. You can walk to MK from there and the Grand Floridian, but I feel like the Contemporary may be more appealing to a toddler than GF. I wouldn’t go with Poly right now - too expensive for not having monorail access.

I like BLT with that age. We took DD at 15 months and stayed at BLT. It was so nice to walk to MK and back for nap time. And a pack and play fits in the kitchen area/room. You won’t be able to use kitchen area with pack and play in there but we liked it put DD in a separate dark area so we could still watch tv and move around the room with our waking her up. We also brought a white noise machine to put in there with her to drown out any noise we made in the room. It worked perfectly.

oh and if you stay at BLT you get access to both splash pads at the DVC side and normal pool area. The DVC pool also has zero ft. Entry to the pool so it’s nice for little kids to play in the pool there. My DD loved the pool.

for our next trip, DD will be 20 months and we are staying at wilderness cause BLT wasn’t available for renting points. I’m excited for wilderness but nervous about not having the easy walk to and from MK that BLT has.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter