DL at the Grand or Alunai January 2020? / 50 bday trip

chimo2u

DIS Veteran
Good Evening my fellow Cdn Disney lovers! I’m having a bit of a dilemma. My 50th is coming up January 29, 2020.... I am trying to decide if I should do 6 days at DL staying at the Grand Californian/ hoping for club level... I’d book Sunday Jan 26 at a offsite hotel try to work in a trip over to Universal then move over to DL for Monday Jan 27- checkout on Saturday Feb 1. Or should I look at a week in Alunai?? Saturday January 25 - Saturday February 1, 2020???
Is there enough to keep 2 adults busy at Alunai or should I consider a different resort? (Like 4 seasons??)
I don’t know part of me is Leaning towards DL. I haven’t been since I was 20 and first dating my hubby. It would be nice to go back and share that 30 years later. I don’t like how close you have to book DL (like only 6 months out does it open up!!)
WWYD? Any thoughts or recommendations?? Thanks everyone!

I love Disney!

But I love Hawaii even more. Have you ever been!? I've never stayed at Aulani but my honeymoon was in Hawaii (Oahu and Maui). It was amazing, I almost cried at the airport, didn't want to go home, lol.

There is so much to do on the island of Oahu than just Aulani, you can always explore the rest of the island and not limit yourself to just the resort.

Either way, I'm sure you will have a great time planning, have a happy 50th!

Good Evening my fellow Cdn Disney lovers! I’m having a bit of a dilemma. My 50th is coming up January 29, 2020.... I am trying to decide if I should do 6 days at DL staying at the Grand Californian/ hoping for club level... I’d book Sunday Jan 26 at a offsite hotel try to work in a trip over to Universal then move over to DL for Monday Jan 27- checkout on Saturday Feb 1. Or should I look at a week in Alunai?? Saturday January 25 - Saturday February 1, 2020???
Is there enough to keep 2 adults busy at Alunai or should I consider a different resort? (Like 4 seasons??)
I don’t know part of me is Leaning towards DL. I haven’t been since I was 20 and first dating my hubby. It would be nice to go back and share that 30 years later. I don’t like how close you have to book DL (like only 6 months out does it open up!!)

My vote is for DL and staying at GCH! You can book direct through Disney for December 2019 right now so your dates should be opening up soon. Expedia and other online sites don't get inventory for a while though.

Have you thought about maybe trying to rent DVC points to stay there?

My vote is for DL and staying at GCH! You can book direct through Disney for December 2019 right now so your dates should be opening up soon. Expedia and other online sites don't get inventory for a while though.

Have you thought about maybe trying to rent DVC points to stay there?
Hi Aladora! No I hadn’t thought of renting DVC because A) I really like my room cleaned every day and B) I want to stay club level I know I’m spoiled lol .... just how I enjoy vacationing. My TA said Disney Land isn’t like wdw for bookings, she thinks I won’t be able to book until around next July timeframe :( I wanna book!! Lol

Another vote for DL. Staying at the Grand is amazing. It's nice to go to Disney without having to overplan everything months in advance, and SO nice to be able to park hop by foot and get into the parks within minutes of leaving your hotel room.

My only thought is that 6 days in Disneyland/DCA is a lot. I dont ever seem to book enough WDW days but last time we went DL/DCA we did 3 days and we felt it was just enough time. We had hoppers and with the two parks being so close to each other and smaller than WDW it was super easy to navigate. We had been before as well. Now this might be different with the new Star Wars Land opening but for me 6 days in 2 parks is a long time and I am very much a disney person

My only thought is that 6 days in Disneyland/DCA is a lot. I dont ever seem to book enough WDW days but last time we went DL/DCA we did 3 days and we felt it was just enough time. We had hoppers and with the two parks being so close to each other and smaller than WDW it was super easy to navigate. We had been before as well. Now this might be different with the new Star Wars Land opening but for me 6 days in 2 parks is a long time and I am very much a disney person
Thanks for your thoughts! Technically it will only be Monday to Friday (5 days) in the parks... we’d take 1 day for going off to Universal (Sunday) and travel home The next Saturday- so only a 5 day park hopper trip, plus as you said star wars land will be there and a new place to explore!

We’ve been to DL/DCA 2x - past year, 9/17 & 5/18. We had 5 day hoppers and for us, I couldn’t see doing less days. And those were 5 long days! We found enough to do. Sometimes going back to hotel for mid day break if we were planning on a late park night. Going back in Nov to see the Christmas decorations. Halloween last year was amazing.

Chimo2u I’d do Hawaii, rent a car to tour around the island too, not just stay inside Alauni. Happy 50th!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter