Do our American friends strive to visit the UK?

stevechase

WDW 2012
Hi all, not sure if this is the right place to post this, my aplogies if not.

Hoping that most of you on this particular forum are from the land of the free I have always wandered about something.

Here is the sometimes sunny UK we dream of visiting Disney World, we are going back in July 2007 for what will be our 3rd in total (and once to Paris), and although it is a year away it is something we are all looking forward to.

I think part of the appeal is that you get to go to the USA. I know nowadays that almost all of the world is pretty much accesible without any problems, but there is still something about the US.

So my question, for those of you still awake, do the Americans dream of visiting the UK in the same was we do the US, and if so, where about in the UK?

Thanks all, have a great day

Steve
Stourbridge, West Midlands, UK

HI Steve,
Greetings from sunny Florida--we can actually use some rain here.

We love the UK. I have been once-a long long time ago. My husband has spent a lot of time there (with the AIr Force) and we tried very very to get stationed there. The timing was always bad and we never did get to live there.

In Spring 2007 we are planning a trip to Germany--we had a hard time deciding whether to go to the UK or Germany and wound up tossing a coin! REALLY! Plus DH has family there that we should probably try to visit, although we will only have a week. I would like to go back to the UK in 2009-it will take me that long to save my pennies again.

So to answer your question-yes-we do dream of visiting the UK and Europe in general. I would love to take the kids to London to see that fabulous city. I would love to spend weeks (heck MONTHS!) exploring the countryside discovering all the charms of your fair nation. If all goes well in a couple of years we will.

Matter of fact, I miss my "Mind The Gap" t-shirt--yes I love tshirts can't help it. :rotfl:

Pleasant day!

Nice to hear you have so many things you wish to see here. I guess it is because it is familiar to us that we do not shout about it, London, is ok, I am not overly excited about it, but NY, I would love to visit.

Our countryside, I think we all take a little for granted, but you have mountains and canyons, come on! Mountains, how cool is that! (You have guns too, which sadly is creeping in here too)

I still think the that the Brits visiting the US, still has a bit more of a kick that the other way round. I like the way you are all so very very patriotic, its nice to think you love your country so much, and your national Anthem is way cooler than ours.

Cheers

Steve

Yup. We wish to go to the UK sometime in the next couple of years. Right now the exchange rate really isn't favorable for US-->UK, however.

My wife wants to do all the basic touristy UK stuff.

Me? I want to hit Alton Towers, Blackpool Pleasure Beach, Thorpe Park, etc.

:)

Matt

Hi Mat

It sounds so strange to hear people say thay want to visit those places from the other side of the Atlantic, I do hope you get to visit and enjoy.

I have a friend who has a cousin (stay with me here) that works in the movie industry in your fair land, in a far off place called California. He is a pyrotechnics expert (blows stuff up and gets paid for it!!, how bizarre)

Anyway they are related by some GI bride things from WWII. Anyway, when he (Frank Torro his name is) and his family visit my friend Chris in the UK, one of the things they have to do, is go out and get fish and chips and eat them out of the newspaper they are wrapped in, while walking down the street. This seems even odder, when your bear in mind that last 2 movies he worked on were POTC II & III and met the cast!

Have a great day, sun has gone in here and it is surely going to rain.

Cheers

Steve

My DS20 loves Ireland, so we made a trip there for his high school graduation in 2004. It was really nice, but I still want to visit England (that's always been my dream).

My ancestors are from Yorkshire, so I'd like to visit there. My favorite author is Agatha Christie, so I'd like to visit her home. Actually, I think that's why I love England, from reading her books. And of course, London would be great - Harrods, Windsor Castle, afternoon tea, theaters, etc. I'd just like to see in person all of the places I've heard and read about.

My DD15 would like to visit England or France or go on a Mediteranean cruise for her graduation, but I hope she picks England!

I think there are alot of americans who would love to visit the UK. I guess it seems at least to me to be a bit more expensive for us to travel there than for you to travel here. Not sure though.

I think most of us americans weather we are italian/english/irish/african american or any other nationality, that we all still feel that connection to the UK. besides england gave us basically most of what we are today as far as law etc.

I think We are alot closer than people realize and i think there are alot of people who would love to visit the UK sometime in their life.

for me i would love to, i guess i cant beat a $120 round trip ticket to orlando FL though :rotfl:

$120 roundtrip from where? It's over $300 roundtrip/pp from Houston and it's just a short skip over the gulf to Orlando!

Matt

I'm second generation American; my mother's parents came over from Wales in the early 1900's and kept a very British household. I love all things British and for our 20th anniversay my DH arranged a trip to London for us which included 2 days at teh British Museum, Harrods, St Pauls,the Tower,and Buckingham palace)a side trip to Bath to see the Roman ruins and a hop over to Cardiff, Wales. It was the most amazing vacation we've ever had .

Our next trip to the UK will includ a visit to York, so see more ruins (can you tell I'm obsessed with the Roman empire?), NOrth Wales to see some castles, and of course, a day in the Britsh Museum. I can't get enough!if the Pound ever weakens against the Dollar we'll go back. Right now it's just too darn expensive!

Ok ok, if we are on the subject of price, you cant compare to us unfortunate UK folk bound for the sunny isle of America.

We are going to Port Orleans Riverside next July for 3 weeks, 2 adults and 3 kids 10, 8 and 3. With tickets and spending at least 7500.00 (and I am talking proper money here lol not US Dollars) :sunny:

I am suitable depresed now to realise you can actually drive there.

And yes, it has started to rain.

Steve

By the way, glad to see the posts are starting now all of you lazy guys are out of bed, some of us have been up hours! :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Steve

I've been up for three hours (since 0530 local time) and its a Saturday to boot!

Of course, I wouldn't be up if it weren't for this pesky job-thing. :p

Matt

Ok everyone,

www.blackcountrytourism.co.uk

This is where I live, The Black Country, in the centre of the UK about 10 miles from Birmingham. Claims to fame, not many really, Aston Villa Football Club, All the worlds finest crystal glass comes from the region and the anchor for the Titanic was made not 5 miles from where I stand (there was a waste on money).

Robert Plant of Led Zepplin lives nearby. A four bedroom house with garden and garage in the area will cost approx 200,00.00 upwards (pounds again) and a pint of proper English ale at a local pub will cost you about £ 1.80, www.bathams.co.uk, this is my local.

Enjoy

Steve

I would love to visit the UK. My DD15 went to the England, Ireland and Scotland when she was 12 as a student ambassador and she LOVED it. I have been to Germany and Swizerland and loved them too.

I would love to have and endless supply of money to tour everywhere in the UK.

I do love living in the US and hope to visit every state including Hawaii and Alaska. So far I have visited California, Utah, Nevada, Denver, Nebraska, Minnesota, Missouri, Arkansas, Tennesse and Illinois. We live in Iowa and LOVE it here. Could do without the humidity and the wind chill factor though....lol

Lori

i fly from Newark, NJ. a big airport, continental has a big hub up here with lots of flights every day to orlando. so its very cheap. last year i got round trip for only $78

Good morning from Kentucky! Yes, another American wanting to visit the UK. I've always wanted to- I've had a fascination with the UK since I was young. Long story why...

My mother had a pen pal in the late 50's/early 60's from, let me see if I can get this right: Ware, Hertforshire, England- sound right? Anyway, they continued to write for years after I was born and even I started writing to her when I was 9 or 10. I saw so many beautiful pictures and "Aunt" Vivian encouraged me to save my 'pounds and pennies' to come visit one day. She sent my mother a doll for me when I was born and I still have it- saving it for my daughter; and I have a lovely handkerchief she sent when I was little to carry with me when I married- which I did.

The last time we heard from her was October 1978- then, both having children by that time, they lost track of one another. I guess I'm hoping one day to travel to the UK and somehow find and meet her! When in Epcot I like to imagine what it would be like to "be there for real" Yep, pretty corny...

And, like Praise2Him said "And of course, London would be great - Harrods, Windsor Castle, afternoon tea, theaters, etc. I'd just like to see in person all of the places I've heard and read about." well, that's me too! Have a wonderful day and enjoy planning your 2007 holiday!

duckfan78 said:
i fly from Newark, NJ. a big airport, continental has a big hub up here with lots of flights every day to orlando. so its very cheap. last year i got round trip for only $78

IAH is the same size as Newark's airport and is Continental's MAIN hub and headquarters no less, however the cheapest I can price to MCO on Continental is ~$380/person!

Explain that!

Matt

Massachusetts family here. :wave: We're on the list for a UK holiday. It may not be until the kids are a bit older, but we're on the list.

I will not leave this life without having a pint in a pub in London and Dublin. Until then, I'll be bellying up at the Rose and Crown or Raglan Road.

See ya soon. :drinking1

English beer is a true gift from the Gods, although I wouldnt guarentee you will get it in London, lager swilling softies down there I am afraid.

If you are ever in a pub that sells it (which is basically about 8 pubs in the Black Country), try Bathams bitter, 4.5% approx, beautiful.

www.bathams.co.uk

Steve

stevechase said:
Hi all, not sure if this is the right place to post this, my aplogies if not.

Hoping that most of you on this particular forum are from the land of the free I have always wandered about something.

Here is the sometimes sunny UK we dream of visiting Disney World, we are going back in July 2007 for what will be our 3rd in total (and once to Paris), and although it is a year away it is something we are all looking forward to.

I think part of the appeal is that you get to go to the USA. I know nowadays that almost all of the world is pretty much accesible without any problems, but there is still something about the US.

So my question, for those of you still awake, do the Americans dream of visiting the UK in the same was we do the US, and if so, where about in the UK?

Thanks all, have a great day

Steve
Stourbridge, West Midlands, UK

I :love: the UK!! I would love to take my kids someday, too. DH and I went in 1986 on our honeymoon, just to London for a week (then Paris for another 4 days-wasn't impressed with Paris as much as UK..) Loved the city, the shows, the charm, everything..DH had studied in London and travelled throughout for a summer, so he knew the places pretty well.

We went back in 1991 for a car trip. Drove up to Manchester, where Inlaws of inlaws (brother-in-laws parents) lived in a small cottage in the middle of one of the National Parks..so beautiful. Joggers running through the fields of the park were allowed access to their property because the path ran right though their yard..That wouldn't go over very well here...LOL.. Then we drove through York, and my favorite part was driving through the Yorkshire Dales. We stopped at a pub where James Herriot used to go, I even had hopes of him signing a book I dragged all the way over..No luck, and he passed away not long after that trip. Driving through the Dales (so breathtaking) we noticed a herd of really chubby furry ponies (it was fall-they must have been getting their winter coats..) so we pulled over. They all came around us, about 10..after feeding them all the breadsticks we had, they became quite belligerent and tried to kick us..We hopped in the car and left, noticing in the rearview mirror that another tourist had pulled over to see the nasty buggers for himself.. I hope he had something to feed them, they would not have treated him nicely if he didn't.

And how can I forget the pubs...I didn't drink beer then, but I did develope a taste for cider...I had a bottle of it here a little while back...yuck..My favorite name for a pub has the be the Slug and Lettuce. :rotfl:

I have a good friend that moved to South Carolina about 8 years ago from Isle of Mann. From her description of the Island, I would love to visit there, also. She's a Manx!

I DO dream of going to the UK, but it is a big budget trip, both money and timewise. What I would really love would be a Dickensian Christmas..maybe someday..

Everyone in the UK treated us so well...except those "Killer" ponies!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter