Do they try to up-sell you at Palo?

While high-pressure sales tactics can be off-putting, and it's not appropriate for a server to be pushy, it's also important to keep in mind that the things that are being offered are meant to enhance the dining experience and many people enjoy them, so it's understandable that they offer them. For example, I prefer sparkling water with my meal (at any meal) and generally don't like tap water at a restaurant, stemming from a bad experience many years ago, so I like to be offered the choice as it saves me from having to request it after a glass of tap water is brought to my table. At the same time, I cannot stand the taste of truffles so I'd have no problem saying "no," irrespective of price. But for people who like truffles and know what ordering them entails as far as the cost goes, it's nice for them to have the option.

Keep in mind, particularly those of you who are conflict averse, that the server is working for you and you deserve to feel good about what you order! And also keep in mind that most people pass on the options (which is why they're options and not included) so if the server is disappointed, they chose the wrong career as it will happen time and time again.

Excellent points. And though we grossly overspent at Remy, it was not because of pressure. It was because the DH was just plain not paying attention to the PRICES of the offerings, though he certainly honed in on what those scrumptious options were! :joker:

We eat at Palo every cruise and have never had a server upsell us anything. Up 'feed' us? Yes! Hey, can't decide between the souffles' offered? let me bring you both :lmao:But no, never an upsell, it's always been a wonderful dining experience whether brunch or dinner.

We also eat at Palo every cruise, no up selling but definitely up feeding! We always stick to the basics - regular water, order the cheapest wine etc. without judgement. However, they definitely like to make sure you are well fed!! The servers aren’t shy with bringing multiple appetizers and desserts and if you are remotely indecisive about your entree, they will bring you more than one!

That is what I heard about Remy and makes me never want to dine there - we just aren't foodies anyway, but I hate pressure while eating!

We've been offered extra charge items at Remy but never felt pressured. DH did order the truffles but I declined (ick to truffles for me unless they're chocolate ones). The server made every upsell item very clear as to whether it was an upsell and what the charge was but if you said no, he just moved on without reaction. I don't really recall any upsell items at Palo other than wine but they may have added things now. I don't consider it pressure to offer you something as I might actually want to take advantage of it. If they persist, then that's pressure or if they radiate or express any sentiment when you turn it down that's pressure. But if they offer and you say no and move on, that is what they should be doing.

EDIT: At that particular dinner, DH also had the sparkling water (tap water for me - don't like the taste of sparkling water). He had the regular wine pairing, I had the champagne pairing which was offered to me (I didn't even know it was a choice until the server mentioned it when I said I liked the Collette cocktail because of the champagne in it) which was more expensive than the regular wine pairing. We both turned down the Wagyu beef not because we don't like it or even because of the price but simply because the menu options were fine and we wanted to try them. At Victoria & Albert's DH will sometimes ask if they can do a caviar upcharge (he had it there once when it was on the menu as an upcharge and he fell in love with it - yuck for me) and they usually oblige. Never had any server turn their nose up at us because one or both of us turned down options - they have no idea if it's for price or preference and shouldn't care.

Last edited:
Outside of the first time at Palo's in 1999, where they pushed bottled water, we have never had any upselling at Palo's

It has been 2 years since I've sailed, but have been on many DCL cruises and always a couple of times at Palo (dinner and brunch, and in the old days, High Tea!), each cruise. I have never found them to be "upselling". They will offer wine pairings as any fine restaurant would, but in my experience, that's pretty much it.

REMY however??? YIKES!!!!!!!! DH and I travel a LOT and have dined in some nice places, but our 1 and ONLY 1 meal at Remy they uncharged (our choice of course) the heck out of us! DH did not realize he was adding $75 at a pop for multiple courses. Our dinner for 2 was $500. :scared: :crazy2: :sad2: :o

Well, for anyone dining at Remy that doesn't want to blow up the bank, they had better be listening and asking questions. It was black truffle season when we dined there and they had quite a presentation about their truffle course offerings which were NOT the regular menu. I was listening that it as $75 PER course or something like $200 if you wanted all 3 truffle courses. PER PERSON. DH was apparently zoned out, and he not only ordered a couple of truffle courses but ALSO ordered the Wagyu beef option!!! Which was at least another $75!!!!! :scared: :scared: :scared: I was about to have a coronary, and of course, he was NOT picking up on my unspoken messages (laser eyeball looks, eyebrows raised to the ceiling, squirming in my chair, nearly fainting, LOL, you get the picture), so he just merrily racked up a MASSIVE dinner bill.

Pitiful and ironic thing was that my elk entree/main course (off the regular menu, NOT up-charged), was better than his oh-so-pricey Wagyu beef. :sad2:

Remy for us is one and done. Palo is the place for us peasants!! :D

Nothing wrong with being fiscally prudent! :cutie: Have fun at Palo!

You have us beat on Remy's. We only did $400/2 not even sure how we did that. Except we had been warned by our bartender at our mixology class on the cost of the port wines at Remy's. Of course after lovely evening and dessert rolls around and we are offered the Dessert wine list, our server mentions that he has a very special port and we heard through his thick accent "$17/glass". DH jumped at that and order it for both of us. Only to learn it was actually $70/glass. (Head thump)

You have us beat on Remy's. We only did $400/2 not even sure how we did that. Except we had been warned by our bartender at our mixology class on the cost of the port wines at Remy's. Of course after lovely evening and dessert rolls around and we are offered the Dessert wine list, our server mentions that he has a very special port and we heard through his thick accent "$17/glass". DH jumped at that and order it for both of us. Only to learn it was actually $70/glass. (Head thump)

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Oh honey, I feel your pain. It was a LOVELY dinner, but WHEW! Thanks for sharing your story.:goodvibes We are diehard Palo fans. And I won't have to keep such a close eye on my DH to keep him from going crazy ordering those lovely options!!! :rotfl:

Last year at Palo on the Wonder ...

Brunch - really the only up sell items are bottled water, wine and drinks.

Dinner - there is the menu items "on the left side" that are either / or a Wine Pairing or Fixe Prix menu. Remember that the charge state here is IN ADDITION to the base fee to eat in Palo. In addition to these there is the bottled water, wine and drinks.

Really, not much of an up sell in Palo.

We also eat at Palo every cruise, no up selling but definitely up feeding...The servers aren’t shy with bringing multiple appetizers and desserts and if you are remotely indecisive about your entree, they will bring you more than one!
Agree with that! It's true at the MDRs, too.

Why would the upsell you? Just for the added 15% gratuity? I leave a generous tip anyway. I always assumed most people tipped.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter